Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   SPOILER ALERT Jeopardy do not read (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269724)

megalimey 06-03-2019 05:39 AM

SPOILER ALERT Jeopardy do not read

jeopardy spoiler ALERT

Jeopardy champion James Holzhauer gets knocked out today
Monday June 3rd
by a lady

Jim65 06-03-2019 07:29 AM

If you hate to be a spoiler, then why do it?

megalimey 06-03-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1884226)
If you hate to be a spoiler, then why do it?

I WAS HOPING IT WAS NOT TRUE AND MAYBE FAKE NEWS

will know for sure when I tune it tonight

Jim65 06-03-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1884235)
I WAS HOPING IT WAS NOT TRUE AND MAYBE FAKE NEWS

will know for sure when I tune it tonight

After I read it here, I googled and watched the video, looks real enough. I hope it is true, his smugness was getting to be too much.

barrysloate 06-03-2019 08:15 AM

I heard about it too. Time for somebody else to be champ, I guess.

maniac_73 06-03-2019 09:33 AM

If its a spoiler why put it in the title?

clydepepper 06-03-2019 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1884183)
jeopardy spoiler alert

jeopardy champion james holzhauer gets knocked out today
monday june 3rd
by a lady

Attachment 355297

GaryPassamonte 06-03-2019 02:36 PM

You put "Spoiler Alert" in the title. What else could it mean other than he loses? What satisfaction is gained by ruining the lost suspense others might enjoy by finding out the outcome in real time. What a selfish act.

JollyElm 06-03-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1884325)

Crap, you beat me to it!!!

barrysloate 06-03-2019 05:28 PM

All things must pass....and he fell only 60k short of passing Ken Jennings total. It was fun, and he was a good sport in defeat.

Jim65 06-03-2019 06:53 PM

I just heard on the news that Jeopardy champs do not get paid until 6 months after their final appearance. How true that is, I have no idea.

Steve D 06-03-2019 07:10 PM

She beat him at his own game. She got the daily doubles in Double Jeopardy and bet big, and held the lead going into Final Jeopardy. Then the Final Jeopardy clue was fairly easy, and she got it right.

He also got it right, but even if he had bet everything he had, she would've beat him by a dollar.

Steve

Jim65 06-04-2019 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1884616)
She beat him at his own game. She got the daily doubles in Double Jeopardy and bet big, and held the lead going into Final Jeopardy. Then the Final Jeopardy clue was fairly easy, and she got it right.

He also got it right, but even if he had bet everything he had, she would've beat him by a dollar.

Steve

He knew he couldn't win if she answered correctly so he bet small to protect himself if he and she both got it wrong and middle guy got it right. It was actually a very smart bet.

barrysloate 06-04-2019 04:00 AM

It would take a perfect storm to beat him, and that's what happened:

1) He made most of his money each game on the daily doubles in double jeopardy, but she landed them both, bet big on one, and knew both answers.

2) She was an excellent player who could keep up with him.

3) The final jeopardy was rather easy- even I knew Christopher Marlowe was the answer- so he couldn't hope that he would know it and she wouldn't.

He fell only a game or so short of passing Ken Jennings. But he will be back periodically in the various Tournament of Champions, so he's not done yet.

Jim65 06-04-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1884699)

3) The final jeopardy was rather easy- even I knew Christopher Marlowe was the answer- so he couldn't hope that he would know it and she wouldn't.

But he did not know the question yet, only the topic, when he made his Final Jeopardy wager.

clydepepper 06-04-2019 08:16 AM

IMO, this was a wonderful shared experience - there aren't many of those these days without some significant downside.

barrysloate 06-04-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1884726)
But he did not know the question yet, only the topic, when he made his Final Jeopardy wager.

Of course, but when you go into final jeopardy behind, you hope that you know the answer and your opponent misses it. But since all three got it right, it would qualify as a rather easy one.

There are nearly two full pages in today's NY Times about yesterday's game and a profile of Emma Boettcher. It's a tribute to Jeopardy that a game show garners so much attention. It's worth reading to see the laser focus Emma had getting on the show and preparing for it. And the result was one of the most historic wins in the show's history. I like a good story and this certainly is one.

clydepepper 06-04-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1884778)
Of course, but when you go into final jeopardy behind, you hope that you know the answer and your opponent misses it. But since all three got it right, it would qualify as a rather easy one.

There are nearly two full pages in today's NY Times about yesterday's game and a profile of Emma Boettcher. It's a tribute to Jeopardy that a game show garners so much attention. It's worth reading to see the laser focus Emma had getting on the show and preparing for it. And the result was one of the most historic wins in the show's history. I like a good story and this certainly is one.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long she'll last?

...or does our 'spoiler' already know?

=

megalimey 06-04-2019 11:08 AM

Spoiler alert 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1884843)
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long she'll last?

...or does our 'spoiler' already know?

=

spoilier alert #2

spoiler alert number 2 , she will be gone before Monday June 10th
she got very lucky hitting 2 daily doubles and capitalizing
she won't get that lucky again !! book it

pokerplyr80 06-04-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 1884468)
You put "Spoiler Alert" in the title. What else could it mean other than he loses? What satisfaction is gained by ruining the lost suspense others might enjoy by finding out the outcome in real time. What a selfish act.

I agree. I read about some guy who was shouting avengers spoilers outside of a theater who got his ass kicked. I wouldn't complain if the guy who started this thread shared a similar fate.

megalimey 06-06-2019 06:01 PM

I called it

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1884874)
spoilier alert #2

spoiler alert number 2 , she will be gone before Monday June 10th
she got very lucky hitting 2 daily doubles and capitalizing
she won't get that lucky again !! book it

i CALLED IT

spoiler alert 3
Warriors lose in NBA finals 4-3

clydepepper 06-06-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1886035)
i CALLED IT

spoiler alert 3
Warriors lose in NBA finals 4-3

Quick...while you're hot:

What are the next MegaMillion and PowerBall numbers?
(earn your keep!)

barrysloate 06-07-2019 04:16 AM

How did she miss Woody Guthrie? Sheesh. She would have lost anyway, as the guy in the middle had a little more money going into the final. There's only one James Holzhauer.