Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Let's see your Henry Yee Auction winnings... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122687)

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 07:44 AM

Let's see your Henry Yee Auction winnings...

4 Attachment(s)
Day 1. Am very happy to pick up a 1935 Goudey Wrapper in superb condition. So I now have a 1933, 1934, 1935, and the toughest of the Goudey, 1938 Heads-up.

Attachment 16940Attachment 16941

Attachment 16942Attachment 16943

Leon 04-12-2010 07:52 AM

nadda

I am spent out for the moment....nice wrappers though. I always like the ancillary card items...

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 08:11 AM

Also Won This 1940s Original Art “PROOF” Book JOE DiMAGGIO How To Bat.

5 Attachment(s)
Originally from the DiMaggio Estate Sale of 2006. I won the book as a companion piece for my 1937 vintage original TYPE I photograph that was featured on the cover.

Attachment 16944Attachment 16945

Attachment 16946Attachment 16947

Attachment 16948

Forever Young 04-12-2010 08:48 AM

Woa

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 799132)
Originally from the DiMaggio Estate Sale of 2006. I won the book as a companion piece for my 1937 vintage original TYPE I photograph that was featured on the cover.

Attachment 16944Attachment 16945

Attachment 16946Attachment 16947

Attachment 16948

Thatis a cool one...I was thinking of bidding on that actually, Nice pick-up! Now you have to get the finished product/published book as another companion piece/trilogy! The neverending story/saga....:)

GKreindler 04-12-2010 09:18 AM

Jimmy,

Your companion pieces are ALWAYS cool as hell. Bravo!

Graig

Lordstan 04-12-2010 09:19 AM

King of companion pieces

Jimmy,

Now that you have the photo and artist proof, all you need is a regular print copy of the book(first edition, of course) to complete the group.

Nice stuff as always,
Mark

Lordstan 04-12-2010 06:49 PM

Lou

The only one I got tonight, but am very happy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7WSlouback.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7WSloufr-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...37WSloutag.jpg

baseballart 04-12-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 799143)
Thatis a cool one...I was thinking of bidding on that actually, Nice pick-up! Now you have to get the finished product/published book as another companion piece/trilogy! The neverending story/saga....:)

If I recall correctly, there never was a published book from this. (Am I recalling correctly?)

Max

Forever Young 04-12-2010 07:05 PM

probably

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballart (Post 799360)
If I recall correctly, there never was a published book from this. (Am I recalling correctly?)

Max

Max..it is not my background but you just might be correct as I have tried to find an example on ebay/google and have not been able to.

Jimmy...you might have lucked out...you do not have to spend anymore money on this one..chapter closed..time to move on to the next.

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballart (Post 799360)

Max

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 799364)
Max..it is not my background but you just might be correct as I have tried to find an example on ebay/google and have not been able to.

Jimmy...you might have lucked out...you do not have to spend anymore money on this one..chapter closed..time to move on to the next.

Max is correct. I had researched it prior to bidding on it realizing that this was my one and only shot. Let's just say my cap was far more than I won it for...:D

mr2686 04-12-2010 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was the only one I won this evening. Very happy though...this will go well with my 1919 sox display. Tomorrow are the big fish

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 08:45 PM

Boy Mike. I've seen a bunch of Landis images over the years but this candid shot is the best IMO. All they others are so dramatic and stern. This one captures the kid inside (who would have thought that about Landis). I mean really, if this isn't a classic kid pose at a ballgame...what is?

mr2686 04-12-2010 08:54 PM

Thanks Jimmy! I really like it and now I'll have to pick up that Landis autograph a little sooner than expected.

perezfan 04-12-2010 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up only one tonight, as prices went haywire on all the stuff I liked.

This one had sentimental value to me, as I am the same age as the kids in the picture. I lived in S.F. at the time, and was friends with a boy who lived next door to Mays (in this house!) I think he is pictured in the photo, with his arm through the rails.

Pretty amazing that Willie would let so many kids into his home... guess he wasn't as grumpy a fellow back in the day :rolleyes:

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 09:47 PM

Really neat photo Mark!

That certainly speaks volumes about Willie. I'm sure a few decades of us fans fawning over him at card shows, restaurants, after the games, and everywhere else you could possibly think of, took it's toll on the Say Hey Kid, and understandably so.

Like most everything in life, fame is also best suited for the young.

Forever Young 04-12-2010 11:02 PM

Picked a couple up including this one..

1927 Yankee infield prior to WS

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...927INFIELD.jpg

perezfan 04-12-2010 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great observations Jimmy... Mays had to be a good guy, to let so many kids into his home. Looks like they all received a free Auravision Record, to boot! Somewhat understandable how he must have became sullied over the years, with so many people fawning all over him.

Ben: What a majestic (and killer) image... many congrats on that one!

I didn't realize I won another one (forgot to file it in my "watched items"). This is a beautifully composed original George Burke photo of Dizzy Dean. I love the full body pose, as opposed to the more commonly seen Burke portraits...

Forever Young 04-12-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 799442)
Great observations Jimmy... Mays had to be a good guy, to let so many kids into his home. Looks like they all received a free Auravision Record, to boot! Somewhat understandable how he must have became sullied over the years, with so many people fawning all over him.

Ben: What a majestic (and killer) image... many congrats on that one!

I didn't realize I won another one (forgot to file it in my "watched items"). This is a beautifully composed original George Burke photo of Dizzy Dean. I love the full body pose, as opposed to the more commonly seen Burke portraits...

Thank you..however I do not thank you for winning this Dean as I was the under bidder :mad: Couldn't you have forgot to snipe it too? :D
Awesome photo! Congrats:)

thekingofclout 04-12-2010 11:46 PM

I got the one I was after...

2 Attachment(s)
so I'm as happy as I was over my last divorce!

Attachment 16998

Attachment 16999

Forever Young 04-12-2010 11:49 PM

Hahahahaha!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 799444)
so i'm as happy as i was over my last divorce!

Attachment 16998

Attachment 16999

-------------------
Perfect!

The fact that this photo is featured in the book "A Portrait of Baseball Photography" doesn't hurt..

perezfan 04-13-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 799443)
Thank you..however I do not thank you for winning this Dean as I was the under bidder :mad: Couldn't you have forgot to snipe it too? :D
Awesome photo! Congrats:)

Sorry Ben :o

I caught the Burke Dizzy Dean late, and couldn't believe I missed it the first time around. I bet I missed a ton of others, as there were just so many listed. I don't recall even seeing the one you posted above. If I did, I may have driven your price up a bit (weak attempt to provide you some consolation ;) )

Now I need to go back and see what it went for!

thekingofclout 04-13-2010 04:45 AM

Clemente Robs Pee Wee Reese...

3 Attachment(s)
1956 vintage original sequential TYPE I photograph of "The Great One" making a spectacular catch...

Attachment 17005

Attachment 17006

Notice written on the back of the photo is: Photo used in SPORT MAGAZINE AUG 1963 "The Importance of Pride in Sports"

So I searched out the issue and bought it. In the description was...

SPORT MAGAZINE (AUGUST 1963 VOL.36 #2, 35˘ COPY) - WILLIE MAYS COVER/STORY.

OTHER STORIES INCLUDE:

"THE AMERICAN LEAGUE MANAGERS' PLAYER RATINGS" - BY TIL FERDENZI.
"WILLIE MAYS: HIS LONELINESS AND FULFILLMENT" - BY ARNOLD HANO.

"THE IMPORTANCE OF PRIDE IN SPORTS" - BY MYRON COPE.

So I can't wait to see the Clemente sequential images in print. This would be the fastest I have ever found a companion piece.

Attachment 17007

3and2 04-13-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 799441)

Ben, what a great pick up! congratulations!

3and2 04-13-2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekingofclout (Post 799444)
so I'm as happy as I was over my last divorce!

Attachment 16998

Attachment 16999

Jimmy, awesome pick-up. I didn't even notice that picture during the auction. I need to slow down while searching through all those items. As of right now I've been outbid on a couple :mad: Anyway, no big deal, there is always tonight's closing.

I have to say some of the closing prices have been really high. Yee Auctions really get a premium price but he sure has a lot of gems.

ibuysportsephemera 04-13-2010 06:29 AM

Clemente in 1963 Sports Magazine

3 Attachment(s)
Jimmy...I hope I am not spoiling it for you...but attached are the photos.

Jeff

JasonL 04-13-2010 06:44 AM

I picked up a couple of cheap 1978 B&Ws

2 Attachment(s)
of my fave...Ozzie Smith.
Not sure what the value should have been on those, as they are fairly modern, but I got a kick out of them so I figure $45 for the pair is a nice addition.

the one I got COMPLETELY blown out of the water on in the last minute, was the 1947 shot of Jackie Robinson with Ben Chapman. Goes to show I don't understand the photo market, I suppose. I thought I had this with less than a minute to go, while it sat at $35 and my max was $75...went for $350 or something like that! Was hoping to land that one as it was relevant to an incident connected to my cousin that I would like to document more thoroughly someday soon. oh well.

sayhey24 04-13-2010 07:23 AM

Jimmy -- your collection is amazing and so are your recent pickups, but I absolutely love "so I'm as happy as I was over my last divorce"!

Greg

thegashousegang 04-13-2010 07:38 AM

Great pickups everyone. I came up short on everything last night - let's hope I do a bit better with tonight's fantastic items.

Forever Young 04-13-2010 07:54 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3and2 (Post 799471)
Ben, what a great pick up! congratulations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 799449)
Sorry Ben :o

I caught the Burke Dizzy Dean late, and couldn't believe I missed it the first time around. I bet I missed a ton of others, as there were just so many listed. I don't recall even seeing the one you posted above. If I did, I may have driven your price up a bit (weak attempt to provide you some consolation ;) )

Now I need to go back and see what it went for!

Anthony, thank you! I came up short on the Waner Bros photo but thought I got a this one for a great great price.

P-FAN,
The Dizzy was a GREAT pickup..no need to apologize at all as I am sure I have been on the other side of the coin and have NEVER been sorry;)
The Dizzy was a steal for that price!
Good luck to all tonight! There have been some GREAT prIces realized but man...some absolute steals too(i.e.. 1954 Jackie Robinson with bats, Ted Williams' ".400 hands", clemente type 1s UNDER 100 bucks..etc..

mr2686 04-13-2010 07:55 AM

This is just another example, to me, of what makes the hobby so much fun. With a limited amount of funds to use for this auction, and several great items to purchase...all going off at different times, you really have to narrow down what you want to bid on and come up with a strategy. I determined that I had to pass on several I would have liked to have bid on yesterday so that I could make higher bids on ones I REALLY REALLY want today. The downside of course is that I may be outbid today which leaves me out in the cold, but that's all part of the game! :)

perezfan 04-13-2010 08:45 AM

It is showing us that nothing even matters until that final 7 seconds of bidding. It's silly to get your hopes up, based on the first 99.99% of time elapsed.

Jimmy... your Clemente sequential shot and Aaron/Mantle photo are both to die for. I had a snipe in on the Clemente that never even registered. I'm very glad it went to you, as the companion Sport Magazine is a killer. I can't believe how quickly you were able to find/acquire it... big time congrats!

GKreindler 04-13-2010 11:05 AM

Mark, GREAT Gehrig shot. Ya gotta love something from the '37 Series, especially if it involves Gehrig and that awesome shadow of the second deck in the Polo Grounds. I LOVE the action and light in that one.

Ben, as I mentioned yesterday, that was one hell of a bargain. A more formidable infield I've never seen. A more formidable photo of said formidable infield I've never seen, either.

Jimmy, once I saw that Clemente sequential get posted, I thought to myself, 'there's one Jimmy's gonna win'. I just followed the formula that I learned early on in our friendship: Clemente + sequential photography = VERY happy Jimmy.

Mike, that shot of Landis is sweet. I love those shots of him with his chin on the rail. Very iconic!!

Mark (perezfan), any shot of Willie with kids is just grand. It seems like that's when that awesome boyish smile really comes out!!

Lordstan 04-13-2010 11:15 AM

Graig,
Thanks.
I like his action shots as well. I have another from that series around the bag a first with a different Giant player running.
I bid on some others last night too, but it wasn't meant to be.
Perhaps tonight will see a few more successes.
Mark

thekingofclout 04-13-2010 01:08 PM

NOT AT ALL Jeff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 799477)
Jimmy...I hope I am not spoiling it for you...but attached are the photos.

Jeff

What a fantastic layout, even better than I had hoped for! :eek:

I must be a good boy, cause Santa came early for me! :D

Forever Young 04-13-2010 08:10 PM

The Chairman of the Board

Type 1 used for the 1954 Topps Card

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/ford.jpghttp://i947.photobucket.com/albums/a...rDjBKQrhNv.jpg

I bet someone else has a nice photo they picked up used for a baseball card...Anyone? Anyone?...Bu...Jimmy?

thekingofclout 04-13-2010 09:03 PM

Thanks Guys, for all the kind words...

3 Attachment(s)
Alright Ben, here it is, by the legendary lensman Barney Stein...

Attachment 17070Attachment 17071

Attachment 17072

perezfan 04-13-2010 11:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jimmy...

Can't believe your phenomenal acquisitions... that is not the frosting on the cake... it's the cake itself! Mucho congrats!

I struck out the entire night, except for a big win at the end... this was my second favorite piece of all Henry's offerings (and it took every penny of my snipe to get it).

I just can't believe that a photographer was in position to capture this intriguing image...

sox1903wschamp 04-14-2010 12:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Spur of the moment pickup for me. Helps with a display I am working on centered around the greatest Red Sox outfield of all time. Nice auction by the way.

mr2686 04-14-2010 05:44 AM

I totally bombed last night. Was the underbidder on the Sandy Amoros "catch"...and was really stupid as I fell asleep before I bid on Mazeroski's homerun. It went cheap and I'm really kicking myself.

Lordstan 04-14-2010 05:50 AM

Outstanding

Everyone got some beauty's. Congratulations to all!

Jimmy,
Your acquisitions were spectacular!! That Robinson is an incredible image.

I picked up two more last night as well. 1 vintage, 1 not.

Lou and Bobby Lowe. First NL and AL men to hit 4hrs in a game.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hBobbyLowe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...obbyLowebk.jpg

and Tom Terrific from 1967
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...u/Seaverfr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Seaverbkfr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Seavertag.jpg

Some stuff went higher than I thought, but there were alot of deals to be had as well. Wish I had the money to buy them all.:D

Mark

bcbgcbrcb 04-14-2010 06:00 AM

Well, I was 0 for 2, lost out on the Al Kaline 1953 rookie photo and the 1930 Detroit Tigers team photo w/Greenberg.

Lordstan 04-14-2010 06:28 AM

Ozzie

Mike,
I just saw you posted the Ozzie sots you won.
I like them.
You can't go wrong with rookie year shots of a HOFer.
You know they're not vintage but thinking about it, they are 32yrs old.
Plus you gotta love the sideburns.:D
Congrats
Mark

timzcardz 04-14-2010 06:29 AM

Nothing Pre-war, but I am happy with the two that I did pick up, and real happy with the prices.

Ripken autographed 3000 Hit display:

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...HitDisplay.jpg

Moose Skowron-Billy Hunter from 07/11/1958:

http://www.cal-lector.com/TimzCollec...-1958-7-11.jpg

Ladder7 04-14-2010 06:55 AM

Nuttin for me. Some nice stuff from ol henry this round I see. Partcularly the '27 infield, Lou with Bobby Lowe and that Robby.

mr2686 04-14-2010 06:56 AM

Mark, great pickup on the Gehrig/Lowe photo. Those are the type I really love...multiple players with an interesting story/theme to them. 4 hr's in one game is something else! Lowe looks like he's about 80 but still looks like he could play...they don't make players like that anymore.

deadballera 04-14-2010 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
picked up a couple of photo's last night...

Roger Peckingpaugh

deadballera 04-14-2010 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot one..... must have been a little DIZZY

mayx2 04-14-2010 02:59 PM

Very nice pickups,I got outbid on everything ! Lou

3and2 04-14-2010 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a fun pick up for me, since i grew up cheering for this wild & crazy team as a kid. Vintage 1986 original photo depicting the World Champion New York Mets. 8” x 10”, 1st generation photograph with excellent contrast and crisp clarity. This is roughly as modern as I get when collecting. it's hard to believe next year will be their 25th anniversary.

roarfrom34 04-14-2010 09:11 PM

Mid 1980's shot of baseball's Ironman avoiding a slide by one of baseball's palindrome names.....

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ipken/ayee.jpg