Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What baseball player would you like to see and think would make a great movie? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218743)

Joshchisox08 02-26-2016 05:13 AM

What baseball player would you like to see and think would make a great movie?

I would vote for two people and they would be somewhat biased choices.

Ty Cobb gets a new movie. Recent research has shown and proven Stump butchered Cobb's legacy. At least to a degree there should be a movie made with more recent facts as well as during his playing career and actual events that happened.

I did like the Tommy Lee Jones movie but it's all fabrication. It shouldn't be the only movie made for the general public to believe the lies.

My same sentiments go towards Comiskey. I think they could do a great job at making a Comiskey movie. There is a book out that I haven't got around to reading yet called "Turning the Black Sox White". More or less the same thing about the new books on Cobb. Trying to tell the other side to the story.

Republicaninmass 02-26-2016 06:10 AM

Lying in bed the other night I had the genius idea of a Clemente movie...What an amazing story, with a tragic end

Seems like someone already has...as it's already in the works

TUM301 02-26-2016 06:31 AM

Movie Idea

The life and too short lived career of Tony Conigliaro "Tony C" would make an interesting movie. The father of a good friend of mine bought Tony`s old 70`s haunt, Tony C`s, right on the Boston harbor from him about 40 years ago. Turned the once roaring rock-n-roll club into a very successful beautiful function hall over looking the Boston sky line.

SAllen2556 02-26-2016 09:35 AM

From a selfish Tiger fan's perspective, I'd like to see a movie about Mickey Cochrane and the story of him coming to the Tigers and leading them to their first modern day world series title. I've read that the stress he put himself under was tremendous. Then in 1937 he was hit in the head by a pitch and it nearly killed him. Supposedly, he was never the same person or ball player after that. His downward spiral after that incident seems quite tragic, and sad.

bn2cardz 02-26-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 1508654)
From a selfish Tiger fan's perspective, I'd like to see a movie about Mickey Cochrane and the story of him coming to the Tigers and leading them to their first modern day world series title. I've read that the stress he put himself under was tremendous. Then in 1937 he was hit in the head by a pitch and it nearly killed him. Supposedly, he was never the same person or ball player after that. His downward spiral after that incident seems quite tragic, and sad.

I own this image of that tragic event taken as it happened with the bat still falling.

http://rmyauctions.com/ItemImages/000002/2456c_med.jpeg

It wasn't only this tragic moment that sent him in a spiral, though, it was also the war and the death of his son on D-Day.

I would love to see a more general movie of the Negro leagues. As a focus they could use many great players. Maybe Satchel Paige would be good since he had such a long career.

I would also love to see a beginning of Baseball movie. Because I am in St. Louis they could focus on Chris Von Der Ahe and his St. Louis Browns and his turning the game of Base ball into the business we see now (including theme nights and selling beer at the games).

Joshchisox08 02-28-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 1508654)

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie on Cochrane! I'm pretty sure it would probably be pretty low budget though.

I can't imagine anyone biting at the idea of a player who was never a defenitive superstar player.

Having a movie based off of a great catcher would be awesome. I'm unaware of much of Cochranes life other than the fact that Ty supported him after baseball in some form or another. I would definitely like to see that movie!

esd10 02-28-2016 05:44 PM

A movie that I would see is the 1869 cincy red stockings from the beginning to when they where defeated through the perspective of harry wright and george wright.

Wihawk 02-28-2016 08:25 PM

Ted Williams would be the main character of a movie I'd love to see.

pariah1107 02-28-2016 11:36 PM

Having just completed a book on the man, very few baseball biographies measure up to Jimmy Claxton. A good portion of his career was spent in Roslyn, Washington which has been the location of several TV series (Northern Exposure), and movies. In almost suspended animation the town looks very similar to the way it looked in 1920's.

clydepepper 02-29-2016 11:27 AM

Jim Creighton

King Kelly

Ted Williams

Tony Conigliaro

Hank Aaron

Sidd Finch

CW 02-29-2016 01:27 PM

First one that came to mind was Clemente.

also...

Mark Fidrych

Rube Waddell

Walter Johnson

Kirby Puckett

dgo71 02-29-2016 07:17 PM

A King Kelly movie would be fantastic.

almostdone 02-29-2016 07:17 PM

Now that I see these suggestions I agree Rube Waddell would make a great movie subject. Most people outside of baseball fans have never heard of him and wouldn't believe half of the stuff he did or at least is credited with.
Drew

RTK 02-29-2016 08:40 PM

Satchel Paige

Writehooks 03-02-2016 12:31 AM

Urban Shocker. In addition to remarkable stats, he was baseball's first true "free agent" ... before tragedy struck.

clydepepper 03-02-2016 06:40 PM

Gabby Cravath

1952boyntoncollector 03-02-2016 07:13 PM

Rick Ankiel

Jason Lane

A documentary of Lefty relievers that pitch on average to one hitter would be interesting too

RTK 03-02-2016 08:33 PM

Moe Berg too, baseball player and spy

the 'stache 03-03-2016 03:11 AM

Clemente would be my first choice. But if I were to go the unconventional route, I've always been fascinated by Hughie Jennings. The man led an interesting life, and he was a bit of a nut, to boot.

He attended Cornell Law School, and while he didn't finish his education there, he passed the Bar exam, and practiced law. Great baseball player, probably an even better coach/manager. His personality from the coaching box is legendary. Then there's his uncanny near-death experiences. How many men can say they survived not one, but two skull fractures? He was a highly intelligent man, yet he went diving into a swimming pool at night, only to learn it was empty after he'd cracked his skull.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1669/qrQTKb.jpg

"Should they make a movie about me? Eeeeeyah!!!"

packs 03-03-2016 07:07 AM

I would love seeing a Hack Wilson movie. He drank, he fought, he hit the ball hard. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of Hack knows there's a story to tell inside of that man.

clydepepper 03-03-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1510996)
I would love seeing a Hack Wilson movie. He drank, he fought, he hit the ball hard. Anyone who has ever seen a photo of Hack knows there's a story to tell inside of that man.

read 'Fouled Away - The Baseball Tragedy of Hack Wilson' by Clifton Blue Parker.

...along the same lines, how about Josh Gibson?

egri 03-03-2016 08:43 AM

Wayne Terwilliger would make an interesting movie. He grew up in the Depression, made three combat landings with the Marines during World War II, and was present for The Shot Heard 'Round the World. He then spent over 50 years as a coach, including winning two World Series rings with the Twins.

airhed4 05-14-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1510893)
Moe Berg too, baseball player and spy

Well the Moe Berg flick being made!

http://deadline.com/2016/04/paul-rud...in-1201746089/

KCRfan1 05-14-2016 04:51 PM

I'll go outside the box and say Sidd Finch.

clydepepper 05-14-2016 04:55 PM

Thought not a vintage player, how about Matt Bush?

- reminds of Ron Leflore

second chances are frequently overvalued and certainly overplayed, but this one may stand out...if he stays on the straight and narrow...

...and makes a personal stand against drunk driving and works and contributes to victims rights.

I hope we all wish this guy good luck and hope he succeeds in the rest of his life. :)

ajquigs 05-14-2016 05:26 PM

RA Dickey is one that I would like to see and probably remains plausible as his memoir could serve as the source material; updated to capture his All-Star / Cy Young year (2012) and resulting payday.
I think Hollywood might see the story as having appeal similar to The Rookie (Jim Morris).
There seem to be the right number of movie moments ... the withdrawal of his signing bonus due to the missing arm ligament, his utter lack of MLB success (which can be illustrated with his six HR outing in 2006), appearing to be finished and resorting to learning the knuckleball, declining to take a contract to pitch in Korea because he dreamed of pitching in the majors again, getting that chance and eventually making the All-Star team, winning the Cy Young Award, and earning millions at an age when most pitchers are retired.

FourStrikes 05-14-2016 05:32 PM

yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1539112)
I'll go outside the box and say Sidd Finch.

my thoughts exactly...would be epic!

looks like ESPN 30/30 did a "short" feature, but a feature film sure wouldn't suck.

clydepepper 05-14-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourStrikes (Post 1539134)
my thoughts exactly...would be epic!

looks like ESPN 30/30 did a "short" feature, but a feature film sure wouldn't suck.

With Sidd's feet acting as my avatar, you know I'd love to see that one too!

Dewey 05-15-2016 05:27 PM

This movie has already been made in the bio piece on Dickey and Wakefield, Knuckleball.

For any Gehrig fans, a new film is currently underway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajquigs (Post 1539129)
RA Dickey is one that I would like to see and probably remains plausible as his memoir could serve as the source material; updated to capture his All-Star / Cy Young year (2012) and resulting payday.
I think Hollywood might see the story as having appeal similar to The Rookie (Jim Morris).
There seem to be the right number of movie moments ... the withdrawal of his signing bonus due to the missing arm ligament, his utter lack of MLB success (which can be illustrated with his six HR outing in 2006), appearing to be finished and resorting to learning the knuckleball, declining to take a contract to pitch in Korea because he dreamed of pitching in the majors again, getting that chance and eventually making the All-Star team, winning the Cy Young Award, and earning millions at an age when most pitchers are retired.

clydepepper 05-15-2016 05:39 PM

This Guy:

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 231445

Attachment 231446

Attachment 231447

Attachment 231448

Attachment 231449

Paul S 05-15-2016 10:01 PM

Casey Stengel

From having his own T210 card to managing the Mets, he pretty much did it all. A fun question would be which actor(s) would portray him?:)