Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 NSCC Update (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302900)

Rich Klein 06-01-2021 09:21 AM

2021 NSCC Update

Unless something drastic happens, it is ON!

"Today, (June 1st) we are officially announcing the 41st National will take place July 28th - August 1, 2021 at the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, in the Village of Rosemont.

Full opening metrics in Illinois are continuing to improve and it appears that Governor Pritzker will announce on June 11 that the state has entered Phase 5 of their Reopening Plan (barring any setbacks in the recovery). Phase 5 indicates all events in Illinois can take place without capacity restrictions.

Visit www.nsccshow.com to purchase your VIP and/or general admission tickets today!"

Regards
Rich

Jason 06-01-2021 10:34 AM

Very good news thank you for posting the announcement. I have really grown fond of Chicago. Great things to do before and after the show!

Jewish-collector 06-01-2021 10:58 AM

The best part of the National is seeing Rich Klein in person and asking him how the hell he's doing ?" :D

Exhibitman 06-01-2021 01:02 PM

Have fun, guys! A variety of family and work related issues prevents me from making the trip this year.

Steve_NY 06-01-2021 01:04 PM

Rich, Thanks for the good news. I have already been preparing for the National as it will be 2 years since I last did a setup at a show. Should be fun. Steve

wondo 06-01-2021 04:15 PM

Excellent news! Bought my ticket for Friday.

prestigecollectibles 06-01-2021 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just saw this on Twitter

Johnny630 06-01-2021 05:19 PM

$500 a card ?

Kzoo 06-01-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2109268)
$500 a card ?

For cards valued $499 and less. :rolleyes:

Eric72 06-01-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 2109319)
For cards valued $499 and less. :rolleyes:

With guaranteed turnaround by the 2022 National.

nickers 07-15-2021 09:03 AM

Question for anyone who has attended the national before. Is it worth going?

Is there anything I’d find there that I can’t find on an online auction? I’m really interested in attending but I’m trying to justify the flight. What is everyone’s main purpose for going?

Thanks!

marzoumanian 07-15-2021 09:42 AM

That's an Easy Yes

You will not regret it. I've attended more than 30 Nationals and have always seen amazing items that you will never see anywhere else, including Cooperstown. And not just cards but trophies, uniforms, bats, gloves. In fact, I just wrote my monthly blog (shameless plug: www.markearzoumanian.com and then click on "Love of the Hobby") about my many thrilling experiences attending the National. I'm biased but Chicago is a great town. If you decide to stay by the Rosemont Convention Center you can just hop on the Blue Line and be downtown in about 40 minutes. Bottom line: Go, spend the $$. You will say wow over and over again. Peace.

Jewish-collector 07-15-2021 09:57 AM

I respectfully disagree. You can find anything you will ever want to purchase from auction houses, ebay, online stores, etc,... I used to attend the National every year, but the novelty is over. The only reason to go nowadays to meetup with guys from message boards and/or friends who are going. Leon's net54 dinner is always the best experience of attending the National.

Exhibitman 07-15-2021 10:08 AM

There is a visceral element to finding a rare item 'in the wild' that internet buying cannot replicate. Plus, there is the element of the find and unlike eBay you won't have to sweat the closing to grab it.

Needs a card, so here's a National find:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...Unc%20Cobb.jpg

nickers 07-15-2021 02:35 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I think I may go just for the experience and if I get lucky and find that 39 Goudey Premiums Ted Williams I’ve been searching for then it’s win win.

buymycards 07-16-2021 07:02 AM

The National

I treat the National as a vacation, rather than a business trip or a buying trip. Kind of like going to Yellowstone to look at the scenery. Even if I don't find a lot of items to purchase, I enjoy going from table to table to look at the cards and the memorabilia. Many of the dealers like to talk about their items, and it is worth it to spend time listening to their stories. I like to see the various dealer set ups and I like to see the wide variety of inventory that the dealers are selling.

When I went to the National in 2019, I was surprised by the number of dealers who were selling nothing but box after box of 10 cent, 25 cent, and $1 cards. The customers were lined up at these tables and it was nearly impossible to get close enough to start digging. Then, on the next dealers table, you might see a showcase with a couple of dozen T206 Cobb cards.

There were several hundred 1952 Mantles on display through the area. 1000's of T206's. 100's of thousand of 1950's cards. I was searching for cards for my T213 collection and when I asked the dealers if they had some, many of them gave me a blank look - like they didn't know what a T213 was.
I asked dozens of dealers about it and maybe a dozen had some in stock, but none that I needed for my set. Until, I came across a nice young lady in a booth filled with prewar cards and she knew what I was talking about and I bought at nice T213 at a reasonable price.

My point in all of this is to say - "If you have a chance to go and you can afford to go, then, by all means go. You will never regret it."

Yoda 07-16-2021 01:47 PM

I hope security will be tight. There will be a lot of sketchy folk there, no doubt, and pockets are picked at every Nat'l. Even though I am fully vaccinated, i am contemplating wearing a mask while roaming the aisles, given how many unvaccinated are out there.

Aaron Seefeldt 07-16-2021 07:26 PM

If & when possible, GO

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2123407)
I respectfully disagree. You can find anything you will ever want to purchase from auction houses, ebay, online stores, etc,... I used to attend the National every year, but the novelty is over. The only reason to go nowadays to meetup with guys from message boards and/or friends who are going. Leon's net54 dinner is always the best experience of attending the National.

At the last National in Chicago (2 years ago) I acquired my holy grail - an e92 Nadja Ty Cobb. The dealer I got it from had acquired 3 of them (privately) shortly before the National. They are the only 3 known to exist. Two of them were gobbled up by “heavy hitter collectors” before the National leaving the 1 I acquired. None of the 3 have been in auctions nor are they likely to. If I hadn’t gone to the National I wouldn’t have 1 of them either.

If & when possible, GO.

JollyElm 07-16-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt (Post 2123810)
At the last National in Chicago (2 years ago) I acquired my holy grail - an e92 Nadja Ty Cobb. The dealer I got it from had acquired 3 of them (privately) shortly before the National. They are the only 3 known to exist. Two of them were gobbled up by “heavy hitter collectors” before the National leaving the 1 I acquired. None of the 3 have been in auctions nor are they likely to. If I hadn’t gone to the National I wouldn’t have 1 of them either.

If & when possible, GO.

If you're interested, I have a Gregg Jefferies RC I'd trade for it. :D

JollyElm 07-16-2021 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All of us NOT attending The National waiting to hear fantastical stories and see pictures...

Attachment 469502