Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dirt collection? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231183)

clydepepper 11-14-2016 12:05 PM

Dirt collection?

Last year my sister sent me a pen with what professes to be Yankee Stadium dirt in it.

On October 2, my brother and I received Turner Field dirt when we attended the final MLB game at that site.

Just for kicks and laughs, let's hear some ideas on how to preserve such a collection.

Q: If I wind up collecting official samples for all available stadiums and arenas, should I contact a realtor?

Q: Would such and collection attempt be the slowest possible land deal ever?

d

bnorth 11-14-2016 12:16 PM

I remember seeing a company selling dirt from all the stadiums a few years ago. They had the dirt from each stadium in containers about the size of a quarter and about 1/4" as thick.

I think getting it yourself from games you attended would be really cool. Buying it in the set like I seen not so much.

The realtor should only be needed if/when you sell.:D

packs 11-14-2016 12:19 PM

When me and my dad took a tour of old Yankee Stadium before they tore it down he wanted to snag some grass and dirt as souvenirs. The person leading the tour group actually yelled about it and told him he'd be kicked out if he tried again. I had to block him the next time he tried so she wouldn't see him. I even took some as an extra F U to that stupid guide and I didn't even want any.

almostdone 11-14-2016 12:32 PM

I have dirt from a number of stadiums. All collected in person by myself or a certain friend. It's more of a fun exercise in stupidity. We've had to come up with some pretty creative ways to get some. Some stadiums are easier than others.
So far I have dirt from Baltimore, Washington, Old Yankee stadium, Fenway, Atlanta, Arizona, Doubleday field in Cooperstown and from the college World Series when it was in Omaha NE.
I keep mine in glass toothpick jars with lids.

If anyone has any interest in some I have extra from Fenway, Cooperstown and Baltimore. Lmk.
Drew

slidekellyslide 11-14-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1602133)
When me and my dad took a tour of old Yankee Stadium before they tore it down he wanted to snag some grass and dirt as souvenirs. The person leading the tour group actually yelled about it and told him he'd be kicked out if he tried again. I had to block him the next time he tried so she wouldn't see him. I even took some as an extra F U to that stupid guide and I didn't even want any.

They don't sell anything without Steiner putting a huge premium on it.

Michael B 11-14-2016 01:16 PM

It is not that uncommon. I have read of several people who have done this. One person was unable to get to all of the stadiums so he wrote to the head of the grounds crew. Some helped, some did not.

When I was more involved in the Civil War community (giving lectures, buying/selling/collecting autographs of generals) I ran into a reenactor who collected dirt from as many battlefields as he could. I got him dirt from most of the battlefields in New Mexico and a few others west of the Mississippi. I used Kodak film canisters and I believe he may have put it in test tubes.

packs 11-14-2016 02:12 PM

On a related note while I was at Stonehenge earlier this year I pocketed some rocks from the field.

icollectDCsports 11-14-2016 02:41 PM

I have to admit that I picked up a few granules from the warning track in front of The Monstah at Fenway.

rgpete 11-14-2016 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On a different note a piece of pavement from the infield portion of Daytona Speedway while taking the Tour, and a lug nut from the Camping World Truck Series pit stall at Martinsville Speedway Va. I had pit passes to see my son when he was on a Pit Crew

JMEnglish27 11-14-2016 03:39 PM

I've picked up dirt here and there. And the Red Sox sent me some Fenway dirt in a fan pack thing my daughter and I sent off to a bunch of teams for.

It's a fun thing to do. What I'd really love, as an A's fan, would be to get some dirt or soil from each location the A's ever played. I have Coliseum dirt, but KC Municipal, Shibe, and the old Columbia Avenue Grounds...I'd love to do the old archaeological trick of digging X amount down to get a soil sample from the locations representing when the parks would have been active. Just for me.

Scott Garner 11-14-2016 03:59 PM

I actually own mound dirt from George Brett Nolan Ryan's last game in uniform (also the last game at old Arlington Stadium) in 1993. I pocketed this dirt myself on Oct. 1, 1993.

I also have Anaheim Stadium dirt obtained from game 7 in the 2002 World Series in which the Angels finally won the World Series.

Finally, I have stadium dirt from old Tigers Stadium from Sept. 27, 1999 (last game at "The Corner"). I swapped a friend for some of my Ryan mound dirt.

Silly, but fun! :)

mcgwirecom 11-14-2016 05:04 PM

I bought this on Ebay a while back. I kinda like the idea of a bit of dirt from each ballpark. The only dirt I collected myself was in 1998. I visited Babe Ruth's grave on the 50th anniversary of his death. I took some dirt from the top of his grave. See below.

mcgwirecom 11-14-2016 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here

Scott Garner 11-14-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1602199)
here

Love it, Randall!

clydepepper 11-15-2016 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1602199)
here

That is amazing!

Thanks to everyone for responding.

d

Baseball Glove Collector 11-15-2016 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a set of poker chip looking dirt from all the stadiums for Christmas a few years ago. I dig it although I collect ballparks with my son, not dirt. It's neat however to see how different they each are. Some are coarse, some fine, some like clay, some dark and some lighter.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com

almostdone 11-15-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Glove Collector (Post 1602440)
I got a set of poker chip looking dirt from all the stadiums for Christmas a few years ago. I dig it although I collect ballparks with my son, not dirt. It's neat however to see how different they each are. Some are coarse, some fine, some like clay, some dark and some lighter.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com

That's really cool.i put some dirt my son and I got on a baseball trip into silver dollar cases. I plan on incorporating them into a special display I'm making for him for Christmas showing highlights and moment one from our trip. I'll post a picture once I complete it.
Drew

insidethewrapper 11-15-2016 08:54 PM

When I die, I want my grandson to dump my ashes on the Detroit infield when he runs the bases after the game. I don't think anyone will notice if he drops a few ounces.