Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Candiman Auctions Explained (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252144)

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1754903)
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1754984)
Rest assured if someone reached out to me I would be glad to share my thoughts. As it is I was just trying to add a little humor to a thread that is difficult at best.

There's really no simple fix for these guys other than time. Frankly I think what will serve them best is actually having subsequent auctions as right now I imagine this still looks like a Battlefield fire sale to a lot of our members. Their protestations of wanting to establish long term relationships don't mean much until they've actually demonstrated that they are going to be around for the long haul. That along with the other issues mentioned are going to create a suspicion that's nearly impossible to counter until some history that runs counter to that which Battlefield has created is established.

Hi Scott,

I agree with you completely. It is going to take time for sure. I didn't expect this to be a walk in the park. I knew everyone would be skeptical and I have willingly opened myself up to public ridicule. We already have subsequent auctions planned for this year. We are already working on our next one right now (with ZERO items from Battlefield). All we are asking for is a chance to prove you guys wrong. The only way that can happen is seeing how our auctions play out this year. I am confident that everyone's mind will be at ease if we are just given the chance to prove ourselves.

Thanks,

Daniel

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755036)
And after all, despite trashing Battlefield, they took all their inventory.

What's wrong with that? If Battlefield offered you their inventory, you wouldn't take it either? I would. Then I would do exactly as Candiman did. I would go through it, and re-sell it, listing anything I believed to be altered as such.

What should have been done with their inventory? Do we just burn it all? I don't collect altered or trimmed cards, but they DO have their place in the hobby.

You're really complaining about taking their inventory? Seriously? You're really grasping for straws at this point.

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1755032)
Could you explain this?

Please see my post from earlier today.

Thanks,

Daniel

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755044)
Hi Peter,

You can call it "smooth talk" or whatever you want. I am speaking the truth and that's all I can do. The simple answer to your question is that the consignor wants everything sold and doesn't want to spend a lot of money on grading fees and have to wait months to get the cards back from PSA as egbeachley (Eric) has pointed out. They want the items sold. If they wanted the cards graded we would send them in and wait months and add them to one of our auctions later this year.

I have stated over and over (and updated this in the Auction Rules on the website), if ANY card that we haven't identified as altered is sent in for grading comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund. I don't know how I can be more clear about this.

Daniel

And you have been equally clear that if a card you list as NM MT comes back a 5 or 6, or is clearly EX or EX MT upon visual inspection, there is no recourse.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1755056)
What's wrong with that? If Battlefield offered you their inventory, you wouldn't take it either? I would. Then I would do exactly as Candiman did. I would go through it, and re-sell it, listing anything I believed to be altered as such.

What should have been done with their inventory? Do we just burn it all? I don't collect altered or trimmed cards, but they DO have their place in the hobby.

You're really complaining about taking their inventory? Seriously? You're really grasping for straws at this point.

How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs. If I am really grasping at straws, why is your POV so clearly in the minority here?

bobbyw8469 03-07-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755064)
How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs. If I am really grasping at straws, why is your POV so clearly in the minority here?

I think what David is saying is, if you DO NOT think they will get the high numeric grade, then bid on them what they are worth TO YOU!! Me personally, I don't mind trimmed cards that look mint. I won't be bidding "8" prices though...I will be bidding "A" prices...

calvindog 03-07-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs.

I once spent 10K on two raw Detroit Free Press PCs (Jennings and Cobb) from a Lipset auction. Lew was no thief bit he didn't care about grading cards. In addition, the DFP cards were not registry cards and not widely collected, i.e. very rare. I spent about 10 seconds thinking before pulling the trigger.

That being said, anyone who buys raw Mantles and Robinsons in "high grade" from this or any auction or even from eBay, expecting the cards to grade, needs to have his head examined. This issue has been discussed many times and there's no good reason to do so. Any auctioneer who is hoping to maximize returns would get the cards graded -- unless they expect an A grade. If the auction house advertises the cards as possibly altered then that's all anyone can and should expect from them and the risk is on the buyer.

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Slow day at the office, Peter? Answer my question. What was Battlefield supposed to do with their inventory?

calvindog 03-07-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1755071)
Slow day at the office, Peter? Answer my question. What was Battlefield supposed to do with their inventory?

Burn it at the stake.

botn 03-07-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755042)

Our policy is in line with all other auction houses. Grading is subjective and and no auction house can guarantee that their grades will line up exactly with a TPG.

Right but you are not like other houses. You are just now running your first auction. You have no hobby presence before this. You have consignments from your parents who defrauded the public with altered cards and enhanced scans to name just a few significant difference.

Quote:

We have posted clear images of all of the items in the auction and tried to point out any relevant flaws.

Again, your images are very small and it is impossible to assess the card. I sell mostly graded cards and the scans I use for those are 3 times the size of that you are using.

Quote:

As I have said previously (and added to the Auction Rules on the website), if any card that we haven't described as altered is sent in for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that your rules state you will give a full refund if a card comes back as altered that was not described as such. I think that is a step in the right direction but my concern is with your use of the word "appears" in your description which leads one to believe the card is not going to be in the condition stated were it to be sent in for grading. Maybe it is just me I only use the word "appears" in a card description when the card looks better than it is otherwise I assign a grade and put up a large scan and stand behind the grade.

You are expecting us to rely on your assessment having no established credibility in the industry, providing us with a small scan, offering no recourse and selling cards that belong to family members whose practice it was to misrepresented their product.

I wish you luck but been in business a long time and this does not sound legit to me. I hope I am wrong and if so I will issue you an apology but if I am right there will be a lot of people scammed who will not have a voice because eBay will not be there to insist they get a refund for an item significantly not as described.

Greg

pclpads 03-07-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755054)
My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need. Daniel

Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will. :rolleyes:

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1755073)
Burn it at the stake.

LOL, come on, Jeff. As I already stated (and as someone confirmed 3 posts above), altered and trimmed cards DO have a place in the hobby.

Peter chastises Candiman for purchasing Battlefield's inventory, I'm just curious what Peter thinks should have happened to it?

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-07-2018 12:00 PM

I don't know about throwing away trimmed cards but I do hate auctioning them because I hate the thought of them passing into unscrupulous hands after my sale. I do frequently reject cards I suspect of trimming, not even consenting to sell them as trimmed. Autographs that aren't authentic I ask the consignor if I can dispose of them and I literally destroy them and throw away the remains. If the consignor requests it obviously I have to return them.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1755071)

Asked and answered. Once more: anyone acquiring Battlefield's inventory should, in light of their history and reputation, send in any high dollar card they think is legit to a TPG for grading. I have no problem selling altered cards as altered.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-07-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1755077)
Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will. :rolleyes:

If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.

bobbyw8469 03-07-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1755073)
Burn it at the stake.

I'll take them before you do that....and get every last one of them in a slab.

Batpig 03-07-2018 12:10 PM

I'm keeping an open mind. While I do think the cards that aren't known to be altered should be graded, the explanation is plausible. The biggest factor for me is the fact that Daniel came here, and has stuck around to take a beating. There was very little reason for him to do so. If their intentions were nefarious, they would have been better off just ignoring the board.

I do believe that a lot of the cards will come back altered for reasons that they didn't plan on. Screw down compression being the big one that is often overlooked. Also measuring ok doesn't mean a card isn't trimmed. The bottom line is I think they probably aren't well versed in identifying all of the possibilities of alterations, and that might bite them.

I also would like to see higher resolution pictures.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquarian sports cards (Post 1755083)
if this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755080)
Asked and answered. Once more: anyone acquiring Battlefield's inventory should, in light of their history and reputation, send in any high dollar card they think is legit to a TPG for grading. I have no problem selling altered cards as altered.

No, Peter, you still have not answered the question. You're just BSing at this point. The answer you gave was not to the question I asked.

You faulted Candiman for taking Battlefield's inventory (see your quote below). I didn't ask you what he was supposed to happen to the inventory once it was obtained. You made that answer clear. I'm asking you why are you faulting Candiman for taking the inventory in the first place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755036)
And after all, despite trashing Battlefield, they took all their inventory.

Again, you ARE grasping for straws for faulting them for taking Battlefield's inventory.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 12:37 PM

OK David I see, I should have been more precise and said, after all, they are taking Battlefield's inventory and selling most of it as unaltered. That's what seems inconsistent to me with trashing them as unethical. If they had done the appropriate thing with the inventory, I wouldn't have a problem with taking it per se.

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755108)
OK David I see, I should have been more precise and said, after all, they are taking Battlefield's inventory and selling most of it as unaltered. That's what seems inconsistent to me with trashing them as unethical. If they had done the appropriate thing with the inventory, I wouldn't have a problem with taking it per se.

Gotcha! I apologize for any confusion. I interpreted it differently. Thanks for the clarification.

horzverti 03-07-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself.

Daniel

How do you know for sure that you haven't done business with anyone here in the past?

Here are your words from an earlier post:

"...we love this hobby and enjoy buying and selling items we have collected for the better part of our lives."

The probability is high that you have dealt with one of us in the past.

My opinion is that you have indeed dealt with many of us in the past, but you did so under your other usernames, Battlefield and War Eagle.

pclpads 03-07-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1755083)
If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.

Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.

ezez420 03-07-2018 01:14 PM

I am not commenting on the auction and wish them luck but the question is: Was Battlefield REALLY a woman or was it really a guy that was hiding behind someone else.

I am very curious and these new guys know the truth.

cardsnstuff 03-07-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755049)
Hi Tony,

We don't accept PayPal (which is the policy of virtually every other auction house). We DO accept all major credit cards. Many auction houses are strictly money order, cashier's check, personal check, or wire transfer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Actually, your wrong, several auctions houses already accept paypal and several more are moving towards that. For many, it's also convenient; In your particular situation, the reason I suggest it, is because although you might be telling the truth {might, being the key word}, it will provide any buyers with more protection particularly if item is not as described. You must admit the questionable practices of the past and current inventory in the current auction DO NOT inspire confidence.

pokerplyr80 03-07-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel

I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 01:22 PM

I would not presume to judge or even comment on anyone's faith and fully respect it, but just anecdotally, back in the 90s, one of the leading card doctors who sold blatantly trimmed crap through SCD was also a preacher. It seemed incongruous.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-07-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755088)

Ugh, thanks. Didn't spot it because it was only a partial quote.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-07-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1755125)
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.

I'm an agnostic, so I have no religious sensibilities. That being said I can recognize something offensive when I see it and the fact that the quote DOES exist doesn't change my point. If this had been fabricated (which is all I said) it's in very poor taste. You could've merely done what Peter did and refer me to the post without actually insulting religious people.

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1755077)

Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755062)
And you have been equally clear that if a card you list as NM MT comes back a 5 or 6, or is clearly EX or EX MT upon visual inspection, there is no recourse.

Peter,

Yes that is our policy which is in line with every other auction house in the industry. If by looking at the pictures posted and reading our descriptions you don't agree with our assessment then bid accordingly. The policy is clearly posted for everyone to see prior to bidding.

Again, if ANY card in the auction that we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1755075)
Earlier in the thread I mentioned that your rules state you will give a full refund if a card comes back as altered that was not described as such. I think that is a step in the right direction but my concern is with your use of the word "appears" in your description which leads one to believe the card is not going to be in the condition stated were it to be sent in for grading. Maybe it is just me I only use the word "appears" in a card description when the card looks better than it is otherwise I assign a grade and put up a large scan and stand behind the grade.

Greg

Greg,

I think people are overthinking the word "appears". It only means that by our evaluation a card appears to be in ____ condition. If I'm evaluating a card and say "this card appears to be NM to me" I don't see any problem with that. I believe our grades are accurate but as we all know grading is subjective. It is only our opinion. That's why there are images of every card in the auction posted for everyone to see so potential bidders can make their own judgement before placing a bid.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1755087)
I'm keeping an open mind. While I do think the cards that aren't known to be altered should be graded, the explanation is plausible. The biggest factor for me is the fact that Daniel came here, and has stuck around to take a beating. There was very little reason for him to do so. If their intentions were nefarious, they would have been better off just ignoring the board.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for keeping an open mind. You seem to be one of the only people on here doing so. You are correct I have come on here and took a beating for things I had nothing to do with and do not support. I'm not going to rehash what I've said previously. I couldn't have been more clear that I do not support any of Battlefield's actions on eBay. It is there for everyone to see. I am not going anywhere. I will continue to be active on the forum. I can handle the attacks.

Daniel

Sophiedog 03-07-2018 01:46 PM

In the 1990's right before and in the beginning of PSA card grading, quite a few big card dealers were opposed to the idea of card grading. Very few collectors had computers and there was no Ebay. SCD was a source for many including myself to buy cards. Some dealers would put their cards in holders and put a tamperproof sticker across the opening so if you wanted to inspect the cards there was no returning the cards because the seal was broken. Many trimmed and cards that had creases were sold that way. TC Card Co was the most honest dealer of all my dealings through SCD. When he said a card was NM/MT it was. Do any of you guys remember those days?
As a side note I was at the 1989? show in Atlantic City. In the elevator one guy was telling another "We're going to have a good show, I'm going to make the T cards Mint" The card graders are not prefect, but you are much better off with them than without them in my opinion. Trimming was rampant before them.
To the brothers starting the new auction company: You have to have all the cards graded nowadays; all signed pieces too. Everything has to be graded; that's just how it's done. Good Luck.

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1755131)
I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.

Jesse,

I agree with you. You can choose to believe me or not but I had nothing to do with what went on with Battlefield on eBay. If you want to find me guilty by association then that's your prerogative. If we are all guilty by association then I'm sure every single person on the forum is guilty of something bad.

Daniel

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755144)
Peter,

Yes that is our policy which is in line with every other auction house in the industry. If by looking at the pictures posted and reading our descriptions you don't agree with our assessment then bid accordingly. The policy is clearly posted for everyone to see prior to bidding.

Again, if ANY card in the auction that we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund.

Daniel

Do you seriously not see why so many people here are skeptical/reluctant? What descriptions? "Appears NM-MT" and tough luck if you get the card in hand and you disagree. What are your qualifications? And as was pointed out above, your scans are inadequate to make those sorts of judgments. By the way, have you closely examined each card under a loupe for the tiny flaws that can affect grading? Tons of cards can "appear" NM MT on a mid size scan or to the naked eye but aren't.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-07-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755143)
Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel

I would agree with you, however realize that waving your faith as a banner in a forum that has nothing to do with faith is going to attract attention. Some of it will not be positive. I generally don't condone mocking anyone on a generic basis, I prefer to be specific. I would defend your right to your faith, but I might be tempted to give you grief for irrelevantly bringing it into this thread. I didn't, but I might.

kmac32 03-07-2018 02:00 PM

Daniel, have no problem with you or Battlefield and when I bought from Battlefield, was aa flawless transaction. I would have no problem bidding in your auction as you seem legitimate. Only Issue I have is there is nothing there I am interested in as is true for most auctions including ebay. Not your fault on this one as I have a very narrow focus of collecting. Good luck on your acution and I wish you the best. As with any auction including the big ones, it is always Caveat Emptor.

Kmac

egbeachley 03-07-2018 02:12 PM

Daniel, you may not believe this, but the "attacks" you have received are very mild compared to many other threads over the years. Leon was not deceiving you there. In fact you have received more support than I expected.

And I understand you being upset that your faith may have been questioned. Many of us feel that adhering to a religion is serious stuff and a religious person should provide more ethical transactions. Unfortunately, there are many who use religion to prey on others honesty and then take advantage of them. That includes here and especially on eBay. While sticking with your faith is admirable, it doesn't help because of others that came before you. As a Christian, even I am wary when I see eBay dealers profess their faith. More often than not they are using it to deceive. Ive learned it's best to leave faith out of business discussions. Save it for future one-on-one dealings with those you know personally.

pokerplyr80 03-07-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755149)
Jesse,

I agree with you. You can choose to believe me or not but I had nothing to do with what went on with Battlefield on eBay. If you want to find me guilty by association then that's your prerogative. If we are all guilty by association then I'm sure every single person on the forum is guilty of something bad.

Daniel

Assuming that is true, which I highly doubt, launching your new business by offering an auction consisting almost entirely of their inventory in the same raw condition seems to me to be a questionable decision. How is that supposed to dissociate you from Battlefield? Why do all of the listings include the same types of scans, descriptions, and overly optimistic grading assessments that appeared in battlefield eBay auctions?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to consign to an auction house that starts off this way when there are so many other options available.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Peter,

Daniel

As was pointed out above, you aren't every other auction house. You are a start-up with no experience or as far as we know qualifications, selling the raw inventory of a notorious fraudster. And anyhow I don't know any respected auction these days that would sell some of the cards you are calling NM or NM MT without grading them. These are not attacks, that's a bogus narrative on your part. These are legitimate concerns, not answered simply by saying, trust us.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1755161)
Daniel, you may not believe this, but the "attacks" you have received are very mild compared to many other threads over the years. Leon was not deceiving you there. In fact you have received more support than I expected.

And I understand you being upset that your faith may have been questioned. Many of us feel that adhering to a religion is serious stuff and a religious person should provide more ethical transactions. Unfortunately, there are many who use religion to prey on others honesty and then take advantage of them. That includes here and especially on eBay. While sticking with your faith is admirable, it doesn't help because of others that came before you. As a Christian, even I am wary when I see eBay dealers profess their faith. More often than not they are using it to deceive. Ive learned it's best to leave faith out of business discussions. Save it for future one-on-one dealings with those you know personally.

I completely agree that religion and faith have no place in these discussions. Not because anyone doubts your sincerity, but because they are irrelevant. Very well-stated.

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1755153)
I would agree with you, however realize that waving your faith as a banner in a forum that has nothing to do with faith is going to attract attention. Some of it will not be positive. I generally don't condone mocking anyone on a generic basis, I prefer to be specific. I would defend your right to your faith, but I might be tempted to give you grief for irrelevantly bringing it into this thread. I didn't, but I might.

Scott,

I'm not going to address this any further. I have zero respect for the person that made that comment. That tells me all I need to know about his character. He specifically picked out that line out of everything I have posted on this forum to mock me. Anyone who would do that has no integrity in my opinion. If you guys can't respect that then I am sorry. This will be the last I comment about this. This thread is about my auction and nothing more.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1755161)

Hi Eric,

I agree that it is best to leave it out of business discussions. But I will not deny my faith or apologize for it. I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs and mocking someone's beliefs is not OK with me. That's my only point. Please lets get back to focusing on the auction and nothing more.

Thanks,

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1755162)
Why do all of the listings include the same types of scans, descriptions, and overly optimistic grading assessments that appeared in battlefield eBay auctions?

Jesse,

Have you looked at the auction? I would hardly describe the majority of the auction as "overly optimistic grading assessments". There are many lower grade cards that have been clearly graded just as the higher grade stuff.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755164)
As was pointed out above, you aren't every other auction house. You are a start-up with no experience or as far as we know qualifications, selling the raw inventory of a notorious fraudster. And anyhow I don't know any respected auction these days that would sell some of the cards you are calling NM or NM MT without grading them. These are not attacks, that's a bogus narrative on your part. These are legitimate concerns, not answered simply by saying, trust us.

Peter,

Look, I know I'm not going to win with you. You have been one of the most critical people on this thread and no matter what I say you aren't going to believe me. There's no point in repeating myself over and over again. The only thing I can ask is that you give us the chance to prove ourselves. With this auction and the subsequent one's. Like many people on here have said, if we aren't being honest, we won't last very long. I plan on Candiman Auctions being around for years to come. Can you at least agree to allow us the chance to prove ourselves? Time will prove that we are being straightforward with everyone.

Daniel

CandimanAuctions 03-07-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 1755155)
Daniel, have no problem with you or Battlefield and when I bought from Battlefield, was aa flawless transaction. I would have no problem bidding in your auction as you seem legitimate. Only Issue I have is there is nothing there I am interested in as is true for most auctions including ebay. Not your fault on this one as I have a very narrow focus of collecting. Good luck on your acution and I wish you the best. As with any auction including the big ones, it is always Caveat Emptor.

Kmac

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much. I hope we have some items in our future auctions that will interest you.

Thanks,

Daniel

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755171)
Peter,

Look, I know I'm not going to win with you. You have been one of the most critical people on this thread and no matter what I say you aren't going to believe me. There's no point in repeating myself over and over again. The only thing I can ask is that you give us the chance to prove ourselves. With this auction and the subsequent one's. Like many people on here have said, if we aren't being honest, we won't last very long. I plan on Candiman Auctions being around for years to come. Can you at least agree to allow us the chance to prove ourselves? Time will prove that we are being straightforward with everyone.

Daniel

You very well may be honest, and I do hope that turns out to be the case. But by your logic -- I wouldn't do anything dishonest or I won't last -- there would be no dishonesty in the world. It doesn't help. What would help is if you took the collective advice of this Board on how to effectively dissociate yourself from Battlefield, but since you won't, then I think most of us are just going to wait and see and not take risks.

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Can you at least agree to allow us the chance to prove ourselves?

I think that's a fair request.

buymycards 03-07-2018 02:51 PM

Daniel

Hi Daniel, you haven't been attacked by everyone on this forum. There seems to be a group of 8 to 10 guys who attack many of the auction houses, they attack many of the larger eBay sellers, and seem to be negative about just about everything.

It seems like every post ends up with an long argument between David and Peter.

Welcome to Net54. :)

pclpads 03-07-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755143)
Dave,

Daniel

Hey Pal! Just a reminder: you're the one who introduced your religion into this thread - (perhaps thinking that would buy you some cred?) That was my only point in my post: when in doubt, play the Jesus card. Frankly, I don't give a rat's a** what your religious preference is. You brought it up, not me. So, that makes your comment fair game. Do not spin this like I am slamming or shaming anyone's religion. And frankly, religion is irrelevant and unwelcome to this board and this thread.

botn 03-07-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755145)
Greg,

I think people are overthinking the word "appears". It only means that by our evaluation a card appears to be in ____ condition. If I'm evaluating a card and say "this card appears to be NM to me" I don't see any problem with that. I believe our grades are accurate but as we all know grading is subjective. It is only our opinion. That's why there are images of every card in the auction posted for everyone to see so potential bidders can make their own judgement before placing a bid.

Daniel

Daniel,

You are simply talking in circles. Grading is subjective. PSA, SGC and BVG graders do it every day. You do not see their flips saying Appears NM-MT, do you? If you have the skills, experience and qualifications you should not have to use the word "appears" to describe the condition of a card. And 2 or 3 times now I have stated your scans are inadequate and far too small for anyone to assess a card. You like to compare yourself to every other auction house so please tell me another auction house that only provides tiny scans on their auction lots?

I give you credit for coming on here but what is the point if you keep skirting the issues? Yeah I know you do not think you are not skirting the issues. You reply but you truly communicate nothing substantial. I was neutral after first post but I am incredibly skeptical now given the replies you have made here.

Greg

cardsnstuff 03-07-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsnstuff (Post 1755130)
Actually, your wrong, several auctions houses already accept paypal and several more are moving towards that. For many, it's also convenient; In your particular situation, the reason I suggest it, is because although you might be telling the truth {might, being the key word}, it will provide any buyers with more protection particularly if item is not as described. You must admit the questionable practices of the past and current inventory in the current auction DO NOT inspire confidence.

Daniel, The reason I keep pushing paypal; As asked previously, Specifically: what guarantee's are you offering that an item is accurately described? I am not speaking about those as identified as authentic. I am speaking of those that are not. I understand other auction houses perhaps don't offer any either however they have a presence in the hobby for decades and thousands of satisfied customers, and generally many accept returns if not as described. And if you have followed the industry most high grade and many high $ mid grade examples of vintage cards are graded now a days, especially with the fraud that has existed in the past.

As a new auction house I think you need to go over and above {as I do on ebay, Just an FYI I am not plugging myself I am just using myself as an example}. I hope you can be successful, If you are honest you will be. Good Luck

glchen 03-07-2018 03:04 PM

I'll just throw a vote in and repeat what most of the other posters in this thread have said. If the OP wants to be given the benefit of the doubt and treated as a respected auctioneer, he needs to grade any valuable card that he has listed, in which he does not expect an Authentic grade. I would personally say that any card with a estimated value over $500 should be graded by a respected TPG (e.g., PSA, SGC, Beckett). Actions speak louder than words on a forum, and that is my belief on what the OP needs to do in order to be trusted.

Forever Young 03-07-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1755191)
I'll just throw a vote in and repeat what most of the other posters in this thread have said. If the OP wants to be given the benefit of the doubt and treated as a respected auctioneer, he needs to grade any valuable card that he has listed, in which he does not expect an Authentic grade. I would personally say that any card with a estimated value over $500 should be graded by a respected TPG (e.g., PSA, SGC, Beckett). Actions speak louder than words on a forum, and that is my belief on what the OP needs to do in order to be trusted.

Agreed. I am no professional card grader but many of the borders look uneven and/or “short”. Maybe it is my mind playing tricks on me based on the history here. I have never done biz with the op parents as i am no card guy. All of this said, i think my opinion based on Whst i read here is telling since i have no skin in this game. I would Not spend money in this auction thinking a card that “looks Nm” would grade out even close to that the way things are worded coupled with past links. It just all points one way... which is nowhere good imo.

BoyWonder089 03-07-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoyWonder089 (Post 1754789)
Hi Daniel and Justin,

First off, good luck with the auction. I hope everything you have said up to this point is honest and filled with nothing but good intentions.

This is merely a suggestion, but might you two be willing to post a video introducing yourselves and the auction site a bit more? Maybe provide some close up highlights of the auction?

I think many people realize how easily photos can be shopped, so maybe a video might add some additional trust?

Daniel and Justin,

Any chance you guys would be willing to post an introduction video? Might help add some trust?

pokerplyr80 03-07-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1755170)
Jesse,

Have you looked at the auction? I would hardly describe the majority of the auction as "overly optimistic grading assessments". There are many lower grade cards that have been clearly graded just as the higher grade stuff.

Daniel

I have, actually. I see scans that I can't even zoom in on to try to make out the details. And the corners are fuzzy and I can't tell how sharp they are. I have no way to know if a card listed is really NM or NM + as you have them described, or VG, ex, or altered as I assume they will grade.

When I look through an auction listing I hit the sort by price, high to low button. If I'm interested in what I see I will keep scrolling from one page to the next. After seeing the first page of your auction i saw no need to keep going.

I did see a 55 bowman mantle very off center with rounded corners described an NM, as well as several other cards that seem over graded.

As I mentioned in an earlier post what I have seen seems very similar to what I saw in battlefielslds eBay listings, moved to a stand alone auction site. Perhaps I will check out the next auction and see if it looks any different. But I will be sitting this one out.

vintagetoppsguy 03-07-2018 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1755197)
I did see a 55 bowman mantle very off center with rounded corners described an NM...

I have to agree with this. The OC part doesn't bother me, people can judge centering for themselves. But the corners do appear to be rounded (especially the top right and bottom left). The funny thing is they don't show any wear. You would think you would see a lot of white showing through with the corners that rounded. :confused:

I increased the size of the scans some.

Peter_Spaeth 03-07-2018 03:47 PM

One man's NM is another man's EX.

botn 03-07-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1755208)
I have to agree with this. The OC part doesn't bother me, people can judge centering for themselves. But the corners do appear to be rounded (especially the top right and bottom left). The funny thing is they don't show any wear. You would think you would see a lot of white showing through with the corners that rounded. :confused:

I increased the size of the scans some.

Well we have been told that grading is subjective. If this is an example of their NM then it is very safe to assume the other NM examples (that do appear to be NM) have hidden flaws that would render them EX.

botn 03-07-2018 04:13 PM

Sing along if you know the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPGyKGuWeA

chlankf 03-07-2018 06:02 PM

I fortunately never dealt with Battlefield. I do respect the majority of opinions of our board members and stayed away from them and will be following suite on your auctions, why risk my hard earned money. Time will be the true test for you in your venture and i honestly hope your comments shine true. While, like many, i am skeptical on your sincerity. In my experience those who try this hard to defend themselves are usually guilty and overly trying to cover their tracks, a guilty minds worst enemy. That being said, I do wish you the best of luck and would welcome another honest, key word, venue to obtain items. Just my two cents, pull any item that you are not 100% certain that the description is not spot on, you should be overly critical of your items. If you have even one or two Net54 members take the risk winning an item and are unsatisfied, you will never recover. The reputation damage will be irreparable and you will have wasted time, money and have shot yourself for ever having an opportunity again.

Take the advice from the community here, no one is trying to deter you from following your dreams. If you ignore all the suggestions it will be your loss and IMO a foolish move.

Final thought, leave religion out of all conversations unless you are discussing with a group of folks that all share the same beliefs. This is not that group. While it may have been innocent, there are those of us who view the remarks negatively and laughable.

irv 03-07-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Peter,

Daniel

You repeatedly keep saying this but what guarantees anyone that you guys will be around after your first auction is over?? Many here are thinking this, I can guarantee that.

Like what has been mentioned numerous times, you sound and look too much like Battlefield and War-eagle.

My gut tells me, and I hope I am wrong, that you guys are just trying one last time to grab as much money as you can before you leave the hobby/auctions for good.

I also think you likely know that this forum/some members here had a big part in your parents demise/exit from E-Bay.

I know this is harsh, but like what has been said numerous times, you are not answering questions fully and seem determined to continue down that path without appeasing anyones concerns or questions. :confused:

Post up bigger, expandable pictures for starters. That cannot be that hard can it? And if you are 100% truthful in your self praise that you are in it for the long haul, that should have been done immediately after the first poster mentioned it.
You still have not given a reasonable answer why you never did that in the first place nor why you continue not too?

Like I said much earlier, you had me for a bit with your choice words where I actually believed you somewhat, :o but after reading more and more of your replies, I have completely done a 180 since.

botport 03-07-2018 07:13 PM

How long does this need to go on?

Most single vintage cards in auctions... collector grade to high grade are slabbed by a TPG... enough of the free advertisement for Candiman Inc.

Plenty of people have had their say. Let the auction, and or future auctions sink or swim. Enough information has been disseminated for people to make their own minds up.

frankbmd 03-07-2018 07:18 PM

To paraphrase Groucho Marx

“I wouldn’t want to be a bidder in any auction that would accept me as a bidder.”

Jenx34 03-07-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1754560)
I am not buying candiman is here to be robinhood. I think battlefield and candiman are the same entity.

Basket of deplorables

Toby Petersen

I don't know that to be true. However, I had some issues with battlefield in July (I guess that's why I didn't get an email from them!). My takeaways from that and going forward are:

1. Once I filed a return claim on Ebay, I received and traded messages on Ebay. The tone was not nice, as I was not happy they relisted and sold all of the cards again, including one that had unmentioned paper loss on the back, BEFORE they refunded my money. The verbage of those messages did not have the feel of coming from a female. They also didn't contain wording what I would think of as coming from an 80+ yr old man and felt like they were coming with someone younger. I can't prove it and I went back and those messages are no longer on Ebay. So Daniel, if it wasn't you or your brother, who was handling that part of the business for your parents?

2. Battlefield and then War Eagle Vintage both used Auctiva software. They listed 500-600 cards per week. I apologize if I offend some of our older collectors who are computer savvy, but how realistic is that they didn't have help from the kids. I could be wrong on this one as I'm almost 50 myself, but I still thought it far fetched that war eagle vintage could be up and running so fast, especially if you believed the story in their listings, which brings me to #3......

3. When War Eagle Vintage started selling right after Battlefield stopped, their listings included a story about how they were selling a lifelong collection after recently retiring, blah blah blah. "Their story" certainly didn't give the feel of "we've been in business for a long time screwing people". It was also noted here that several of the cards listed were recently purchased as authentic, with comparable pics to prove it.

So I ask, why should we believe this is not just another story spun as was done with war_eagle_vintage? It seems Ebay was no longer an option, so another way to do business had to be found. Spin it with a new story and make money? Keep in mind, Battlefield took returns and issued refunds. So is changing their policy on refunds as a member suggested here, really helpful? It sounds good, but if you sell enough stuff and make enough money, who cares if you have to take returns? It works for WalMart!

One of the other things I read about Candiman, Inc. existing since 2011 makes me question things. What is the history there? Maybe it's already been answered, but an explanation there would be nice.

One last thought... even if everything they say is true and they are "clean" and don't/never approve of how their parents did business, aren't buyers of these cards simply rewarding the parents anyway? If the money is going back to them, it doesn't seem like them being "out of the business" is true.

DJR 03-07-2018 10:14 PM

How hard would it be for Silkroadauction to shut down this charade?

BeanTown 03-07-2018 10:14 PM

One thing I noticed when registering to bid on their auction. You are approved right away no matter what information you put down. No verification on anything and approval happens right after you hit submit.

slipk1068 03-07-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions (Post 1754295)
Hey guys,

My name is Daniel and along with my brother Justin, we are the owners of Candiman Auctions. We We want to be upfront and honest with everyone about our association with them. We are related to the owners as I'm sure everyone on here already suspected based on our last name.

Related? Really? You make your parents sound like distant cousins. If you wanted to be upfront and honest, you could have been a little more transparent about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenx34 (Post 1755322)
even if everything they say is true and they are "clean" and don't/never approve of how their parents did business, aren't buyers of these cards simply rewarding the parents anyway? If the money is going back to them, it doesn't seem like them being "out of the business" is true.

Exactly. Even if they are disassociated from their parents, anyone who bids in this auction is rewarding their parents. They don't deserve our bids.

I believe the brothers should be judged apart from their parents. Problem is, Candiman appears to be nothing more than a revamped Battlefield.

Jenx34 03-07-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1755078)
LOL, come on, Jeff. As I already stated (and as someone confirmed 3 posts above), altered and trimmed cards DO have a place in the hobby.

Peter chastises Candiman for purchasing Battlefield's inventory, I'm just curious what Peter thinks should have happened to it?

David:

The answer is not as cut and dried as you want it to be. The fact that they are consigning cards from the inventory of a known scammer as the feature cards in their first auction doesn't pass the smell test. It makes one wonder if they aren't just in this for a quick buck. I don't know the answer to what should happen to all of those cards, but being the feature of a new auction house run by family members just doesn't sit well.

What people are saying, is because of the history, they should go above and beyond to make sure they are above reproach. That they go the extra mile to distance themselves and earn respect on their own rather than jumping right in with mamma and daddy's tainted collection. Perhaps if they established themselves first and then added a few to future auctions with even more detail than they are presenting, it might fly. But I have yet to see them state in this thread that they have measured every single card and only made note of a handful (ones that could likely be traced back to their parents REA purchases?).

Also, in their responses they keep referring to Battlefield's inventory and not condoning Battlefield's prior actions, but no mention of war_wagle_vintage. Maybe a technicality, but future auctions could have inventory from war eagle, but not Battlefield.... Still lots of questions for me.

Jenx34 03-07-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Peter,

Daniel

Daniel, your problem with Peter is you keep coming back with the same responses and he keeps challenging you because your responses to cover the depth of his concerns. I believe what Peter has said and is trying to say is this...

As a new auction house, fairly or unfairly attached to the reputation of your parents Ebay shenanigans, if you want respect from the serious card community, it is on YOU to go above and beyond to SEPARATE your business from the transgressions of your family. Featuring their inventory isn't doing so. And your continued responses about Peter's concern re: grading accuracy and another's question about Paypal with "we are the same as all the other auction houses" does nothing to separate you or give anyone the confidence that you are not just an extension of your parents with a new story and method.

If you are NOT them, prove it by separating yourself from them, not just denouncing them. If you had listed a few cards of theirs and disclosed that might be just fine. But that collection is the bellcow of this first auction, which sends up red flags everywhere. So it really is YOU that is not doing a good enough job earning it, rather than just asking people to believe you.

I truly hope you can see the difference.

Stonepony 03-08-2018 09:15 AM

I've been following this thread and likely was the one to direct the auctioneer to this thread. After reading opinions and examining the cards in the auction I have a couple thoughts. 1) Candiman auctions has shown williness to engage in conversation that is quite heated and inflammatory, yet shown poise and respect. That's not easy to do. I understand they haven't complied with some posters request or answered all questions. I don't expect them to suddenly close an auction scheduled to close in a couple days and ship cards to PSA that is months and months behind on orders. 2) I believe most if not all the " high grade" raw cards are Battlefield inventory and not another consignor 3) I am not going to take a chance on the auction ( disclosed- I did put in a bid for the Red Heart Mantle before I knew who they were associated with) because I'm not comfortable with their ability to assign grades. If I bought a card and it came back authentic from PSA I would simply return it. My problem is cards that are listed as NM ( the 1955 B Mantle) that is clearly VG. This wipes out any confidence I would have that their assigned grades are remotely accurate. Without larger scans and more detailed descriptions I can't risk it.
I'm sure someone on this site is going to take a flyer. sometimes we can't help
Ourselves. I hope those persons keep us updated. I hope all works out well for all involved, but I'm out.

slidekellyslide 03-08-2018 11:26 AM

So two young guys with accounting degrees decide to go into the baseball card business at the same time their parents get booted from ebay? They say no one can claim to have done business with them in the past yet they also say they have collected their whole life. They have Battlefield NM-M in appearance cards that they refuse to send off for grading. Paypal not accepted.

And then one of them dropped the "God bless" card.

Good luck fellas.

Peter_Spaeth 03-08-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1755456)
So two young guys with accounting degrees decide to go into the baseball card business at the same time their parents get booted from ebay? They say no one can claim to have done business with them in the past yet they also say they have collected their whole life. They have Battlefield NM-M in appearance cards that they refuse to send off for grading. Paypal not accepted.

And then one of them dropped the "God bless" card.

Good luck fellas.

And don't forget, no recourse if you or a TPG disagrees with their grade. Hardly a theoretical concern given the origin of the cards and the NM I mean EX 55 Mantle we saw yesterday.

Bpm0014 03-08-2018 12:01 PM

There is a Don Mattingly card that is described at "Mint +". Whatever that means? :confused::confused:

bnorth 03-08-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755462)
And don't forget, no recourse if you or a TPG disagrees with their grade. Hardly a theoretical concern given the origin of the cards and the NM I mean EX 55 Mantle we saw yesterday.

Is there a single auction house that guarantees that a card will grade exactly the same as their estimate?

Peter_Spaeth 03-08-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1755464)
Is there a single auction house that guarantees that a card will grade exactly the same as their estimate?

Is there a single other auction house selling Battlefield's inventory, or selling 52T NM Jackie Robinsons ungraded?

Beyond that, with most auction houses or dealers, you know the qualifications and track record of the guys telling you their grades. If (just to pick a couple of names at random) Steve Verkman or Mike Wheat or Dean's Cards are telling me how a "raw" card grades, that means something to me.

If it's an unknown telling you the grade, you're taking a big risk on anything worth real dollars.

bnorth 03-08-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1755466)
Is there a single other auction house selling Battlefield's inventory, or selling 52T NM Jackie Robinsons ungraded?

Peter your answer is even more evasive than theirs.:D

slipk1068 03-08-2018 12:18 PM

A nice midgrade 52 Jackie has been very high on my wantlist for a while. Just waiting for the right card at the right price. It is tempting to go for the one in their auction because I can likely get that for a PSA 4-5 price. If I can get it into a PSA 6 or higher holder, JACKPOT. Battlefield built their business around collectors trying to do just that-find a raw bargain.

I am not fooled. I do think these brothers deserve to be judged separate from their parents, but the safest route is to sit this one out and wait to hear the feedback from their 1st auction.