Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A Tale of Two Scans...does this justify a return? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253683)

Bliggity 04-10-2018 08:33 PM

A Tale of Two Scans...does this justify a return?

I know scans can be tricky sometimes, but this is incredibly frustrating. I won this '53 Bowman Mantle from Goodwin last week. The Goodwin scan is on the left. The color and contrast are beautiful, definitely a card that should command a premium. I paid healthily above VCP for it; in fact, it's the most I've ever paid for a card before. The card arrives yesterday. The scan on the right is a factory-setting scan on my Epson V550, which very accurately shows what the card looks like. The vibrancy is gone. Colors are flat, card looks washed-out. Still not a bad card, but not one that deserved the bid I made, and not one that will make me happy whenever I look at it. There's no way the card on the right becomes the card on the left without some heavy-handed tinkering with the contrast & color of the scan.

At what point does this justify a return? I've debated returning a few cards over the years due to misleading scans, but always decided I liked the card enough to keep it. This time, I may have reached my limit. What do you guys think - would I be justified in asking for a return?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/878/4...2f258e2c_b.jpg

vintagetoppsguy 04-10-2018 09:00 PM

To answer the question, I think you would be justified in asking for a return. The scan was obviously enhanced.
That said, I think maybe your expectations aren't realistic. A Mantle with colors like that (the one on the left) just doesn't exist. All '53 Bowman Mantles I've ever seen look more like the one on the right (from your Epson V550). To me, the one on the right looks just fine.

CW 04-10-2018 09:01 PM

First off, the centering on that card is incredible. I think that played a big role in the price you paid. Looking back through some of past auctions on PSA's new site, centered examples routinely sell in the high $700's for PSA 4 cards, so I don't think you overpaid too much.

I am not sure a return would be worth the hassle at this point, but I wouldn't blame you for trying. Goodwin has long been known to have scans with fairly high contrast. My guess is they do this so the print catalog "pops" and it obviously does not hurt results.

One option would be to hold onto it for awhile and then consign it to PWCC or another larger eBay seller. You will not lose much, if anything, and you could chalk it up to a lesson learned. You could also list it on the BST for the price you paid. It is not easy to find that card so perfectly centered, so that's a plus.

Good luck and don't let it take too much wind out of your collecting sails -- I know it sucks when a hobby that's supposed to be fun ends up being frustrating instead.

Peter_Spaeth 04-10-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1766346)
To answer the question, I think you would be justified in asking for a return. The scan was obviously enhanced.
That said, I think maybe your expectations aren't realistic. A Mantle with colors like that (the one on the left) just doesn't exist. All '53 Bowman Mantles I've ever seen look more like the one on the right (from your Epson V550). To me, the one on the right looks just fine.

Agreed. These days, IMO half or more of the scans on ebay and in auctions are superbright. I'm surprised when I see one that looks normal, honestly.

gopherfan 04-11-2018 08:10 AM

I don't like when sellers do this. I don't buy cards that are that old, or that expensive, but I can't stand when I get a card that looks amazing online, and I get a dull, drab card in the mail. Very frustrating.

packs 04-11-2018 08:15 AM

If a seller manipulates an image I think that's definitely an issue. I'm not sure in this case it's worth the hassle to return though. If you contact them with the issue they'll probably offer you something to make it right.

gopherfan 04-11-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1766404)
If a seller manipulates an image I think that's definitely an issue. I'm not sure in this case it's worth the hassle to return though. If you contact them with the issue they'll probably offer you something to make it right.

I've tried this, and the seller told me, "I guarantee you got the card pictured in the scan."

I already knew that, but the scan was in no way representative of the card I received.

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2018 08:56 AM

For a graded card, the flip usually will reveal whether the scan is overbright or not. If it's glowing red, or a bright green, then it's a safe bet the card is off too.

packs 04-11-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopherfan (Post 1766405)
I've tried this, and the seller told me, "I guarantee you got the card pictured in the scan."

I already knew that, but the scan was in no way representative of the card I received.

This is an auction house though. Whenever I've had an issue with a lot I've won I've usually been offered some credit towards a future auction.

Hxcmilkshake 04-11-2018 09:36 AM

Thats a GREAT 53 . Keep and treasure it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk