Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show...me...your print variations! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722)

steve B 04-22-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1973400)
Good analysis Steve. The intentional change definition sounds simple but can be complicated in practice. It Topps adds a option or traded line that is easy, but it is often impossible to tell if a defect was discovered and intentionally changed or not

Another good example are DPs. In the last printed Standard Catalog Lemke listed variations for the 52 Mantle, Thompson and Robinson. PSA does not recognize them. The differences can be found on the front and back. The differences were likely not intended but did result from an intentional decision to DP those 3 cards

George Vrecheck has written articles on DP differences in the 63 and 55 (56?) sets. Green tint non pose differences from 62 are another example. Probably not intended but did result from an intentional change in the printing process. Variations ?

Bet a lot of 52 Master collectors are praying PSA does not adopt the 52 Mantle as a variation ;)

It would be tough to come up with a hobby definition that all would buy into or that would cover all past and future official variations

PSA really should recognize those. If I remember it correctly, Nozaki listed the Mantle, Thompson and Robinson in his book. I've known about the different ones since maybe 78, and would have learned it there.

The dealer I hung out at had a copy they'd let me read on slow days. One time I borrowed it, photocopied the whole thing and thought I brought it back. I went through some old stuff of mine and found it like 30+years later.
Either that, or I bought it on one of their auctions and forgot I did.

steve B 04-22-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1973634)
Greatly appreciate all your work Richard

I'll add a "me too" on all the work Richard has done. Everyone who has made a major effort to document this stuff should get some hobby recognition of some kind.

Cliff Bowman 04-23-2020 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For the nearly twenty years since I bought the Rick Reuschel on eBay I have kept an eye out for the other half, a Art Howe underneath it on the sheet. He finally showed up last week. Both cards are cut identically so I thought maybe they were both off of the same exact sheet, but it looks like the blue ink flaw doesn't line up perfectly when they are placed together. Now if I could find the Bill Atkinson that was under the Bob Boone...

ALR-bishop 04-24-2020 02:53 PM

Good ones Cliff

savedfrommyspokes 04-24-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1973997)
I'll add a "me too" on all the work Richard has done. Everyone who has made a major effort to document this stuff should get some hobby recognition of some kind.

Absolutely appreciate Richard's efforts to document all of the different types of variations he has encountered. For years I have used the variations list he has worked tirelessly to compile as a resource. Thank you Richard!

savedfrommyspokes 04-24-2020 08:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1974158)
For the nearly twenty years since I bought the Rick Reuschel on eBay I have kept an eye out for the other half, a Art Howe underneath it on the sheet. He finally showed up last week. Both cards are cut identically so I thought maybe they were both off of the same exact sheet, but it looks like the blue ink flaw doesn't line up perfectly when they are placed together. Now if I could find the Bill Atkinson that was under the Bob Boone...

Nice finds Cliff....

In looking through some 67s recently, your former nemesis the 67 Monteagudo print variation appears to be a progressive variation of sorts. As we know from post 1463 (https://net54baseball.com/showpost.p...postcount=1463) the cause of the variation appears to "originate" on the Monteagudo card. In looking through other Monteagudo cards, I noticed what appears to be a smaller anomaly (does not reach the edges). While a challenge to see on screen, this is much more obvious in hand. Besides my copy, here is a copy from COMC....the tell tale is the horizontal red line in Monteagudo's hair on his right side and the difference on his left eye brow. My question is which anomaly was the original one, the anomaly that broke the black border or the smaller one?

4reals 04-24-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1972702)
Nice work! The card on the end of the top row can also be found with the print error of green in the ball, Russ Kemmerer. Personally, I'm not a fan at all of considering these 1961 cards with dashes of green in the ball as variations, even the Fairly that fills up three quarters of the ball. They are just interesting print anomalies. ETA: There are a few of the 61 Moryn on COMC.

That's cool, Cliff! Apart from the dash of green in the baseball, the left edge of the stat box is also wavy instead of straight.

e6phillips 04-26-2020 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a variation of the 1956 Haddix - red line in the upper right corner.

I've seen a lot of posts about 1956 variations but have not seen this one mentioned.

Attachment 396721

Attachment 396722

Attachment 396723

ALR-bishop 04-26-2020 02:29 PM

Thanks for posting it Eric

Sliphorn 04-28-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e6phillips (Post 1974980)
Here's a variation of the 1956 Haddix - red line in the upper right corner.

I've seen a lot of posts about 1956 variations but have not seen this one mentioned.

Attachment 396721

Attachment 396722

Attachment 396723

It APPEARS to me, after researching this card, that this only occurs on gray back versions. I have not seen it on the white ones. I have a gray one and it has the line. I think I did see a gray back on eBay that did not have the line, but I am not sure. Thanks for posting this!