Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ali near death (Ali has died at 74) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223499)

Stonepony 06-03-2016 02:03 PM

Ali near death (Ali has died at 74)

News services are reporting that The Greatest is on life support. My childhood hero...sad

ksabet 06-03-2016 03:05 PM

Where did you see that?

Checked ESPN, CNN, FOXnews, AP, and CNNSI.

Only CNNSI said anything and it said he was in fair condition

Leon 06-03-2016 03:08 PM

Sad news.....A quick Google search shows this might not be the first time folks have thought he could be nearing the end. Hopefully he can fight back from this too. But Parkinsons and his other issues might make it impossible. Float like a butterfly....sweet memories of watching him in the ring.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world...-a3263606.html

Stonepony 06-03-2016 03:13 PM

I hope I jumped the gun...

bigtrain 06-03-2016 04:03 PM

An exceptional athlete and an amazing person. Praying for his recovery but should it be his time...may he float like a butterfly.

rdwyer 06-03-2016 04:28 PM

I heard something briefly on the news this morning. Sounded minor to me. Hang in there champ.

Brian Van Horn 06-03-2016 04:52 PM

The respiratory issue is obviously concerning. My father had Parkinson's and it was pneumonia which ultimately caused his passing.

xplainer 06-03-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtrain (Post 1546349)
An exceptional athlete and an amazing person. Praying for his recovery but should it be his time...may he float like a butterfly.

Who are you praying to? God or his god.

Sorry, Ali (Cassius Clay), Malcomn X, and such, does not sit well with me. If you look more into his life, he is not the American hero everyone embraces.

I don't wish his death, but, I am prepared on how the media protrays his life.

But, to each his own.

-Jimmy Knowles

Republicaninmass 06-03-2016 05:27 PM

C'mon

Everyone loves you when your dead

Touch'EmAll 06-03-2016 05:38 PM

Memory

Years back, when he lit the Olympic flame - one of the most choked up moments of my life. I remember i couldn't hold back the tears.

khkco4bls 06-03-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1546381)

Sorry, Ali (Cassius Clay), Malcomn X, and such, does not sit well with me. If you look more into his life, he is not the American hero everyone embraces.

But, to each his own.

-Jimmy Knowles

Jimmy touche. great boxer but did things I don't agree with either

Exhibitman 06-03-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

But, to each his own.

-Jimmy Knowles

Jimmy, Muslims are monotheists. You might want to add that to your lists of things to look into.

FirstYearCards 06-03-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

But, to each his own.

-Jimmy Knowles

I'm assuming the way you say "God or his god" implies his is a false "God". Being an atheist, I'm more impressed that he chose his religion as opposed to being given one by his place of birth and/or upbringing.

Peter_Spaeth 06-03-2016 06:05 PM

Ali never advocated racial violence as far as I know. I am not sure what point is being made.

xplainer 06-03-2016 06:13 PM

I knew it would not be popular, but I have never held Ali very high. Again, I don't wish his death or anything, I just think people should know his connections and unreported activity, before they say what a hero he is.

He has a very checkered past. Look into it.

I'll let this thread ride. Just exposing another side of his life story.

PM if you want to further the discussion. :D

Exhibitman 06-03-2016 06:14 PM

Peter, whatever point it is, it is not consistent with the Judeo-Christian ethical system. Or did I miss the part about where it is good to say nasty things about people who are ill?

Ali has brought a lot of joy to a lot of people all around the world. I wish him well.

BBSD 06-03-2016 06:38 PM

Off the rails real quick.

George 06-03-2016 07:22 PM

A Pity

What a shame........we're running out of low-life draft dodgers.

ErikV 06-03-2016 07:50 PM

Ali

Dave,

I've heard the same reports. Fox and MSNBC News are tweeting the same info.

Muhammad Ali in "grave condition." https://t.co/a4vcAcfnEE

mechanicalman 06-03-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 1546434)

Whoa. I am not a prolific poster by any means, but I can't imagine the restraint I would have to have to only post four times in 7 years on this board.

Kenny Cole 06-03-2016 08:02 PM

And I thought we weren't supposed to go to the religion thing. If that restriction is lifted, I have some thoughts that I would LOVE to share about some of the comments on this thread.

Leon 06-03-2016 08:24 PM

If this thread goes the religion route it will be locked. Lot's of places to discuss religion and this isn't one of them....thanks all

ksabet 06-03-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1546409)
I knew it would not be popular, but I have never held Ali very high. Again, I don't wish his death or anything, I just think people should know his connections and unreported activity, before they say what a hero he is.

He has a very checkered past. Look into it.

I'll let this thread ride. Just exposing another side of his life story.

PM if you want to further the discussion. :D

Too bad he wasnt more like Pete Rose, Joe Paterno, Ray Carruth or OJ

drmondobueno 06-03-2016 08:32 PM

How can you forget the battles with Joe Frazier? What a pair of warriors those two were.

clydepepper 06-03-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1546443)
Whoa. I am not a prolific poster by any means, but I can't imagine the restraint I would have to have to only post four times in 7 years on this board.

That's okay. Based on his response less is more...a lot more!

clydepepper 06-03-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

But, to each his own.

-Jimmy Knowles

That's 'portrays' genius. If you have to be ugly, try to be smarter about it.

Kenny Cole 06-03-2016 08:56 PM

Well, all I guess I will say is that most people, whether religious or not, have enough grace not to say shitty things about someone who may be dying and who, regardless of opinion, probably did as much to shape this nation as did any other athlete in the last 40 years. You can love it or hate it, but its true.

IMO, it is very sad that some people can't get past their own personal prejudices, particularly at a time like this. That's not a shame on him, that's a shame on you. :(

timn1 06-03-2016 09:55 PM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksabet (Post 1546472)
Too bad he wasnt more like Pete Rose, Joe Paterno, Ray Carruth or OJ

I never revered Ali as an athlete because boxing leaves me cold, but he was one of the most important figures of the Civil Rights movement, no question. And that's enough to make Ali d*mned important.

(Or maybe some of you guys still think we should be back in the 1950s where race relations are concerned... :( )

NewEnglandBaseBallist 06-03-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1546485)
Well, all I guess I will say is that most people, whether religious or not, have enough grace not to say shitty things about someone who may be dying and who, regardless of opinion, probably did as much to shape this nation as did any other athlete in the last 40 years. You can love it or hate it, but its true.

IMO, it is very sad that some people can't get past their own personal prejudices, particularly at a time like this. That's not a shame on him, that's a shame on you. :(

+1

the 'stache 06-03-2016 10:41 PM

I just saw on ESPN that Ali died.

RIP, Champ. :(

the 'stache 06-03-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Hmm. Four posts in seven years.

Do us all a favor, George. See if you can't up your average length of time between posts so we don't have to see you scurrying around on the board again any time soon.

Orioles1954 06-03-2016 10:48 PM

R.I.P to "The Greatest!"

Dewey 06-03-2016 10:49 PM

Weird to be told by Vin Scully. But it is a message best delivered by such a gracious man. RIP.

vintagebaseballcardguy 06-03-2016 10:54 PM

We have been losing many sports icons of late.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the 'stache 06-03-2016 11:00 PM

The Grim Reaper can take a break for a while, as far as I'm concerned. David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Garry Shandling, Prince, George Martin, Alan Rickman, and now Muhammad Ali.

This year really sucks, so far.

Dewey 06-03-2016 11:02 PM

He refused the draft a year before MLK delivered his major speech against Vietnam and then was assassinated the next day. Neither of them were low lifes. Some see refusing to enter foreign wars without just cause an act of moral courage, not cowardice. Any appreciation of historical context makes his decision understandable, whether you agree or not.

Thanks for the memories Ali, but I always favored Sugar Ray Leonard. :)
Quote:

bcornell 06-03-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

[REMOVED] This forum used to be great, but it's awful now. Arbitrary enforcement of rules by the moderator, plus people who don't know anything about vintage cards and don't care posting over & over again.

the 'stache 06-03-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 1546515)
Weird to be told by Vin Scully. But it is a message best delivered by such a gracious man. RIP.

Every time I watch a Dodgers broadcast, I have this pit in my stomach like it's the last time I'm ever going to hear his voice.

clydepepper 06-03-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcornell (Post 1546519)
Virtually every OT thread on this forum is either silly or, like this one, a magnet for stupidity. Thanks, "George".

Leon, the rule should be if you don't put your name to it, you don't get to post at all. No qualifiers.

for 'george':

The statement is appropriate "You can't fix stupid."

- and another one from the same source (Ron White):

"Next time you have an idea, (rather than sharing it)- just let it go."

clydepepper 06-03-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1546522)
Every time I watch a Dodgers broadcast, I have this pit in my stomach like it's the last time I'm ever going to hear his voice.

Me too!

Garry Shandling slipped past me...did not hear about him.

just googled him and he made me laugh again,

"What I want at my funeral is an actual boxing referee to do a count, and at 'Five', just wave it off and say, 'He's not getting up.'"

Dewey 06-03-2016 11:33 PM

Which is I haven't missed a call of his this year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1546522)

nat 06-03-2016 11:33 PM

" the rule should be if you don't put your name to it, you don't get to post at all. No qualifiers."

That's going to knock all of our posts down by two grades, you know.

Nappy1525 06-04-2016 12:47 AM

RIP Ali what a sad day in history

pclpads 06-04-2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1546409)
I don't wish his death or anything :D

You sure about that, chummo? Fooled me. Looks like you got your "wish." Georgia, huh? Figures! :( He was a revered and great man to many, not just blacks.

glynparson 06-04-2016 04:36 AM

RIP Champ

Rest in peace Champ. Just a little education as well. Muslims and Christians both worship the same God, The God of Abraham. And Mr. Trump dodged the draft so if you are ripping Ali for not going to Vietnam I hope you are not supporting Mr. Trump for President. Stated for contextual not political reasons. Love or hate him Clay/Ali was one of the most important people of the 20th century and one of the most important and socially relevant athletes in history. On a card note I had several Clays (Hemmetts and Rekord) on Ebay for a couple months as BIN and sold 4 of the 6 within 2 minutes of each other last night.

rats60 06-04-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1546539)
Rest in peace Champ. Just a little education as well. Muslims and Christians both worship the same God, The God of Abraham. And Mr. Trump dodged the draft so if you are ripping Ali for not going to Vietnam I hope you are not supporting Mr. Trump for President. Stated for contextual not political reasons.

I thought religion wasn't allowed on here, but that is not true.

As far as Ali, his religion is irrelevant. He was a great athlete and humanitarian. Arguing about his religious beliefs or politics, both of which don't belong here per the rules, is in poor taste at the time of his death.

glynparson 06-04-2016 04:53 AM

I was defending him

I did not bring up the religion discussion but responded to earlier attackers. And just stated facts my intention was not to debate. Facts are facts I gave no opinions. Iwent by what the pope has stated on religion as I figure he knows a little more about religion than i do.

rats60 06-04-2016 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1546544)
I did not bring up the religion discussion but responded to earlier attackers. And just stated facts my intention was not to debate. Facts are facts I gave no opinions. Iwent by what the pope has stated on religion as I figure he knows a little more about religion than i do.

Well I would suggest that you educate yourself a little more. You stated an opinion which is not the same as a fact.

bobbyw8469 06-04-2016 05:47 AM

I liked Ali. He never did anything to me. That being said, I agree with some that say he wasn't the hero everyone paints him out to be. Those old enough to remember his Playboy magazine interview after he converted to the Nation of Islam will know what I am talking about. Irregardless, God rest his soul and I hope he finds the peace he deserves.

Leon 06-04-2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcornell (Post 1546519)
Virtually every OT thread on this forum is either silly or, like this one, a magnet for stupidity. Thanks, "George".

Leon, the rule should be if you don't put your name to it, you don't get to post at all. No qualifiers.

George Altemose gave the unneeded opinion. I will say that this board has not always been friendly to the deceased, aka Where art thou now, Brucii?

And for Ali, RIP Champ...

a very good and succinct report is here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/muhamma...042902069.html