Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Probstein LOL (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178967)

frankbmd 12-05-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1213992)
I suspect that at some point ebay will get rid of the 'bid retractions' information, as it hinders shilling by their larger accounts.

Scott, you mean that Ebay is not going to pay me a royalty for my suggestion.:eek:

Peter_Spaeth 12-05-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

I suspect that at some point ebay will get rid of the 'bid retractions' information, as it hinders shilling by their larger accounts.

At this point the fact that you can still see it is likely an oversight.

calvindog 12-05-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Hey Scott, whoa whoa whoa! Rick says everyone has auctions with dozens of retractions!

Just like everyone buys a Mathewson ball in REA and then miraculously a few months later it ends up being auctioned by said person with a shill underbid for EXACTLY what he paid for it! Happens all the time!

Runscott 12-05-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1214011)
Hey Scott, whoa whoa whoa! Rick says everyone has auctions with dozens of retractions!

It's hard to argue with the 'everyone else...' logic. Glad to say I've never had to use it.

This is not the greatest lemming cartoon, but it has my name in it.

http://www.sniffandmark.com/wp-conte...ng-cartoon.gif

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 05:03 PM

Oh come on. I gave the board all day to let the comment bump the thread. No suprise it didn't. Everyone has a really loud voice up until now, and then when the email blast from the board goes out, all you heare are crickets about it?

Seems hypocritical to me.

Not one person on here feels that the board shouldn't perpetuate Rick's auctions and drive more business to him, knowing he is 'turning a blind eye' so they can be defrauded by shill bidders?

You guys are laughable. "The silence is deafening."

kevin quinn

slipk1068 12-10-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215775)
Oh come on. I gave the board all day to let the comment bump the thread. No suprise it didn't. Everyone has a really loud voice up until now, and then when the email blast from the board goes out, all you heare are crickets about it?

Not one person on here feels that the board shouldn't perpetuate Rick's auctions and drive more business to him, knowing he is 'turning a blind eye' so they can be defrauded by shill bidders?

You guys are laughable. "The slince is deafening."

kevin quinn

Not a clue what you are talking about...

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 05:15 PM

The email that went out today from the board:
Quote:

**Net54baseball Advertising Supplement**

Probstein123 currently has over 5000 auctions ending this week :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/probstein123...c&LH_Auction=1
================================================== =

Ebay Seller Probstein123 is actively accepting consignments !!

( these rates are for individual auctions )

over $2500 , you get 90% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $1000-$2499 , you get 89% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw 100-$999 , you get 88% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $50-99 , you get 87% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $25-49 , you get 86% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $10-$25 , you get 85% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) below $10 , you get charged $1.00 per auction plus 8% of the final sales price

** Posting priority is given to high dollar items and slabbed items.

for shipping:
Probstein123
PO BOX 1079
Clifton NJ 07014

Our rates are the best in the business, please call me anytime to discuss your collection/consignments...
thanks,

Rick Probstein
973 747 6304
http://stores.ebay.com/probstein123

***To Unsubscribe from all future hobby related emails please type Unsubscribe in the subject title and respond to this email.
kevin quinn

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215775)

You guys are laughable. "The slince is deafening."

kevin quinn

Oh my God...The hits keep on coming....

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 05:26 PM

What the hell is a slince??

vintagetoppsguy 12-10-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1215785)

I don't know, but it is deafening.

bnorth 12-10-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215782)
The email that went out today from the board:

kevin quinn

I personally delete those without ever reading. I do understand what you are saying but Leon has said he thinks Rick does not let it(shilling) happen on purpose and it is his forum and his mass email he is making $ for sending out. I am guessing he is making money for the advertising or at least hope he is.

So who do you think we should be outraged against? Rick for advertising or Leon for sending out the email.

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1215785)

i corrected the typo, for all of you who are fixated on my typographical error.

kevin

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1215792)
I personally delete those without ever reading. I do understand what you are saying but Leon has said he thinks Rick does not let it(shilling) happen on purpose and it is his forum and his mass email he is making $ for sending out. I am guessing he is making money for the advertising or at least hope he is.

So who do you think we should be outraged against? Rick for advertising or Leon for sending out the email.

I'm commenting about how the peanut gallery that is always is on these threads never turn their eyes inward. If they are so focused on the hobby and making sure that no one is getting defrauded, then why hasn't anyone made the comment that I did.

Where are all of the probstien hating activists, making the comment that I made. Clearly it is a double edged sword, the peanut gallery is swinging?

Other business, chose, for the reputation of their own business to not do business with certian people as it brings their own reputation down. Think about any professional sports endorser. Think about all of the other mishaps, with television and other large companies.

Should the board set an example and not perpetuate the problem, knowing their is no activisim in the time of a growing problem?

kevin quinn

Cardboard Junkie 12-10-2013 06:08 PM

I think just about anyone should be allowed to advertise here, except that guy that used to scream, "You're gonna get the Mcgwire Rookie!" on HSN.

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 06:25 PM

Kevin- not really sure where you're coming from....Posts about Probstein have been going on since Godzilla was a lizard. What exactly is your stance, and even more important, your solution?

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1215809)
I think just about anyone should be allowed to advertise here, except that guy that used to scream, "You're gonna get the Mcgwire Rookie!" on HSN.

+1, that idiot wore me out....

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1215809)

So even if Rick allows it to happen, by not proactively finding and fixing the problem, you think the board should allow him to advertise hear to the other members? What if that member doesn't see the posts and gets shill bidded on. You wouldn't say that the board has a moral responsibility to its users and readers?

Kevin

Sean1125 12-10-2013 06:36 PM

Tucking fypos :(

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1215819)
Kevin- not really sure where you're coming from....Posts about Probstein have been going on since Godzilla was a lizard. What exactly is your stance, and even more important, your solution?

My stance has been pretty clear.

1) Not everything the guy does is bad. Not every card is suspect.

2) He should do more about the problem.

3) Conversation about Rick's auctions, going back to Godzilla's infancy is worthless if the board is going to actively keep sending customers to him.

Kevin

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 06:50 PM

Kevin- First of all, I think bid shilling is a big problem in the hobby, and a big percentage of collectors have been guilty of it. But it's not the biggest problem in the hobby, far from it. I have never done it, and I'm proud of that...I have bought tons of T206s over the past several years, and I always had a pretty good idea of where my stopping point is. Nevertheless, it is a bogus act, and should be treated as such. Having said that, I honestly think there are a huge percentage of big auctions that have this going on.... big time, IMO....

Peter_Spaeth 12-10-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1215836)
Kevin- First of all, I think bid shilling is a big problem in the hobby, and a big percentage of collectors have been guilty of it. But it's not the biggest problem in the hobby, far from it. I have never done it, and I'm proud of that...I have bought tons of T206s over the past several years, and I always had a pretty good idea of where my stopping point is. Nevertheless, it is a bogus act, and should be treated as such. Having said that, I honestly think there are a huge percentage of big auctions that have this going on.... big time, IMO....

Concur. It's widespread, but in my opinion there are significantly bigger problems.

RGold 12-10-2013 07:30 PM

Giddy Up :D:D:D

Peter_Spaeth 12-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgold (Post 1215851)
giddy up :d:d:d

lol.

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1215841)
Concur. It's widespread, but in my opinion there are significantly bigger problems.

So now there are bigger problems? What problems are bigger?

You are always on these threads. Do you a believe the board should sell advertising to Rick given he is turning a blind eye or not?

What is your opinion?

Kevin

ullmandds 12-10-2013 07:51 PM

I agree with kevin on this one...shocker!!!:eek:

drmondobueno 12-10-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215821)
So even if Rick allows it to happen, by not proactively finding and fixing the problem, you think the board should allow him to advertise hear to the other members? What if that member doesn't see the posts and gets shill bidded on. You wouldn't say that the board has a moral responsibility to its users and readers?

Kevin

The Board? I get what you are saying about responsibility to the hobby. In fact, I am bidding on a couple of Pastels as we speak and the two parties I am bidding against are stopping me from budding what I would like as I suspect shilling (and it is not a Probstein auction). One bidder has 85% of bids with this seller, the other bidder has multiple retractions. Paranoia is taking over, I am out.

But I digress. The Board? Isn't this Leon's forum? Are you suggesting we make our feelings known to Leon? Doesn't he know? Should we boycott the board?

I will say this. The comments from members on this thread, among others, has made me extremely cautious and sensitive about shills. Maybe too much, in fact. Keep it coming, I'll keep learning and I thank you all for that.

Keith

ullmandds 12-10-2013 07:57 PM

But then again... Eliminating advertisers with a history of shadiness would eliminate A good portion of the advertisers?!

CMIZ5290 12-10-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1215860)
I agree with kevin on this one...shocker!!!:eek:

Thanks Pete....I guess??

ullmandds 12-10-2013 07:59 PM

The other kevin!:D

Peter_Spaeth 12-10-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215858)
So now there are bigger problems? What problems are bigger?

You are always on these threads. Do you a believe the board should sell advertising to Rick given he is turning a blind eye or not?

What is your opinion?

Kevin

Card doctoring, to me, is a far bigger problem. As for ads, personally, I have seen enough from several folks that I would just as soon they not advertise here. But on the other hand that's easy for me to say because it's not my Board or my livelihood, and if it were, I might require more proof, or be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. The most important thing is that Rick's status as an advertiser not affect the level of scrutiny given to his auctions insofar as we have visibility into them (and we have less every day thanks to ebay), and hopefully it won't.

tiger8mush 12-10-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1215828)
My stance has been pretty clear.

1) Not everything the guy does is bad. Not every card is suspect.

Not everything Ted Bundy did was bad either. After all, he did volunteer work and saved a 3 yr old boy from drowning. (No, I'm NOT comparing shilling to murder; simply making a point that doing good doesn't always justify doing bad)

Quote:

2) He should do more about the problem.

We all agree with you there

Quote:

3) Conversation about Rick's auctions, going back to Godzilla's infancy is worthless if the board is going to actively keep sending customers to him.

Kevin

I actually agree with you there. At least until the Panky situation is cleared up I don't agree with advertising P123 either.

RGold 12-10-2013 08:05 PM

Indeed. :D:D:D

ctownboy 12-10-2013 08:15 PM

I received teh e mail from Leon about the Probstein auction. I read it, laughed and then deleted it.

As far as receiving e mails like that about a person who has negative issues surrounding them, I would rather not. However, if Leon feels OK with doing it then there isn't much I can do about it.

Now, if Leon sent out advertising e mails like that and THEN deleted and or banned people from giving negative comments about the person or company that was advertising (like what happens on the CU board that I hear about) then I would have a REAL problem with it.

David S.mith

thehoodedcoder 12-10-2013 08:21 PM

The board is a community and has a governing set of rules and people that enforce the rules. Much like government. If the people who live under the rules are not happy they get voiced, changed or people leave.

Not really any different here on the board. If the number of users fell off because of discontent, then the value of the ad spot would decrease you might see something like that happen.

I'm surprised I was the one that had to do it. I understand its his business and I'm not even suggesting he not sell Rick the ad spot...per say.

I'm merely calling attention to the duality here.

What could easily happen is to say... We will sell you the ad but let's see some of these wonderful ideas get done. Then it's a win for everyone and Rick sees there is business peer level push back. That goes a lot further, than taking care of one issue at a time, after things have already happened and they are pointed out to him. It would start to let him know there are social consequences in the business community for ignoring the issues brought forth.

Makes sense right?

Kevin

glynparson 12-11-2013 04:05 AM

Exactly what Peter said

I agree 100%. With his last post.

Deertick 12-11-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 1215877)
I received teh e mail from Leon about the Probstein auction. I read it, laughed and then deleted it.

As far as receiving e mails like that about a person who has negative issues surrounding them, I would rather not. However, if Leon feels OK with doing it then there isn't much I can do about it.

Now, if Leon sent out advertising e mails like that and THEN deleted and or banned people from giving negative comments about the person or company that was advertising (like what happens on the CU board that I hear about) then I would have a REAL problem with it.

David S.mith

I took the email as a call-to-arms to Peter, that I received by mistake.

ctownboy 12-11-2013 03:50 PM

Oh, you mean like a Bat signal type of thing? :-)

David

slipk1068 12-11-2013 08:20 PM

1) Shilling is illegal/immoral
2) P123 condones shilling
3) P123 (finish this logical sequence)

D@V1D $H1P$EY

thehoodedcoder 12-12-2013 12:10 PM

Still no replies from jeff, john or chris about their feelings on the emails.

They are all over these threads, not sure why they haven't spoken up yet.

Am i leaving anyone else, that is always on these threads off of that list?

Kevin

wonkaticket 12-12-2013 12:39 PM

Kevin, I have never expressed an opinion of Rick or his auctions not once. Not sure why you're asking me to chime in? :confused:

Opinions I have expressed towards you….

I have expressed that I thought you suffered from a fascination with male genitalia, with all of your vulgar comments. Also I laughed at your top secret squirrel hobby behind the scenes efforts that you seem to always hint about. In a "nut" (get it squirrel joke) shell I have come to the overall conclusion that you are a walking pair of clown shoes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...size/photo.png

To answer what I assume to be your question even with the advent of Probstein ad emails from Net54/Leon my opinions of you still stand as above.

Thanks for checking in, now I’ll let you get back to your top secret important hobby saving work.

Cheers,

John

atx840 12-12-2013 12:43 PM

I'm feeling left out, I didn't get the email.

calvindog 12-12-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1216454)

I have expressed that I thought you suffered from a fascination with male genitalia, with all of your vulgar comments. Also I laughed at your top secret squirrel hobby behind the scenes efforts that you seem to always hint about. In a nut shell I have come to the overall conclusion that you are a walking pair of clown shoes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...size/photo.png

I think this represents my position as well.

Edited to add: wait, I also think blah blah blazy blah.

atx840 12-12-2013 12:46 PM

Lolololol

thehoodedcoder 12-12-2013 04:11 PM

The three of you just proved, that yes, I nor anyone else should care about the posts you throw onto these threads. I expected to hear your absolute outrage!

Thanks for confirming that for everyone else.

Kevin

calvindog 12-12-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1216538)
The three of you just proved, that yes, I nor anyone else should care about the posts you throw onto these threads. I expected to hear your absolute outrage!

Thanks for confirming that for everyone else.

Kevin

Putz, first you claimed that simply ranting on these threads was worthless -- that your idiotic, every word misspelled initiatives were more worthwhile. Now you're telling us that ranting is better; probably because sitting at home masturbating all day is not the sort of initiative that actually stops fraud in the hobby.

Here's a clue: no one responds to your requests for information because you're a weird idiot.

wonkaticket 12-12-2013 06:47 PM

Yeah pretty much my thoughts too....

I also have not been in on any of the Probstein threads once again short of to say exactly that....that you Kevin are an absolute holiday fruitcake.

I don’t say this out of anger nor bitterness. I simply claim this fact as a fact its 23 degrees outside on 12/12/13 at 8:47pm and I feel that Kevin is the kind of guy who has to be held back from chasing fire trucks yet doesn’t work with the fire department.