Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Selling collection..looking for dealer.. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203414)

JasonD08 03-24-2015 08:29 PM

OK Sean sure you do. Good luck in this business buddy.

grainsley 03-24-2015 08:47 PM

It's confirmed....

Ralph knows how to get a thread going.

ksabet 03-24-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonD08 (Post 1394168)
OK Sean sure you do. Good luck in this business buddy.

I don't know Sean (I have heard good and bad) but you are starting to look a bit petty.

As my 4-year-old sings all day..."Let it gooooo....Let it gooooo...."

toledo_mudhen 03-25-2015 05:09 AM

Where is Nebraska located? US?

wolf441 03-25-2015 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1394216)
Where is Nebraska located? US?

Yup, it's part of the country that is situated just North of the Republic of Texas. :D

bobbyw8469 03-25-2015 05:28 AM

Quote:

Also seller backed out and decided to take back what he said earlier about selling all at same time......Sean only one that had the opportunity to follow through and did ...everyone else backed out or didn't have the opportunity to back out
Well, if the seller backed out over $24,000, then he obviously thinks his collection is worth more than it actually is. Typically Craig's Lister (albeit nicer cards), but still someone who values their stuff more than it actually is worth. My best advice is still sell stuff yourself. I know it is work. But you will see what the items actually bring. Most of your value is in the graded Ruth's.

bbcard1 03-25-2015 06:43 AM

Just a few observations.
_ I don't think the cards shown were all the cards there were if you look back at the original description.
_Seans offer seemed very fair, considerably higher that most dealer offers of a percentage basis, but on the other hand, there isn't a ton of chaff in this despite its grade. It is all stuff that can be sold in chunks and unlike, say, a 1969 Reggie Jackson Rookie, very few things that a dealer is likely to have a ton of duplication of.
- The seller might have decided to piece it out. On the one hand, he is essentially eliminating the middleman, on the other there are costs and considerable effort involved. The payday is probably between $2500-$5000 more than the offer, which if you are in no rush may or may not be worth it. He will almost certainly not get as much out of it as a dealer would.
_So long as I am sharing, I don't really like regular donuts. I am down for a good chocolate covered, or something like a vanilla Bismark, but the regular ones just seem doughy and not worth the calories.

ZachS 03-25-2015 07:00 AM

I'm glad Leon let this one ride... it's been entertaining.

I'm a fan of those buttermilk donuts myself.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/image...ut-vault-3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GJNX1U4.gif

bnorth 03-25-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachS (Post 1394238)
I'm glad Leon let this one ride... it's been entertaining.

I'm a fan of those buttermilk donuts myself.

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/image...ut-vault-3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GJNX1U4.gif

A BIG +1 on letting the thread run and on those buttermilk donuts.

As far as the buyers people are focusing on 1 of them is so slimy I wont even enter into a free contest that they are the prize giver. 1 of them I had a very nice transaction with and 1 is a internet troll. Just my opinion and my name is Ben North and I approve this post.;)

sycks22 03-25-2015 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't go wrong with a quality gas station apple fritter

frankbmd 03-25-2015 07:48 AM

Fair Warning

1 Attachment(s)
If a deal is ever consummated, this thread could still go postal as well. Hope we get tracking numbers.:D:D:D

bobbyw8469 03-25-2015 09:13 AM

LMFAO. I could say something smart, but I won't. As far as donuts, I just had one that had maple frosting topped with bacon bits. It was DELICIOUS!!

Paul S 03-25-2015 09:47 AM

That's the IHOP Special without having to go the IHOP.

1952boyntoncollector 03-25-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1394231)
Just a few observations.
_ I don't think the cards shown were all the cards there were if you look back at the original description.
_Seans offer seemed very fair, considerably higher that most dealer offers of a percentage basis, but on the other hand, there isn't a ton of chaff in this despite its grade. It is all stuff that can be sold in chunks and unlike, say, a 1969 Reggie Jackson Rookie, very few things that a dealer is likely to have a ton of duplication of.
- The seller might have decided to piece it out. On the one hand, he is essentially eliminating the middleman, on the other there are costs and considerable effort involved. The payday is probably between $2500-$5000 more than the offer, which if you are in no rush may or may not be worth it. He will almost certainly not get as much out of it as a dealer would.
_So long as I am sharing, I don't really like regular donuts. I am down for a good chocolate covered, or something like a vanilla Bismark, but the regular ones just seem doughy and not worth the calories.

the guy did say "selling collection looking for a dealer".......so I think its logical to assume you was looking for a middleman...

Bocabirdman 03-25-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1394322)
the guy did say "selling collection looking for a dealer".......so I think its logical to assume you was looking for a middleman...

He also said that he was retracting the desire to find a single buyer. It seems he realized that he was leaving too much money on the table doing it that way.

1952boyntoncollector 03-25-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1394324)
He also said that he was retracting the desire to find a single buyer. It seems he realized that he was leaving too much money on the table doing it that way.

right I said he backed out...thus the buyers did not back out...seems though people disagree here that he left money on the table..sometimes first offer is best offer..

JasonD08 03-25-2015 02:38 PM

Ben

I hope you enjoyed the Ted Williams. Thanks for the business.

Jason

hangman62 03-25-2015 02:40 PM

selling

Guys
lets calm down with all the nonsense and he said / she said ( although I find it extremely entertaining ! and if anyone doesn't want to stop..OK lets keep the laughs coming ! )

I would like to cut out the middleman and sell directly to a fellow lesser condition collector

I feel I will get more money,I feel I will get( hopefully) what I ask for,and I think it will be a fair price .

I know prices/values/grades pretty well. Im hoping it will work out that its a price that doesn't make a guy overpay..and on the other hand - not a price that in two weeks its on ebay for $900 more ( although ..if that happened, nothing I could do about it)

I am intrigued by Auction houses that will not take a cut of my profit at the end..but I just have the fear that..suppose its a " slow week" and the 1933 Goudey complete set only sells for 3,000. It would be tough to handle

Im still going thru offers and hope to eventually call back all who inquired

RalphG

bbcard1 03-25-2015 03:12 PM

Ralph, all that's well and good, but for heaven's sake, where do you stand on the donuts, man? :)

Luke 03-25-2015 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still think I'd take the $24k. Then I'd buy some nice high-end graded cards with some of the money. Cards that would be easy to sell when I was gone, but I could enjoy in the meantime. And I don't think you can go wrong with a chocolate cake donut.

clydepepper 03-25-2015 03:31 PM

Ralph - I hope you stay in the hobby - I too have started selling off a few, but I'm not ready to liquidate all.

Frank - That's a classic I'm also LMAO

Luke - that looks delicious!

buymycards 03-25-2015 03:36 PM

Frank

Hi Frank, your photos is hilarious. I hope there weren't any baseball cards in that vehicle.

All of this donut talk makes me want to head for the nearest Krispy Kreme for a maple glazed donut.

Rick

GoldenAge50s 03-25-2015 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maple Frosted from Dunkin' is MY donut of choice!

tschock 03-25-2015 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Time to make the donuts!

JollyElm 03-25-2015 05:02 PM

I moved to California…and they don't have Dunkin' Donuts out here!!!!!! I'm at my wit's end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edjs 03-25-2015 05:44 PM

Donuts are evil. Delicious evil.

brass_rat 03-25-2015 06:07 PM

Something to look forward to -- if you're headed to Chicago for the National, be sure to check out Do-Rite Donuts on W. Randolph Street! I'm going to power up for Fri/Sat/Sun with a Candied Maple Bacon!

Steve

7nohitter 03-25-2015 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing beats the Boston Cream!

hangman62 03-25-2015 06:42 PM

selling

Im taking the 24K ..moving to Colorado..and opening up one of those new all natural " specialty" stores !

bobbyw8469 03-25-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1394454)
Im taking the 24K ..moving to Colorado..and opening up one of those new all natural " specialty" stores !

Nice!! Tell Nancy Botwin we said hello!

bobfreedman 03-25-2015 07:04 PM

Hot Krispy Kreme's

hangman62 03-27-2015 01:45 PM

A fool and his "cards" will soon part...

Well, not really ...Im "sheepishly" announcing that I "can not" sell my collection.
I tried...went back and forth so many times...took advice/suggestions/offers from dozens and dozens of collectors/ dealers/buys/auctioneers,etc...

Every time I put another set in the shipping box...I took it back out .." No , I don't want to get rid of that one"...then do the same thing with the next set ! LOL

Just cant seem to breakaway, I just love collecting" photos of men I never met before"

Like Pacino in the Godfather - "Every time I get out.. they keep pulling me back in ! "

For the haters who might say... Oh..he did that to show off his collection..( no not really.. those G F P cards are nothing to brag about)

or.. he was just trying to gauge the market for his stuff ( again..no..not really...beat up stuff is beat up stuff)

So anyway, I appreciate all the offers and suggestions, but I guess Im gonna keep on being a full grown adult.." who still collects baseball cards " !

Ralph G

glynparson 03-27-2015 03:07 PM

If I can open one for only 24 k

I am in. Please let me know where to sign up for that deal. Lol. Congrats on keeping your collection.

jburl 03-27-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1395163)
Well, not really ...Im "sheepishly" announcing that I "can not" sell my collection.
I tried...went back and forth so many times...took advice/suggestions/offers from dozens and dozens of collectors/ dealers/buys/auctioneers,etc...

Every time I put another set in the shipping box...I took it back out .." No , I don't want to get rid of that one"...then do the same thing with the next set ! LOL

Just cant seem to breakaway, I just love collecting" photos of men I never met before"

Like Pacino in the Godfather - "Every time I get out.. they keep pulling me back in ! "

For the haters who might say... Oh..he did that to show off his collection..( no not really.. those G F P cards are nothing to brag about)

or.. he was just trying to gauge the market for his stuff ( again..no..not really...beat up stuff is beat up stuff)

So anyway, I appreciate all the offers and suggestions, but I guess Im gonna keep on being a full grown adult.." who still collects baseball cards " !

Ralph G

I completely understand! Keep them as long as you enjoy them.

Burl (Justin Burleson)

wolf441 03-27-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jburl (Post 1395203)
I completely understand! Keep them as long as you enjoy them.

Burl (Justin Burleson)

+1. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies....

WERE WE NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!!

buymycards 03-27-2015 03:32 PM

?

Does this mean we don't get donuts?

bbcard1 03-27-2015 03:38 PM

You can always sell it later. But you can only sell it once (with the exception of a 1954 Topps Aaron i have which I have bought and sold three times to far).

vintagetoppsguy 03-27-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Ralph G

This is a BIG -1

You should have made up your mind before you posted it for sale...in the wrong forum nonetheless. You wasted people's time.

Bad move IMO.

7nohitter 03-27-2015 05:00 PM

David,

I don't know that he intended to 'waste' people's time. I think he had a desire, whether impulsive or planned, to sell. I think after making the initial post he probably had 'seller's remorse' and decided to keep his collection.

In my opinion, no harm, no foul.

But yes, in the wrong section!

hangman62 03-27-2015 05:00 PM

collection

David,

OMG... You gave me a BIG minus 1 !

I think you should shut your pie hole

Ralph G

ibuysportsephemera 03-27-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1395234)
David,

Ralph G

A Big Plus 1. Ralph and I had a nice discussion by phone and we never would have met if it wasn't for this thread. I don't understand some peoples negativity?

Jeff

1952boyntoncollector 03-27-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1395234)
David,

Ralph G

So back to my steps..you will repeat the process again and again only natural....when the card prices crash though many collectors will be holding the bag but its not like we are in it for the money..its a hobby and hobbys cost money...so I say keep the cards until the crash...

nolemmings 03-27-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1394407)
I moved to California…and they don't have Dunkin' Donuts out here!!!!!! I'm at my wit's end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never fear, help is on the way.
http://www.eater.com/2014/11/24/7277...ons-california

vintagetoppsguy 03-27-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1395233)
I don't know that he intended to 'waste' people's time.

Whether he intended to or not, he did.

Quote:

offers from dozens and dozens of collectors/ dealers

And it's not the first time either...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146858

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181886

wolf441 03-27-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1395244)
Whether he intended to or not, he did.

And it's not the first time either...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146858

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181886

The first thread you posted seemed entertaining as well (Leon even commented as such). The second was two posts long. Lighten up a little, no one forced you to come along for the ride.

vintagetoppsguy 03-27-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf441 (Post 1395249)
The first thread you posted seemed entertaining

If you consider listing cards for sale on the B/S/T (with prices and scans) and then not following through as 'entertaining' then so be it.

bnorth 03-27-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1395253)
If you consider listing cards for sale on the B/S/T (with prices and scans) and then not following through as 'entertaining' then so be it.

I like entertainment as much as any body but it seems all the OP did was waste a lot of peoples time and wasn't the first time.

I also vote a BIG -1 for the OP.

vthobby 03-27-2015 06:18 PM

Totally agree....

I agree 100%. It was like a dopey soap opera that ended badly. Don't they all?

Peace, Mike

GoldenAge50s 03-27-2015 06:44 PM

To those that value their time so much--What are you doing hanging out an a Chat Board?:confused:

gregr2 03-27-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s (Post 1395277)
To those that value their time so much--What are you doing hanging out an a Chat Board?:confused:

Lol good point!