Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hobby terms that annoy you (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251766)

SD 03-03-2021 03:24 PM

"Crisp and sharp" used together.

Bcwcardz 03-03-2021 08:01 PM

Gem
Blazer
Sick
Pack fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perezfan 03-03-2021 08:27 PM

I can stomach all of those annoying terms. Sellers like to hype their items by giving them extra attention in an effort to make them stand out from the pack.

But the words "Never Get Cheated" might be the one phrase that I can't stand to see any longer. It is such complete crap, not to mention an outright lie. Especially in regard to the proven altered cards that are sent back to them (for them to self-review).

It's akin to Lance Armstrong giving himself a PED test or Coach's Corner authenticating an autographed Baseball. Their catchphrase should be changed to read........... "If and when you do get cheated, don't come crying to us".

Throttlesteer 03-05-2021 11:23 AM

I also struggle with calling current players' chopped up uniform pieces and bats "relics" or "artifacts". It's not like you dug up the tomb of King Tut or Julius Caesar.

sdimag 03-06-2021 09:45 AM

I can’t stand the “rocket”, “explosion”,and “fire “ emojis! I find it a little childish.

FrankWakefield 03-06-2021 05:46 PM

PSA
SGC
Beckett
Professionally Graded
Investment / Investing
Gem
"as is"
find
"iconic" or "classic" when used on any card from the early 1970s and later.

Mike D. 03-06-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2077055)
I also struggle with calling current players' chopped up uniform pieces and bats "relics" or "artifacts". It's not like you dug up the tomb of King Tut or Julius Caesar.

They do have a better ring to them than the more accurate "vandalized laundry". :D

Bcwcardz 03-06-2021 10:29 PM

I got a new one I’ve been seeing

* meat on the bone

Jcosta19 03-06-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2076247)
I saw the term "Hyper-Rare" used for a few listings yesterday.

I guess I found it more amusing then annoying though.

Was tempted to contact the seller and ask: "I'm really interested in your item, but am concerned about it's behavioral problems. What do you think would be the best way to calm it down?"

:D

This had me literally laughing out loud. Thank you Sir.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4k6 03-07-2021 12:36 AM

FLASH SALE!

When a seller posts a card for 20 times what anyone would pay for it, then discounts it 85%. Still a rip-off.

Exhibitman 03-07-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 2076286)
Adam,

Thanks for a much-needed laugh. Do you mind if I borrow that quip every time somebody tries to get a discount, saying, "I have to get this item authenticated"? How does that mean that YOU expect me to deduct that money from the sale?!

By all means, use it.

One that I hear all the time in my practice (in regard to real estate transactions) that makes my teeth grind: flexibility. As in "does the seller have any flexibility?" Argh!

Bcwcardz 03-08-2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4k6 (Post 2077759)
FLASH SALE!

When a seller posts a card for 20 times what anyone would pay for it, then discounts it 85%. Still a rip-off.

Don’t forget the quick sale! Then they will put “ take it for $xx” . Like they are doing me a favor and letting me “take” it for this price.

Johnny630 03-08-2021 04:38 AM

Card is Clean......can't stand that one.

Collector Grade, AKA to me usually means trashed. lol

irv 03-08-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2076456)
I can stomach all of those annoying terms. Sellers like to hype their items by giving them extra attention in an effort to make them stand out from the pack.

But the words "Never Get Cheated" might be the one phrase that I can't stand to see any longer. It is such complete crap, not to mention an outright lie. Especially in regard to the proven altered cards that are sent back to them (for them to self-review).

It's akin to Lance Armstrong giving himself a PED test or Coach's Corner authenticating an autographed Baseball. Their catchphrase should be changed to read........... "If and when you do get cheated, don't come crying to us".

PSA is such a joke! I've never seen such a bunch of inconsistent graders in all my life.
Just last night I decided to check out the latest PWCC auction and seen so many cards graded all over the place it wasn't even funny. Cards graded 5's that should be 3's and 3's that should be 5's.
Even PWCC writes occasionally in their descriptions that they don't understand the grades.
I don't purchase nor like PWCC but it's pretty bad when likely one of the biggest PSA supporters/sellers of their graded cards also notes this.

Exhibitman 04-23-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1751386)
To me it is easily Diamond cut. They are trying to make a severe flaw sound like a positive. Tilted cocked or miscut on an angle should be used it is a flaw don't try and make it sound like a positive.

Unless you collect them

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...m%20Miscut.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...n%20miscut.jpg

Exhibitman 04-23-2022 06:06 PM

One further new piece of annoyance (thanks eBay for giving sellers new harassment tools) is being bombarded with "seller offered a 4% discount" PMs on every overpriced item I happen to watch. Got three of them today offering 4%, 4% and 6% discounts. Gee, thanks. 4% off 1000% overpriced is still ridiculous.

JustinD 04-23-2022 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the one thing that drives me really nuts and is simply preying on the poorly informed is stating that your 9 OC is the “highest graded example in the world!” And you damn well know it’s not.

I love seeing this and noting there’s 211 7s and 82 8s, so no, you are not even close to the highest…you have a “creatively” graded 7.

That and how confusing the BCCG scale is for newbies, they should have an 11. Because your listed 10 on eBay is worth the plastic case only.

G1911 04-23-2022 07:55 PM

When sellers claim something like "there are only 10 copies in existence" because there are 10 cards in the PSA POP report. There's no regrading and 100% of cards are slabbed. Yep, that sounds right.

Carter08 04-23-2022 08:11 PM

Maybe this has been covered but I think example is a bit odd for a card.

hawaiian bam bam 04-23-2022 09:51 PM

“PSA ready” ya right! If it was PSA ready the seller would of submitted it already. To me that just means it’s a crappy card that the seller didn’t feel is worthy enough to send in to psa themselves!

glynparson 04-24-2022 01:39 AM

Calling the SGC holder a tuxedo.

Mark17 04-24-2022 07:45 AM

The one that makes me cringe is "set break." What do I care if a card I'm interested in was once in a set?

It sounds more like the seller is bragging, as if to say, "I have a complete set and am breaking it up." Well, congratulations to you, I guess.

ullmandds 04-24-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2218213)
The one that makes me cringe is "set break." What do I care if a card I'm interested in was once in a set?

It sounds more like the seller is bragging, as if to say, "I have a complete set and am breaking it up." Well, congratulations to you, I guess.

A hobby "theme" that annoys me is how many seem super excited to get a card in a slab as if it will magically transform a card to a higher level of existence!

I hate when a grouping of unlike cards is referred to as a "set!"

Along the same lines at what point is a grouping of like cards a "partial" set? are 10 t206's a partial set????

I dislike "puffery" in most forms as well.

I can go on and on!!!!!!

trdcrdkid 04-24-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2218213)

I love it/hate it when I see "set break" in an Old Judge listing. Really, you had a complete set of Old Judges and you're now breaking it up? Either that, or the terms "set break" has lost all meaning.

Exhibitman 04-24-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2218229)
at what point is a grouping of like cards a "partial" set?

I figure about 20% is where I feel comfortable labeling it a partial set rather than a lot or group.

cgjackson222 04-24-2022 10:32 AM

One that I see come up a lot in REA descriptions is "honest corner wear".

Perhaps this means something, but to me its just a silly euphemism, and always gives me a chuckle.

carlsonjok 04-24-2022 11:05 AM

I heard one that really grated on me when I was at the Dallas Show in March. I was working through a box of vintage commons and the modern dealer at the next table was talking about breaking a case and he called the case hits "the kabooms." I am not particularly fond of the calling the prime cards "hits" but I accept it since there probably isn't a better, concise term for those cards.

But, to hear a grown man call them "kabooms" was just grating. I can see it being common among pre-teens, what with their less-than-fully developed language skills. But an adult? Yeesh.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...19/304/old.jpg

Yoda 04-24-2022 11:31 AM

"Would be nrmt if not for missing half of card."

Orioles1954 04-24-2022 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2218294)
I heard one that really grated on me when I was at the Dallas Show in March. I was working through a box of vintage commons and the modern dealer at the next table was talking about breaking a case and he called the case hits "the kabooms." I am not particularly fond of the calling the prime cards "hits" but I accept it since there probably isn't a better, concise term for those cards.

But, to hear a grown man call them "kabooms" was just grating. I can see it being common among pre-teens, what with their less-than-fully developed language skills. But an adult? Yeesh.

That’s actually the name of certain insert cards from Panini products.

iwantitiwinit 04-24-2022 04:37 PM

You've been out bid!!!!!

JustinD 04-24-2022 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2218294)

Yep, as was said before that is the actual name of the case hit.

Mark17 04-24-2022 11:50 PM

"Thank you for your patience during this time. Access to the site is restored but we understand that some users may still be experiencing issues. As such, in accordance with our Terms & Conditions, we are extending the auction in order to allow for uninterrupted access."