Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shipping? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245055)

Snapolit1 09-20-2017 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsFan (Post 1702676)
This is just between you and I. Don't tell the other guys...

There are many locations you can choose from, post office, hardware or grocery/convinces store. They are all likely to sell bubble mailers in Qty among other shipping supplies. This way you can greatly reduce your number of trips. You have your cards and the packaging in the same location. This way once you've packaged your items there is only one trip to the post office.

Also might I suggest adjusting you post office visiting times. I've always had my best luck between 10-11am and 2-3:30pm. This should greatly reduce your time spent waiting in line.

but like I said, keep it on the dl.

Thanks! My post office is on Wall Street and don't see many hardware stores in the area. Will look today.
Putting aside time spent, I spent $7.75 on shipping and got 8 bucks something after pay pal fees. Should I go to confession today and apologize to a high power for this terrible price gouging? Now I'm terribly wracked with guilt and shame.

tschock 09-20-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1702693)
Bought a small digital postage scale years ago and Im sure it has paid for itself several times over now.

I have an old 32 oz spring scale for food that the wife has had for years. Don't use it any more for food but use it for weighing small packages. I calibrated/verified it by weighing a few boxed items on it, taking them to the PO, and having them confirm the weight readings I got. In my case they were almost dead on and haven't had any issues with wrong weights.

I've found that going to your local PO as a 'regular' and working with the same people there can really help when you DO have a problem.

tschock 09-20-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1702693)
Havent bought a bubble mailer in years - since I am both a buyer and seller I open carefully and reuse most all of the bubble mailers that my purchases come in.

Yep. Same with bubble wrap, peanuts, boxes, etc. And I'm "Saving the planet" too! ;)

Ship unto others as you would have them ship unto you! :D

smallpaul2002 09-20-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1702383)
Try being in Canada, where eBay charges ridiculous amounts through their Global Shipping Program. I'm with you, I include those charges when bidding, and seldom win anything from anyone who uses that program.

Lots of discussion around whether Americans who use that program actually realize it lowers the number of potential bidders for their products.

The problem is Canada charges duty on any imported items with a value of over $20 CDN..Our American friends to the south are allowed to bring across $800 "duty free"..The Canadian government has not changed their import laws for well over 50 years..This is nothing more than an additional "tax grab" by the Canadian government and significant "hosing" of Canadian taxpayers.

Complaining about Americans charging too much for shipping is ridiculous..The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..

Stampsfan 09-20-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 (Post 1702747)
The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..

That's good information to know. Thanks.

Is there an explanation on the wide range of GSP prices that one sees on similarly priced items?

bobbyw8469 09-20-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Is there an explanation on the wide range of GSP prices that one sees on similarly priced items?
That is 100% Ebay.....the sellers collects none of it, the seller sees none of it. He ships it off to Kentucky for the $3.50 (or so) that he charged American bidders.

irv 09-20-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 (Post 1702747)
The problem is Canada charges duty on any imported items with a value of over $20 CDN..Our American friends to the south are allowed to bring across $800 "duty free"..The Canadian government has not changed their import laws for well over 50 years..This is nothing more than an additional "tax grab" by the Canadian government and significant "hosing" of Canadian taxpayers.

Complaining about Americans charging too much for shipping is ridiculous..The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/onli...imus-1.3656603

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1702834)
That's good information to know. Thanks.

I always wondered that myself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1702837)
That is 100% Ebay.....the sellers collects none of it, the seller sees none of it. He ships it off to Kentucky for the $3.50 (or so) that he charged American bidders.

I wondered how that worked? Ironically, E-Bay tells sellers they are not allowed to charge anymore for shipping than what it actually costs. :rolleyes:

PowderedH2O 02-05-2018 10:15 AM

I just had a buyer that bought two items from me and had me ship them via the Global shipping program. The package sat in customs for 12 days before finally being sent on its way on Saturday. Guess who now has two opened cases through ebay from the buyer who wants to know where their item is. Really? Guess who will NEVER EVER EVER ship to Canada again. Me. Not unless I personally know the buyer. Otherwise, forget it. All risk for me.

steve B 02-05-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1702082)
For any card over $100 I usually ask $10 for shipping. Covers the priority mail box and the occasional purchase of bubble wrap and tape. And my time to walk to the post office and wait in line. And send you an email with tracking info. May not be the cheapest but card will be safe and haven't lost one yet.

In any event, the price of shipping is pretty irrelevant by itself. What's important is how much you are paying for the card plus shipping.

If you buy the postage online you don't have to stand in line or go to the post office. It's been a while, but the last time I did it, there was a very low additional price for the tracking for priority.

Republicaninmass 02-05-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1745375)
If you buy the postage online you don't have to stand in line or go to the post office. It's been a while, but the last time I did it, there was a very low additional price for the tracking for priority.

But when they dont scan it in, all the time saved is lost in refunds

wdwfan 02-05-2018 04:50 PM

I print mine off at my office. Saves a bit, and added tracking on priority doesn't cost anything. But I still have to go to the PO to drop it off. I usually stand in line to drop it off. That way it gets scanned. Sometimes, it'll be after they close when I do the drop off. So I just put it in the blue box. But the point is, you still have to go to the PO and drop it off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1745375)