Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Show...me...your print variations! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187722)

irv 08-11-2016 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1570939)

....it's actually tough to find two cards of different players with the same tiger colorations...

...Here's four , then I've got more ...

I agree.

Just looked at a few more of mine and noticed my Rojek also sports the red horseman. I also noticed the elephant on the Joe Tipton card is different than than on the Wright card.

And hardly any blue on the Giants logo of Williams compared to the Thompson card.

My gut tells me I could find a ton more of these but the most consistent cards that I have noticed so far, seem to the Boston Red Sox sock.

bnorth 08-11-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1570982)
I agree.

Just looked at a few more of mine and noticed my Rojek also sports the red horseman. I also noticed the elephant on the Joe Tipton card is different than than on the Wright card.

And hardly any blue on the Giants logo of Williams compared to the Thompson card.

My gut tells me I could find a ton more of these but the most consistent cards that I have noticed so far, seem to the Boston Red Sox sock.

You need to compare cards of the same player. These comparing logos on different players cards are not variations in my opinion.

irv 08-11-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1570989)
You need to compare cards of the same player. These comparing logos on different players cards are not variations in my opinion.

You have a point but I have very few (3?) dupes to compare.

What I have noticed, which makes them variations to me, is that some of these cards, although the players are different, come from the same series.

I could easily understand variations between say a Pafko and a high numbered player, (311 up) from the same team having a variation due to different printing times, but it becomes questionable to me when you see these variations in the same series.

irv 08-11-2016 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found 3 cards very close to one another number wise and noticed 3 different Tiger head colors/patterns.

Bnorth is correct, these aren't variations but rather anomalies, imo.

Due to however these cards were made/produced, the anomalies are quite common, and that is just looking at the cards I own.

ALR-bishop 08-12-2016 06:47 AM

Topps

If there are any really old Topps production guys out there they would probably get a chuckle seeing all the nuances we nut balls in here look for in all these cards :)

irv 08-12-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1571142)
If there are any really old Topps production guys out there they would probably get a chuckle seeing all the nuances we nut balls in here look for in all these cards :)

No doubt! They are likely saying, these preppies, yuppies or citiots have no clue how things were back in the day, and they should just be damn lucky they even have these cards to look at!! :D

savedfrommyspokes 08-15-2016 02:43 PM

1960 Topps 170 Del Crandall

3 Attachment(s)
Found this Del card with the limited, but recurring full and partial smudge on left sleeve.....only 1 of each left on ebay/COMC

ALR-bishop 08-15-2016 05:10 PM

Crandall

Larry-- this is similar to the defect I posted in 621. Are they a defect that faded and disappeared in print process or a correction ? . I think likely the former

savedfrommyspokes 08-15-2016 06:31 PM

Al, the first thought I had when I saw these dark and light variations of this Crandall card were the 71 Northrup card and the 78 Wills....IMO these two cards are examples of attempts (pathetic at best) by Topps to "fix" the print spot/mark. I have heard some indicate that the 71 Northrup smudge has varying degrees of darkness, but I have had numerous copies of either a dark or a light smudge , but none that were varying in shade or in between(just my experience though). The lack of a variance in the degrees of darkness of the spot/mark would indicate to me that someone at Topps tried to fix the defect and was not completely successful.

So, without having seen any other copies of the Crandall with varying degrees of darkness, it would be tough to say if it was a defect that faded or a poor attempt at a correction.

ALR-bishop 08-16-2016 09:53 AM

Northrup

These are my only 3 Northrup versions

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1471276234