Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Worst player in any Hall of Fame (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239963)

Davino 08-07-2017 05:32 AM

I say Bill Mazeroski, Phil Rizzuto, Rollie Fingers, and Bruce Sutter are not worthy, but the worst player(modern-ish) is:

Hoyt Wilhelm

packs 08-07-2017 07:51 AM

Oh come on, Hoyt was the prototype for the modern relief pitcher. He even led the league in ERA without even making a start as a 29 year old rookie. A 2.52 ERA over 2,200 innings. Goose Gossage's ERA is a half run higher after pitching 400 less innings and he's always talking about how great he was.

bravos4evr 08-07-2017 06:20 PM

Worst in ANY HOF is pretty tough to figure out, but IMO, the worst "big name" player in any HOF is Joe Namath.

115 career approximate value puts him in the neighborhood of guys like Cutler, Phil Sims and Bartkowski.

50.1% career completion percentage is woeful

173 TD's and 220 INT's isn't much better , in fact his TD passes only exceeded interceptions 3 seasons...

He's a pretty league avg type of QB who got in on hype, style and "the guarantee"

bravos4evr 08-07-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1663245)
Yes it is obvious. He belongs in the middle of the Hof class. Never said he was the best QB of his era, he was just better than some contemporaries in the Hof. Nice strawman though.

Namath was also voted the greatest QB in AFL history, over Griese, Dawson and Lamonica. I'll take the word of those yutz who saw them play over some random internet poster who probably didn't.

appeal to authority logical fallacy. The stats tell us who he is, not some proclamation by a self described expert/sportswriter. Namath is not only NOT EVEN CLOSE to a HOF'er. he is BY FAR the worst QB in it.

rats60 08-07-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1688274)
appeal to authority logical fallacy. The stats tell us who he is, not some proclamation by a self described expert/sportswriter. Namath is not only NOT EVEN CLOSE to a HOF'er. he is BY FAR the worst QB in it.

Just because you can't win at fantasy football with Namath, doesn't mean he wasn't a Hofer. I trust experts over someone who doesn't understand the stats he quotes. Completion percentage is a bad stat. From 1965-74, Namath had the lowest sack rate, highest yards per completion and highest net yards per attempt of any quarterback. That was because Namath had a quick release and was able to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack and losing yards. To those that play the game, that is a good thing.

Even when you consider his high number of interceptions with adjusted net yards per attempt, Namath is still 3rd, .05 yards behind Hofer Fran Tarkenton, .01 yards behind Hofer Sonny Jorgensen and ahead of Hofers Len Dawson and Bob Griese.

When you throw in the NFL records he set for yards in a season, only QB to throw for 4k yards under the old rules, and 3 3k passing yards seasons, 2 MVPs as well as his Super Bowl, Namath is a no brainer for the Hof.

bravos4evr 08-08-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1688344)
Just because you can't win at fantasy football with Namath, doesn't mean he wasn't a Hofer. I trust experts over someone who doesn't understand the stats he quotes. Completion percentage is a bad stat. From 1965-74, Namath had the lowest sack rate, highest yards per completion and highest net yards per attempt of any quarterback. That was because Namath had a quick release and was able to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack and losing yards. To those that play the game, that is a good thing.

Even when you consider his high number of interceptions with adjusted net yards per attempt, Namath is still 3rd, .05 yards behind Hofer Fran Tarkenton, .01 yards behind Hofer Sonny Jorgensen and ahead of Hofers Len Dawson and Bob Griese.

When you throw in the NFL records he set for yards in a season, only QB to throw for 4k yards under the old rules, and 3 3k passing yards seasons, 2 MVPs as well as his Super Bowl, Namath is a no brainer for the Hof.

A- modern stats have nothing to do with fantasy football you decrepit old man, just because you live in the past doesn't mean the rest of us have to as well

B- when your appoximate value number is next to Sims and Batkowski you are not a HOF'er now matter how you try and cherry pick

C- completion % is THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT FOR QUARTERBACKS, if you can't hit what you are aiming at, what good are you? 60% is considered acceptable under that and you are becoming a bum

D- Namath is a bum, the most overrated player in the history of the NFL anf unworthy of even a hall of the pretty good.

packs 08-09-2017 07:45 AM

I don't think Namath is a HOFer for the same reason I don't think Reggie Jackson is. When you have more interceptions than touchdowns, or more strike outs than hits, there is something glaring about that kind of stat. It doesn't suggest all time great to me.

clydepepper 08-09-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1688876)
I don't think Namath is a HOFer for the same reason I don't think Reggie Jackson is. When you have more interceptions than touchdowns, or more strike outs than hits, there is something glaring about that kind of stat. It doesn't suggest all time great to me.

Does that mean you don't think Jim Thome is a HOFer?

I do.

packs 08-09-2017 10:13 AM

Touche. Still don't think Reggie is though.

mikemb 08-09-2017 11:07 AM

For any player in any hall of fame, I'm sure there are some or many who think they do not belong, for one reason or another.

I really enjoyed watching Joe Namath play. To me, he made the AFL. He did what he had to do to win. Statistics can be interpreted any way you want by any number of people.

Mike