Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Original or Repro? Lajoie Red Devil Tobacco Poster (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191881)

Bumpus Jones 08-04-2014 07:11 PM

Original or Repro? Lajoie Red Devil Tobacco Poster

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me if this is real or not? Measures 10" x 15". Thanks.

MGHPro 08-04-2014 07:40 PM

doesn't look good to me.
Matt

bigj7489 08-06-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGHPro (Post 1306098)
doesn't look good to me.
Matt

Not at all disputing, but how can you tell? What stands out to you?

William Farrell 08-06-2014 06:04 PM

This type of piece really has to be examined in-hand. The thickness, the number of sandwiched layers, or plys, of the poster, magnification of the printing, etc.

A scan from one perspective alone, such as this, should not serve as definitive evidence for or against authenticity.

The majority of mono-chromatic inked, paper collectibles have this in common. Some, like the Homogenized Bond cards and TCMA minor league cards have been knocked off so many times that a knowledge of and in hand examination of the paper is essential for a determination.

sporteq 08-06-2014 06:09 PM

Looks like a fake. Overall condition looks to good to be true, mainly the surface. I personally don't like the sheen that comes off the text. IMO its a fantacy piece.

Albert

William Farrell 08-06-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporteq (Post 1306938)
Looks like a fake. Overall condition looks to good to be true, mainly the surface. I personally don't like the sheen that comes off this poster. IMO its a fantacy piece.

Albert

Could very well be, Albert, and that's my first inclination too, but I see enough there to not completely eliminate it from possibly being genuine pending confirmation by physical examination, for which there's no substitute on a piece like this to really dial in on an opinion.

William Farrell 08-06-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones (Post 1306085)
Can anyone tell me if this is real or not? Measures 10" x 15". Thanks.

Bumpus, is there any background story to this piece?

murphusa 08-07-2014 09:05 AM

Common poster which first popped up on ebay and the flea markets in 2006. Can be punched in bundles of 100 for $259.00 at northeast repo wholesalers

William Farrell 08-07-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1307138)
Common poster which first popped up on ebay and the flea markets in 2006. Can be punched in bundles of 100 for $259.00 at northeast repo wholesalers

Not surprising. Every valuable black and white or sepia and white paper sports collectible from cards to posters, post cards to exhibit cards, etc, seems to have been knocked off en masse at one time or another.

What's different about this is that they used a multi-ply material instead of the usual one to two plys.

drcy 08-07-2014 11:41 PM

On these types of things, take a 20x+ loupe or magnifying glass and examine the text. If the edge of the text has a thin dark rim around the edge, that is consistent with vintage letterpress printing. Without going into the print technicals, vintage letterpress involving pressing the ink so that there would be a dark rim at the edge where the ink was pressed to. The rim is not seen with the naked eye, but is usually clear under good magnification. Modern lithography and computer prints won't have the rim.

Simpler things to look for are that antique prints (and photos) tend to be bone dry and often pass the musty smell test.