Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Is Jeff Bagwell a Hall of Famer?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240661)

JollyElm 06-05-2017 06:50 PM

Is Jeff Bagwell a Hall of Famer??

I know some people will click on this thread ready to engage in a battle of WAR stats (ugh!) over whether or not he should be in The Hall, but I actually mean the question quite literally.

Jeff Bagwell was voted into the HOF, but he hasn't yet been inducted, so does one in fact become an official HOF'er when the votes are counted up or does the player have to wait until he is formerly enshrined as a member on a hot summer afternoon in Cooperstown?? So, on June 5, 2017 is Jeff Bagwell a Hall of Famer? Again, I'm speaking LITERALLY. (And, no, there isn't a specific reason why I'm asking. It is just interesting to me.)

clydepepper 06-05-2017 09:27 PM

I would have to believe that those elected are Members as soon as the voting is announced.

The induction is only a ceremony denoting their having been voted in.

The time between the announcement and the induction provides time for travel plans to be made for both the honorees and any fans who wish to attend.
It is also during this time that the honorees craft their speeches.

dgo71 06-05-2017 11:43 PM

It also gives time for the plaques to be sculpted. But yes, as soon as the votes are announced the inductees are considered Hall of Famers.

frankbmd 06-06-2017 08:25 AM

In other words, if an inductee is abducted before his induction is conducted, is his plaque still constructed or simply deducted?

D. Bergin 06-06-2017 09:55 AM

To answer the real question. No, it is not a productive use of anyone's time to harass Ebay sellers who use the phrase "Jeff Bagwell" and "HOF" in the same title or description.

:D

Sean 06-08-2017 05:54 PM

You become a member of the Hall of Fame when you are inducted. I had this explained to me by Robin Yount when I asked him to add HOF 99 to his autograph after he was elected.

vthobby 06-08-2017 11:01 PM

Bagwell....

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1668037)
In other words, if an inductee is abducted before his induction is conducted, is his plaque still constructed or simply deducted?

Frank,

If an inductee is abducted then those responsible have misconducted. If he is not found in time then he will be re-inducted at which time he is found. Now if it is a natural disaster and the Earth's plates have subducted and caused the inductee's HOF plaque to be superconducted then I believe they just wait......
until stuff gets back to normal. :eek: :D :cool:

Peace, Mike

EvilKing00 06-16-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1667881)
I know some people will click on this thread ready to engage in a battle of WAR stats (ugh!) over whether or not he should be in The Hall, but I actually mean the question quite literally.

Jeff Bagwell was voted into the HOF, but he hasn't yet been inducted, so does one in fact become an official HOF'er when the votes are counted up or does the player have to wait until he is formerly enshrined as a member on a hot summer afternoon in Cooperstown?? So, on June 5, 2017 is Jeff Bagwell a Hall of Famer? Again, I'm speaking LITERALLY. (And, no, there isn't a specific reason why I'm asking. It is just interesting to me.)

Imo as soon as the vote is counted

bravos4evr 06-17-2017 07:32 PM

I believe the rule is that one is not in the HOF until induction (because this is when the plaque and all that are unveiled for the public)

But, once you are voted in you are in. If Bagwell stroked out tomorrow they would still induct him.

frankbmd 06-17-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1672183)
I believe the rule is that one is not in the HOF until induction (because this is when the plaque and all that are unveiled for the public)

But, once you are voted in you are in. If Bagwell stroked out tomorrow they would still induct him.

Jeff will rest easier tonight knowing this.:eek::eek::eek: