Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC Feedback on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247040)

Snapolit1 11-03-2017 11:05 AM

PWCC Feedback on ebay

Some dude bought 35 hockey cards in the last month from PWCC and gave 35 neutral feedbacks with the same message. EXPENSIVE SHIPPING.

Pretty good kick in the chops. One on hand the shipping is disclosed. On the other hand, you could probably put 35 cards in one $19 box. Who knows what the story is but interesting.

And, hell, it's been at least a week since the last PWCC thread.

On a related note, am I the only one that thinks that high end consignors are done with these guys? I closely follow Gehrig and Ruth cards and they seems to be getting the 4s and 5s these days and not the better ones. Hell, you would have to be insane to give them a $100,000 card. Zero marketing. Charge you. No catalog.

rats60 11-03-2017 11:53 AM

Revealing shipping cost up front is irrelevant. If 2 people charge you 10.00 shipping and one ships priority mail with insurance and the second sends the card regular mail without insurance, are you going leave the same feedback? Shouldn't you receive appropriate shipping service based on what you pay?

vintagetoppsguy 11-03-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1716584)
Revealing shipping cost up front is irrelevant. If 2 people charge you 10.00 shipping and one ships priority mail with insurance and the second sends the card regular mail without insurance, are you going leave the same feedback? Shouldn't you receive appropriate shipping service based on what you pay?

But shipping service is also revealed up front.

savedfrommyspokes 11-03-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1716588)
But shipping service is also revealed up front.

It appears that the individual item s/h rates are revealed, but the "combined" s/h rate is not specifically stated.

From PWCC's listing:

Combined Domestic Shipping
PWCC Auctions offers combined shipping for multiple items won. Shipping discounts are significant. To take advantage of the combined shipping rate, we ask that buyers refrain from remitting payment on any items won until all the items that he or she are bidding on have closed. PWCC will then issue an invoice with the combined shipping rate.

Sure, the buyer could have asked before bidding about the combined rates, but, most sellers reveal their specifics for combined s/h in their listings. Or, maybe the buyer did inquire but did not receive a response back before the auction ended.

mechanicalman 11-03-2017 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Snapolit1; Zero marketing. Charge you. No catalog.[/QUOTE]

Steve:
Do you hit 'preview' and read your posts before you hit send?

I agree with your observation that they don't sell many 6 figure cards (although REA 'just' sold 8 or 9, so how many do you expect in a PWCC monthly auction?), but your premise is so off base.

Zero marketing? Do you see the banner ad above you? Ever see their print ad in SMR? Their occasional home page banner on eBay? Those cannot be cheap.

Charge you? Every AH "charges you." You have to realize that whether it's a seller's fee or a buyer's premium, the margin is taken from the seller. You get that right?

No catalog. Sure they don't have a catalog, but when was the last time a printed catalog was critical to driving sales? Perhaps when Sears was last relevant?

Look, I'm not a staunch defender of PWCC, but shouldn't you at least have your facts right if you want to go after them yet again?

P.S. Agree that their shipping is crazy high now, so let's end on that note.

samosa4u 11-03-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1716576)

On a related note, am I the only one that thinks that high end consignors are done with these guys? I closely follow Gehrig and Ruth cards and they seems to be getting the 4s and 5s these days and not the better ones.

Oh, big deal. Brent has 600 trillion cards sent to him each month anyways

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...xvs3gb7jpg.jpg

Thromdog 11-03-2017 12:35 PM

Each of the lots they offer has a shipping grid at the bottom that shows the cost to the buyer, hadn't seen anyone mention that so thought I would throw that in.

I bought 4 items from them in their last auction and the total shipping cost was less than their published amount shown.

I have to say though.....I've never been impressed with their shipping methods. Not as solid as I would normally like.

pokerplyr80 11-03-2017 12:42 PM

People like that are what's wrong with feedback ratings and review sites like yelp. Rather than working something out directly with a seller or company they just go online and try to hurt their business. This seems like a simple issue that could have been resolved with one call or email. Something like "hey, I just bought 35 hockey cards in your auction. Can you combine shipping charges and send me an invoice?"

savedfrommyspokes 11-03-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromdog (Post 1716598)
Each of the lots they offer has a shipping grid at the bottom that shows the cost to the buyer, hadn't seen anyone mention that so thought I would throw that in.

In one of the listing's in question, the s/h rate grid has the following header:

INDIVIDUAL CARDS SHIPPED TO THE U.S.

I have not won multiple single cards from them at one time, so I do not know if this grid applies to multiple single card shipments or not.

Stampsfan 11-03-2017 01:04 PM

First, I find their shipping charges to be a little excessive. $15 shipping on (say) a $50 card seems a little excessive to me. I also recall making a mental note at some point that their shipping charges appeared to have gotten more expensive than I previously recalled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1716600)
People like that are what's wrong with feedback ratings and review sites like yelp. Rather than working something out directly with a seller or company they just go online and try to hurt their business. This seems like a simple issue that could have been resolved with one call or email. Something like "hey, I just bought 35 hockey cards in your auction. Can you combine shipping charges and send me an invoice?"

Unfortunately, that's the internet today. You can leave (positive or) negative feedback for anyone on Google, Yelp, or a host of places. And there are no checks and balances to know if the review is from an actual customer.

At least on eBay, you know the person leaving feedback (likely, possibly?) had made a purchase from the seller.

ALR-bishop 11-03-2017 01:06 PM

I am just a buyer on eBay or in auctions but if the shipping for the item is clearly stated, applied as stated, and arrives in a fairly timely manner in the condition pictured and or described I give positive. If it arrives in a PWE undamaged I still go positive but note that in comments. If the seller does not mention combined shipping or is unclear how it is applied, I view it as my responsibility to ask if it matters to me. That's just me, it sure dies not bother me if others think differently

Would need to know more about interaction between seller and buyer before and after the sales to evaluate reasonableness of the feedback given

Sean 11-03-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1716595)

Charge you? Every AH "charges you." You have to realize that whether it's a seller's fee or a buyer's premium, the margin is taken from the seller. You get that right?

I'm surprised when we have these AH threads how some people just don't seem to understand this.

the-illini 11-03-2017 01:38 PM

I bid on an item last night from a PWCC auction for the first time in forever it seems like; this morning I got an email from Ebay that someone had retracted their bid and I was now the high bidder on the item again.

Back to not bidding on PWCC auctions I guess!

OsFan 11-03-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1716600)

It is annoying but at this point I doubt they will be affected in anyway by those neutral feedbacks.

Leon 11-03-2017 01:59 PM

PWCC spends about 2x more than any other company in marketing on this forum. I suspect they spend a lot in other places too. A lot of collectors don't want catalogs nowadays (or rarely open and look at them) although admittedly consignors want them much more often. Have you seen their latest offering on ebay? Some pretty sweet 5 figure cards...not sure about 6 figure but most of us don't buy those. Otherwise, I am sure you said something that was more correct.

bobbyw8469 11-03-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1716631)
PWCC spends about 2x more than any other company in marketing on this forum. I suspect they spend a lot in other places too. A lot of collectors don't want catalogs nowadays (or rarely open and look at them) although admittedly consignors want them much more often. Have you seen their latest offering on ebay? Some pretty sweet 5 figure cards...not sure about 6 figure but most of us don't buy those. Otherwise, I am sure you said something that was more correct.

LOL....there was a shred of truth somewhere in that PWCC rantings. I'm sure there shipping has gone up because their overhead has gone up. It is rare for a seller to charge less than $5 now a days. And imagine, back in the day, sellers used to get to stars dinged for charging that much shipping. Meanwhile, I would love to pay that kind of shipping charge....

Snapolit1 11-03-2017 03:15 PM

I agree with your observation that they don't sell many 6 figure cards (although REA 'just' sold 8 or 9, so how many do you expect in a PWCC monthly auction?), but your premise is so off base.

Ok, thanks.

Zero marketing? Do you see the banner ad above you? Ever see their print ad in SMR? Their occasional home page banner on eBay? Those cannot be cheap.

I don't feel saying "worthy of consideration" in a two line write up is marketing. Take a look at what Heritage just dropped off and tell me which you'd prefer for a nice card. How about showing up the floor of the NY Stock exchange to pimp high end items. That's marketing. Saw what you want about Goldin, but that dude is a marketer. Yes, nice they run a banner ad here.

I do. I think paying them to do basically nothing is a little ridiculous. Mistake I did make once.

No catalog. Sure they don't have a catalog, but when was the last time a printed catalog was critical to driving sales? Perhaps when Sears was last relevant?

Call Heritage and tell them they are wasting their money. I assume they will want to look into it. Ditto Christies, the word's largest auction house.

Look, I'm not a staunch defender of PWCC, but shouldn't you at least have your facts right if you want to go after them yet again?

P.S. Agree that their shipping is crazy high now, so let's end on that note.

Thanks.

nsaddict 11-03-2017 05:08 PM

I purchased 10 graded cards from PWCC last week. The shipping is 4.00 per listing. I always wait for a combined total, and was charged 12.00 which I feel is reasonable. Did the buyer wait or pay right after the auction? I would be curious to know his shipping total? My feeling is the neutrals were unwarranted. Earlier in the year, I won an item from an AH. The box was about the size that would hold a skateboard and weighed under 5 pounds (valued around 1K). Was charged 70 which I felt was quite steep.

CMIZ5290 11-03-2017 05:09 PM

I'm amazed that a thread pertaining PWCC has come up:rolleyes: You can say what you want, but Brent just keeps on rolling to the bank....

RedsFan1941 11-03-2017 05:20 PM

THERE'S the post I've been waiting for. let the games begin.

jfkheat 11-03-2017 07:45 PM

The 38 cards added up to well over $5000. I wonder if the buyer took the insurance on that much into consideration before posting the neutral feedbacks.
James

drcy 11-03-2017 07:59 PM

A local restaurant owner said to take Yelp with a grain of salt, because his restaurant got a negative review the week before it opened.

Peter_Spaeth 11-03-2017 08:48 PM

I have had many issues with pwcc but this one seems pretty far down the list. If you are that worried about shipping charges just move on.

jp1216 11-04-2017 06:44 AM

35 hockey cards - probably shipped to Canada? That would be expensive, but the buyer should've known what to expect.

Exhibitman 11-04-2017 07:37 AM

Shipping costs with eBay. You have to ship via a method that tracks or face the inevitable sleazy buyer who will claim they never got the card. Right now Ebay tracked shipping costs $2.61 for a graded card. Plus materials. I charge $3 and basically break even. If insurance is needed it will cost even more.

Hey, that was my 6000th post. Wish I’d used it on something more auspicious.

bobbyw8469 11-04-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1716819)
Shipping costs with eBay. You have to ship via a method that tracks or face the inevitable sleazy buyer who will claim they never got the card. Right now Ebay tracked shipping costs $2.61 for a graded card. Plus materials. I charge $3 and basically break even. If insurance is needed it will cost even more.

Hey, that was my 6000th post. Wish I’d used it on something more auspicious.

If it is shipped Internationally, the tracking and insurance jumps SUBSTANTIALLY.

Batpig 11-04-2017 09:41 AM

Leon - maybe it's time for a new forum devoted to Steve bashing PWCC. You can call it "Unworthy of Attention".

slipk1068 11-04-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1716857)
Leon - maybe it's time for a new forum devoted to Steve bashing PWCC. You can call it "Unworthy of Attention".

Are you an employee? consignor? or just a friend?

Stampsfan 11-05-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp1216 (Post 1716802)
35 hockey cards - probably shipped to Canada? That would be expensive, but the buyer should've known what to expect.

If I were a thin skinned politically correct tree hugging racially charged full time protester, I might take offence to the profiling implied in this statement.

;)

Leon 11-05-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipk1068 (Post 1716969)
Are you an employee? consignor? or just a friend?

Maybe none of the above. Maybe he is someone who is just tired of all of the griping about one particular company? I would call him a board member.

slipk1068 11-05-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1717077)
Maybe none of the above. Maybe he is someone who is just tired of all of the griping about one particular company? I would call him a board member.

When it comes to PWCC, you're as objective as anyone.

Leon 11-05-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipk1068 (Post 1717080)
When it comes to PWCC, you're as objective as anyone.

It's not really a secret that they advertise here. Most intelligent people take that into account already.

CMIZ5290 11-10-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1717082)
It's not really a secret that they advertise here. Most intelligent people take that into account already.

People are constantly complaining about these guys, PWCC, Goldin, Mastro, Goodwin, Heritage....So what's the answer guys?

ullmandds 11-10-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1718873)
People are constantly complaining about these guys, PWCC, Goldin, Mastro, Goodwin, Heritage....So what's the answer guys?

to what question?

CMIZ5290 11-10-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1718874)
to what question?

You know Pete.. What's your opinion?

ullmandds 11-10-2017 06:44 PM

While I may have purchased from these sellers in the past...i don't deal with any of the aforementioned purveyors anymore...that's my answer.