Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Greatest Infomercial Ever (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196610)

Exhibitman 11-08-2014 11:52 AM

Greatest Infomercial Ever

Tom Vu. Love how he insults all of the people he's pitching to. And WTF is with the women in the background???

http://youtu.be/kzsSpDyBc_4

And the parody version:

http://youtu.be/HveMAHf2UBg

barrysloate 11-08-2014 12:31 PM

The actor doing the In Living Color parody is Steve Park, who played Tommy Wu as a recurring character on the show. I've seen it many times but had absolutely no idea he was mocking a real infomercial. I thought he just made up the character. The real Tommy Vu is a riot.

Econteachert205 11-08-2014 01:15 PM

Vu is great, but for baseball cards it has to be don west.

drcy 11-09-2014 01:10 AM

On the old Canadian sit com The Red Green Show the wannabe entrepreneur character Winston regularly listens to tapes from the fictitious financial guru and life coach 'Anthony Anthony.' When another character questions following the financial advice of a television informercial advertiser, Winston says, "No, Anthony Anthony knows what he's talking about. He's made millions of dollars from selling his tapes."

bnorth 11-09-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1342466)
On the old Canadian sit com The Red Green Show the wannabe entrepreneur character Winston regularly listens to tapes from the fictitious financial guru and life coach 'Anthony Anthony.' When another character questions following the financial advice of a television informercial advertiser, Winston says, "No, Anthony Anthony knows what he's talking about. He's made millions of dollars from selling his tapes."

The Red Green Show is one of my all time favorites.

drcy 11-09-2014 12:32 PM

I've joked "You learn all about humanity from reading Shakespeare and watching The Red Green Show." Red Green fills in the parts missed by Shakespeare, including the psychotic forrest ranger, the pathological liar ferry boat captain and the monster truck aficionado. And where else but Red Green could you learn how to convert your lawn mower into a coffee maker or your old clothes washer into a ice cream maker. For the record, the clothes washer ice cream maker invention worked except Red Green learned afterwords he had forgotten to take out the dirty socks. His old toaster to computer disc drive invention worked, except when you turned off the computer the disc drive would shoot the disc across the room. Most of his inventions work, but not as intended and, of course, involve a plethora of duct tape. Or as he calls duct tape, "The universal adapter." According to Red "You can do anything if you have enough duct tape." In fact, they had an episode when he suffered severe withdrawals when the lodge and local stores ran out of duct tape. "I'm sorry I lost my temper with you there, but I've been eight hours without duct tape."

If you're from LA or NYC you might not get the show. The key is if you're from rural Iowa, Minnesota or Alberta you have known people exactly like the show's characters. The show even had a guy living in an underground bunker in the woods waiting for the chaos of 2000. He wouldn't leave it and was self sustaining, but wouldn't mind if brought him some groceries once in a while because he would get tired of eating mushrooms and drinking rain water.

bnorth 11-09-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1342621)
I've joked "You learn all about humanity from reading Shakespeare and watching The Red Green Show." Red Green fills in the parts missed by Shakespeare, including the psychotic forrest ranger, the pathological liar ferry boat captain and the monster truck aficionado. And where else but Red Green could you learn how to convert your lawn mower into a coffee maker or your old clothes washer into a ice cream maker. For the record, the clothes washer ice cream maker invention worked except Red Green learned afterwords he had forgotten to take out the dirty socks. His old toaster to computer disc drive invention worked, except when you turned off the computer the disc drive would shoot the disc across the room. Most of his inventions work, but not as intended and, of course, involve a plethora of duct tape. Or as he calls duct tape, "The universal adapter." According to Red "You can do anything if you have enough duct tape." In fact, they had an episode when he suffered severe withdrawals when the lodge and local stores ran out of duct tape. "I'm sorry I lost my temper with you there, but I've been eight hours without duct tape."

If you're from LA or NYC you might not get the show. The key is if you're from rural Iowa, Minnesota or Alberta you have known people exactly like the show's characters.

I am in South Dakota and yes I know people just like those characters in Red Green.

When they done a pledge drive on PBS several years ago I donated enough to get one of the vests they wear at the meetings. Steve Smith done his stand up routine at the Corn Palace a couple years ago and I wore my vest, it was funny because everybody was looking at me trying to figure out if I was a cast member.

drcy 11-11-2014 12:23 PM

For the unininitiated in The Red Green Show and Canadian backwoods humor, the show's mentally unstable forrest ranger giving the audience 'expert' advice on snakes.

You tube club: Ranger Gord on snakes

Interestingly, the character's psychosis and emotional instability has basis in fact. His job is being manning and living alone in a remote forrest fire watch tower and the extended solitude of such situations is known to cause mental problems, if just temporary. 'Cabin fever.'