Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Investment Opportunities ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132223)

TUM301 01-18-2011 12:43 PM

Investment Opportunities ?

For the last 25+ years have had the usual IRA, Pension, savings route going. But lately have been wondering if it`s time to start putting 5 to 10% of my monthly savings into a commodity. I know this board is full of very knowledgeable people and would like anyone`s input or impressions on getting into buying silver today and going forward. Thanks for your thoughts.

Leon 01-18-2011 01:40 PM

rollover IRA

I am far, far from an investment counselor but from what I have been reading everywhere it looks like the growth in the next few years will be internationally (unfortunately). I am considering putting part of my larger rollover IRA into some international index funds, since it is almost back to when it got clobbered 3 or so years ago. As I approach 50 this year it might be time to put a small portion into something very conservative too....I doubt this helps much but it is something I have been thinking of doing. I would hate for their to be another stock meltdown in the US arena with me still too heavily weighted in it.

Tsaiko 01-18-2011 02:15 PM

My opinion, right now, is that silver is a gamble, so if you want to gamble 5 -10%, go for it.

I bought silver bars in the late 80's, but after 20 years I'm thinking seriously about dumping them. It's been a long, long haul of languid performance and finally some rewards, on paper at least.

On the upside, sliver is being used more for more products than ever and the Chinese are now allowed to buy the commodity, where they weren't before.
On the downside, speculators may turn on the metals in favor of stocks if the economy continues to rebound.

My thought process in the late 80's was that after it's fall from $50 an ounce, buying at an average of $5 an ounce was a no brainier, since it could only go up from there, right? Well, it didn't go anywhere for a very long time, but started to make some gains a couple of years ago, but would always retreat when it hit the $18 range.

The last 6 months have been fantastic, with silver almost doubling, but whether this means a continuous upswing or a pull back is anybodys guess and you'll find proponents on both sides.

All I can say is do your homework and do what you think is right.

If you've been investing for 25 years, you're probably in your 40's. If so, you've got maybe 20 years before retirement. If that's the case, then a little silver in your portfolio probably won't hurt you, but I wonder which would offer a better investment return percentage in 20 years, a bar of silver or a T206 Ty Cobb?

shimozukawa 01-18-2011 05:29 PM

ChiefBenderForever 01-18-2011 05:29 PM

You can never beat a hot stock, I'm will forever kick myself for not buying 5000 shares of ford a couple years ago when my friend and his dad loaded up and kept telling me buy buy buy buy buy, I could've easily bought 5000 for just over 5k that would now be worth over 90k. My friend still has his and turned 10k into almost 200k. It's always could've, would've, should've but still makes me sick !

shimozukawa 01-18-2011 05:55 PM

Doug 01-18-2011 07:09 PM

I take Dave Ramsey's investing approach and go with growth stock mutual funds with solid track records. I spread 25% of my investment evenly across Growth, Aggressive Growth, Overseas and Growth/Income funds. For my Aggressive Growth Fund I went with an emerging market fund so it gives me a 50/50 domestic/overseas balance for diversification purposes.