Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would the Legendary Babe Ruth Still Be a Star if He Played Today? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238750)

wondo 04-24-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1653982)
To answer your other question, yes, I think hand-eye is a gift that hasn't improved.

I wonder if there is some real data on that?

JeremyW 04-24-2017 05:13 PM

John- I'm guessing that there's no research on that. It is what it is. Trout has it, Miggy Cabrera has it, all of the great ones have it. Ruth had it. Ted Wiliams had it.

Snapolit1 04-24-2017 05:27 PM

Funny, I would say anyone who makes it to AAA has amazing, one in a million, hand eye coordination. I've often though what separates the good from the truly great is more a matter of mental disposition and temperament.

wondo 04-24-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1654022)
John- I'm guessing that there's no research on that. It is what it is. Trout has it, Miggy Cabrera has it, all of the great ones have it. Ruth had it.

I agree. I ain't got it. You could get me out with a 55 mph curve. I was watching a special on Connor Mac Gregor and all sort of reaction stats were being quoted. Again I don't deny Ruth was a near god in his time. I just am looking for some empirical argument beside, "today's players are wimps" and "players of old were so much more fundamentally sound". Always fun. I'll keep looking

certainteed52 04-24-2017 05:37 PM

Not with today's media

Throughout his career and post-career Ruth was known for his bombast, overeating, drinking and womanizing today's media would have ate him alive

Tabe 04-24-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1653883)
One thing that's interesting about baseball is that for all the improvements in training methods and all the advances generally in terms of athletes' strength, speed and size, pitchers don't seem to be throwing any harder than they did way back in the day and hitters don't seem to be hitting balls any further. I'm not sure why that is.

Pitchers today throw a LOT harder than in past generations. You've got the occasional outlier - Bob Feller, Nolan Ryan, Dazzy Vance, etc - but overall? Not even close. In the 1920s, there was probably 2-4 guys who threw much above 92. In 2006, the Detroit Tigers alone had something like 10.

Tabe 04-24-2017 05:56 PM

To the point of the article, that is Jane Leavy's forthcoming biography of Ruth, do we really need another? I kinda feel like "The Big Bam" was a pretty good last word on Ruth. I haven't been impressed with either of Leavy's previous books, not sure she's up to the task of the definitive bio of Ruth. Maybe Tim Hornbaker can take it on instead.

steve B 04-24-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 1654038)
Pitchers today throw a LOT harder than in past generations. You've got the occasional outlier - Bob Feller, Nolan Ryan, Dazzy Vance, etc - but overall? Not even close. In the 1920s, there was probably 2-4 guys who threw much above 92. In 2006, the Detroit Tigers alone had something like 10.

And part of a batters power comes from the pitcher. So Maybe Ruth hits a few more HR today than before.

Steve B

steve B 04-24-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1654027)
Funny, I would say anyone who makes it to AAA has amazing, one in a million, hand eye coordination. I've often though what separates the good from the truly great is more a matter of mental disposition and temperament.

That's part of it too, and that drive to be better like coordination is something you either have or don't.

As far as the hand/eye coordination and reaction times go, there was an article in Sports Illustrated a while back about reaction times vs perception. They mainly focused on Pujols, who surprisingly has a very average reaction time. Like almost dead on average compared to random people you can find anywhere. What he does have is a TON more information available. The test was flashing a picture of a pitcher who'd just thrown a ball. for a very brief time. In the time shown, he was able to tell pitch and location as well as other info like who the pitcher was. The average person? The better ones could tell the pitcher wasn't still holding the ball. They had a bunch of examples from other sports including a volleyball player who didn't know the balls trajectory, but identified the player and what game it was in a space of time when most of us would see nothing more than a flash of light. Simply astounding.

Steve B

brianp-beme 04-24-2017 06:40 PM

Would the Legendary Babe Ruth Still Be a Star if He Played Today?

Yes, he would still be a star, but he would have been called George Ruth, not Babe Ruth. 'Babe' is so turn of the 20th century.

Brian