Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Getting a bit mad at card companies (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248958)

steve B 12-16-2017 08:39 PM

Getting a bit mad at card companies

Ok card companies, lets get this straight. Commons from your other sets are NOT inserts. They're just your unsaleable leftovers.

First one, Topps update series. Topps usually packs with a few cards in front, then 1-3 inserts, then a few more cards. One pack in the blaster had a series 2 common between two inserts, so packed as an insert.
A bit annoying, but weird enough to not be all that annoying.

Second one- Pannini chronicles I got today. Looked pretty cool, maybe worth a try. only 20 cards for $20, figured I'd take a chance.
What complete JUNK! One pack, no inserts at all. the others had a couple each, but all but two of them were just cards from their other base sets.
So as an "insert" in a product that's not priced like unsold leftovers I got 2 Donruss rated rookies of guys I've never heard of, a card from Absolute, and a couple others.

D. Bergin 12-16-2017 10:40 PM

LOL, they're starting to take the "insert" word literally I guess.............as in "look, we've inserted a card into this pack", now give us your money. :D

mrmopar 12-17-2017 01:11 PM

Along the same theme, I have a very limited interest in stamped buyback cards, mainly those of my favorite player. If the original card was one I liked a lot as well, a buyback version is cool to have too.

My only complaint to that type of recycled issue, because there is probably a fan or buyer for most of these buybacks, is that they are a complete mystery. We don't know if there are 1000s or just 3 of any given card or foil color. I am guilty for sure in paying many times more for a buyback than the original card would even fail to sell for at 1/10th the price. Most of the buybacks seem to pup up infrequently enough to tell me there are not a great number of each available, but I suppose on the other hand if they were cataloged in a detailed manner, they would probably cost me more.

It was also nice to pick up some more obscure autographs from the Leaf buyback series as well. With a lot of these sets doing buybacks now, it is fun to find some Dodger autographs that are not the well overused and common Garvey, Cey, Hough, Valenzuela, Padres, Etc. Added bonus to get a pack issued autograph as well, rather than relying on TTM/IP signatures to get certain players on certain teams.

Rich Klein 12-17-2017 04:04 PM

Steve:

On the update "commons", there were a ton of "SP's inserted into packs. I think the ratio was one in four hobby packs. it's possible your two commons are really a couple of short prints.

of course, that brings up one of my favorite issues. which is, I hate having to have cardboard connection open to see what the heck I have in my packs and what the variations are. Topps Update and Topps Heritage are getting to be notorious for all that. I think there are up to 5 different versions of some Heritage cards

Rich

steve B 12-17-2017 09:19 PM

That would be cool then, I suppose it's in the paragraph of tiny type on the back of the pack.

I'll have to check tomorrow.

Jantz 12-18-2017 05:24 AM

Steve

Check the code numbers on the back of the cards. Like Rich has mentioned, it could be a short print or manufactured variation.

Jantz

Rich Klein 12-18-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1730316)
Along the same theme, I have a very limited interest in stamped buyback cards, mainly those of my favorite player. If the original card was one I liked a lot as well, a buyback version is cool to have too.

My only complaint to that type of recycled issue, because there is probably a fan or buyer for most of these buybacks, is that they are a complete mystery. We don't know if there are 1000s or just 3 of any given card or foil color. I am guilty for sure in paying many times more for a buyback than the original card would even fail to sell for at 1/10th the price. Most of the buybacks seem to pup up infrequently enough to tell me there are not a great number of each available, but I suppose on the other hand if they were cataloged in a detailed manner, they would probably cost me more.

It was also nice to pick up some more obscure autographs from the Leaf buyback series as well. With a lot of these sets doing buybacks now, it is fun to find some Dodger autographs that are not the well overused and common Garvey, Cey, Hough, Valenzuela, Padres, Etc. Added bonus to get a pack issued autograph as well, rather than relying on TTM/IP signatures to get certain players on certain teams.

OTOH, I love the buyback cards, they have to be in shorter supply than the original cards even if they make 100 of some copy

Rich

steve B 12-18-2017 02:01 PM

Buybacks are ok, I got a few earlier this year. The foil stamping is a bit cool. No big names, but at least someone is making money off late 80's commons.

I wonder how much trouble I'd be in if I foil stamped a bunch of 80's cards with my own special logo? The guy that made 3-d cards out of laser cut early 90's cards got in a bit of trouble, but things are a bit touchier these days.

mrmopar 12-18-2017 09:34 PM

Folks were doing that for a while. I remember some "Special Olympics" 1/1 foil stamped cards that I am pretty sure had nothing to do with Special Olympics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1730602)
Buybacks are ok, I got a few earlier this year. The foil stamping is a bit cool. No big names, but at least someone is making money off late 80's commons.

I wonder how much trouble I'd be in if I foil stamped a bunch of 80's cards with my own special logo? The guy that made 3-d cards out of laser cut early 90's cards got in a bit of trouble, but things are a bit touchier these days.

steve B 12-19-2017 09:42 AM

Well, the Topps "Common" is actually an SP.

One that took some time to look up, as it's a second series number, and says second series right on it.
The checklist of second series SPs doesn't include that number.
But the checklist of update Sps does. Apparently they included a new batch of second series SPs in the update series. :confused::confused:

Could it be any more confusing?

And since I was looking at checklists I checked the Pannini ones too. They are inserts, just stuff like rated rookies with the exact same design as Donruss and extensions of the Donruss numbering. :(

Why even give the sets names?
I think I'll make a card set with no name, and no coherent series. Maybe I'll do the wrappers with a green stripe and just "baseball cards" Like the old 70's generic products were. Hey, if I just call it "sports cards" I won't even have to stick to baseball........

Rich Klein 12-20-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1730602)

That would be Rob Veres (and his son) of Burbank Cards making that money.