Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Candiman Auctions Explained (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252144)

cardsnstuff 03-18-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensie (Post 1758491)
Same here

When are cards expected to arrive? are you sending any in?

bensie 03-18-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsnstuff (Post 1758660)
When are cards expected to arrive? are you sending any in?

Should be here tomorrow (Monday). I'm still on the fence about whether I'll submit anything or not. I only won low value cards (highest being a mid grade Reggie Jackson rc).

Bored5000 03-18-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1758531)
Right, for example, if you pay $1000 for a 1952 Topps PSA 3 Mantle at an 'auction' won this month and won ' the card....i would consider that paying light and expecting to get a light package. (getting a brick in the mail or getting nothing is still getting a light package...

A 52T Mantle is a $15-20,000 card in PSA 3. I don't even know mechanicalman at all, but did you really think he was talking about paying five cents on the dollar when he got ripped off on a Ruth card for which he paid $4,500?

What about his post even gave any kind of an indication that he was talking about a price that was so obviously out of whack as to scream scam?

1952boyntoncollector 03-19-2018 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1758808)
A 52T Mantle is a $15-20,000 card in PSA 3. I don't even know mechanicalman at all, but did you really think he was talking about paying five cents on the dollar when he got ripped off on a Ruth card for which he paid $4,500?

What about his post even gave any kind of an indication that he was talking about a price that was so obviously out of whack as to scream scam?

giving an example..plus there are many people people on this thread that did pay cents on the dollars on cards that were later 'ripped' off.....

plus we werent told exactly which ruth card.....so i said in general if you pay light you are going to get a light package... If he wanted to elaborate more what exactly what card was bought and where etc thats fine as well but nothing more was said....what makes you think he didnt get an extremely extremely good deal...you are accusing me to jumping to conclusions while you are also jumping to conclusions as you have no idea what the details of the sale is.....but again i was only talking generally..

but remember if you pay light you are going to get something light in the mail....which is my point of what was bought at the AH

bobbyw8469 03-19-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1758822)
giving an example..plus there are many people people on this thread that did pay cents on the dollars on cards that were later 'ripped' off.....

plus we werent told exactly which ruth card.....so i said in general if you pay light you are going to get a light package... If he wanted to elaborate more what exactly what card was bought and where etc thats fine as well but nothing more was said....what makes you think he didnt get an extremely extremely good deal...you are accusing me to jumping to conclusions while you are also jumping to conclusions as you have no idea what the details of the sale is.....but again i was only talking generally..

but remember if you pay light you are going to get something light in the mail....which is my point of what was bought at the AH

What about someone who paid market price for a 1952 Mantle rookie and got shipped a 1959 Don Mossi PSA 5? That would still be the same hard case to prove with Ebay/PayPal since tracking showed that the seller delivered a package and recieved a package. Like the same thing that happened in my instance. Someone paid for my cards and wanted to return them and shipped back empty slabs. If I hadn't opened them up in front of a postal employee, I would be out the cards AND the money, because Ebay/PayPal would have automatically sided with the buyer because he/she had tracking. No one deserves to be ripped off.

silvor 03-19-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1758824)
What about someone who paid market price for a 1952 Mantle rookie and got shipped a 1959 Don Mossi PSA 5? That would still be the same hard case to prove with Ebay/PayPal since tracking showed that the seller delivered a package and recieved a package. Like the same thing that happened in my instance. Someone paid for my cards and wanted to return them and shipped back empty slabs. If I hadn't opened them up in front of a postal employee, I would be out the cards AND the money, because Ebay/PayPal would have automatically sided with the buyer because he/she had tracking. No one deserves to be ripped off.

I don't know if this would help of not with ebay/paypal, but my kid videotapes him packing and opening when he sells cards.

bnorth 03-19-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvor (Post 1758825)
I don't know if this would help of not with ebay/paypal, but my kid videotapes him packing and opening when he sells cards.

It is probably a good idea. I just can't see how it would help because someone could do anything they wanted to the package before or after they stop videotaping.

bobbyw8469 03-19-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1758829)
It is probably a good idea. I just can't see how it would help because someone could do anything they wanted to the package before or after they stop videotaping.

Agreed...opening mine in front of the postal employee is what saved my ass. After all, he works for the government.

Republicaninmass 03-19-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1756762)
what was the market price for that Ruth..

You know what they say

" if you pay light..the package is going to feel light "

Of all the incoherent posts you've made, this is the most insensitive and inconsiderate I can remember. This a community, and nobody should be so insensitive to another board member. Your follow up post is nothing more than an inadequate attempt to back peddle on your original comment.

You've already had Leon instill a rule about quoting BST prices. Are you proud of that or think you are somehow clever? If you don't plan on adding anything of value to this forum, I suggest you go play in different sandbox with some other children.

mechanicalman 03-19-2018 08:49 AM

Eddie and Ted:

Thank you for being voices of reason. To be honest, I try hard to ignore anything Jake says, and I have a rule not to engage with him. But when he insinuates that anyone, not just me, deserves to be the victim of theft, it doesn't sit well.

Again, even if, in the rare instance someone gets a "deal" on ebay, in no way do they deserve to receive less than what they paid for. I know others have had this happen, but it feels AWFUL when someone steals your money and you have to jump through hoops to get it back.

And for the record, the Ruth was an SGC 5.5, and in January 2015, Jake, that was certainly not a "light" price paid.

pokerplyr80 03-19-2018 10:23 AM

I can see Jake's point in general, but the comment shouldn't have been made in response to Sam's post. It would have been more appropriate in that thread about the guy who sent his bgs 9.5 Jordan RC, worth less than 10k, to Canada to trade for a PSA 9 opc Gretzky worth 30k.

Sam I do agree no one deserves to have their money stolen, but there are people who fall victim to their own stupidity as much as they do to a thief or scammer. I don't have much sympathy for them.

LuckyLarry 03-19-2018 04:27 PM

I'll report on my experience with Candiman Auctions. The first time I heard of the auction was when I read this thread. So of course I had to go take a look at the items:) and found several low-mid grade 1933 Goudey "Indian Gum" (non-sports) cards that I needed. The single cards I was interested in had a $5 opening bid with no bids yet placed. So I entered my max bid $5 on fourteen lots, and ended up winning 13 lots for the opening bid $5. I also bid on lot #231 a group of 19 "Indian Gum" cards, and had the winning bid for awhile $40, but was outbid.
No back scans were provided for any of these cards, and I didn't request any from Candiman. The front scans provided for the auction matched the cards I received exactly. In hand, the backs of the cards are quite nice, although one card described as VG-EX with a light crease had a small spot of paper loss on the back. I would expect worse looking cards for what I paid for these.

So my total was 13 lots won at $5 each $65 add $13 buyers premium and $10 shipping.

I was invoiced on Sunday March 11th, I paid via CC on Monday March 12, got my tracking number from Candiman Friday March 16, and my cards arrived today Monday March 19.

I am happy with my purchase, and glad to add these to my in progress set. These are really nice cards that I got. Without back scans I was expecting worse, of course I was only bidding $5 a card.

Larry Tipton

buymycards 03-19-2018 05:10 PM

Nothing so far

Hi Larry, I am glad that you received your cards. Like you, I received my invoice on Sunday the 11th. I paid with CC on Monday the 12th. So far I haven't received a tracking number. I sent them an email this morning but I haven't received a response.

I won 13 low cost lots, for $152, with a BP of around $30, and shipping of $12.00. The shipping charge isn't bad for 162 raw cards, although they would have easily fit in a Priority padded envelope for around $6.50.

Rick

buymycards 03-20-2018 03:04 AM

Update

I received a response to my email last night at 9:13 with a Fed Ex tracking number showing that my cards were shipped yesterday.

Rick

NYYFan63 03-20-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1759017)
I'll report on my experience with Candiman Auctions. The first time I heard of the auction was when I read this thread. So of course I had to go take a look at the items:) and found several low-mid grade 1933 Goudey "Indian Gum" (non-sports) cards that I needed. The single cards I was interested in had a $5 opening bid with no bids yet placed. So I entered my max bid $5 on fourteen lots, and ended up winning 13 lots for the opening bid $5. I also bid on lot #231 a group of 19 "Indian Gum" cards, and had the winning bid for awhile $40, but was outbid.

No back scans were provided for any of these cards, and I didn't request any from Candiman. The front scans provided for the auction matched the cards I received exactly. In hand, the backs of the cards are quite nice, although one card described as VG-EX with a light crease had a small spot of paper loss on the back. I would expect worse looking cards for what I paid for these.

So my total was 13 lots won at $5 each $65 add $13 buyers premium and $10 shipping.

I was invoiced on Sunday March 11th, I paid via CC on Monday March 12, got my tracking number from Candiman Friday March 16, and my cards arrived today Monday March 19.

I am happy with my purchase, and glad to add these to my in progress set. These are really nice cards that I got. Without back scans I was expecting worse, of course I was only bidding $5 a card.

Larry Tipton

Glad to hear you had a successful win at the Candiman Auctions Larry.

Best of luck to everyone else who won some auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda 03-20-2018 01:28 PM

What a thread. Intrigue, insults, empathy, religious intolerance etc. From someone who walked through the Battlefields/War Eagle mine field auctions several times, I am happy to relate a couple of my experiences. I won and received one card that was photo shopped, a '55 Bowman Eddie Mathews described as nrmt. Well, it had a large blob of paper affixed and quite rightly received a PSA 1. I wanted to return it but no response from Carol. Another: When Leon outed the REA high grade "A" Mantles, which were subsequently offered up at nrmt etc., one was a '55 Bowman. I had purchased earlier the same issue which was subtly different than the REA one. It had been advertised as nrmt. PSA deemed it a vg 3. There must have been a hidden flaw I couldn't discover because it is a fine looking specimen Both these cards are currently in the current LOTG auction. And finally Carol offered up a batch of T206's some time back and went to great lengths in the description to contend they all measured right and would grade. All imperfections were detailed and clearly shown in the scans. I took a chance and won the Elberfield Washington and thank God it came back a PSA 6.5 and did well at auction, so I made some money. That only shows that not all their cards were misrepresented, as others have stated. Perhaps the sons are trying to atone for the sins of their parents and if that is the case, then good on them. The proof in the pudding will be when one of their high profile cards, such as the Red Heart Mantle, goes under the knife at a TPG. I say Candiman at least deserves a chance.

Sophiedog 03-20-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1759295)
What a thread. Intrigue, insults, empathy, religious intolerance etc. From someone who walked through the Battlefields/War Eagle mine field auctions several times, I am happy to relate a couple of my experiences. I won and received one card that was photo shopped, a '55 Bowman Eddie Mathews described as nrmt. Well, it had a large blob of paper affixed and quite rightly received a PSA 1. I wanted to return it but no response from Carol. Another: When Leon outed the REA high grade "A" Mantles, which were subsequently offered up at nrmt etc., one was a '55 Bowman. I had purchased earlier the same issue which was subtly different than the REA one. It had been advertised as nrmt. PSA deemed it a vg 3. There must have been a hidden flaw I couldn't discover because it is a fine looking specimen Both these cards are currently in the current LOTG auction. And finally Carol offered up a batch of T206's some time back and went to great lengths in the description to contend they all measured right and would grade. All imperfections were detailed and clearly shown in the scans. I took a chance and won the Elberfield Washington and thank God it came back a PSA 6.5 and did well at auction, so I made some money. That only shows that not all their cards were misrepresented, as others have stated. Perhaps the sons are trying to atone for the sins of their parents and if that is the case, then good on them. The proof in the pudding will be when one of their high profile cards, such as the Red Heart Mantle, goes under the knife at a TPG. I say Candiman at least deserves a chance.

Great Post. I also think they deserve a chance and hope everyone is happy with their wins.

Peter_Spaeth 03-20-2018 04:15 PM

I see no religious intolerance, John, only an objection to invoking one's faith as a reason to trust them.

Stampsfan 03-20-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759351)
I see no religious intolerance, John, only an objection to invoking one's faith as a reason to trust them.

Well said Peter. Playing the "Religion Card" to "trust me" is a misguided attempt at engaging someone's trust.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-20-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1755125)
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities.

Seems at least mildly intolerant, especially directed at someone who never expressed a religious opinion of any sort.

1952boyntoncollector 03-20-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1758852)
Eddie and Ted:

Thank you for being voices of reason. To be honest, I try hard to ignore anything Jake says, and I have a rule not to engage with him. But when he insinuates that anyone, not just me, deserves to be the victim of theft, it doesn't sit well.

Again, even if, in the rare instance someone gets a "deal" on ebay, in no way do they deserve to receive less than what they paid for. I know others have had this happen, but it feels AWFUL when someone steals your money and you have to jump through hoops to get it back.

And for the record, the Ruth was an SGC 5.5, and in January 2015, Jake, that was certainly not a "light" price paid.

OK so now we know what the exact card is, i agree you didnt pay light for it. Its a shame that information is only shared now, and wasnt shared even after my other posts....only until now.. Still i havent back peddled on anything, if that same card in the same time frame was bought for $500, then i would expect a light package. If you just shared the info sooner that would of been nice because as you know on this forum people forget to include info on the threads sometimes that would support an opposite view.

I am not talking again about the rare deals you can get on ebay....its the guy with 2 feedback where you are paying 500 for a 5000 market price card..or so wierd new auction where 85% of the people are getting 'deals' Its all of those 'deal' seekers that keep the fraudsters active......

1952boyntoncollector 03-20-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1758872)
I can see Jake's point in general, but the comment shouldn't have been made in response to Sam's post. It would have been more appropriate in that thread about the guy who sent his bgs 9.5 Jordan RC, worth less than 10k, to Canada to trade for a PSA 9 opc Gretzky worth 30k.

Sam I do agree no one deserves to have their money stolen, but there are people who fall victim to their own stupidity as much as they do to a thief or scammer. I don't have much sympathy for them.

Yes I was talking generally because Sam or whoever did not share the actual card purchased and the year it was bought. So all i did was talk generally. In addition i abhor the scammer more than the idiot/greedy buyer generally. However everything is relative...

Yoda 03-20-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Peter, I agree that intolerance was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Sarcastic would have been better.

Peter_Spaeth 03-20-2018 08:29 PM

I have the Roy Orbison song stuck in my head from this thread.

(sings)

Go for me
Let me be
All your own candi, candi
Candiman

mantlefan 03-20-2018 09:12 PM

Roy O.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759437)
I have the Roy Orbison song stuck in my head from this thread.

(sings)

Go for me
Let me be
All your own candi, candi
Candiman

LOL, Peter. I can hear you humming all the way down here on Long Island.

Paul S 03-21-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, and is a breach of easily accessible and basic Net54 cardinal sins - unless one is discussing Musial:) - or, received a torpedo in one's hull, in which case...

Paul S 03-21-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1759394)
OK so now we know what the exact card is, i agree you didnt pay light for it. Its a shame that information is only shared now, and wasnt shared even after my other posts....only until now.. Still i havent back peddled on anything, if that same card in the same time frame was bought for $500, then i would expect a light package. If you just shared the info sooner that would of been nice because as you know on this forum people forget to include info on the threads sometimes that would support an opposite view.

Its all of those 'deal' seekers that keep the fraudsters active......

That would be Lance Armstrong - were he with us today.

steve B 03-21-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1759539)
That would be Lance Armstrong - were he with us today.

Ummm...

Peddle = sell
Pedal = what you do on a bike

Paul S 03-21-2018 10:09 AM

I stand corrected...and so does my kickstand.

Peter_Spaeth 03-21-2018 11:01 AM

This is the 10th day since the auction, but (unless I missed it) we have not heard yet from anyone who purchased a relatively high dollar raw card.

ullmandds 03-21-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759564)
This is the 10th day since the auction, but (unless I missed it) we have not heard yet from anyone who purchased a relatively high dollar raw card.

Agreed...but those people are going to have to wait a long long time for PSa to "evaluate" their winnings.

Peter_Spaeth 03-21-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1759570)
Agreed...but those people are going to have to wait a long long time for PSa to "evaluate" their winnings.

Yes of course but many people here presumably are knowledgeable enough to spot a card that was overgraded.

vintagetoppsguy 03-21-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759574)
Yes of course but many people here presumably are knowledgeable enough to spot a card that was overgraded.

Or altered.

pokerplyr80 03-21-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759564)

Ed said he bought the 52 Jackie and would update once he submits to psa.

Peter_Spaeth 03-21-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1759576)
Or altered.

Indeed.

bensie 03-21-2018 12:49 PM

I got a relatively low value Reggie Jackson RC yesterday. The card was just as described; I'm happy with it. It's a <$100 card though, so this probably doesn't help. LOL.

LeftHandedDane 03-22-2018 10:54 AM

I just received my package from the auction today. I purchased 3 cards that fell into the $250-$350 range (each). One of the cards was represented by Candiman as "Authentic"; the others were not (one was described as EX-MT+; the other as NM).

The Authentic card has definitely been trimmed and probably soaked. I knew that prior to bidding and factored that into my bid and therefore do not feel at all misled by the auctioneer.

Knowing the track record of Battlefield, my biggest concern with the two other cards was that the cards I would receive would not match what was pictured in the auction. So the first thing I did was hold the actual card up next to the picture for comparison. Other than brightening the image, I could not see any signs of alterations that had been made. For example, there is a small stain in the border on the front of one card which appears clearly in the photo as well. Similarly, there are small stains on the back of the same card which appear in the photo.

I am a raw card collector so I do not plan to submit any of these cards for grading. I do think I am pretty good at assigning grades, and I do not feel that the cards were overgraded - at least no more than a half grade. I do not think these cards have been altered - they measure out OK and I can detect no other signs but I am not an expert at detecting everything.

One other comment on this auction worth noting - there was absolutely no evidence of any shill bidding. Probably because so many buyers shied away from this one, but it was refreshing for me to feel like the bids were on the level.

My conclusion is that my experience with this auction was positive, and I would certainly bid in future auctions should they have items of interest to me.

ullmandds 03-22-2018 11:01 AM

Cardiman Auctions...the auction house house for "true collectors" who don't care about having their cards graded.

They have a niche!

frankbmd 03-22-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1759905)
Cardiman Auctions...the auction house house for "true collectors" who don't care about having their cards graded.

They have a niche!

Cardiman Auctions

The auction house house for “true collectors” who cannot spell or proofread

Hi Pete

I would also note that even my spellchecker changed cardiman to candiman.:eek::D

ullmandds 03-22-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1759906)
Cardiman Auctions

The auction house house for “true collectors” who cannot spell or proofread

Hi Pete

I would also note that even my spellchecker changed cardiman to candiman.:eek::D

ya...that was a conscious error, Frank. I think Cardiman sounds better...or maybe Cartman!

ullmandds 03-22-2018 11:33 AM

or cardamum!

Peter_Spaeth 03-22-2018 11:35 AM

Cardashian?

frankbmd 03-22-2018 11:40 AM

Show me the Card Fax in all candiman auctions.

ullmandds 03-22-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1759928)
Cardashian?

you'd probably get sued!

REDSOX42 03-22-2018 12:55 PM

I just received my cards. I won 30+ 1940's Bowman, 1950's Topps Red Sox cards. I looked the cards over in detail and found all to be accurately graded. No problems, no issues, no surprises. The '50 Bowman Ted Williams (EX) and the '60 Topps Yaz rookie (NM) were a pleasant surprise and graded correctly.
I also won 2 Wheaties panels, Joe D. and Gabby Hartnett. Both were graded as described. All items were packed very well/professionally.

From my perspective (on this auction) I thought Daniel did a good job. I spoke with him a number of times and found him to be open to my concerns and honest in our discussions.

Look forward to hearing from others...

buymycards 03-22-2018 01:53 PM

Winnings

I received my package today. It was securely packaged and it had the correct contents. None of these cards included back scans, so I was a little worried. The backs were all fine except for 2 1970 Topps BB commons that had writing. The other 160+ cards were better overall than the described grades for the lots.

I am pleased with the items that I won, although I didn't bid on any high dollar cards or on any cards that were described as authentic.

Rick

NYYFan63 03-22-2018 02:29 PM

Thanks to all who are sharing their experiences with Candiman Auctions. I am glad to hear those who won their auctions are satisfied with the cards they received.

I did not participate as I am focused on completing a 1972 Topps BB set which I am a few cards from completing.

With that said, I will look to participate in future Candiman auctions.

Kudos to those who gave them a chance.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipk1068 03-22-2018 04:06 PM

Look out, look out the Candyman, Here he comes and he's gone again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbHdlplEvw

Republicaninmass 03-22-2018 04:42 PM

Please post TPG results when they come back

bigfish 03-22-2018 05:14 PM

The candiman can...

I am with Ted. Looking forward to seeing those near mint cards in holders.

Until then I am not convinced these two jokers are totally out to make their business great again....

Toby Petersen