Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cobb and Ruth Newspapers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218413)

Touch'EmAll 02-20-2016 07:12 PM

Cobb and Ruth Newspapers

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple neat items that have been tucked away for years. The Cobb is in great shape from a 1909 Sports Page - looks like complete sports page. And the Ruth is from 1917 when pitching for the Red Sox - has a few tears around edges of sports page, but still very presentable. Any idea as to value and rarity? Thanks, Steve.

Touch'EmAll 02-21-2016 03:14 PM

Found some info

I found a dealer, Timothy Hughes, who specializes in rare and early newspapers. He has listed a few newspapers from 1914-1919 that have text only about Ruth - and is asking about $140. each for them. He has nothing even close to the picture on the paper I have from 1917.

baseball tourist 02-22-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1506802)
I found a dealer, Timothy Hughes, who specializes in rare and early newspapers. He has listed a few newspapers from 1914-1919 that have text only about Ruth - and is asking about $140. each for them. He has nothing even close to the picture on the paper I have from 1917.

Asking price doesn't always correlate to selling price. I like newsprint and your items have excellent eye appeal and subject matter for what they are; but unfortunately many consider newsprint to be on or near the low end of the collectible family of printed tems - with programs, tickets, photos, posters/broadsides, cards, tobacco and gum cards all being more collectable and thus, more valuable. I think that $100-200 for each of these would be a reasonable price range.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-22-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1506540)
Here are a couple neat items that have been tucked away for years. The Cobb is in great shape from a 1909 Sports Page - looks like complete sports page. And the Ruth is from 1917 when pitching for the Red Sox - has a few tears around edges of sports page, but still very presentable. Any idea as to value and rarity? Thanks, Steve.

Beautiful papers. Good Luck on your selling!

perezfan 02-22-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 1507254)
Asking price doesn't always correlate to selling price. I like newsprint and your items have excellent eye appeal and subject matter for what they are; but unfortunately many consider newsprint to be on or near the low end of the collectible family of printed tems - with programs, tickets, photos, posters/broadsides, cards, tobacco and gum cards all being more collectable and thus, more valuable. I think that $100-200 for each of these would be a reasonable price range.

Strongly agree with this. I've had a bunch that are on par with yours, and ended up literally giving them away. Vintage Newspapers are simply an incredibly difficult sell. Just not much demand, despite the great content and visual appeal. I think you'd do very well to get $75 for the Cobb and about the same for the Ruth. Just my .02, after repeated disappointing results.