Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

Duluth Eskimo 04-13-2020 11:53 AM

That’s a tough pennant Mark

perezfan 04-13-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlevy (Post 1970751)
I haven't found the photo published anywhere, but I did find an article in the Sporting News describing a celebration party in Chicago at the Conrad Hilton on Oct 8, right after the Dodgers won the WS (remember, these were all day games back then). The article says "eight players wives, and the entire Dodger office staff, had been flown in the day before". I can't find any reference to a Dodger party in LA, only a reception at the airport when they flew back. So that Dodger pennant was probably a Chicago version, which may explain its scarcity.

Rick

That's a great point, and a very logical assumption. It certainly does resemble the artwork used for the Go-Go Sox pennants of the exact same time frame. I bet it was indeed the Chicago/Comiskey Park version of the Dodgers Pennant.

baseball tourist 04-13-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1970740)
Chris...

Those are both fairly prevalent. I believe there was a "find" of the 1966 pennant, that was likely unsold stock from that World Series. As a result, many of them are still found in NRMT-MINT condition. The 1965 Twins version is quite a bit rarer than the '66 Orioles.

Thanks Mark!

ooo-ribay 04-13-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1970741)
Here it is... I've only seen this, and one other in the last 30+ years. To say it's rare is an understatement. It was obviously made after the Dodgers won the pennant, and sold during the 1959 World Series. Had to be a very limited production run for this one...

I love that pennant, even if it is...you know who. :cool:

Fballguy 04-13-2020 02:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more...You have to look closely at the Pirates crowd...There are a few in there with the Beat'em Bucs most prominent. And also at the second Jackie Robinson pic to find the haphazard way he stores his pennants. ;)

Fballguy 04-13-2020 03:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few photo pennants and a scroll in that Pirates crowd shot. That Fernando Valenzuela pennant isn't a stunner....but I don't think I've ever seen one come up for sale. Not that I'd buy it..

Domer05 04-13-2020 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was the scene outside Reina's Delicatessen, 95th St. and 4th Ave., Brooklyn, NY on the day Brooklyn won its first and only championship in October of 1955.

Among all the jubilant children, one girl is seen on the floor, crying. Someone called her out by inscribing the notation, "GIANT FAN --> " on the photo beside her (I swear it wasn't me).

Anyway, two cool Dodger pennants by Trench in the window....

thetahat 04-13-2020 06:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
“Bobfreedman” was kind enough to find this picture from the Occidental Hotel, October 1924 dinner to celebrate the Senators’ WS win. Hard to see the pennants on display but these are all the same, and one is also pictured below. Now this was in a Legendary catalog when a fancier version of this pennant fetched a mint (everything same except there was a Walter J. graphic inside the baseball and the laces in the ball ran vertical.

I don't know of any other '24 Senators pennants, does anyone else?

As a side note, does anyone recall the similarity between this and a 1925 Pirates pennant?

Bumpus Jones 04-13-2020 07:59 PM

Very cool Greg!

Duluth Eskimo 04-13-2020 09:03 PM

I don't recall your pennant, but I do remember the other one you describe as well as the Pirates version. All sweet pennants.

Duluth Eskimo 04-13-2020 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We'll shake things up a little with this one. Secretariat pennant, why not

ooo-ribay 04-14-2020 06:15 AM

Thanks for the halter top!

jester 04-15-2020 02:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a way to frame the 3D pennant without squashing the bat. Used 2 pieces of of pexiglass and cut out around the bat.

ooo-ribay 04-15-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 1971281)
Found a way to frame the 3D pennant without squashing the bat. Used 2 pieces of of pexiglass and cut out around the bat.

Well done!

Domer05 04-15-2020 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This pic was taken in a Chicago barber shop, ca. 1910s. I know one or two of you own the pair of sox + cubbies pennants hanging on the end....

MK 04-15-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 1971376)
This pic was taken in a Chicago barber shop, ca. 1910s. I know one or two of you own the pair of sox + cubbies pennants hanging on the end....

What a great picture. I could be wrong, but the 8th pennant from the right looks like it has an elephant on it, possibly the Athletics.

thetahat 04-15-2020 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good day to ask about the limited series of these pennants. They are definitely made by a large pennant company, the style resembles those of a common late 40s style. (Some other teams have the same little flag by the tip.) I know of this Jackie pennant, Doby, Paige, and I may have seen Luke Easter? So I suppose these were made to honor the African-American pioneers of the time.

Does anyone know of any other players? (I know there are other player pennants - Don Newcombe is one example - but I am specifically asking about those that match this style.)

Additionally ... are there any Jackie pennants like this that list him as a second baseman? I think I may have seen one ...

perezfan 04-15-2020 01:27 PM

I think you captured all of the known ones, Greg...

I saw Luke Easter once, and snoozed/lost on it. I do have Paige, Doby and Jackie. I also have Newcombe, but as you said, it is not from this series. I cannot recall ever seeing any others. But it would be great if something else were to surface!

perezfan 04-15-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 1971281)

That is a fantastic precision frame job! Great solution to a challenging pennant.

I racked my brain trying to devise a good solution, but just went the lazy route. The larger size rigid sleeves are just big enough to accommodate Uncle Sam’s Hat and Bat (without crushing anything). The door is metal, so I attached magnets to the 3 reverse corners of the top loader sleeve, in order to hang it.

It worked pretty well but not as aesthetically stunning as yours. Great job!

bocca001 04-15-2020 03:31 PM

Pennants on a shelf

2 Attachment(s)
I've been trying to get pennants out on display and of my closet, but have limited wall space. I decided to buy some 36 inch acrylic book shelves so that I could both store and display pennants at the same time.

I think I got about 18 on the shelf and can easily rotate them to have something different at the front.

It maybe isn't a 100% perfect solution, but I'm happy with it.

Bumpus Jones 04-15-2020 03:40 PM

looks great!

ooo-ribay 04-15-2020 04:11 PM

I like it, Marc! Can’t go wrong with Giants! :D

perezfan 04-15-2020 05:23 PM

Great solution, given the lack of wall space, Marc...

Really nice to have the ability to rotate them, to keep those displays fresh.

Looks terrific!

thetahat 04-15-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 1971447)
I've been trying to get pennants out on display and of my closet, but have limited wall space. I decided to buy some 36 inch acrylic book shelves so that I could both store and display pennants at the same time.

I think I got about 18 on the shelf and can easily rotate them to have something different at the front.

It maybe isn't a 100% perfect solution, but I'm happy with it.

Marc, very cool! Someone had the idea of using pants hangers to hang/display, I may do that with the ones for which I don’t have wall space.

Hankphenom 04-16-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1970903)
“Bobfreedman” was kind enough to find this picture from the Occidental Hotel, October 1924 dinner to celebrate the Senators’ WS win. Hard to see the pennants on display but these are all the same, and one is also pictured below. Now this was in a Legendary catalog when a fancier version of this pennant fetched a mint (everything same except there was a Walter J. graphic inside the baseball and the laces in the ball ran vertical.

I don't know of any other '24 Senators pennants, does anyone else?

As a side note, does anyone recall the similarity between this and a 1925 Pirates pennant?

That photo of the 1924 banquet is in the program for the 1925 banquet, also held at the Occidental Hotel in D.C. The WaJo version in Legendary and the one pictured with the blank baseball (yours?) are the only copies of each I've ever seen. I'm guessing the ones on the wall of the restaurant are the only ones of that style that were produced, and who knows about the origins of the WaJo example? It's hard to believe that if either of them had been sold inside or outside the ballpark at the four games of the series in D.C., only one survivor of each would be known today. Who would have thrown theirs away after the Nationals' glorious victory?

MK 04-16-2020 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are currently on a wall in a closet waiting for me to figure out where I can squeeze them in to be displayed.

ooo-ribay 04-16-2020 09:17 PM

If you haven’t seen the Cuban pennant in the April pickups thread, check it out.

Domer05 04-17-2020 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few more from the 1950s....

1. Walter Alston hired as new manager, November 24, 1953.
2. Ebbets Field sold to real estate developer, 1956 (note the same wind-tattered "BROOKLYN" flag flying outside the facade).
3. Walter O'Malley campaigning for Proposition "B" and new stadium proposal at Chavez Ravine, June 1958 (with pennant topping diagram).
4. Close-up of pennant depicting Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, as seen in the above photo. Another holy grail of sorts....

MK 04-17-2020 01:26 PM

Play Ball

2 Attachment(s)
Were any other teams represented with the “Play Ball” other than the Cubs? This White Sox pennant has the same batter, but no wording.

perezfan 04-17-2020 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1972082)
Were any other teams represented with the “Play Ball” other than the Cubs? This White Sox pennant has the same batter, but no wording.

The Yankees used that image in 1942, and the Cubs utilized a slightly different variation of it as well (with gothic font...)

perezfan 04-17-2020 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 1972077)
Here's a few more from the 1950s....

1. Walter Alston hired as new manager, November 24, 1953.
2. Ebbets Field sold to real estate developer, 1956 (note the same wind-tattered "BROOKLYN" flag flying outside the facade).
3. Walter O'Malley campaigning for Proposition "B" and new stadium proposal at Chavez Ravine, June 1958 (with pennant topping diagram).
4. Close-up of pennant depicting Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, as seen in the above photo. Another holy grail of sorts....

Many thanks for posting that incredible pic of O'Malley...

Great to know it's a first-year LA Dodgers Pennant. Actually, a pre-first year LA pennant!

Great stuff.... below is my example.

MK 04-17-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972083)
The Yankees used that image in 1942, and the Cubs utilized a slightly different variation of it as well (with gothic font...)

I see the Yankees version in Egner’s Guide. How do we know it’s 1942?

MK 04-17-2020 01:57 PM

You answered my question while I was asking. Thanks

perezfan 04-17-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1972093)
I see the Yankees version in Egner’s Guide. How do we know it’s 1942?

Just look towards the tip! :rolleyes:

Domer05 04-17-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972092)
Many thanks for posting that incredible pic of O'Malley...

Great to know it's a first-year LA Dodgers Pennant. Actually, a pre-first year LA pennant!

Great stuff.... below is my example.

Of course you own it :)

Honestly, I've never seen one for sale. On yours, it almost looks like the graphic was multi-colored originally--what do you think?

perezfan 04-17-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 1972101)
Of course you own it :)

Honestly, I've never seen one for sale. On yours, it almost looks like the graphic was multi-colored originally--what do you think?

Yeah, I see what you mean...

I suppose it's possible, but think it was made this way. There is no fading whatsoever to the felt, as it remains a very deep blue. Hard to believe the graphic portions could fade that much, if they were once colored.

It's an interesting pennant... really different from anything else the Dodgers put out.

perezfan 04-17-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1972094)
You answered my question while I was asking. Thanks

Haha... sorry about that, Mike! I could not get the picture to load, and when I finally did, you'd already asked the question.

Would love to see any other examples of teams that used this graphic. It's just a classic image!

ooo-ribay 04-17-2020 08:54 PM

Let’s play a game...

Show a pennant perezfan doesn’t have! :p

Fballguy 04-18-2020 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll go first. #PennantsPerezfanDoesntHave

erikc21 04-18-2020 08:54 AM

Hey, pennant guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1972326)

[emoji1787]

bocca001 04-18-2020 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about one he doesn't have anymore?

MK 04-18-2020 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1972254)
Let’s play a game...

Show a pennant perezfan doesn’t have! :p

I’m gambling he doesn’t have this one.

Fballguy 04-18-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 1972347)
How about one he doesn't have anymore?

Regarding that Oilers...That's one that I don't have. But would love to. ;)

perezfan 04-18-2020 10:44 AM

Correct on both counts, Mike and Marc...

The great Astronaut pennant was in my collection for many years, but finally found its proper home.

And that Cubs Catcher variation is one I've always loved, but never been able to find. It's such a toughie. Great one Mike! I bet you may also have the 1945 Cubs with Batter and Players' Names. I've never had that one either.

Ironically I am in the midst of a big sale/trade, in which I'll likely be parting with some other very rare ones. Tough to do when you're still attached, but very fortunate to have a small source of "stay at home income" during these weird and tough times.

I'll put up a few more on the BST later this weekend. Will include some nice ones at good prices. Please keep an eye out!

MK 04-18-2020 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972364)

The great Astronaut pennant was in my collection for many years, but finally found its proper home.

And that Cubs Catcher variation is one I've always loved, but never been able to find. It's such a toughie. Great one Mike! I bet you may also have the 1945 Cubs with Batter and Players' Names. I've never had that one either.

Ironically I am in the midst of a big sale/trade, in which I'll likely be parting with some other very rare ones. Tough to do when you're still attached, but very fortunate to have a small source of "stay at home income" during these weird and tough times.

I'll put up a few more on the BST later this weekend. Will include some nice ones at good prices. Please keep an eye out!

You’re right Mark I do have that Cub pennant. But there are several I would love to have and look foreword to seeing what you have for sale.

perezfan 04-18-2020 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What a beauty, Mike!

You'll probably disappointed, as I don't think I'm selling any Cubs. They are still struggling with "coming out of the closet" :rolleyes:

doug.goodman 04-18-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1972326)

There are so many jokes that I shall avoid making...

baseball tourist 04-18-2020 12:59 PM

Cuban

2 Attachment(s)
Not in great shape, but I kinda dig that the original owner loved the pennant so much as to repair it. Thanks to Max W. for this add!

MK 04-18-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972399)
What a beauty, Mike!

You'll probably disappointed, as I don't think I'm selling any Cubs. They are still struggling with "coming out of the closet" :rolleyes:

HaHa!

bocca001 04-18-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1972360)
Regarding that Oilers...That's one that I don't have. But would love to. ;)

Ha! I didn't know how rare the Oilers pennant was when I bought it, although the hammer price should have been a clue. I bought it after being the underbidder on about 10 straight NFL pennants (mostly 49ers) and decided that I just wanted to win something.

perezfan 04-18-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 1972414)
Ha! I didn't know how rare the Oilers pennant was when I bought it, although the hammer price should have been a clue. I bought it after being the underbidder on about 10 straight NFL pennants (mostly 49ers) and decided that I just wanted to win something.

This series is beyond rare. That's the only Oilers I've ever seen, and one of very few made for ANY teams. I do have the Steelers (equally scarce) from that series... Rob, if you are interested in that one, just shoot me a text on our ongoing thread. It will take some digging, but I know I have it in nice condition.

Domer05 04-18-2020 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Mark, you ever own this one??

thetahat 04-18-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972364)

Looking forward!!! Let’s liberate some of those oversized beauties!!! :)

perezfan 04-18-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 1972458)
Hey Mark, you ever own this one??

Never even seen one... That's awesome! Gotta be made by Collegiate of Ames... right?

Simply fantastic!

Fballguy 04-18-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 1972414)

Hahaha...been there. In fact, I'm there right now. ;)

Domer05 04-18-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1972512)
Never even seen one... That's awesome! Gotta be made by Collegiate of Ames... right?

Simply fantastic!

You are correct, sir! This was made by Collegiate of Ames in the 1950s, around the time they were making 3-D pennants. In fact, the artwork appears to be from the same artist responsible for the Dodgers and Red Sox 3-Ds.

Collegiate Mfg. Co. was always a very military-friendly company. I can't imagine they made any money on this particular design; but, given the customer, I'm sure it was their privilege to make this one.

They made at least two variants of this design for the Navy: one for San Diego and another for Bainbridge Island, WA.

perezfan 04-18-2020 09:05 PM

Great info...

Same artist for sure... and you're right. They probably sold very few of these. I can't imagine young Military Trainees spending their sparse expendable income on this (cool as it is). That must be one of very few survivors.

jsage 04-21-2020 04:15 PM

1955 Yankee/Dodger Pennant REA Auction

Unless there is something I do not see, this pennant was an excellent buy.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=66515

Jerry Sage

perezfan 04-21-2020 04:23 PM

Completely agree Jerry...

Many people consider that one to be the most desirable and important post-war pennant. It has routinely sold for double that amount, and the consignor must've sunk a lot of dough into that framing job. It did not even have a bid until the final day!

In addition, REA described it as having a clipped tip, but it is 100% original and complete. Every example ever to surface has that same style tip, as it was made that way. Consignor can't be very happy.

jsage 04-21-2020 04:51 PM

Mark -
I took another look at the pennant.
There appears to be a stain or a "faded area" - lighter shade of red.
Bottom left on the Ebbets Field graphic
Take a look and let me know what you think.
Jerry

perezfan 04-21-2020 04:59 PM

Jerry...

I see exactly what you are describing, and truly believe that lighter patch of red is due to reflection of the glass frame. I have photographed these things countless times, and that's the exact type of reflection you just can't seem to avoid when photographing.

REA is pretty meticulous with their descriptions, and did not allude to any fading of the pennant. I am 99.9% positive they would have mentioned it if it was indeed present. Heck, they even disclosed the "clipped tip" which was not even a real condition flaw! Let's call it a blunted Fishtail (as made). :rolleyes:

thetahat 04-21-2020 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1973554)
Jerry...

I see exactly what you are describing, and truly believe that lighter patch of red is due to reflection of the glass frame. I have photographed these things countless times, and that's the exact type of reflection you just can't seem to avoid when photographing.

REA is pretty meticulous with their descriptions, and did not allude to any fading of the pennant. I am 99.9% positive they would have mentioned it if it was indeed present. Heck, they even disclosed the "clipped tip" which was not even a real condition flaw! Let's call it a blunted Fishtail (as made). :rolleyes:

Okay I confess, I won it. And I have one already. (I’d really like to get a blue version.) I knew the tip was fine, it’s just like the one I have (pictured). The exact pennant in the exact same frame went for more than double on Heritage five years ago. Also Hunt sold one awhile back with the same tip. So I’ll hope for an upturn in the pennant market or look for a good trade or something. .... I didn’t want to be a pennant hog but no one was bidding on the darn thing!

(I will add that I’ve seen this without the squared off tips, the blue versions more than red but I’ve seen it red, too. Just production variability, that’s all. I think I may have even seen this completely squared off without the “notch” ... but my memory is vague.)

Domer05 04-21-2020 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Totally agree with you guys: none of these were clipped by the consumer.

This fishtail style was, to my knowledge, only used by Trench in 1955. Fishtails aren't unusual as concerns pennants; but, by the 1950s, they weren't real common.

What makes this pennant so unusual is that the spine is covered in real fringe; and the fishtail end is adorned with a faux-fringe that was screen printed on.

And, apparently, the "fishtailing" was done by hand at the factory in Buffalo. It looks to me like they just had someone cut a simple "V" into the end of the pennant; and, that person wasn't real consistent as to how precisely he/she cut into the end of the felt. Additionally, the screen printer may have gotten too close to the edge of the felt ... leaving the cutter little room to play with.

Since this pennant was thrown together at season's end, there probably wasn't time to redo these.

I've definitely seen some pretty clean, symmetrical versions of the blue variant. But even these two below show you how imperfect the cutting was....

perezfan 04-21-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 1973651)
Totally agree with you guys: none of these were clipped by the consumer.

This fishtail style was, to my knowledge, only used by Trench in 1955. Fishtails aren't unusual as concerns pennants; but, by the 1950s, they weren't real common.

What makes this pennant so unusual is that the spine is covered in real fringe; and the fishtail end is adorned with a faux-fringe that was screen printed on.

And, apparently, the "fishtailing" was done by hand at the factory in Buffalo. It looks to me like they just had someone cut a simple "V" into the end of the pennant; and, that person wasn't real consistent as to how precisely he/she cut into the end of the felt. Additionally, the screen printer may have gotten too close to the edge of the felt ... leaving the cutter little room to play with.

Since this pennant was thrown together at season's end, there probably wasn't time to redo these.

I've definitely seen some pretty clean, symmetrical versions of the blue variant. But even these two below show you how imperfect the cutting was....

Regarding the part above in bold.... Great observation Domer!

And also to Greg's point, a couple have surfaced with no fishtail (in other words, just a very blunt end, with no "V" cutout). This would certainly lend credence to the belief that these were cut by hand at the "factory". There was a definite lack of precision, and they even missed a few altogether!

perezfan 04-21-2020 11:40 PM

Hard to believe that Greg had to save this pennant from getting no bids (as a duplicate, no less). I was tempted to do the same when I saw it was still available for the opening bid amount. But at the time of the initial bid shutdown, I thought I still might win a couple of lots later in the night. So I stayed away, in the fear of spending too much money. Had I known I'd be shutout, I might've done the same thing as Greg!

This pennant used to cause a "bloodbath" of activity. I have noticed a slow downward trend with Brooklyn stuff in particular. Anything Brooklyn Dodgers was almost untouchable a decade ago. This included everything from the Rempel Dolls to Dodgers Pennants to Programs, Ad Signs, Uniforms, etc.

But as the last generation of fans who lived through the Ebbets Field days is now well into retirement (or has passed away), I think we have lost a significant percentage of Brooklyn collectors. Seems that way, at least.

jsage 04-22-2020 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mark -
You are correct about the current lower value of Brooklyn Dodger items.
My 1955 WS Pennant sold in a Lelands Auction for a little over $1,000.
As you can see by the red staining - the condition was not great.
The one in REA was beautiful.

Also note the irregular cutting of the tip.
Jerry

thetahat 04-22-2020 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It used to be that a clean Emmet Kelly pennant would fetch about $300.

rlevy 04-22-2020 04:12 PM

Mark, I can’t really comment on the market for Brooklyn pennants, but I believe you are correct regarding Brooklyn memorabilia in general. Richard Simon (veteran autograph dealer) made the same comment a while ago regarding autographs. While I am an avid Dodger collector, I am marginally too young to relate too much to the Brooklyn team (plus I grew up in LA). I used to collect both LA and Brooklyn because I appreciated the history of the team, but about 5 years ago I quit buying Brooklyn stuff in general and actually sold off a lot of what I already had (other than anything relating to Jackie), mainly figuring the Brooklyn collector base would begin to shrink each year as they aged and quit buying. The connection to Brooklyn is fairly weak here in LA, and a lot of fans aren't even aware that the team moved here from Brooklyn. Certain Brooklyn players like Snider and Hodges still do well because they are also known from their playing days in LA and were popular here, but I think there is a definite softening in prices for players whose careers were strictly in Brooklyn. Incidentally, I believe prices have softened for items relating to early (1958-1970) LA players as well.

Rick

doug.goodman 04-22-2020 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Speaking about Dodgers pennants.

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, to this thread.

I'm going thru my pennants and have come upon these three.

The one with the play at the plate is in Egner's guide, but only as a Los Angeles version.

Neither of the other two are in there either, unless I'm missing them.

Anybody have any knowledge or thoughts? I don't really consider myself a pennant collector, although I do have some pennants.

Thanx,
Doug

Duluth Eskimo 04-22-2020 11:04 PM

Doug,
All three of those pennants are very difficult and would command very good money. Condition is very nice as well. Don’t be afraid to post over here, there’s lots of good info to be had and we all love pennants.

perezfan 04-22-2020 11:22 PM

Agree with Jason... All 3 of those are nice as well as pretty scarce.

The top one is extremely common as an LA Dodgers Pennant, but quite rare as a Brooklyn Pennant. The combination of it being Brooklyn (as opposed to LA), and having color graphics make it lots more valuable than the frequently seen LA version. It features typical AdFlag artistry, but is about 10 times rarer with colored graphics than just the usual plain white.

The "Our Champs" pennant is small (even for a 3/4 size pennant), but the rarity overcomes its rather diminutive size. I sold mine about 10 years ago, and have only seen a couple since then. It's a charming pennant that tells an endearing story... Almost certainly made prior to 1955, the Bums were perennial contenders and came close many times, but could never quite win it all. So while they were not World Champs, they were "Our Champs".

The third pennant is a somewhat rare 3/4 size variation. I've always felt it was an interesting graphic image... a fine representation of early 1950s artwork.

Very nice trio and great post!

doug.goodman 04-22-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1974010)
Doug,
All three of those pennants are very difficult and would command very good money. Condition is very nice as well. Don’t be afraid to post over here, there’s lots of good info to be had and we all love pennants.

Thank you Jason.

Any idea what years they would have been released?

I'm thinking late 50s for the green one, due to sharing artwork with the LA release.

50s, maybe 40s for the other two. I have a second "Our Champs" pennant, which is listed by Egner as 1940s, so I'm go with that.

I need to dig thru my records to see where I got them, and how they were listed. I really need to pay better attention to the stuff I pickup. Hahaha.

doug.goodman 04-23-2020 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1974014)
Agree with Jason... All 3 of those are nice as well as pretty scarce.

Very nice trio and great post!

Thank you Mark for the info, and both of you for the responses.

I'm in the process of sorting thru my stuff (as I'm sure all of us who find ourselves with unplanned vacations are doing).

I have scanned all of my pennants, but since none of them actually fit on my scanner, I am now piecing the scans together for each one. Once I have finished them all I will upload them to my flickr page, and post a link, for those who care.

If I find any others that I have questions about, I will be sure to ask.

Until them, here's another one I like, even though its bigger than all the rest, so a pain to store. I dated it to 1962 based on Feller & Jackie being the most recent inductees included.

Thanks again,
Doug

thetahat 04-23-2020 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1973991)
Speaking about Dodgers pennants.

Long time lurker, infrequent poster, to this thread.

I'm going thru my pennants and have come upon these three.

The one with the play at the plate is in Egner's guide, but only as a Los Angeles version.

Neither of the other two are in there either, unless I'm missing them.

Anybody have any knowledge or thoughts? I don't really consider myself a pennant collector, although I do have some pennants.

Thanx,
Doug

Great pennants Doug. Interesting, I have the top pennant in colors, although mine are a bit faded. The cloud of dust behind the catcher in mine appears to have been a different color ... more gray than gold. Also the threads in your spine are black and mine is white. Very cool!

perezfan 04-23-2020 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1974039)
Great pennants Doug. Interesting, I have the top pennant in colors, although mine are a bit faded. The cloud of dust behind the catcher in mine appears to have been a different color ... more gray than gold. Also the threads in your spine are black and mine is white. Very cool!

That's a nice looking variation, Greg!

I have been going through many of my 1950s - 60s pennants, and cannot believe the number of subtle color variations that exist. Even the somewhat common "Stadium" pennants can have up to 6 or 7 variations when you look closely. So many of the color combinations are actually quite scarce, if you know what to look for.

Maybe some day, more collectors will know to look for (and appreciate) some of these subtle nuances. If collecting pennants was like collecting cards, many of these rarities would sell for really big bucks. Sometimes I wish the collector base for pennants wasn't so thin, and that these things were more appreciated. But I suppose it's nice that we can still collect them for relatively cheap prices, and without such fierce competition.

Below is one such example of an otherwise common White Sox pennant. The Blue example features a white infield, and white hands and face. The red example features a tan infield, tan hands, and beige face. Both are rare with the colored graphics, as the pennant is normally found with graphics that are just white. Not sure who really cares... but for those who do, there are hundreds of other hidden rarities just waiting to be discovered.

ooo-ribay 04-23-2020 03:02 PM

Didn’t you mention an upcoming pennant sale, Mark?

Any Giants? :cool:

perezfan 04-23-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1974191)
Didn’t you mention an upcoming pennant sale, Mark?

Any Giants? :cool:

Sorry Rob...

I sold/traded a bunch in an unexpected private sale, and it took lots of time. I still have quite a few available, some of which I'll try to list on B/S/T later tonight. But any Giants pennants that I would unload are ones I'm pretty sure you already have, or would not excite you much.

But I'll keep digging... thanks!

thetahat 04-23-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1974222)
Sorry Rob...

I sold/traded a bunch in an unexpected private sale, and it took lots of time. I still have quite a few available, some of which I'll try to list on B/S/T later tonight. But any Giants pennants that I would unload are ones I'm pretty sure you already have, or would not excite you much.

But I'll keep digging... thanks!

Mark ... got any old Phillies or A’s pennants to put up for sale?

thetahat 04-23-2020 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1974123)
That's a nice looking variation, Greg!

I have been going through many of my 1950s - 60s pennants, and cannot believe the number of subtle color variations that exist. Even the somewhat common "Stadium" pennants can have up to 6 or 7 variations when you look closely. So many of the color combinations are actually quite scarce, if you know what to look for.

Maybe some day, more collectors will know to look for (and appreciate) some of these subtle nuances. If collecting pennants was like collecting cards, many of these rarities would sell for really big bucks. Sometimes I wish the collector base for pennants wasn't so thin, and that these things were more appreciated. But I suppose it's nice that we can still collect them for relatively cheap prices, and without such fierce competition.

Below is one such example of an otherwise common White Sox pennant. The Blue example features a white infield, and white hands and face. The red example features a tan infield, tan hands, and beige face. Both are rare with the colored graphics, as the pennant is normally found with graphics that are just white. Not sure who really cares... but for those who do, there are hundreds of other hidden rarities just waiting to be discovered.

I think we can now say with confidence that those Sox pennants were made by the same company as my favorite early 50s series (same winged sock logo) and check out the Comiskey Park graphic

perezfan 04-23-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1974264)
I think we can now say with confidence that those Sox pennants were made by the same company as my favorite early 50s series (same winged sock logo) and check out the Comiskey Park graphic

Wow, GREAT observation... I never would have put those together!

(No A's or Phillies, but will re-look at what I should part with.) Stay tuned, Greg...