Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Babe Ruth mitt from youth in Goldins Next Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220290)

ullmandds 04-05-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1523493)
I wonder how many lawsuits were threatened?

exactamundo!

jefferyepayne 04-05-2016 09:37 AM

AND everything that is wrong with the hobby continues .....

jeff

botn 04-05-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1523503)
I look forward to this convincing evidence being added to the auction description.

May not be enough time to get to that with all the time needed with his lawyer. That's the way it is done but maybe next time.

ullmandds 04-05-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1523564)
AND everything that is wrong with the hobby continues .....

jeff

+1

Michael B 04-05-2016 10:31 AM

I stand by my opinion that it is not the same mitt as shown in the photos. LAWYER AWAY!!!!

slidekellyslide 04-05-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1523593)
I stand by my opinion that it is not the same mitt as shown in the photos. LAWYER AWAY!!!!

Are you looking to join the Cease and Desist Club? :D

bcornell 04-05-2016 10:44 AM

[REMOVED] This forum is done.

Michael B 04-05-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1523597)
Are you looking to join the Cease and Desist Club? :D

It would be difficult as I state it is my opinion. Tortious interference would be a stretch. My lawyers - my wife, my boss and every one of my clients.

slidekellyslide 04-05-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcornell (Post 1523603)
Can we ask that forum advertisers not sue forum participants?

I don't think Goldin is an advertiser on this forum any longer.

botn 04-05-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1523629)
I don't think Goldin is an advertiser on this forum any longer.

That would be correct. On this locked thread on Ken Goldin, http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155017, post 270, Leon states that he is no longer an advertiser.

btcarfagno 04-05-2016 12:11 PM

They did change the Williams jersey item description after contacting me. No lawyer needed and no retraction from my stance. They did a good job on that one certainly.

Tom C

Peter_Spaeth 04-05-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1522531)

This thread keeps shrinking. Another one I had not noticed before. I don't think I've seen anything like this.

JustinD 04-05-2016 01:39 PM

Sending a BS cease and desist warning, threatening to break someone financially in a time consuming fruitless lawsuit whether they are right or wrong, but just for offering an opinion is a sad business practice.

It's unfortunate that this has become a commonplace situation. It seems if I was sitting on the bench, I would clearly voice some serious disdain to the party that brought this to my court.

Commonsense can more often than not clarify slanderous or defaming statements from opinion.

(name above :D)

earlywynnfan 04-05-2016 03:29 PM

Since everyone is spouting off about cease and desist letters, did anyone actually get one??

gnaz01 04-05-2016 04:24 PM

What surprises me is that, while Ken and team may not be an advertiser on here any more, he still is a member and almost always chimes in on threads where his items are challenged by the board.....:confused:

slidekellyslide 04-05-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1523808)
What surprises me is that, while Ken and team may not be an advertiser on here any more, he still is a member and almost always chimes in on threads where his items are challenged by the board.....:confused:

And apparently he's trying to control Net54 the same way he does GUU.

botn 04-05-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1523808)

Hey Greg,

He used to come on here and reply. Once he was identified as a shill bidder on the Mastro list, he vanished. Since that time there have been other threads where people have identified other controversies and he has not replied but privately would send emails lobbying for people to let certain threads die.

Take care,
Greg

WindyCityGameUsed 04-05-2016 06:02 PM

mickeymao34 04-05-2016 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1523821)

That site was destroyed the minute when CC chose to take the path he took. He personally responsible for it becoming CUU. Is he even interested in the hobby besides collecting Benjies?

dhernandez 04-06-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed (Post 1523861)
Whats shameful is that Goldin crew is always paranoid about imaginary fake forum accounts when the reality from what I have seen on the internet is that Kenny started pulling a version of that routine back in the Don West crank call days.

By the way Phil316 is no improvement from the Don West days either bro and I'm quite sure Russek would love to run an IP address checker on that Phil316 account and then bump into you at a National to discuss the findings.

Ron, There is a GUU house rule on that site where you cannot go blatantly ramble on and blast a AH, and yet Phillip here was given free reign to do so.

GoCubsGo32 04-06-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

+1

mickeymao34 04-06-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

It's been a while since I've been on that site but out of curiosity I took a look today. That site has gone absolute bottom barrel from what it was pre 2013 or even 6 months ago. It use to have "todays post" fill almost the whole page and it currently only has 6 current posts with the day almost over-Pathetic. The days of Kingjammy is nothing but GUU nostalgia now. In those days there was some real interesting reads and informative stuff that could help new collectors and old. There were wide ranging topics of all the 4 major sports including minor sports. There were many old time collectors from the SCD era that shared they're knowledge with the GU community. Truly golden era of days gone by. Today its become the turdish era of free advertisement hidden in the mask of an open forum. Since the day Chrissie shook that hand the site has turned into government controlled censored site. It slowly evolved from what it was to now in its present state with censorship, deletions, redactions, threats of banishment, banishment, force fed advertisement masked as posts, plants, silly rules that are meant to protect the one but not the whole (but yet one member has the right to critique AHs) and the mass exodus of old timer members whether by force or by disgust. A big thunderous hand for Chrisie

botn 04-06-2016 06:35 PM

Mike,

Isn't Goldin the one calling the shots there now?

Greg

mickeymao34 04-06-2016 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"In Chrissie We Trust" Thank You

mickeymao34 04-06-2016 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greg, MASTER! MASTER!

WindyCityGameUsed 04-06-2016 07:18 PM

mickeymao34 04-06-2016 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed (Post 1524360)
If there is a purgatory then IMO Christy has a special place waiting 4 him there after he SOLD OUT and took away the voice of the very same collecting community that GUU was founded for all in the name of a buck and for his henchman part in silencing all who didn't get on board with the new AH sponcered propaganda/advertisement program and those individuals who had the audacity to question Papa G

say it again! i know you won't!

ElCabron 04-07-2016 01:09 AM

So what do I have to do to get threatened by Goldin's lawyer. I want in.

botn 04-07-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1524434)
So what do I have to do to get threatened by Goldin's lawyer. I want in.

Well a good start would have been to post on any of the threads in which Goldin was being discussed. Sadly a few of them have been locked.

Leon 04-07-2016 04:48 PM

They were open a long time. I had enough of them, simple as that.
There is always another opportunity around the corner though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1524511)
Well a good start would have been to post on any of the threads in which Goldin was being discussed. Sadly a few of them have been locked.

botn 04-07-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1524676)
They were open a long time. I had enough of them, simple as that.
There is always another opportunity around the corner though.

Yes sir! Was not being critical of your decision. Just expressing my remorse over your decision.

WindyCityGameUsed 04-07-2016 06:12 PM

mickeymao34 04-07-2016 06:20 PM

Zastrow... hmmmmmm I wonder if that any relation to Justin Zastrow the infamous Milwaukie Bucks ballboy who happen to write infinite number of LOA's for NBA GU jerseys. Family DNA?

dhernandez 04-07-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed (Post 1524709)
David

I just looked and couldn't find that Mathewson bat anymore in the Goldin auction or any explanation as to what happened?

And that wasn't just any bat according to the advertisement is was:

"used during the most impressive World Series pitching performance in the game's history and signed and dated by John McGraw is, well, dare we say unprecedented! Not only is this the only game used Christy Mathewson bat in existence, we believe it is the earliest World Series game used bat and represents the very first World Championship in the history of professional New York sports".

"A full board of comprehensive documentation from the hobby's leading experts completes this Hall of Fame-worthy Christy Mathewson World Series game used bat. Game used experts MEARS have thoroughly examined this incredible artifact and have given it their highest grade of A10 (314257). Likewise PSA/DNA have examined the bat and awarded it their highest mark of GU10 (1B01858) and the signatures have a certificate of authenticity from JSA (X56499) and PSA/DNA (U04226). A notarized letter from collector Terrence R. Zastrow documents the provenance of this historic piece of baseball history.
Due to its unique position as 1) the ONLY game used Mathewson bat in existence, 2) One of the very few game used or worn items that exists from Mathewson's career, 3) The oldest certified game used item that was used in a World Series, 4) The earliest known team signed bat (By World Series Champions!), 5) The city of New York's first major professional championship in ANY SPORT, We feel this bat represents the single most important game used bat ever offered for public sale".

That was sum bat David I wonder what happened?

Google Terrence R. Zastrow and see what interesting things you find.......

Ron, you apparently have a beef with the Ken. Since you quoted me you can see for yourself that I'm not a big Ken booster myself but in all fairness I give him credit for some great items. I don't know why bat was pulled but even in your post it has a iron clad Mears A10 grade. You can rip on me all you want but I don't let personal feelings toward a person or company downgrade everything they offer. This is obviously a historical amazing piece. I'm not looking for an argument just stating what this auction house has to offer and many of it are great items.

David Atkatz 04-07-2016 10:53 PM

Let's get back to the title item of this thread.

Anyone believe for a second that a young George H. Ruth ever stuck his big mitt into that mitt?

Peter_Spaeth 04-08-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1524804)
Let's get back to the title item of this thread.

Anyone believe for a second that a young George H. Ruth ever stuck his big mitt in that mitt?

Well, apparently Mr. Murphy was shown powerful evidence that he did, but he refuses to share it.

Stonepony 04-08-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1524900)
Well, apparently Mr. Murphy was shown powerful evidence that he did, but he refuses to share it.

....or persuasive evidence

vintagesportscollector 04-08-2016 10:54 AM

The Goldin Auction listing has been updated with more detailed evidence from MEARS authentication.

WindyCityGameUsed 04-16-2016 10:37 AM

David Atkatz 04-16-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindyCityGameUsed (Post 1528300)
Is it possible? yes

It is a mitt I give you that! is it highly conceivable that it was the Babe's?..........................

No.

The story is absurd on its face. What did Ruth take with him when he left St. Mary's to play professional baseball--as a pitcher, not a catcher? A right handed catcher's mitt, absolutely useless to him. And it makes even less sense that the powers-that-be at St. Mary's would allow inmates to take precious sporting equipment with them when they left.

It's as authentic as the Shroud of Turin.

botn 04-20-2016 05:42 PM

I see Ron deleted all of his posts on this thread too. WTF????

Michael B 04-20-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1529888)

That may be true, but isn't it great that almost all of his comments were quoted and those cannot be deleted. Courage of conviction is in short supply. I stand by everything I stated in my posts in this thread.

earlywynnfan 04-20-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1529934)
That may be true, but isn't it great that almost all of his comments were quoted and those cannot be deleted. Courage of conviction is in short supply. I stand by everything I stated in my posts in this thread.

"Courage of conviction" from Ron? Not so sure you're going to find any. Being bored, I looked back over his posts. Here's what I found:

Bash Ken/Goldin
Bash Dave Mediema
Bash Troy/Mears
Bash all authenticators/policies

Now, don't get me wrong, all of the above are open to discussion, all make mistakes. But someone with "40 years of experience in this hobby" has nothing positive to say in any thread? Nothing to show? No helpful insight to share? Come on!

The man is a troll.

slidekellyslide 04-20-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1529888)

Another one bites the dust? This is extremely odd to have this many Net54 members deleting posts like this in one thread.

botn 04-20-2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1529994)
Another one bites the dust? This is extremely odd to have this many Net54 members deleting posts like this in one thread.

Must be some letter these guys are getting.

Michael B 04-21-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1529960)
"Courage of conviction" from Ron? Not so sure you're going to find any. Being bored, I looked back over his posts. Here's what I found:

Bash Ken/Goldin
Bash Dave Mediema
Bash Troy/Mears
Bash all authenticators/policies

Now, don't get me wrong, all of the above are open to discussion, all make mistakes. But someone with "40 years of experience in this hobby" has nothing positive to say in any thread? Nothing to show? No helpful insight to share? Come on!

The man is a troll.

I agree that his posts were soapbox harangues. If you can't stand behind what you say, even if most people don't agree, then there is no courage of conviction. What was the point if he deleted them?

Peter_Spaeth 04-21-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1529994)

Perhaps they all saw the light.

Troll or not, Ron seemed to have some strong convictions, so this is a surprise. I guess we can only speculate on what brought this about.

Peter_Spaeth 04-21-2016 08:31 AM

$155,000 so far.

Leon 04-21-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1530098)
Perhaps they all saw the light.

Troll or not, Ron seemed to have some strong convictions, so this is a surprise. I guess we can only speculate on what brought this about.

I think it might be, what I am told, thesis MEARS wrote on the glove in support of it being authentic.

Peter_Spaeth 04-21-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1530105)
I think it might the, what I am told, thesis MEARS wrote on the glove in support of it being authentic.

Then why didn't Ron, instead of just deleting everything, delete it but say I have now read what Mears says and I find it convincing? Why didn't Murphy do the same after being asked to explain his change of heart? I find the circumstances of these deletions disturbing.

I hope it (the glove) is real, it would be an amazing story.