Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just Another 1952 Mantle PSA 9 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251884)

Leon 03-01-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1753044)
I'll take them all, they're all great cards. How do you know any of them are not altered? If you're going to throw around words like that on the most valuable thing I own I'm afraid I'm triggered and will have to request that you identify yourself in your posts per forum rules.

He and I had several PMs as soon as I saw his post which was right after he did it (I believe). That was the impetus for the other thread I started too. He has edited out his response to be much more generic. He was asked to edit it out, or put his full name out here, so I can't really mandate that now that it is edited. However, if whomever wants to know someones name and they had a comment directed their way, I will usually tell them with the condition they don't make the name public. That would defeat the purpose of the option to the member in the first place. I explained the litmus test too. :) It was over on this one.

irv 03-01-2018 05:10 PM

I see someone edited their post but like their original, I too, when I think of "The Wagner", think of it as being trimmed.

Maybe I am being biased as I love 52's and own a Mantle, but that card screams nostalgia to me.

If I had the money where 4 million wasn't necessarily a big deal to me, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase that one!

bnorth 03-01-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1753114)
I see someone edited their post but like their original, I too, when I think of "The Wagner", think of it as being trimmed.

Maybe I am being biased as I love 52's and own a Mantle, but that card screams nostalgia to me.

If I had the money where 4 million wasn't necessarily a big deal to me, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase that one!

I am one of those weird guys, even if I had the $ I would be just as happy with the 52 Mantle Dale owns as the PSA9. I am very happy that condition means very little to me.

ls7plus 03-01-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1752481)
This was pretty much the decision that was made when I consigned it.

Really, really good decision!

Enjoy the house on the lake with the pasture and barn,

Larry

brian1961 03-02-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1752485)
Anyone who has seen this card in person would be excited about it. It's a true 9 and is the best centered of the 6 in existence. I don't buy flips, I buy cards. ;)

Evan, this is truly one of the most stunning cards in our hobby. "An exciting card" is really an understatement. Our lads here have a tendency to talk smack at the most inappropriate moments. I wish you the very best, sir, on this enormous consignment. It must be a tough one to part with, but the time must come for any of us to .....

Have a great day. ----Brian Powell

ullmandds 03-02-2018 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1752782)
slightly better image until the auction hits

whats the deal with the other mantle to the right????

darwinbulldog 03-02-2018 01:29 PM

Meh, that's probably like a PSA 7.5 or something. Not worth your time.

hangman62 03-02-2018 02:40 PM

52 Mantle

interesting topic in the PRE WWII section. Should we move it

Leon 03-02-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1753373)

If I hadn't just banned you I would now.

BengoughingForAwhile 03-02-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1753373)

Ralph, check out Steve's link in Post #100 in this thread. :D

Leon 03-02-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengoughingForAwhile (Post 1753381)
Ralph, check out Steve's link in Post #100 in this thread. :D

Ralph seems to have confused this place with some place that puts up with a lot of crap.

AGuinness 03-02-2018 05:51 PM

Anybody else notice that the end of the description has a list of currencies one can use to pay for this beauty, including Bitcoin?

"BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, LTC, NEO, DASH, IOTA, & EOS."

I can't even identify another one without Googling it...

darwinbulldog 03-02-2018 07:43 PM

Might be kinda fun to take your $4 million payment in Bitcoins and check back in a few years to see if you've become a billionaire or a cautionary tale.

Misunderestimated 03-02-2018 08:51 PM

If there are PSA 10s and that one is a "just" a 9 -- what could possibly be the difference.
I love to (in person) see them side by side and hear someone with "insight" explain the difference to me.

It is such an iconic card.... I've always "liked" his 53 Bowman more aesthetically. As a collector my tastes (like most people here) run towards older and, perhaps, less "perfect" cards that were lucky to have survived at least one World War....

pokerplyr80 03-02-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1753463)
Might be kinda fun to take your $4 million payment in Bitcoins and check back in a few years to see if you've become a billionaire or a cautionary tale.

I think if you sit on 4m in btc, eth or ltc even until the end of this year you'll be pleased with the results. Right now is a good time to get in if you've been sitting on the fence.

ruth-gehrig 03-03-2018 09:21 AM

Preview up

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

Leon 03-03-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1753441)
Anybody else notice that the end of the description has a list of currencies one can use to pay for this beauty, including Bitcoin?

"BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, LTC, NEO, DASH, IOTA, & EOS."

I can't even identify another one without Googling it...

Go Evan!! Bitcoin is the safe bet according to a lot of people. I am not quite there yet. And a 3.5M estimate. I hope it goes for much more.

ls7plus 03-03-2018 11:14 AM

This occurred to me last night--I certainly wouldn't trade my 1907 Fielding Pose Cobb or 1907 Wolverine News Cobb, nor my 1939 V351 Ted Williams for it. Might be too tough to replace those. Wander what Orly would say about his magnificant Cobb collection vs this card? Of course, that's just me and my preference for really rare, period, rather than a condition rarity, where thousands of other lesser examples of the card exist. But good luck to Evan--hope it does really, really well! Sometimes it is time to cash in!

May collecting bring you happiness, in any shape or form,

Larry

MattyC 03-03-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1753627)
his magnificant Cobb collection vs this card

Why is it, "vs." ?

A gorgeous card is simply for sale. It is not playing a baseball game or MMA match against any other card or cards.

ls7plus 03-03-2018 02:48 PM

Why is it not? A question of collecting priorities always factors into a decision to buy one card over another, to keep one card over another, and into determining the large picture goals of your collecting. Unless, that is, a collector simply buys cards at random, and I don't think there are many of those in our hobby. So certainly my last post posed an interesting philosophic question within the collecting context.

Regards,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth 03-03-2018 03:02 PM

Is it always "or?"
Is it never "and?"

-- Stephen Sondheim, Into the Woods

frankbmd 03-03-2018 03:11 PM

What’s the meaning is, or what the meaning of or is.

That is the question.

WWG 03-22-2018 06:40 PM

Let the bidding begin.

Current bid:
$875,000
w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $1,050,000.00

clydepepper 03-22-2018 07:03 PM

Maybe 'can't remember the guy's name' can trade his Mark McGuire 70th Homerun Ball for it? :eek:

Some really serious thinking going on....NOT! :rolleyes:

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-22-2018 08:36 PM

Todd McFarlane?

GasHouseGang 03-23-2018 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, at $1.4 million with 27 days to go. Here are the pics of the card.

hshrimps 03-23-2018 10:58 PM

I am looking for a PSA10. PSA9 is not good enough.

iowadoc77 03-24-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1760437)

Sounds like the 10 doesn’t look as good as this 9. Incredible centering on this one.

TheNightmanCometh 03-24-2018 09:03 AM

I mean, that card is absolutely amazing, which goes without saying, but I will anyways, LOL.

Perfect centering throughout, vibrate coloring, just the perfect card.

I hope to one day have the discretionary income to purchase such a card.

And to the seller, I hope it brings in all the money you hope for.

steve B 03-24-2018 02:26 PM

An interesting article, full of errors as usual, at least one apparently from the Heritage director of sports auctions --- Really, rookie card?! And he runs the sports dept.... https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...card/33238039/

sycks22 03-24-2018 02:32 PM

Has to be fun to make over a million bucks on a card purchase.

RedsFan1941 03-24-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1760437)

oh for pete's sake! ;)

bxb 03-24-2018 04:14 PM

Just a spectacular card.

Hard to imagine the 10s are better.

Best of luck with the sale, Evan.

Jdoggs 03-24-2018 06:08 PM

Now at 2.16 million with buyers premium.

glchen 03-24-2018 06:19 PM

Interesting thing about this auction lot to me is that they accept cryptocurrency like bitcoin as payment. I had not seen that before from an auction house.

Peter_Spaeth 03-24-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1760692)
Interesting thing about this auction lot to me is that they accept cryptocurrency like bitcoin as payment. I had not seen that before from an auction house.

Bitcoin fluctuates wildly even within a single day.

pokerplyr80 03-24-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

A lot of people made tons of money last year in crypto. It makes sense that on a card of this caliber the consigned would request that the AH accept it as payment. I don't believe any auction house normally does as a policy, but wouldn't be surprised to see it added in the near future.

Santo10Fan 03-25-2018 02:04 AM

Quote:

So the seller is swapping investments-card for crypto?? I would be doing the opposite. It had to have been a take-it-or-leave-it condition for Heritage to accept those terms. Unprecedented. Seller must have signed a contract to agree to cough up seller's premium in USD as a reimbursement. Since crypto is peer-to-peer this is the only way it could work. Buyer pays seller direct, no middleman. If it's a state with HA sales tax collected this is going to be even more complicated. How in the heck would HA deal with the buyer premium though? I bet HA is praying they get a buyer who pays USD.

bounce 03-25-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1752481)
This was pretty much the decision that was made when I consigned it.

What a great card, I also saw it at the National and it's really stunning.

I'd be more interested in - why Heritage?

Maybe Evan can't really discuss that, or wouldn't necessarily want to, which I would get.

But if he could/would, I wouldn't mind hearing how that decision was made. Why not PWCC or someone else via eBay (I remember all the special attention when the Superman comic was auctioned via eBay). Maybe Memory Lane? I might be leaving one or two other options out, but it's certainly a short list of 4-5 choices.

I don't imagine it was just as simple as say lowest sellers premium, because each of these auction houses also have different rules. I couldn't bid on this, but Heritage is always a bummer for me in Texas because I get hit with the sales tax - as a result I rarely end up winning auctions there but I'm 2nd/3rd quite often.

Anyway, just wondering.

ergoism 03-25-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santo10Fan (Post 1760763)
So the seller is swapping investments-card for crypto?? I would be doing the opposite. It had to have been a take-it-or-leave-it condition for Heritage to accept those terms. Unprecedented. Seller must have signed a contract to agree to cough up seller's premium in USD as a reimbursement. Since crypto is peer-to-peer this is the only way it could work. Buyer pays seller direct, no middleman. If it's a state with HA sales tax collected this is going to be even more complicated. How in the heck would HA deal with the buyer premium though? I bet HA is praying they get a buyer who pays USD.

If the winning bidder pays in crypto, they'll send me the crypto, and I'll pay HA their commission in USD. Crypto is very liquid even though it's volatile so I'm not trying to do a straight up swap. I have enough exposure in that space already. I'll convert most of the proceeds to USD, pay HA, pay for my house, and go on a card shopping spree.

ergoism 03-25-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce (Post 1760782)
What a great card, I also saw it at the National and it's really stunning.

I'd be more interested in - why Heritage?

Maybe Evan can't really discuss that, or wouldn't necessarily want to, which I would get.

But if he could/would, I wouldn't mind hearing how that decision was made. Why not PWCC or someone else via eBay (I remember all the special attention when the Superman comic was auctioned via eBay). Maybe Memory Lane? I might be leaving one or two other options out, but it's certainly a short list of 4-5 choices.

I don't imagine it was just as simple as say lowest sellers premium, because each of these auction houses also have different rules. I couldn't bid on this, but Heritage is always a bummer for me in Texas because I get hit with the sales tax - as a result I rarely end up winning auctions there but I'm 2nd/3rd quite often.

Anyway, just wondering.

These are good questions, there are a few factors that led to me choosing Heritage.
1. I ultimately decided to sell the card to buy family our dream home and HA had no problem advancing me the money to do so.
2. I thought that Heritage would be the best at getting the exposure the card deserves. I use PWCC and Probstein for the vast majority of my sales but I didn't want to roll the dice in such a limited time frame of 10 days. I do recall the Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 you're referring to that was auctioned on eBay so the idea of PWCC or someone else on eBay is not asinine.
3. I had a nice discussion with Chris Ivy at HA and proposed the crytpocurrency idea which could open the door to a few more bidders. Him being receptive to that helped my decision.
4. And lastly, as this card is auctioning, I'm like a kid in a candy store bidding in their auction.

I did consider other auction houses like Goldin since they've done some impressive numbers on elite items. In the end, my gut was to go to HA and let it fly no reserve. Whatever happens, this is a really fun experience.

barrysloate 03-25-2018 11:34 AM

Heritage will get top dollar on this one, no need for concern.

Peter_Spaeth 03-25-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1760857)
Heritage will get top dollar on this one, no need for concern.

No doubt. They have become the dominant auction house IMO, with an astonishing selection each major auction. I still think they should tone down those way overbright scans, but why would they listen to me lol.

iowadoc77 03-25-2018 03:36 PM

There really is nothing like getting catalogs for Heritage and REA. The stuff they continually get is phenomenal. Best of luck Evan. Mantle is really cranking! And congrats on the dream house.

Cooptown 03-26-2018 02:13 PM

USA Today article on the sale:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...card/33238039/

JeremyW 03-26-2018 03:34 PM

I give the guy credit for selling the most important public offering since the Gretzky Wagner.

hshrimps 03-27-2018 09:48 AM

Received my Intelligent Collector magazine from HA and it also feature this PSA9 Mantle.. However, why did they put the card in the middle of two pages and image got crop off/bind together and completely ruin the image of this beauty???

What were they thinking??? I could only see 2/3 of the card technically.

(Sorry, not sure how to post pic from my phone to this board)

1952boyntoncollector 03-27-2018 09:59 AM

Im sure Courtney is going to try to snipe the card at the very end..

AGuinness 03-27-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1760795)
and go on a card shopping spree.

I’d like to be a fly in the wall as you do that.

Thanks for being so accessible with answers to all the questions. It’s interesting to peek behind the curtain, so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark evans 03-28-2018 09:29 AM

I'm sure this appears somewhere on the Board, but could someone please advise of the top 5 sales of cards in order of price, whether by auction or private sale?

Thanks.