Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Two Mystery Autographs from 1935 and 1940 (likely Music related). Help Needed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210301)

ATP 08-19-2015 12:20 PM

Two Mystery Autographs from 1935 and 1940 (likely Music related). Help Needed

2 Attachment(s)
I have been staring at these two autographs from a large collection I
purchased, for almost six months now. I love a good mystery but these two have been stretching on in my unknown pile for too long now. A majority of the several hundred autographs in the collection were music or radio related, some movie, and some fine arts, so likely it is from one of those areas. The envelope is dated from 1935, somewhere in Europe (maybe a stamp collector will recognize which country). I am not even positive it's an autograph in the lower left, but it looks like one. For all I know, it could read "air-mail" or something like that. It was kept with the autographs though so I am leaning towards it being a signature.
The second autograph (small blue paper) is from 1940, and was kept near some big band autographs. My first blush was Tommy Dorsey but it's not. There were a lot of local music figures in the collection so it may be a relatively unknown, the collector lived in Kentucky. Any help is greatly appreciated.

munsonman 08-19-2015 12:25 PM

Cover

Hi- The cover is from Austria. Hope that info helps you with the id.

Lordstan 08-19-2015 12:38 PM

The bottom one is Tom Mix. Don't know who the top is.

packs 08-19-2015 12:38 PM

Could the second signature be Tommy Dorsey? I see some similarities but if it is him it must be a rushed one.

Whoops, never mind. Tom Mix already identified.

ATP 08-19-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1443997)
The bottom one is Tom Mix. Don't know who the top is.

Tom Mix...very nice, thank you. Have stared at that one for months, now it's clear as day :)

Also, thanks to the member for ID'ing the postal cover as from Austria. There was a composer autograph included in the collection, Franz Lehar, who is from Austria. The writing at the bottom left of the envelope almost looks very similar in style to his signature, with the curly loops, etc. I wonder if it just says something else, and this was the envelope the autograph and photo came in...I bet that's it.

steve B 08-24-2015 08:05 AM

I could be that it's the envelope the photo came in.

I believe it says "Drucksache" or what we'd call printed matter. Usually it's used for mailing ads or pricelists or similar stuff that's not of a personal nature. The normal rate to the US was I think 60Gr, so a printed matter rate of 8Gr seems about right. If the recipient didn't include return postage I can see a composer or his help sending a photo that way.

Steve B

Runscott 09-20-2015 06:34 PM

I''m bumping this thread simply because it's about vintage autographs, and we have almost none of that any more. Also, I found it very interesting - thanks Jeff.

I challenge others to post some vintage material - perhaps discuss an old Ruth or Wagner autograph coming up for auction...you know, like in the old days.