Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hey Big Spender (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=138481)

Orioles1954 06-27-2011 11:20 AM

Bruce,

Are you going to the National this year? Any big ticket items you know that will be there that you will have your eye on? What about the live auctions?

James

Abravefan11 06-27-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 (Post 904127)
Should we decide to collect assholes in the future...

I've got a Wonka and Rob D which are the two biggies from the A hole set. :D

mdschulze 06-27-2011 11:34 AM

Why do most people on here get their damn feelings hurt so easily????? Are we really so insecure and thin-skinned that we honestly give a damn what someone else in cyberspace thinks and says? Feel free to call me names, insult my lack of intelligence, wish death upon me and my loved ones, talk about what went on with my mother last night, make personal comments about whatever you want.... it just doesn't matter in my world. Besides, there's not one thing anyone on the internet can say to me that hasn't already been said to me in person by my ex-wife.

I, for one, enjoy reading Bruce's posts (and I don't know him personally so I'm not biased). This guy obviously has a vast knowledge of cards and he really brings some interesting threads to Net54 that typically incite good conversation. Also, @ Wonka, please don't stop posting scans of your cards and by all means please don't refrain from sharing info... I've learned a great deal from your posts in the past.

Bottom line, words are just words. If no one is stalking anyone and trying to cause physical harm, then it's really no big deal. We all need to learn a little humility and be able to laugh at ourselves and quit stressing out over the trivial name calling. Besides, it will make Leon's life a lot easier as well.

-Mike Schulze

Yankeefan51 06-27-2011 11:41 AM

Natiional

Hope to attend. It is all a matter of health and what the Doctors say
in early August.

Would like more Negro League pieces, ad display pieces, a few tough wrappers
and the usual card suspects.
Thanks for the good wishes

Bruce

Wite3 06-27-2011 11:56 AM

You really want an autograph picture of my asshole? Grammar must not be taught at Wharton. I can provide it but only to a top tier collector like yourself. It will cost you...

Joshua

Robextend 06-27-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdschulze (Post 904144)
Why do most people on here get their damn feelings hurt so easily????? Are we really so insecure and thin-skinned that we honestly give a damn what someone else in cyberspace thinks and says? Feel free to call me names, insult my lack of intelligence, wish death upon me and my loved ones, talk about what went on with my mother last night, make personal comments about whatever you want.... it just doesn't matter in my world. Besides, there's not one thing anyone on the internet can say to me that hasn't already been said to me in person by my ex-wife.

I, for one, enjoy reading Bruce's posts (and I don't know him personally so I'm not biased). This guy obviously has a vast knowledge of cards and he really brings some interesting threads to Net54 that typically incite good conversation. Also, @ Wonka, please don't stop posting scans of your cards and by all means please don't refrain from sharing info... I've learned a great deal from your posts in the past.

Bottom line, words are just words. If no one is stalking anyone and trying to cause physical harm, then it's really no big deal. We all need to learn a little humility and be able to laugh at ourselves and quit stressing out over the trivial name calling. Besides, it will make Leon's life a lot easier as well.

-Mike Schulze

+ 1

tiger8mush 06-27-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abravefan11 (Post 904143)

I do believe they were double-printed :)

Orioles1954 06-27-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 (Post 904149)
Hope to attend. It is all a matter of health and what the Doctors say
in early August.

Would like more Negro League pieces, ad display pieces, a few tough wrappers
and the usual card suspects.
Thanks for the good wishes

Bruce

Last years National was really thin on wrappers. I've always wanted a 1933 DeLong but have never seen one come up for public sale. Let me know if you spot one...even if you get it first.

atx840 06-27-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abravefan11 (Post 904143)

Sadly Ted's study shows 95% of all Wonkas are miscut.

Wite3 06-27-2011 12:20 PM

Miscut is fine but the pin hole is worse.

aljurgela 06-27-2011 01:41 PM

"public vs. private"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 904071)
I would think, although it's just speculation, that there is a very significant volume of private transactions at the high end that aren't reflected in auction house sales. Certainly there is incentive to avoid the premiums and sell directly. If this is true, then perhaps there are more collectors in Bruce's categories than his numbers reflect.

I would agree with Peter. If I had to estimate, about 25% of my collection come from the "public" auctions. Most of it comes from private sales. This should serve as an offset to the "recycled" sales that flow through the auction houses.

Not sure if my 25% is low or high, but I throw it out there as a data point.

JrMacdaddy 06-27-2011 02:23 PM

Hey Big Spender

How can a "we" be single?

atx840 06-27-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrMacdaddy (Post 904194)
How can a "we" be single?

Father, Spirit & Holy Ghost? All the same dude.

Ejm1 06-27-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 904196)
Father, Spirit & Holy Ghost? All the same dude.

Bruce.The be all end all, the alpha and omega.

David Atkatz 06-27-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethY (Post 903555)
No one cares about his collection now, it has made no imprint on history, and no one will remember him or the things he possessed once his life on this earth is done.

Well said, and true indeed.

Yankeefan51 06-27-2011 06:41 PM

you're nobody until somebody cares

We are particularly amused by the comments that "no one cares."

Funny, how we have hundreds of active business clients around the world.

On the hobby front,we hear regularly from four major
museums, not to mention the wealthiest collectors,
and the top dealers in the country.

As far a mark history, we're not interested in leaving one...of course
we could never hope to be voted the most unpopular physics professor
in the country or become infamous for card altering, auction fixing,
or defrauding customers.

If no one really cares about our what we have to say, why do our posts consistently generate 4x as many replies as all the others? We are far too busy to pay attention to postings, tweets or people that do not matter to us.

We think it is time to leave well enough alone, and close this thread.

All the best,

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

David Atkatz 06-27-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 (Post 903603)
As for not being remembered, we helped build two different billion dollar companies. We bought one of the most successful web sites in history for $900,000 which, at its peak grew to $5 billion.

Bull.

Quote:

Finally, we wonder if you would be so kind as to mention where your "world class" collection will go when you croke- we might want some decorative items for our butler's pantry
Magna cum laude and you don't know it's "croak."

David Atkatz 06-27-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethY (Post 903608)
Sure, you succeeded, but you have no life, no children. Just you and your cardboard.

Succeeded? We only have Bruce's word for that. Try Googling him. Basically, you'll find nothing. Not much evidence of any kind of "success."

David Atkatz 06-27-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 (Post 904259)
We are far too busy to pay attention to postings, tweets or people that do not matter to us.

And yet you reply to every single one!

slidekellyslide 06-27-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 (Post 904259)
We think it is time to leave well enough alone, and close this thread.

All the best,

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

Wish Granted.