Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Women in the hobby (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=129783)

RobertGT 11-14-2010 09:23 AM

Women in the hobby

Just got to thinking the other day about the role of women in the hobby, specifically whether anyone has evidence - anecdotally or otherwise - of whether more women are collecting/buying/selling, etc. now as opposed to years ago. I ship to a fair number of female names through paypal, but I suspect the account is just registered to them, and the guys are the ones buying the cards.

My girlfriend is generally pretty supportive of the time I devote to this obsession, but is clueless when it comes to discussing anything baseball-card related. Sometimes I try to explain all the fun intricacies of the hobby, but alas, it is usually a lost cause.

Also, any women on this board who would like to share their thoughts/experiences?

Rob

Jim VB 11-14-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertGT (Post 848377)
Also, any women on this board who would like to share their thoughts/experiences?

Rob

She's travelling today, on the way to Atlanta.

vintagecpa 11-14-2010 10:02 AM

My significant other was lukewarm with my 1950's and 60's collection, and extremely lukewarm with many of my vintage pieces. I guess if you don't like baseball, it is hard to fully appreciate a Ruth or Cobb vs a 1984 Strawberry. I have run into very few female collectors in my days. I'm going to try and get my son and daughter interested someday. I suspect many wives and girlfriends act like they don't like cards, but have some appreciation for nice cards.

ChiefBenderForever 11-14-2010 10:15 AM

If they can't wear it or spend it they seem to have little interest and that's fine with me.

bbcard1 11-14-2010 11:31 AM

I don't go to bars, I don't run around, I don't play golf or softball non-stop. My lovely wife is just fine with my ball card collecting.

pclpads 11-14-2010 11:54 AM

Lack of female interest / participation is probably a gender-related issue. Like most guys aren't into needlepoint . . . I don't think. The many times I went to the Labor Day shows in San Fran., she was cool hitting the stores in Union Square.

quinnsryche 11-14-2010 12:17 PM

I have been around the collecting/selling biz around 35 years now and have never come across a single female collector. Not to say there isn't any (I believe there is a regular female contributor to this board), I just have never met one. Now, I have come across quite a few knowlegable women in the hobby but they are usually sitting at a table at a show with their husband. My mom has been around the card business her entire adult life through working with and for my father(at least 45 years now) and she knows absolutely nothing about sports memorabilia. I don't know why women aren't collectors, most seem uninterested or confused by it.

Section103 11-14-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 848398)
Lack of female interest / participation is probably a gender-related issue. Like most guys aren't into needlepoint . . . I don't think. The many times I went to the Labor Day shows in San Fran., she was cool hitting the stores in Union Square.

Bingo.

My wife has been a quilter / knitter for years (decades). Go to the National Quilt show and you'll see the inverse of the National. Tons of women, a few men, virtually all of the men are straggling behind their wives somewhat zombie-like. That said, I've also made a quilt once in my life. Never do it again, but Ive crossed barriers.

Fred 11-14-2010 02:23 PM

My wife doesn't mind me collecting cards. She's actually turned into a pretty conservative grader. The day she starts collecting is the day I probably quit because I'm not going to have a bidding war over some card that we both like.

There are a few women that collect baseball cards. One that I remember is Vivian Barning. She and her husband Frank were (probably still are) avid collectors and hobbyist.

There was Julie Vognar but I think she sold off her collection a few years back. It was a nice collection.

Rich Klein 11-14-2010 02:35 PM

Joann is the person

We are referring to

There have always been female collectors -- but they are few and far between in proportion to male collectors. Back when I was at Beckett, the highest percentage of women collectors were hockey collectors.

Regards
Rich

BlueDevil89 11-14-2010 02:56 PM

I remember Renata Galasso coming up in the 1970s and being a force in the hobby in the 1980s.

Pup6913 11-14-2010 05:50 PM

met a few at the national this yr for what its worth

WWGjohn 11-14-2010 07:03 PM

Female collectors

We have a couple in OBC, one active and one inactive, who have been in the group for a number of years and are enthusiastic vintage collectors

John

batsballsbases 11-14-2010 09:38 PM

Women in the hobby

If any of you out there(and I know there are many) Have the book Smithsonian Baseball One woman that comes to mind for me is Penny Marshall. Pennys collection is a very bizarre mix of some of the sports strangest relics! But as we all know one persons strange is anothers gold!:eek::eek:

tedzan 11-15-2010 02:53 PM

Here are 4 of the gals that come to my mind, who are serious BB card collectors......

Joann Kline

Betty........who used to chime in on Net54, particularly on our T206 threads.

Kim Vida....a young gal from NJ (and close friend) that was a collector/dealer/show promoter
that ran BB card shows with guests Bobby Thomson and Gerry Dvorak (1953 Topps artist).

Vivian Barning....most of you are quite well aware of her amazing vintage BB card collection.

TED Z

E93 11-15-2010 03:45 PM

Penny Marshall (Laverne of Laverne and Shirley fame) apparently has an impressive basketball collection.

I wonder if a stream of sexist comments like those on this thread turn off many potential women who would be interested.
JimB

Rob D. 11-15-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 848623)
I wonder if a stream of sexist comments like those on this thread turn off many potential women who would be interested.
JimB

I doubt if any of the gals mind.

Jim VB 11-15-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 848624)
I doubt if any of the gals mind.

Gals? Didn't you mean "babes?"

Fortunately, except for Joann, who has pretty thick skin, not too many females will read these idiotic comments. However, even if the comments don't do the trick, the general mindset is evident.

White Borders 11-15-2010 04:31 PM

Judy Burk (Collectible Classics Auctions) is one of the nicest persons you could ever deal with.

Felicia L. had an awesome PSA graded collection ... but last I heard she was divesting of part of it to go into some other investments.

canjond 11-15-2010 04:48 PM

What about Julie Vognar? I know she sold off quite a bit, but had a great collection and used to be active on this board.

ethicsprof 11-15-2010 05:55 PM

jon

I remember Julie well.
Bright and articulate with a love for aesthetics.
I think she left and joined Jay Behrens board many years back.

best,
barry

E93 11-15-2010 06:03 PM

Julie sold her entire collection through REA a few years back. She was very knowledgeable and a good contributor here. I believe she is more or less out of the hobby now.
JimB

Rich Klein 11-15-2010 06:21 PM

My dear friend Audre Gold

Who is no longer with us, was actually the driving force in AU Sports in Chicago. She was the BOSS of that store, no doubt about that

Rich