Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How to acquire a Hank Aaron in person Autograph (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260163)

theshleps 10-21-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1925257)
My buddy the lifelong Cardinal fan had a similar experience with Bob Gibson and to this day he hates him, bad day or not.

Interesting. The first in person autographs I got were in 1966 at the Commodore Hotel. Bob Gibson and Curt Flood.

Huck 10-25-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dio (Post 1924236)
Is he still signing any more?

During the current World Series, Hank was present for the annual Hank Aaron award. In my eyes he was leaning on the podium quite hard for support. He is 85 years of age. I would never say never, but I would think his days of public signings are likely done. Then again, I thought after his stroke Ted Williams was done but John Henry Jr. wheeled Ted out there for the CSA Senators reunion back in 1998. I think Hank will continue to do private signings as he pleases and it will not be cheap.

Forever Young 01-22-2021 07:27 PM

Thankful

I was just thinking of this thread and how happy I am that i got my piece signed. I can’t believe it’s coming up in 2 years ago.

Anyone have any great Hank Aaron signing stories and pics to share?

Ben

theshleps 01-23-2021 06:52 PM

Even tho I was a big Braves fan in the 1960s I will always have mixed feelings about Mr Aaron. I went to the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC to get Braves autographs when they were there to play the Mets in 1967. Waiting outside the hotel when my idol Hank came out. I asked him to sign my autograph book. His reply was "Go play in the traffic son". Him and mantle were my never forgotten stories of my childhood.

Clydewally 01-24-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 2059423)
Even tho I was a big Braves fan in the 1960s I will always have mixed feelings about Mr Aaron. I went to the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC to get Braves autographs when they were there to play the Mets in 1967. Waiting outside the hotel when my idol Hank came out. I asked him to sign my autograph book. His reply was "Go play in the traffic son". Him and mantle were my never forgotten stories of my childhood.

what happened to you with Mantle?

theshleps 01-24-2021 02:42 PM

1966 outside the St Moritz in Manhattan where Mantle stayed during the season. I had a full page picture from Sport Magazine of Mickey and Casey already signed by Casey. Mickey comes out and I am super nervous and courteous and he is standing out front. I go up and say Mr mantle can you plase sign this picture which I show him. He spits his tobacco in my face and walks off. I cry all the way home. That being said Mantle and Aaron were my ownly horror stories of my 1966-1968 in person autogrph ventures at the NYC hotels

7nohitter 01-24-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 2059760)
1966 outside the St Moritz in Manhattan where Mantle stayed during the season. I had a full page picture from Sport Magazine of Mickey and Casey already signed by Casey. Mickey comes out and I am super nervous and courteous and he is standing out front. I go up and say Mr mantle can you plase sign this picture which I show him. He spits his tobacco in my face and walks off. I cry all the way home. That being said Mantle and Aaron were my ownly horror stories of my 1966-1968 in person autogrph ventures at the NYC hotels

Wow, that is awful, truly. What a jerk move by Mantle.

Seven 01-24-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 2059778)
Wow, that is awful, truly. What a jerk move by Mantle.

I think that's part of the reason why once the show circuit started, Mantle was so willing to sign. I know he expressed a lot of regrets towards the end of his life, especially after the cancer diagnoses.

Still that's no excuse for what he did, to a kid no less. It'd make me never like him, if I had that personal experience.

jad22 01-25-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 2059760)

That's awful.

perezfan 01-25-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2059780)
I think that's part of the reason why once the show circuit started, Mantle was so willing to sign. I know he expressed a lot of regrets towards the end of his life, especially after the cancer diagnoses.

Still that's no excuse for what he did, to a kid no less. It'd make me never like him, if I had that personal experience.

Don't ya think that getting paid lots of money had something to do with it as well?

I'm pretty sure there were also some ground rules, which included not spitting tobacco juice in kids' faces.