Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Honest, unbiased thoughts from a member, i.e. current boards situation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240980)

ullmandds 06-13-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1670680)
Yes, Adrian was on a post limit. I think that it was 15 posts per day.

What card did you sell him? Was it the T206 MURR'Y card that he went on and on about, then sold it a month later on ebay after he was banned on Net54?

adrian was not the best "counter."

ooo-ribay 06-13-2017 07:16 PM

I stick to the memorabilia side 95% of the time. I only venture to the card forums out of curiousity. I can say with certainty there is waaaaaaay more drama and negativity on the card side.

Paul S 06-14-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1670655)
Epic understates it. Many of his posts are classics of the genre. His observations on Virginia Tech may never be equaled.

Chao was harmless and I am pretty sure he was never banned - more like chased off the board. He never burned anybody except for the arses of some members who had a low threshold for frustration. That was the best part of it all, to sit back and watch some people explode.

slidekellyslide 06-14-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1670839)
Chao was harmless and I am pretty sure he was never banned - more like chased off the board. He never burned anybody except for the arses of some members who had a low threshold for frustration. That was the best part of it all, to sit back and watch some people explode.

He was surreal. I really did not believe he was a real person until Steve M. actually met up with him.

timn1 06-14-2017 09:34 AM

+1

I guess it's human nature to be drawn to the train wreck threads, but I agree with Rhett here. OTOH, if no one has any knowledge to contribute to an "educational" thread, then they can't. Everybody can put in their two cents to the train wrecks. :eek:

Hey Rhett! Post something about an obscure set - I'll help keep it on the front page for a while, at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1670374)
Just my opinion but some of it has to do with the fact that when a thread is started to actually get some research done about cards and/or baseball or inquiries are made about actual Pre-WW2 cards NOBODY freaking responds and the threads quickly get buried under the other stuff. The threads with drama and headache get hundreds of responses and thousands of views.

Not the biggest deal in the world but Just in the past 24-48 hours a thread was started about the 1912 Zeenut set and there were 4-5 responses or so and the thread has disappeared to the abyss of "Page 2" and will probably never be seen again. Another thread discussing our hobbies history from the 1940's got 2 responses and POOF!, gone.

A lot of the past members of this board (which I still enjoy very much) no longer post as they feel it isn't worth their time to post meaningful things just to have them be unappreciated and buried under threads about trading for a dream card (nearly 400 replies), pissing contests, posts about banned members, and other stuff that just serves to piss off other people.

I joke sometimes that feel like I personally am the "post killer" as I feel like as soon as I write a reply the thread I am responding to tends to get no more action and is gone in a matter of hours. Not sure what that means other than I may not be all that popular :)

Peter_Spaeth 06-14-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1670839)

I think he was banned actually.

PowderedH2O 06-14-2017 11:02 AM

I am of the belief that if you get any reasonable quantity of people on a message board, there will be some disagreements. My wife is a pastor, and as such, she is active on a couple of religious boards. While there may not be any cussing, the arguments do get heated and insulting, and this is from religious leaders that are supposed to be beyond petty squabbles.

So, when I read posts here, I note that we are all people and we all have a similar interest, but otherwise we are different. Very few of us get together outside of the boards, so few of us know what each other's lives and struggles consist of. If we agreed on everything, boredom would set in. I'm ok with healthy debate. I'm not so big on namecalling, but to be honest, that is rare. Overall, the board has been a positive experience for me.

mattjc1983 06-14-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1670470)
+1 Blowout is ridiculous compared to this. Bunch of jerks that rule the boards over there. I probably edit more than 1/2 of my posts on that forum so that people don't get their panties in a wad. And if you try to sell something there and you aren't 20% below ebay, the vultures will descend on you immediately regardless of their intentions to purchase. This is a great place and a great forum. IMHO

That's the "Iowa nice" speaking there; I can relate as a fellow Iowan. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Beastmode 06-14-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderedH2O (Post 1670927)
I am of the belief that if you get any reasonable quantity of people on a message board, there will be some disagreements. My wife is a pastor, and as such, she is active on a couple of religious boards. While there may not be any cussing, the arguments do get heated and insulting, and this is from religious leaders that are supposed to be beyond petty squabbles.

So, when I read posts here, I note that we are all people and we all have a similar interest, but otherwise we are different. Very few of us get together outside of the boards, so few of us know what each other's lives and struggles consist of. If we agreed on everything, boredom would set in. I'm ok with healthy debate. I'm not so big on namecalling, but to be honest, that is rare. Overall, the board has been a positive experience for me.

+1. I think some have set their expectations too high. It's a forum, anyone can say just about anything, and that's what I expect to see.

Shift through all the BS and you'll find some great nuggets of information. I certainly did and have been educated for the better.

unamuzd1 06-14-2017 11:24 PM

I read a lot and don't post much. This board is one of the most useful and collegial I've visited, and I've been doing internet forums since Usenet (go look it up, kids...). There are going to be disruptions in any community, but I've not seen anything lately that made me worry about the future of Net54. The number of people in this thread with double- and triple-digit user numbers from when we ported over from the prior site says a lot about how consistent the community has been.

EvilKing00 06-15-2017 04:10 AM

Beena member going on 5 years, everything seem to be he same. If anyting, less drama. Though i did kinda enjoy the drama threads, lol

Zach Wheat 06-15-2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1670540)
Adam Moraine, the Bruces, Marshall Barkman, Sean the 11 year old kid with ADHD, Chicago dude, Adrian . . . did I miss anyone?.

You missed Peter Chao. He appeared to be a smart guy and I enjoyed his sparring with Lichtman. :)

Z

Zach Wheat 06-15-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1670540)
........Marshall Barkman, Sean the 11 year old kid with ADHD, Chicago dude, Adrian . . . did I miss anyone? Leon Luckey's Flying Circus ain't what it used to be. Am already starting to miss Joey Farino.

Marshall was opinionated, but I enjoyed his enthusiasm. Marshall Barkman's website:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/5404...ll-Barkman-III

Edwolf1963 06-15-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickedson (Post 1670621)
Personally, I enjoy checking this forum on a daily basis. I look at it as I would any other kind of entertainment - if I don't like what I see, I go to something else. But, like most of us, collecting is a shared passion.

This pretty much sums up my sentiment. Been here 8 years now. I have learned a lot about the hobby over the years from the site and those here. I do miss the entertainment aspect that Marshall and some of the others previously had brought though.

Zach Wheat 06-15-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 (Post 1671226)
This pretty much sums up my sentiment. Been here 8 years now. I have learned a lot about the hobby over the years from the site and those here. I do miss the entertainment aspect that Marshall and some of the others previously had brought though.

Unfortunately it seems like many of the knowledgeable dinosaurs (Hi Ted) :) no longer post. I miss having them share their accumulated knowledge. I learn more from reading their posts and/or discussing cards than most other places.

Z