Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   eBay question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264166)

quitcrab 01-05-2019 12:33 PM

eBay question

How do I take down an auction? A interested buyer wants me to end an auction and purchase the item. Can I revise or edit the auction with a " buy it now "? Thanks

swarmee 01-05-2019 01:00 PM

Yes, you can revise it to be a Buy-It-Now from your seller's dashboard.

Edit: does it already have bids? Maybe you should let it ride. Many people try to get sellers to end early in order to reduce the overall price.

quitcrab 01-05-2019 01:41 PM

Question solved... Thanks

SMPEP 01-05-2019 01:59 PM

Bad idea to end it early. That's almost never in the seller's interest (although it is in the buyer's interest).

Jim65 01-07-2019 06:07 AM

Be careful about ending auction early especially if someone messaged you about the item. Red flag to Ebay and they could suspend your account

hcv123 01-07-2019 12:06 PM

different advice

My policy:

If I am very educated on a particular item, I have no problem ending early for the "right price". If I am less or unfamiliar - I let it finish - have had both upside (mostly) and downside surprises.

steve B 01-07-2019 12:24 PM

When I was selling, I only had maybe 5-6 offers to end an auction early. I don't do that. All those items ended up selling for more than the offer. Most for about 5x the offer.

Plus, at the time ebay had language that posting an auction was a contractual agreement to sell the item for the high bid unless there was a reserve.

It wastes peoples time looking at auctions and putting them in watching/ setting bids etc.
So thinks for being "that guy" if there was a blocked seller list you'd be on it.

mckinneyj 01-07-2019 01:24 PM

fwiw... if one clicks on "contact seller" on the page of an ebay auction you will be presented with a "select a topic" pick list that includes a "make an offer" selection. If you select it and the item does not already have a "make offer" option you will be informed that "The seller hasn't enabled offers for this item. See if they'll consider — send a message with your best price." So, ebay is not discouraging making offers (though they will expect the seller to consummate any sale via ebay - they'll also likely not permit any exchange of email addresses via their messaging unless well obfuscated).

jchcollins 01-08-2019 02:59 PM

If you do your eBay listings as BIN's instead of auctions, you can end them anytime no problem. It's when you are running an auction that has already received bids that they get antsy if you start ending too many things early. In the fine print I believe, I think they say you are supposed to acknowledge that after listing something you will sell it per ebay policy, which means no negotiating behind their backs. I'm not really sure as I rarely do straight up auctions anymore. Back in the day though that is all eBay did (everything was an auction) and so the rules got kinda strict.

CobbSpikedMe 01-08-2019 06:02 PM

I've never asked a seller to end an auction early, but have made offers. I tell the seller that if the item doesn't sell (because I think it's listed too high to begin with) then I'll pay $X amount and will click a Buy It Now if they relist with my price as the BIN. It's worked a few times in the past. I don't believe in ending an auction early if there are bids already placed.

jchcollins 01-09-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1843736)
I've never asked a seller to end an auction early, but have made offers. I tell the seller that if the item doesn't sell (because I think it's listed too high to begin with) then I'll pay $X amount and will click a Buy It Now if they relist with my price as the BIN. It's worked a few times in the past. I don't believe in ending an auction early if there are bids already placed.

I've done this too. A little communication can go a long way. I've asked someone to change their BIN on the fly, and then I will immediately click it. Win-win.

Jim65 01-09-2019 07:44 AM

I received a message once about ending an auction early.

Buyer: I really want this. Whats your absolute rock bottom price?

Me: Rock bottom $50

Buyer: Would you take $25?

I didn't even bother responding.

jchcollins 01-09-2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1843855)
I received a message once about ending an auction early.

Buyer: I really want this. Whats your absolute rock bottom price?

Me: Rock bottom $50

Buyer: Would you take $25?

I didn't even bother responding.

Agreed that's ridiculous. Part of the problem of nuance when not negotiating face-to-face though - it's hard to tell if you think someone is serious about "rock bottom." That's where you have to take people at their word, but sadly many do not.

I don't mind lowballing people occasionally if it's still a lot of money, you never know what the situation is, but it's usually telling in the negotiations even with BIN. For example: Card is listed at $400. I offer $250. Seller responds $395. Yep...that should be pretty telling to you as the buyer.

Jim65 01-09-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1843866)
Agreed that's ridiculous. Part of the problem of nuance when not negotiating face-to-face though - it's hard to tell if you think someone is serious about "rock bottom." That's where you have to take people at their word, but sadly many do not.

I don't mind lowballing people occasionally if it's still a lot of money, you never know what the situation is, but it's usually telling in the negotiations even with BIN. For example: Card is listed at $400. I offer $250. Seller responds $395. Yep...that should be pretty telling to you as the buyer.

I don't mind low ball offers, it creates a starting point at least, as long as the offer isn't a total insult ($10 on a $100 item).