Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The official Mickey Mantle Pickup Thread. All Mick, all the time! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=222292)

AustinMike 12-16-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1611115)
Hey Mike,

It's part of the same packaging you just posted from your bat pickup I believe.

Chris

Yeah, sure enough, there it is. :o I guess that's an example of why I've never claimed to be the most observant person around.

clydepepper 12-16-2016 06:28 PM

Heritage pick-ups

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 254440

Attachment 254441

irv 12-16-2016 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=clydepepper;1611236
[/QUOTE]

Nice!

jb67 12-16-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1611236)

Raymond, Great looking Dandee Mick. Congrats on landing two very nice looking Mantles.

johnnyboggs 12-17-2016 11:32 AM

Just picked it up today! Merry Christmas to me...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1e1b45b05e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irv 12-17-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyboggs (Post 1611431)
Just picked it up today! Merry Christmas to me..

I guess so.

That card is in ex/mt shape!

johnnyboggs 12-17-2016 01:18 PM

Yeah, really happy with it

KendallCat 12-17-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyboggs (Post 1611431)
Just picked it up today! Merry Christmas to me...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1e1b45b05e.jpg

Sweet card - what did it grade out per PSA?

mickeymantle24 12-18-2016 05:51 PM

Stoked to be adding this trio to my Mantle run!

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...-1957-topps-95

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...1963-topps-200

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...1965-topps-350

KendallCat 12-18-2016 08:35 PM

Nice pick ups Mike, and the image and clarity on the 57 Mantle is outstanding. Working some deals for a few Mantles as we speak - fingers crossed.

mickeymantle24 12-18-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendallCat (Post 1611912)
Nice pick ups Mike, and the image and clarity on the 57 Mantle is outstanding. Working some deals for a few Mantles as we speak - fingers crossed.

Thanks KC! Best of luck to you on acquiring the ones you are after. Would love to see the new adds when you finalize the deal.

tedzan 12-21-2016 11:33 AM

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ardPanelMM.jpg

TED Z

bnorth 12-21-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1612748)

That is super cool Ted. I am going to have to borrow that image and make a refractor panel out of that.:)

irv 12-21-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1612748)

TED Z

Very nice!

RayBShotz 12-22-2016 07:13 AM

Wonder how Cracker Jack was able to hijack the 53 Topps Feller image and the 58 Topps Doby image?

Johnny630 12-22-2016 10:16 AM

Ted that's a awesome sheet !! I have that same sheet signed by all the players !!

quitcrab 12-22-2016 07:53 PM

I think that's the 64 Topps stand up image of Brooks too

brian1961 12-23-2016 03:23 PM

QUOTE OF AUSTINMIKE FROM 12/14/2016 / POST #486:
Hey Brian, sorry to take so long to respond.

I agree with you, it is amazing that something that was once a free prize is now so cherished. But, I suppose because they were free and basically "worthless" at the time, many did not survive. Which makes them so cherished today. The fact that it is a beautiful card simply enhances its allure.

When I opened the package and saw the card for the first time, my initial reaction was surprise. I should have known better, but for some reason I expected it to be the size of today's cards. I should have figured it would be the size of '52 Topps, but I didn't. So the size was very surprising. Then the colors really grabbed me. Around then I noticed that it is the same picture of Mick used in several Yankee photo packs, but the one on the card, because it is colorized, really stands out. It's kind of hard to describe what it's like to be holding something so cherished and something that you never thought you would ever own. Although, I must admit, not near as thrilling as holding my kids for the first time. :)

As far as sharing my joy here, where else am I going to share it? Just about everyone I know would think I'm crazy for spending that much money for a card that was once a free prize. :D A big thank-you to Leon and everyone here for letting me share my joy here.[/QUOTE]

Hey AustinMike! Sorry it took me so long to response to your wonderful re-telling of seeing your beautiful 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks for the first time. I relished your reflections on the card. I would have loved to have quoted you for the book. Your well-expressed thoughts are just the sort of colorful thing I tried to add to NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

Anyways, I'm glad you love your Stahl-Meyer. From the sound of things, you were in the middle of a decent dog fight for the card. I know you really didn't want to go that high, but as you reflect upon the circumstances that won you this key Mantle piece, it's no doubt reassuring you obviously were among a small group all trying hard to win it.

Merry Christmas! ----Brian Powell

Mark70Z 12-23-2016 04:16 PM

Brooks Robinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 1613199)
I think that's the 64 Topps stand up image of Brooks too

Close Scott, but he's wearing a "Baltimore" away jersey in the '64 stand up.

johnnyboggs 12-29-2016 05:06 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d8b927d0b0.jpg

Picked up this wonderful 58T from a stand up member on net54
Thanks Mike

blackandgold 01-10-2017 05:32 PM

1967 Topps

1 Attachment(s)
I needed this for my set, and took advantage of the EBay $15 off $75 offer a couple weeks ago. I'm going to crack it out to go in the binder, but it was the nicest 4 I could find.

Stonepony 01-10-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackandgold (Post 1619274)
I needed this for my set, and took advantage of the EBay $15 off $75 offer a couple weeks ago. I'm going to crack it out to go in the binder, but it was the nicest 4 I could find.

Wow, that's a great 4...congrats!

bswhiten 01-11-2017 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of "first graded" examples I recently got back from PSA. Always on the lookout for more Country Cookin's!

ChiefBeef 01-12-2017 05:09 PM

Old Photo

1 Attachment(s)
From the '51 Season. No. 7 is Bill Cerv. Tough scan, and couldn't get all in picture, nor get size down to allowed very easy.
Attachment 257575

irv 01-12-2017 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBeef (Post 1619946)
From the '51 Season. No. 7 is Bill Cerv. Tough scan, and couldn't get all in picture, nor get size down to allowed very easy.
Attachment 257575

Great pic!

As you likely haven't seen this pic, being new here, here is a pic of my Great Uncle Same with Mickey Mantle and Dizzy Trout taken at the 1958 World Series.

My Uncle's Sams friend, Norm is closest to Mick and Dizzy Trout is the second guy.

Welcome to the site. Best one around, imo. :)

brian1961 01-13-2017 11:22 AM

Dale, that's a marvelous treasure, bro. So happy for you to have that. I remember when you first posted it, and definitely am glad to see it again.

In 1971, a dear family friend gave me a black 'n white photo he received from his friend, Leo Best, who was a guest with his wife at the dinner table, where Yankees' owner Dan Topping, and some of his players, were dining. With the presence of Mr. Topping, I would surmise it was taken at the swanky hotel the Yanks stayed at during spring training.

Maybe I can try to load it up one day. Most people don't care for shots of players in their civilian clothes, but it's such a great conversation piece. I mean, there the guy is, seated at the table with his wife, conversing with Dan Topping. Around the table, smiling at the camera are:

Yogi Berra, Billy Martin, and Mickey Mantle. Billy is really smirking; no surprise there. There's another player I cannot identify. My friend was having trouble too; perhaps he was a reserve player. Which then makes for a good reason to load 'er up on Net54. We got some mid-50s Yankee fans who are great "EAGLE EYES". One or more of them could identify the man. We really have a lot of guys who truly enjoy being helpful.

Take care, Dale, have a happy new year, and some time please tell me about your 1952 Topps set building.

All the best, bro. ---Brian Powell

irv 01-13-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1620150)
Dale, that's a marvelous treasure, bro. So happy for you to have that. I remember when you first posted it, and definitely am glad to see it again.

In 1971, a dear family friend gave me a black 'n white photo he received from his friend, Leo Best, who was a guest with his wife at the dinner table, where the owner and some of the Yankees were dining. With the presence of Mr. Topping, I would surmise it was taken at the swanky hotel the Yanks stayed at during spring training.

Maybe I can try to load it up one day. Most people don't care for shots with players in their civilian clothes, but it's such a great conversation piece. I mean, there the guy is, seated at the table with his wife, conversing with Dan Topping. Around the table, smiling at the camera are:

Yogi Berra, Billy Martin, and Mickey Mantle. Billy is really smirking; no surprise there. There's another player I cannot identify. My friend was having trouble too; perhaps he was a reserve player. Which then makes for a good reason to load 'er up on Net54. We got some mid-50s Yankee fans who are great "EAGLE EYES". One or more of them could identify the man. We really have a lot of guys who truly enjoy being helpful.

Take care, Dale, have a happy new year, and some time please tell me about your 1952 Topps set building.

All the best, bro. ---Brian Powell

Happy New Year to you as well, Brian.

That would be a great pic to see, Brian. If you get the chance someday, please it up as I am sure I am not the only one who would enjoy seeing it. :)

pokerplyr80 02-02-2017 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one just arrived a couple of days ago. A centered one to replace a card purchased earlier for my run. Matches the rest much better.

Stonepony 02-02-2017 09:47 PM

Congrats on that beauty!

pokerplyr80 02-03-2017 05:07 PM

Thanks Dave, it looks great in hand.

Mickey Mays 02-06-2017 06:12 PM

My Mantle

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up, very happy with the centering and price

Attachment 260563

irv 02-06-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey Mays (Post 1628128)
Just picked this up, very happy with the centering and price

Attachment 260563

Nice looking card!

Congrats on the P/U.

Timbegs 02-12-2017 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Always loved the artwork on the 1954 Red Heart. Maybe it's the blue background that is reminiscent of the 52T...

Stonepony 02-16-2017 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm really happy with this card. A couple creases, which in hand are hard to see unless angled. The scan really lit them up- but that's ok
Attachment 262113

jb67 02-16-2017 08:00 PM

Not an easy card to get in any condition and this one looks great for the grade. Congrats.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1631902)
I'm really happy with this card. A couple creases, which in hand are hard to see unless angled. The scan really lit them up- but that's ok
Attachment 262113

aconte 02-16-2017 08:06 PM

Nice Stahl Meyer! I love that card. Great in any grade.

Bestdj777 02-16-2017 08:21 PM

Gorgeous card and terrific condition for the issue. My Stahl Meyers are all rags. Great pickup!

brian1961 02-17-2017 10:57 AM

Congratulations, Dave. That's one very important pick-up. At least the stains are barely noticeable, which are so prevalent with the Stahl-Meyer Franks package cards.

I've got a fascinating story. A couple years ago, I vividly remember a buddy telling me about his '53 Stahl-Meyer. The original owner, a young boy no doubt, actually filled out his name and address on the backside of the '53, ostensibly to enter Stahl-Meyers' contest. However, as some of us know, to enter the contest would require giving up his free prize Mantle card, plus another card. Seems to me the youngster thought better of the idea, or wasn't able to get another Stahl-Meyer baseball card, BUT STILL decided to hang on to his Mickey Mantle. Maybe it was smashed to smithereens while entombed inside the package, or more probable, was also given lots of admiration handling for a few years. Be that as it may, the kid didn't throw his Mantle away! With that mesmerizing portrait, who could blame the boy?;) The addition of the kid's name and address adds special period charm to that '53, and helps make it a terrific conversation piece.

Thanks again Dave for sharing your good fortune.

---Brian Powell

TUM301 02-18-2017 07:19 AM

Stahl-Meyer

Dave great looking "53" Meyer, awesome addition to any collection sir. Enjoy it for years to come.

pokerplyr80 02-21-2017 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the last two pickups posted. I was between those two cards, and this one. Wanted to add an early non Topps or Bowman Mantle. Hopefully someday I will pick up the other two, but for now this one will do.

judgebuck 02-23-2017 07:02 PM

Love the 53 Stahl Meyer. I saw one graded PSA 7 on display at the National in Chicago a couple of years ago, but the only other ones I've seen are PSA 1 or 2 with the MK qualifier. Just getting this card in any condition is nearly impossible. I'm not sure, but I think Brian also has a PSA 7.

The 1954 Dan Dee is great as well. That one is next on my list.

judgebuck (David)

brian1961 02-24-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgebuck (Post 1634685)
Love the 53 Stahl Meyer. I saw one graded PSA 7 on display at the National in Chicago a couple of years ago, but the only other ones I've seen are PSA 1 or 2 with the MK qualifier. Just getting this card in any condition is nearly impossible. I'm not sure, but I think Brian also has a PSA 7.

The 1954 Dan Dee is great as well. That one is next on my list.

judgebuck (David)

Hi, David. No, my friend, I'm not the fortunate owner of the unique 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks PSA 7 Near Mint. That is a major honey. I tried to talk it up on the PSA message forum when Mile High offered the world class set, and auctioned the cards individually, among them the PSA 7 Mantle. I guess I was rather spritely in my verbiage, but I assure you it was not bloviating. Everyone seemed to think I was pumping my own card. However, I knew for a fact ultra-high grade Stahl-Meyers are very seldom auctioned. The only matter nearly everyone cared to comment on was its morbid centering. Still within the confines of a PSA 7, it is breathtaking notwithstanding. A genuine dream card.

My forum thread responses must have made some impression, because while Google searching "Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle" recently, there was the PSA thread with my long, developed responses.

David, you've never bought my E-book on a CD. Perchance if you wish to know more about Stahl-Meyers, you would be well-rewarded by purchasing the book. Google searching the title, Never Cheaper By the Dozen, and the press release, written by my editor, Tom Bartsch, should appear. I'm not trying to come off as a hobby telemarketer, honest. However, if you love regionals as I do, honestly, you should act on this tip. If I was not the author, I would want to know about the book, for sure. There's also a chapter on the Dan-Dees, too. The Mantle card is not mentioned; the basic scope concerns a mid-70s major find of 13 of the 14 Dan-Dee Cleveland Indians, all in virtually Gem Mint condition. Brilliant find. Unbelievable condition.

I wish you the very best in your pursuit of a Dan-Dee Mickey Mantle; a beautiful card, to be sure.

---Brian Powell

judgebuck 02-24-2017 07:11 PM

Hi, Brian. I knew you didn't own the PSA 7 Stahl Meyer Mantle that I spotted at the National because I think you told me at the time that you knew who owned it. I have it in my head that you have a chapter in your e-book about this card and that you said you bought one years ago and had it graded and it came back at a high grade. Hope I'm not dreaming.

Speaking of your e-book, you are correct. I need to get this. In addition to the wonderful Stahl Meyer and Dan Dee Mantle cards, I love the 1960 Post as well. I believe this card is under appreciated. David

mickey7mantle7 02-25-2017 04:15 PM

Looks more like a 6.5 to me. Lower left corner is the culprit on this well centered beauty...

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...psnq8pt8oz.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/RUGq3W

brian1961 02-26-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgebuck (Post 1635021)
Hi, Brian. I knew you didn't own the PSA 7 Stahl Meyer Mantle that I spotted at the National because I think you told me at the time that you knew who owned it. I have it in my head that you have a chapter in your e-book about this card and that you said you bought one years ago and had it graded and it came back at a high grade. Hope I'm not dreaming.

Speaking of your e-book, you are correct. I need to get this. In addition to the wonderful Stahl Meyer and Dan Dee Mantle cards, I love the 1960 Post as well. I believe this card is under appreciated. David

David, I did a chapter on the majestic 1960 Post Cereal. You are correct in your assessment; it's under-appreciated. Really, nobody has written about them to the extent I have. A couple collectors who got them as youngsters or teens granted me some short, but beautiful interviews.

As I wrote, the Dan-Dees are covered, but the find of the mint Cleveland Indians is what I zero in on. I also put the spotlight on hobby pioneer Buck Barker in the Dan-Dee chapter.

Maybe I better give you my email address if you should have further questions on getting the book. I'm at:

bfpowell2003@yahoo.com

Take care, David.

mickey7mantle7 03-10-2017 11:11 AM

A new addition added to the PC

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...psjpii8pxd.jpg

sniffy5 03-10-2017 04:08 PM

1951 Bowman Mantle

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up the Bowman last week. I love it!

irv 03-10-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniffy5 (Post 1639710)
Picked up the Bowman last week. I love it!

Nice cards!

Stonepony 03-10-2017 06:11 PM

Incredible cards Tom

sniffy5 03-10-2017 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dave. I have some really cool pre-war cards, the 1914 CJ set to be specific, but I love these Mantles more than anything.