Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Oh how I hate these things,, (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168341)

RichardSimon 05-08-2013 08:54 AM

Oh how I hate these things,,

1 Attachment(s)
I am a Teddy Roosevelt collector, among other things, and recently did an ebay search for Roosevelt items, and found this item offered at the insane price of $8000. It is not even a 1/1.
The owner has had this for two years (maybe more), and he has turned down 26 offers. Yes 26, not a typo.
In his ad he states: "is not cut from an ugly check. This is a nice, full signature." and yet it is signed T. Roosevelt. DUH, THAT IS NOT A FULL SIGNATURE.
For $8000 you can buy a number of fine Roosevelt items including several signed letters, signed photos and signed Presidential documents. You can mat and frame those items and have a wall full of Theodore Roosevelt items in your home.
I have discussed my views before on these pieces but this one just made me want to post it here and vent a little.
I know it is America and anyone can try to sell something for whatever they want (no need to jump on me about that) but this one is a bit much.

prewarsports 05-08-2013 09:27 AM

Agree 100%

At least they managed to get the WHOLE autograph in that card. The rarest one though is the "eodore Rooseve" thats the truly rare version:)

Mr. Zipper 05-08-2013 09:29 AM

I don't get it. We see the insane crack pipe pricing on these things all the time... do they ever actually sell at anything near the asking price?

shelly 05-08-2013 09:59 AM

Richard, remember the Grand Daddy of them all. $85,000 four signitures two of them forgery's. When will people stop being hustled.:mad:

bn2cardz 05-08-2013 10:19 AM

I had a Truman from the same set, it wasn't very clean (I don't know if I have photos). It was "limited" to 47.
I did a low bid starting auction at 99cents. I had researched other Truman autos and would have been happy with $150-$200, the auction ended at $610. I couldn't believe that this cut could bring 3x my high expectation.

whyconform 05-08-2013 10:55 AM

Here's a ton 'Auction Style'

I'm watching em all to see how high they go...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/shark237/m.h...p2047675.l2562

(filter to his 26 autos listed) all presidents

RichardSimon 05-08-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1128140)
I had a Truman from the same set, it wasn't very clean (I don't know if I have photos). It was "limited" to 47.
I did a low bid starting auction at 99cents. I had researched other Truman autos and would have been happy with $150-$200, the auction ended at $610. I couldn't believe that this cut could bring 3x my high expectation.

It has been proven many times that stupidity is contagious :D:D, :confused::confused:

mighty bombjack 05-08-2013 12:42 PM

I have often wondered if people put pieces like this up on eBay as a way of merely showing off their collection. I'm sure the owner would love to move it for his asking price, but it's possible that he fields offers just to see what the market is (no real intention of selling) and enjoys digitally displaying his piece to a wide audience.

Either that, or he is full of some serious wishful thinking.

bn2cardz 05-08-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty bombjack (Post 1128196)
I have often wondered if people put pieces like this up on eBay as a way of merely showing off their collection. I'm sure the owner would love to move it for his asking price, but it's possible that he fields offers just to see what the market is (no real intention of selling) and enjoys digitally displaying his piece to a wide audience.

I can't say I haven't been guilty of that before. I put items out just to see what offers I would get even though I didn't think I would sell it for what other's thought was a "reasonable" price. It once got me in touch with another collector and, though, I passed on their offer we talked and they were cordial about it. Later when I decided to sell the item I contacted them back and sold it at their offer price even though their offer wasn't better than some others, but it was their attitude and I knew they just wanted it for a collection not to flip. Even when I had done it I didn't leave it out there longer than a month or two. Now I would just rather put it out on Photobucket (though I may start using CardTarget's inventory option).

Exhibitman 05-09-2013 10:35 AM

Actually, as cut autograph cards go, that is one of the better-looking sets I've seen. Some of the sets look like they were slapped together by 2nd graders in their summer camp art classes.

When I see someone listing an item that is not unique far in excess of realistic asking price and he/she is not a professional dealer I assume that it is a ruse to dodge sales tax by treating the item as inventory.