Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scanner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275002)

Ben Yourg 10-22-2019 06:37 PM

Scanner

I went to Office Depot today,and asked to see scanners,
with the CCD element.
He didn't know what I was talking about.
He even looked it up on his "Hand Held"device?
He's been in that department,quite a while.
When I walked in,it looked like "Nerdville".
But I guess not?

Ronnie73 10-23-2019 12:07 AM

It is surprisingly difficult to sometimes find that information. Even when looking at the scanner specs. One easy way to tell is to find a scanner that is made to scan negatives or film slides. They need the CCD to scan the depth of the slides correctly.

GoldenAge50s 10-23-2019 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 1925640)
It is surprisingly difficult to sometimes find that information. Even when looking at the scanner specs. One easy way to tell is to find a scanner that is made to scan negatives or film slides. They need the CCD to scan the depth of the slides correctly.

I have found that to be very true! Finding the specs does not always tell you the scanning element anymore. In fact, it is getting harder & harder to find a flat bed scanner at all!

toledo_mudhen 10-23-2019 04:44 AM

There's a reason why they're working at Office Depot

Ben Yourg 10-23-2019 06:37 AM

scanners

Thank you all,for your help.

jchcollins 10-23-2019 08:00 AM

I don't think the staff at places like Office Depot have much cause to know a lot about scanners anymore - they aren't as popular / necessary for pictures and things like that as they were 20 years ago. My local Office Depot had a pretty poor selection, I actually wound up ordering the one I wanted (an Epson v370) off of Amazon.

CW 10-23-2019 09:39 AM

I posted this last month in another thread. It may be helpful here. Also see this thread for more suggestions:

As of 9/23/2019, I just checked the Canon site and it appears they no longer make the Canoscan 5600F, the 9000F, or the 9000F Mark II. It looks like Canon only makes LiDE scanners which do not work well with slabbed cards.

You can find one 9000F and one 9000F Mark II on Amazon right now, but they are ridiculously overpriced.

For us card geeks, the Epson V series may be the only good option, other than finding a used Canon on eBay.

frankbmd 10-23-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1925698)
I posted this last month in another thread. It may be helpful here. Also see this thread for more suggestions:

As of 9/23/2019, I just checked the Canon site and it appears they no longer make the Canoscan 5600F, the 9000F, or the 9000F Mark II. It looks like Canon only makes LiDE scanners which do not work well with slabbed cards.

You can find one 9000F and one 9000F Mark II on Amazon right now, but they are ridiculously overpriced.

For us card geeks, the Epson V series may be the only good option, other than finding a used Canon on eBay.

I purchased my Canoscan 5600F after the release of the 9000F and it was ridiculously underpriced.

jchcollins 10-23-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1925698)

I have nothing but positive feedback for the Epson v370. It works beautifully with cards, including for thicker cases and slabs.

CW 10-23-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1925701)
I purchased my Canoscan 5600F after the release of the 9000F and it was ridiculously underpriced.

Preposterous!

Incredulous!

Ludicrous!

heh

:cool:

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-23-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1925701)

If you have independent computer stores in your area I found 3 canon9000's last year. Shoulda bought them all, but love the one I have.

the 'stache 10-24-2019 02:08 AM

My Canoscan 8400F is older than Queen Elizabeth, but it still gives me very nice scans. I'm not suggesting you get that one, because, again, it's older than the Queen of England. But Canon, with their Canoscan line, has had a really nice run of putting out scanners with remarkable quality and durability.

This was scanned over 5 years ago with the 8400F. It has the CCD element, so whatever graded card you might get, a PSA, SGC or a Beckett, it can handle it without any drop in quality because of slab depth.

http://net54baseball.com/picture.php...ictureid=15994

I'm going to get back into collecting baseball cards again here pretty soon, and when I upgrade my scanner, it will be another Canon.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-24-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1925920)
My Canoscan 8400F is older than Queen Elizabeth, but it still gives me very nice scans. I'm not suggesting you get that one, because, again, it's older than the Queen of England. But Canon, with their Canoscan line, has had a really nice run of putting out scanners with remarkable quality and durability.

This was scanned over 5 years ago with the 8400F. It has the CCD element, so whatever graded card you might get, a PSA, SGC or a Beckett, it can handle it without any drop in quality because of slab depth.

http://net54baseball.com/picture.php...ictureid=15994

I'm going to get back into collecting baseball cards again here pretty soon, and when I upgrade my scanner, it will be another Canon.

Hate to break it to you Bill, but take good care of your old one. Canon doesn't make a model with a CCD element any more.

Leon 10-27-2019 05:26 PM

The more skill the store personnel have the more they make per hour in turn leads to higher cost items. The ROI for that expertise probably isn't good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1925677)
I don't think the staff at places like Office Depot have much cause to know a lot about scanners anymore - they aren't as popular / necessary for pictures and things like that as they were 20 years ago. My local Office Depot had a pretty poor selection, I actually wound up ordering the one I wanted (an Epson v370) off of Amazon.

lowpopper 10-29-2019 06:01 PM

Just get a CanoScan and call it a day. 5600F, 8800F, 9000F etc.

:cool::cool::cool:

Ben Yourg 11-04-2019 06:13 AM

Scanners

I have an "Envy"5055 (scanner-printer).It usually takes terrible scans,of graded
cards.So,I bought an "Epson 370",so I can scan the graded cards.
The "370" has no printer,as you know,
If I still want to print,can I hook them together,in tandem?(lack of a better
word)
Or,do I have to plug them in,one at a time?

Thanks,
"No Tech Ben"
again

jchcollins 11-04-2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Yourg (Post 1928307)
I have an "Envy"5055 (scanner-printer).It usually takes terrible scans,of graded
cards.So,I bought an "Epson 370",so I can scan the graded cards.
The "370" has no printer,as you know,
If I still want to print,can I hook them together,in tandem?(lack of a better
word)
Or,do I have to plug them in,one at a time?

Thanks,
"No Tech Ben"
again

Scan the card and save the file to the desktop or other designated file on your computer. Then print it as you would normally anything else from your computer. I would think with a USB port or other way of connecting, you should be able to have both the scanner and the printer connected to the computer at the same time.