Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about Auction House (Old Judge) returns? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149978)

bobbyw8469 04-13-2012 08:03 PM

Question about Auction House (Old Judge) returns?

I recently won some raw cards from the Old Judge auction house. 3 raw cards were crammed into one card saver damaging the bottom left corners of all 3 cards. Two of the cards were also severly overgraded, with the cards having surface wrinkles and being described as VG/EX and the other card appearing to be trimmed and described as excellent. My question is this - the seller states to have a return policy. Has any buyers ever taken him up on this policy and how easy is it to get your money back? Thank you for your time....

Pup6913 04-13-2012 08:34 PM

Have you contacted then yet? Might be the best idea first before posting here IMO.

Didn't the auction have pics of the cards? Sounds like a bit of buyers remorse?

bobbyw8469 04-13-2012 08:49 PM

The auction had pics but you couldn't enlarge them. Of course there is buyers remorse when a card is described as EX and is trimmed?!?! And surface wrinkles?!?! Gimme a break.....there is no excuse for poor packaging and poor descriptions.

egbeachley 04-13-2012 09:14 PM

In my experience, that's typical of an Old Judge auction and why I won't bid with them anymore. But most people on this Board like the owner and give him lots of leeway. Plus I do think he will accept returns.

jcmtiger 04-13-2012 09:49 PM

Why don't you just contact lew, instead of posting on the board. I'm sure he will work with you.

Joe

oldjudge 04-13-2012 09:49 PM

Why are you whining on here and not contacting Lew?

benchod 04-13-2012 09:50 PM

Good luck
Time to put some popcorn on :)

oldjudge 04-13-2012 09:51 PM

Joe---simultaneous sanity

matty6 04-13-2012 10:52 PM

Won a trimmed Allen and Ginter Buck Ewing years ago. When I asked for my money back, I got a rude response and that I should have known something when it went for cheap. I'll never buy from them again.

bobbyw8469 04-14-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Why are you whining on here and not contacting Lew?
]
I apologize. I didn't realize wanting what I paid for was considered whining.

I posted here because I wanted to get a feel for if it was worth it to me or not to "bother" Lew with a return request. Judging by the responses that I have received here and in PM, I have decided to just suck it up and take the loss. No big deal. And as far as blocking me goes, that is fine, because I doubt I will ever bid there again. Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. I have been burned twice now. There will not be a third time.

bbcard1 04-14-2012 08:35 AM

A return issue many years ago is why I take a pass on buying from Lew...and in all fairness, the feeling is mutual. If you want to keep working with him, sucking it up is the way to go. While I respect what he has done, I have not found a problem finding people to buy cards from and I am sure he's found folks to sell his to.

Wymers Auction 04-14-2012 10:02 AM

Robert I will say in a gentler way. Contact Lew you cannot begin to assume what they will or will not do if you do not give them the chance to make it right. I am also an auctioneer and most times I am able to make good on any problem that exists, but if I am being tried in a public courtroom where I am not present there is nothing that I can do about that. Does that make sense?

Runscott 04-14-2012 10:34 AM

I have bid in many of his auctions and the only time I had an issue with a lot, he was great to work with. Problem was resolved and I continued bidding in his future auctions.

Everyone's different, but I would have either contacted him first before posting here, did a search and found someone who had bid on his auctions before and contacted them by PM first, or posted here without putting his name in the post.

FrankWakefield 04-14-2012 10:58 AM

I reckon it was about 25 years ago, or maybe a few more, when I first did business with Mr. Lipset. Over the years I've maybe sent 2 things back. He's always been first rate in all of our dealings. I used to wear him out with questions, he'd patiently tell me about a card over the telephone. I have to think that if you contact him that you'll get something worked out.

I hope anyone that sees the thread listing will read through it to see that many of us have had good dealings with Mr. Lipset.

gnaz01 04-14-2012 12:24 PM

I won a lot of 2 cards in Lew's past auction a couple of weeks ago. I sent him a regular old check in the mail last Monday, and received the cards today. They were both placed in a single top loader, and arrived perfecly fine. I didn't need a blown up picture to see them, and he stated in his description that the backs were clean, and they are fine. I would buy from Lew again, a true pioneer in our hobby.

bobbyw8469 04-14-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

They were both placed in a single top loader, and arrived perfecly fine.
Consider yourself lucky then. I received 3 raw cards in one top loader, and they DID NOT arrive perfectly fine.

Runscott 04-14-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 983940)
Consider yourself lucky then. I received 3 raw cards in one top loader, and they DID NOT arrive perfectly fine.

And the solution for the problem was fairly simple - call Lew and tell him. I know this works, because I did it once. I sent the card backs, he agreed with me, he issued a prompt full refund. It was simple.