Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT but front page worthy Jordan card ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265660)

Peter_Spaeth 02-18-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1855613)
I’ve watched kids in card shops and card shows rip open a pack, flip through the cards, and throw away the entire contents of the pack just because there was no autographed, diamond encrusted, jersey card with MLB logo on it. It appears to me that these hidden inserts have become the entire hobby, and base cards are just pack-filler. I think this difference alone is enough to put the Goudey comparison to rest. One sleezy gum company completely left a card out of a set 85 years ago. No one here is saying that’s ok, but I don’t see how it relates to the current state of modern cards. Those kids bought more packs in efforts to complete their sets, not in search of a 1/1 card that they hoped would pay for college. At worse, they ended up with a duplicate and a fresh piece of gum. The motivations of the collectors were far different, irrespective of the motivation of the card company, which is always money.

I think this Jordan card is particularly annoying to the vintage collector because there doesn’t seem to be anything really special about the card other than rarity. It’s not a rookie, or even an early Jordan card. It’s not from an all-time set. It’s not autographed. It’s not some spectacular image. It’s just a card that a company printed 10 of. That’s it. You can’t blame a collector for imagining all of the amazing cards they could buy with that money, and being stunned that someone would spend it on this rare, if unspectacular Jordan card. I’m sure that vintage guys grumble when an LBJ rookie sells for crazy money, but they will usually conceed that a 1/1 LBJ rookie is a special card. This Jordan just leaves some heads scratching.

Don't forget it's also altered.

swarmee 02-18-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1855613)
It’s not from an all-time set.

Most of your post was spot on, but this one is not. To modern collectors, the Precious Metal Gems set definitely qualifies.

Previous sales:
Jordan Red /90 PSA AUTH: $21,500 sold by BBCE in 2016
Barkley Red /90 PSA 8: $3,250 sold by PWCC in 2018
Kobe Championship /50 PSA 7: $3400 by PWCC in 2017
Glenn Robinson Green /10 PSA 7: sold for $950 in 2017 and $1400 in 2018
Sean Elliott Green /10 PSA 8: sold for $1000 in 2017
Ron Mercer Green /10 PSA 7: sold for $600 twice
Kevin Willis Red /90 raw: sold for $200 on COMC
Grant Hill Red /90 raw: sold for $600 on COMC
Voshon Leonard Red /90 raw: sold for $120 on COMC
Antoine Walker Red /90 raw: sold for $210 on COMC
Jermaine O'Neal Red /90 raw: sold for $150 on COMC

As you can see, even the /90 red versions are highly sought after for common players. And the condition sensitivity isn't near as important due to the rarity. If you don't buy the card when it comes up for auction, no guarantee it comes around again.

darwinbulldog 02-18-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1855675)
Don't forget it's also altered.

It's the only altered one. Talk about rare!

orly57 02-18-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1855680)
Most of your post was spot on, but this one is not. To modern collectors, the Precious Metal Gems set definitely qualifies.

Previous sales:
Jordan Red /90 PSA AUTH: $21,500 sold by BBCE in 2016
Barkley Red /90 PSA 8: $3,250 sold by PWCC in 2018
Kobe Championship /50 PSA 7: $3400 by PWCC in 2017
Glenn Robinson Green /10 PSA 7: sold for $950 in 2017 and $1400 in 2018
Sean Elliott Green /10 PSA 8: sold for $1000 in 2017
Ron Mercer Green /10 PSA 7: sold for $600 twice
Kevin Willis Red /90 raw: sold for $200 on COMC
Grant Hill Red /90 raw: sold for $600 on COMC
Voshon Leonard Red /90 raw: sold for $120 on COMC
Antoine Walker Red /90 raw: sold for $210 on COMC
Jermaine O'Neal Red /90 raw: sold for $150 on COMC

As you can see, even the /90 red versions are highly sought after for common players. And the condition sensitivity isn't near as important due to the rarity. If you don't buy the card when it comes up for auction, no guarantee it comes around again.

Yeah, I may have spoken out of school on that particular line, since I don’t know modern cards. I appreciate the comment.

orly57 02-18-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1855681)
It's the only altered one. Talk about rare!

This was funny no matter what side of the aisle you are on.

Rhotchkiss 02-18-2019 09:55 AM

I just read this entire thread. I don’t collect modern. I don’t even like modern-day baseball. I own two cards that are newer than 1921 (the infamous 33 Lajoie and a 35 Nagurski). I love old, I love rare, and I love it most if its 100+ years. I hate when I take my kids to shows and they want to spend $100 on some lottery box instead of buying a mid-grade Clemente or something similar (my kids are not into the 100+ year stuff). All that said, I am glad that New cards are popular and valuable. It’s good for all aspects/areas of the “hobby”/asset class.

So you modern guys, keep collecting, or playing the lottery, or whatever you do. You are good for us old-stick-in-the-mud vintage collectors. You are good for cards. You keep the hobby new and you help keep cards valuable. I don’t understand your taste, but I don’t need to understand. We are all on the same team, look at the same auctions, attend the same shows, search the Internet for like-minded friends on forums like these. Go Sports Cards!

Orioles1954 02-18-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1855711)
I just read this entire thread. I don’t collect modern. I don’t even like modern-day baseball. I own two cards that are newer than 1921 (the infamous 33 Lajoie and a 35 Nagurski). I love old, I love rare, and I love it most if its 100+ years. I hate when I take my kids to shows and they want to spend $100 on some lottery box instead of buying a mid-grade Clemente or something similar (my kids are not into the 100+ year stuff). All that said, I am glad that New cards are popular and valuable. It’s good for all aspects/areas of the “hobby”/asset class.

So you modern guys, keep collecting, or playing the lottery, or whatever you do. You are good for us old-stick-in-the-mud vintage collectors. You are good for cards. You keep the hobby new and you help keep cards valuable. I don’t understand your taste, but I don’t need to understand. We are all on the same team, look at the same auctions, attend the same shows, search the Internet for like-minded friends on forums like these. Go Sports Cards!

Well said.

Neal 02-18-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1855725)
Well said.

Indeed!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

swarmee 02-18-2019 12:47 PM

https://www.buzzsprout.com/238508/96...5th-of-an-inch
People care so much about this card they just recorded a 2 hour, 40 minute podcast discussing it (and the rest of the set).

HRBAKER 02-18-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1855760)
https://www.buzzsprout.com/238508/96...5th-of-an-inch
People care so much about this card they just recorded a 2 hour, 40 minute podcast discussing it (and the rest of the set).

That wouldn't be quite as bad a sitting through Reds.

To each their own I say.

ullmandds 02-18-2019 01:32 PM

dont think I have the fortitude to listen to that!!!

swarmee 02-18-2019 02:12 PM

It reminded me to go to COMC and check out the base cards for sale. I started looking for some GT players in the set and grabbed one of each. One of them had an error (originally all base cards were marked PMG next to the card number, then they put a black covering around the number to hide the printing error).
So I looked through the rest of the set, found about 5, bought them, and submitted to COMC that they should mark them as errors. Repriced them to attempt making a small profit.

ullmandds 02-18-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1855785)
It reminded me to go to COMC and check out the base cards for sale. I started looking for some GT players in the set and grabbed one of each. One of them had an error (originally all base cards were marked PMG next to the card number, then they put a black covering around the number to hide the printing error).
So I looked through the rest of the set, found about 5, bought them, and submitted to COMC that they should mark them as errors. Repriced them to attempt making a small profit.

say what????? COMC...GT...PMG...is this some other language?

HRBAKER 02-18-2019 02:19 PM

Check Out My Cards
Georgia Tech

...I got 2/3

I think PMG refers to the insert - Precious Metal Gems

swarmee 02-18-2019 02:34 PM

https://img.comc.com/i/Basketball/19...zoom&side=back
COMC: Check out my Cards website. 20 million cards for sale.
GT: Georgia Tech
PMG: Precious Metal Gems. What this thread is about.

2/3 have been in my signature here for years.

barrysloate 02-18-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1855350)
Well one difference is the modern manufacturer is creating scarcity to create a speculative secondary market in its product and to create the illusion it's a financially valuable commodity. Neither of which were the goals of the President of the Goudey card company. The old scarcities are rare today because they are scarce, not because someone set out to make them desirable on Ebay.

This sums up my feelings. When vintage cards were printed some hundred years ago, there was not one iota of thought by the manufacturer that one day these cards would be valuable. They were printed for one reason only: to help sell a product associated with it. It would take generations for collectors to discover that some were genuinely rare and worth a premium. It would take generations to determine that some were hard to find and in great demand, and that somebody would be willing to pay a lot of money to purchase them.

Modern cards are different. In the case of this Jordan, a bunch of guys in suits sat in a boardroom and came up with a strategy to manufacture a rarity that current collectors would pay a huge premium for. You can collect whatever you want and pay whatever you want, but a vintage card that became rare and expensive over time is a completely different animal than a modern card that was planned from the outset to be a chase card for collectors.

I don't acknowledge the latter, but apparently there are collectors who do. Chances are in the long run they will lose money on most of these manufactured rarities, but that is their choice and it is their money

ullmandds 02-18-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1855794)
This sums up my feelings. When vintage cards were printed some hundred years ago, there was not one iota of thought by the manufacturer that one day these cards would be valuable. They were printed for one reason only: to help sell a product associated with it. It would take generations for collectors to discover that some were genuinely rare and worth a premium. It would take generations to determine that some were hard to find and in great demand, and that somebody would be willing to pay a lot of money to purchase them.

Modern cards are different. In the case of this Jordan, a bunch of guys in suits sat in a boardroom and came up with a strategy to manufacture a rarity that current collectors would pay a huge premium for. You can collect whatever you want and pay whatever you want, but a vintage card that became rare and expensive over time is a completely different animal than a modern card that was planned from the outset to be a chase card for collectors.

I don't acknowledge the latter, but apparently there are collectors who do. Chances are in the long run they will lose money on most of these manufactured rarities, but that is their choice and it is their money

well stated Barry!

Huysmans 02-18-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1855794)

+2

ALR-bishop 02-18-2019 05:39 PM

5 cents in 1933 is worth what today ? $1 or 95 cents ? $100 then is worth what?
$2667 or so ?

Peter_Spaeth 02-18-2019 06:00 PM

It may be a cult set, and that's cool for people who enjoy it, but to me it's just a base card painted green.

frankbmd 02-18-2019 09:13 PM

Modern, Vintage, Prewar and Pop Goes the Weasel

A modern card in an 8 or 9 holder is virtually the same as the same card in a 10 holder.

Similarly a prewar tobacco card in a 6 holder, is also quite similar to its higher graded brethren occupying 7 or 8 holders.

However Pop reports in all eras suggest that there is rarity at the extreme upper end of the grading scale regardless of the era or issue.

So what difference does it make anyway, suits in the Topps board room manufacture rarity, card doctors restore tobacco cards and by doing so "manufacture" rarity, or graders by their pyramid of grading "manufacture" rarity at the upper end of the scale. All are weasels.

Card grading enhances the ability of collectors to deal via the internet, but
card grading and Pop reports a secondary effect, to facilitate "cashing" in on that rarity whichever factor was involved in creating it. Different weasels to be sure, but the same results when viewed broadly.

Exponential cost differential relative to linear grading increments seems irrational.
Should a card absent one microscopic imperfection be worth 10, 20 or 30 times the card with that imperfection. Probably not, but it is. The necessary catalyst for this construct to flourish is the buyer's ego without which pricing would lose much of its ever increasing exponential steps and return to a more linear scale.

Nothing earth shattering hear but to try to explain the difference between a high grade tobacco card that spent 90 years in a book as a forgotten bookmark, a mint 52 Mantle rookie card of which a small finite number exist, and a Michael Jordan green metallic refractor numbered 1/2 seems like a fruitless exercise. All are rare. Their rarity was created by different circumstances, but each will attract a collector with a wallet compatible with his ego, for a place atop a Registry, bragging rights or perhaps only to profit from a resale knowing that with our current system there will always be a greater fool who will pay more for that special card than he did. Or will there?

ullmandds 02-19-2019 06:05 AM

Auction ended...again???

WillBBC 02-19-2019 08:54 AM

It's still open:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Metal-...frcectupt=true

Snapolit1 02-19-2019 09:12 AM

Sitting as a measly 121K. Mere bag of shells. Last time there was a $750,000 bid retraction, a $200,000 bid retraction, and a $176,000 bid retraction. From different bidders. And a $500,000 bid was cancelled from a seller with "0" feedback.

I don't know where you vintage guys get the idea this modern market for high end modern cards is anything less than being on the up and up. Perfectly normal bidding behavior. Nothing to see here. Move on.

swarmee 02-19-2019 03:42 PM

LOL; because all the eBay bids on vintage items are authentic...

Dpeck100 02-19-2019 05:02 PM

There are 2,484 watchers on this card.

Obviously plenty are just rubbing necking but that is a huge number and indicative of a very large number of people interested in this card.

The next closest card on EBAY using the search PSA is at 736 watchers and it is the Tim Duncan from this set.

To put this in better perspective the next highest is a Jordan PSA 10 rookie at 432.

darwinbulldog 02-20-2019 09:12 PM

If the buyer pays in the next few hours he gets $100 back in eBay bucks.

jackwesq 02-20-2019 09:20 PM

Auction ended with a high bid of $350,100.00. Quite amazing in my opinion.

Throttlesteer 02-20-2019 10:33 PM

That's a lot of beanie babies

Hxcmilkshake 02-20-2019 10:33 PM

And the Tim Duncan card from the same set went for almost 34k!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jdoggs 02-20-2019 11:21 PM

can someone explain why this Jordan card is so popular?

swarmee 02-21-2019 04:26 AM

Sold to Nat Turner, super high end collector.

Jdoggs, read the rest of this thread. It has already answered your question over and over again.

Dpeck100 02-21-2019 05:23 AM

This is the beauty of capitalism. It spawns people successfull enough to drop 350k on a shiny Michael Jordan card from 1997 and not even flinch.

Awesome!

orly57 02-22-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1856811)
Sold to Nat Turner, super high end collector.

Jdoggs, read the rest of this thread. It has already answered your question over and over again.

I looked him up, and found this:

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ard-collection

Of note:
“I just got PSA to add a set to the Registry and I am currently the only one working on the set because these cards are so rare. It is the 1997-98 Precious Metals Gems Green Basketball set. I have already completed the red set, of which 90 cards were produced of each player, and there are 123 cards in the set. There were only 10 serial-numbered examples of each green card produced, and I have 107 of them so far. I am missing 16 cards right now.”

He recently sold his company for 2.1 Billion dollars.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 09:05 AM

The Gem Mint grade was pure marketing genius.

Snapolit1 02-23-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpeck100 (Post 1856821)
This is the beauty of capitalism. It spawns people successfull enough to drop 350k on a shiny Michael Jordan card from 1997 and not even flinch.

Awesome!

One way to look at it. The other way of course is how ridiculous is it that folks in this country can't afford to go to the doctor or the dentist and this dude has 350K to drop on a shiny Michael Jordan card from 1997.

rats60 02-23-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1857477)
One way to look at it. The other way of course is how ridiculous is it that folks in this country can't afford to go to the doctor or the dentist and this dude has 350K to drop on a shiny Michael Jordan card from 1997.

It is called capitalism. People who want to work hard can buy nice things for themselves. Those that are lazy will struggle to survive.

Snapolit1 02-23-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1857481)
It is called capitalism. People who want to work hard can buy nice things for themselves. Those that are lazy will struggle to survive.

Yeah I guess that's it. Thanks for the education.

swarmee 02-23-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Are you not this same guy with less zeroes at the end?

Snapolit1 02-23-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1857487)
Are you not this same guy with less zeroes at the end?

Yes, I buy expensive cards. And I'm not knocking anyone who does. But if someone's going to say how great is capitalism that people can spend hundreds of thousands on a baseball card, I'll make the obviously point that if capitalism is so great why is it that some people (who work very hard) can't get by with the bare necessities. Read recently that over 50% of our fellow Americans can't come up with $900 for an emergency.

And that's my last comment on the subject before Leon gives me ring.

Fuddjcal 02-23-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1854983)
Enough whining from modern collectors. Put the hanky down and stop crying. I'll put the violin away.

Collect what you like. And don't give a sh*t what others think. Collect humels with little girls twirling umbrellas if that's your thing.

Problem with modern cards is old farts like me can name 250 players since 1970 that "smart guys" were hoarding and eventually their wives had to beg someone to come to the house to throw them away. You know which players I'm talking about. Yeah, virtually every can't miss guy in the modern era. Can you catch lightning in a bottle? Sure, there are a few Trout cards worth big bucks. Usually because they are some color variation or something else. But many many many people have spent big bucks hoarding modern cards that proved worthless. Hell, some of them have even written books about them.

Saying modern cards are a sound investment is like saying penny stocks are a good investment. Sure 1 our of every 10,000 turn into a great investment. And the guy who cleans up will make a big stink about it forever. I'll stick with Babe Ruth. You can have Acuna.

This sums it up in a nutshell. While everyone was busy buying Billy Ripken FF cards and then all the 80's 90's complete garbage, I was busy buying vintage. How did I do compared to the minions? You can not give that stuff away. You have to pay to landfill it all. Acuna may be good, but odds are he flames out. Babe ruth we know about. He WAS good!

pokerplyr80 02-23-2019 10:57 AM

If you want to give socialism a shot I hear things are great in Venezuela. You may even track down some rare Topps cards while you're there.

TheNightmanCometh 02-23-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

No system is perfect, but capitalism is still the best.

TheNightmanCometh 02-23-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1857509)
If you want to give socialism a shot I hear things are great in Venezuela. You may even track down some rare Topps cards while you're there.

I've bought quite a few cards from there, but despite everything that's going on over there the prices haven't changed.

Huysmans 02-23-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1857489)
Yes, I buy expensive cards. And I'm not knocking anyone who does. But if someone's going to say how great is capitalism that people can spend hundreds of thousands on a baseball card, I'll make the obviously point that if capitalism is so great why is it that some people (who work very hard) can't get by with the bare necessities. Read recently that over 50% of our fellow Americans can't come up with $900 for an emergency.

And that's my last comment on the subject before Leon gives me ring.

You just said it yourself.... YOU buy expensive cards, but now you're going to question others that do, as well as the system that A) Is able to facilitate it, and B) Gives you a voice to be able to complain? Why don't you sell those cards Steve, and contribute the money to some of your fellow Americans that have less? Just don't be a hypocrite, put your money AND your cards where your mouth is.

Gobucsmagic74 02-23-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1857481)

Unfortunately its not quite this simple

Cliff Bowman 02-23-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1857547)
Why don't you sell those cards Steve, and contribute the money to some of your fellow Americans that have less? Just don't be a hypocrite, put your money AND your cards where your mouth is.

Game, set, match.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1857548)
Unfortunately its not quite this simple

It's astonishing, though, that some people think it is. As though all the people struggling have only themselves to blame.

Republicaninmass 02-23-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1857563)
It's astonishing, though, that some people think it is. As though all the people struggling have only themselves to blame.

No not all

WAIT....

NO POLITICS ON THE BOARD!

orly57 02-23-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1857583)
No not all

WAIT....

NO POLITICS ON THE BOARD!

I agree with REPUBLICANinMass. No politics on the board. Wait, what???? Well, regardless of the irony of his screen name, he’s right.

Republicaninmass 02-23-2019 04:00 PM

:o I see what ya did there!

toledo_mudhen 02-23-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1857596)
I agree with REPUBLICANinMass. No politics on the board. Wait, what???? Well, regardless of the irony of his screen name, he’s right.

I would think a Republican in Mass would be kind of a "one of" thing?

bnorth 02-23-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1857604)

I hope he is not in Mass or I just sent a lot of pictures of famous dead people to the wrong place.:eek:

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1857604)

Not at all. Massachusetts has had four Republican governors in the past three decades.

Throttlesteer 02-23-2019 05:33 PM

This thread has played itself out and appears to be going the wrong direction. Perhaps it's time to let it be and move on.

frankbmd 02-23-2019 05:39 PM

An observation - Not a Commentary or opinion

My guess is that the Jordan buyer might balk at AOC’s Green New Deal.

And that AOC would also balk at his green new Jordan deal.:D

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 06:12 PM

I figured it was only a matter of time before you worked AOC into one of your posts.:cool::eek:

orly57 02-23-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1857630)
This thread has played itself out and appears to be going the wrong direction. Perhaps it's time to let it be and move on.

Let’s bring it back this way. There is a Magic/Bird ROOKIE PSA 10 at auction tonight. According to the PSA pop report, there are only 22 gem mint 10 Magic/Bird rookies. The auction estimate is 100k+, and it is currently at 84k with BP. Let’s compare this card to the green Jordan. The green Jordan has a slightly lower population, since only 10 were made. The M/B card was mass-produced, but only 22 10’s exist. This is the ROOKIE card of two of the greatest players of all time...on ONE CARD!!! The third player on the card is Dr.J.
The Green Jordan is an insert card in a set that was released on Jordan’s 12th season. And to top it off, it appears to be altered. So of course, it sells for 3.5X the expected sale price of a gem mint M/B rookie.
This isn’t a judgement on the buyer, or even on modern vs vintage. This is just one of the many reasons why some of us can’t understand the price on the green Jordan. When you compare the sheer importance of one card vs another, it doesn’t appear to be close. I realize that this isn’t completely apples to apples, but it certainly illustrates why so many are shocked about the Jordan.

swarmee 02-23-2019 06:54 PM

If there are 22 PSA 10s of Magic/Bird, and PSA has been grading them for 30 years, you can expect the pop report to increase by 1 almost every year. The other 7 PMG Green Jordans may never show up; only 2 or 3 of them have ever surfaced.
I get that most of the teeth-gnashing is over the fact that vintage collectors don't really understand just how big the modern insert card market is, and how the basketball market specifically is being driven by dot com millionaires all over the world (Japan, Taiwan, Nat Turner, PWCC clientele). Michael Jordan is a worldwide superstar on the Michael Jackson/Elvis level; neither Bird or Magic are.
Nat probably already has his PSA 10 Magic/Bird/Erving in the vault.
#illgetoffyourlawn ;-)

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 06:59 PM

Voice in the wilderness I know, but I think it's madness to pay 100K for a Bird Magic, there are countless thousands around in Mint shape.

orly57 02-23-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1857654)
If there are 22 PSA 10s of Magic/Bird, and PSA has been grading them for 30 years, you can expect the pop report to increase by 1 almost every year. The other 7 PMG Green Jordans may never show up; only 2 or 3 of them have ever surfaced.
I get that most of the teeth-gnashing is over the fact that vintage collectors don't really understand just how big the modern insert card market is, and how the basketball market specifically is being driven by dot com millionaires all over the world (Japan, Taiwan, Nat Turner, PWCC clientele). Michael Jordan is a worldwide superstar on the Michael Jackson/Elvis level; neither Bird or Magic are.
Nat probably already has his PSA 10 Magic/Bird/Erving in the vault.
#illgetoffyourlawn ;-)

I thought I was pretty clear about the fact that this isn’t a modern v vintage thing. In fact, I don’t think of 1980 Topps as vintage. Im pointing out the importance of the rookie card of two top-5 greats versus an insert.
Your point about the 7 other Jordans being unaccounted-for is huge. That was never mentioned on here before. Those may be lost forever. I disagree with you that a new m/b 10 will pop up a year. That issue is EXTREMELY tough to find in a 10.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 07:12 PM

I thought I saw something on Blowout where someone and maybe it was the buyer of the AUTH said he knew where 5 of the Jordans were.

orly57 02-23-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1857658)
Voice in the wilderness I know, but I think it's madness to pay 100K for a Bird Magic, there are countless thousands around in Mint shape.

I don’t disagree.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 07:23 PM

Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 PM #8
natsturner

natsturner Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eWax View Post
FYI- I still believe there a few more green Jordan PMG's in those boxes. I never have believed the story about the person overseas owning 7-8 of them.

Yeah, I know of five of them for sure that are in collector's hands

darwinbulldog 02-23-2019 07:26 PM

Magic and Bird were great, but they weren't 2 of the top 5.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1857672)
Magic and Bird were great, but they weren't 2 of the top 5.

Magic is for sure.
Bird, somewhere 7-10 IMO.

swarmee 02-23-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1857665)
Your point about the 7 other Jordans being unaccounted-for is huge. That was never mentioned on here before. Those may be lost forever. I disagree with you that a new m/b 10 will pop up a year. That issue is EXTREMELY tough to find in a 10.

Well, with VintageBreaks cracking packs every week and people with 9s reviewing them annually, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we average a new 10 per year.
Surely the big buyers are tracking which ones exist. I am doing research now and will update:
001 - pulled by a guy who bought a few boxes off eBay in 2015.
003 - claimed to be seen here: http://www.hobbykings.com/forum/view...578&highlight=
006 - PSA Auth bought by Nat Turner for $350,000
008 - This one is claimed to be 008: http://truepowermartialarts.com/just...3%20Green.html

001 article

pictures of 001 and 006

There is another picture of a rainbow (base, red, and green all together) from before 2015. It could be 006, or it could be a different number, or it could theoretically be a fake.
http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/9d9/14898...023_666390.jpg

When is the Mascot Dog Food Mantle going to resurface. If I had $50K in the bank last year, I would have bought that one to hold. Not sending that through PWCC did the owner a disservice, unless by choosing his own family's auctionhouse, he feels it was worth the additional advertising gained.

Edit: Haven't found any more, but will update if/when I hear of them. Sometimes this kind of stuff is treated as trade secrets, because it can influence prices of ones that do come to market. There are reported sales of them back when they first came out, but those may be lost to overzealous moms or ruined by attics.

Peter_Spaeth 02-23-2019 07:56 PM

John, it probably depends on whether PSA wants to grade more or not. Surely they have the pops in mind and aren't grading in a vacuum, IMO.

ullmandds 02-23-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1857665)
I thought I was pretty clear about the fact that this isn’t a modern v vintage thing. In fact, I don’t think of 1980 Topps as vintage. Im pointing out the importance of the rookie card of two top-5 greats versus an insert.

Lost forever? More likely in unopened packs!!

swarmee 02-23-2019 08:06 PM

What percent of the print run of Skybox Precious Metals do you think is still unopened after 22 years? 5%? So 0.5 Jordan greens still in packs?
One of these Jordan PMG greens sold for like $10K back when they were new. People ripped packs with chase cards, and the print run wasn't in the billions like Donruss and Topps baseball from the mid-80s.

pokerplyr80 02-23-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1857686)
Lost forever? More likely in unopened packs!!

I suppose there is a small chance 1 or 2 got tossed with a box of junk era cards. Or burned in a fire. But I wouldn't be surprised if all 10 are either in collections, unopened packs, or sitting in boxes with other 90s cards waiting to be rediscovered.

Jdoggs 02-23-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1857684)
Well, with VintageBreaks cracking packs every week and people with 9s reviewing them annually, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we average a new 10 per year.
Surely the big buyers are tracking which ones exist. I am doing research now and will update:
001 - pulled by a guy who bought a few boxes off eBay in 2015.
003 - claimed to be seen here: http://www.hobbykings.com/forum/view...578&highlight=
006 - PSA Auth bought by Nat Turner for $350,000
008 - This one is claimed to be 008: http://truepowermartialarts.com/just...3%20Green.html

001 article

pictures of 001 and 006

There is another picture of a rainbow (base, red, and green all together) from before 2015. It could be 006, or it could be a different number, or it could theoretically be a fake.
http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/9d9/14898...023_666390.jpg

When is the Mascot Dog Food Mantle going to resurface. If I had $50K in the bank last year, I would have bought that one to hold. Not sending that through PWCC did the owner a disservice, unless by choosing his own family's auctionhouse, he feels it was worth the additional advertising gained.

Edit: Haven't found any more, but will update if/when I hear of them. Sometimes this kind of stuff is treated as trade secrets, because it can influence prices of ones that do come to market. There are reported sales of them back when they first came out, but those may be lost to overzealous moms or ruined by attics.

So it appears 4 of the 10 Jordan greens have been found. If/when the other 6 are discovered, how much do you think this will affect the price of the current 4 discovered?

swarmee 02-24-2019 03:59 AM

It may not affect the price much at all. Market demand is much higher than possible supply. If 3 come to market this year maybe. If they come out every five years, it gives a bunch of new collectors the chance to dream about it, earn their millions, and place a bid next time.

t206fanatic 02-24-2019 08:28 AM

An underdiscussed part of this is there’s a fella out there who bid $349k or whatever for the Jordan and didn’t get it.

I feel terrible for that guy.

Peter_Spaeth 02-24-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206fanatic (Post 1857763)
An underdiscussed part of this is there’s a fella out there who bid $349k or whatever for the Jordan and didn’t get it.

If you want a card you gotta man up.

bnorth 02-24-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206fanatic (Post 1857763)

Please explain how someone didn't get a card, was that the high bid?

I honestly only read this thread for the humor.

pokerplyr80 02-24-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1857766)
Please explain how someone didn't get a card, was that the high bid?

I honestly only read this thread for the humor.

The underbidders never get the card unfortunately. I've been there myself once or twice. Winning bid was just over 350k.

Throttlesteer 02-24-2019 10:43 AM

I hope there's more to that set. Boxes go for well over $2k

Dpeck100 02-24-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

This guy went out and kicked ass in life. On a bell curve he is an outlier and should be proud of his accomplishments.

I don't think anyone can honestly say they wouldn't love to have FU money and be able to sit with their phone in hand and launch a snipe that says I am winning this card bitch.

ejharrington 02-24-2019 02:18 PM

My problem with modern cards, which for me is 1988 forward, is that I like to collect players to completion and that is impossible now since they make so many of them. I love Ichiro and was thinking of collecting his cards until I saw there were over 10000 cards of him. The modern cards are great looking and innovative but I’m glad I collected before they started making so many of them.