Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Modern Autographs Big Star from expensive box vs Big Star from 99cent pack? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249119)

bigfanNY 12-20-2017 10:30 PM

Modern Autographs Big Star from expensive box vs Big Star from 99cent pack?

This week I purchased 2 cards one a Mike Trout from Topps Transcendent a $27,000 per box.nice card two were available via auction one had a strange looking signature.. sold for eighty buck less but I could not live with it. Second card was an Aaron Judge Topps chrome update. A redemption card but chrome update is only sold via target 7 pack boxes for $19 per box.and autographs come one per 7195 packs. So a Judge comes say once per ten thousand boxes. Long odds.. my question is anybody else like Auto's with super long odds say from Topps opening day etc. I like them remind me of the old days ..Upper deck Reggie Ryan etc. .

bigfanNY 12-21-2017 05:11 PM

Picture worth a thousand words

This illustrates what I was trying to say. Mike Trout Transcendent from a box that cost as much as a car $26,000.00. And a Mike Trout from an opening day box that cost $25.00.

Exhibitman 12-21-2017 05:17 PM

Well, sure, it is way more fun to hit a longshot than to pay a high price for something, same as any gambling. Which is all it is. Or plowing through boxes of junk at a show looking for hidden gems. Freakish spontaneous wealth.

frankhardy 12-22-2017 09:40 PM

I personally like original Topps cards that are autographed "after production". If they are authentic, they are much more appealing to me than anything that is signed and then inserted into packs.

I know that wasn't an option from the original post, but I just wanted to comment.

bigfanNY 12-22-2017 10:01 PM

Not long ago it was taboo to have a player sign an expensive Baseball card. The thought was never add an autograph that is worth less than a card. I myself never bought in to that. I had Bob Feller sign a 38 Goudey, Brooks Robinson Sign a 67. In the 70's current players and even most live old timers signatures had little value. I remember a show Joe Dimaggio was signing for $8 Mays and Mantle $5 .. Feller and Brooks were free to dealers with a table. Now even current players can be Hundreds .

mrmopar 12-22-2017 10:13 PM

I guess I have not owned any cards that were ultra pricy, but I would have no issues getting a high end card signed. I use this as an example, except I was too scared to send it through the mail, but would have jumped at the chance IP. A Duke Snider 49 Bowman card would have been awesome to get signed, but Duke was a $10 or less signature for a very long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1732074)
Not long ago it was taboo to have a player sign an expensive Baseball card. The thought was never add an autograph that is worth less than a card. I myself never bought in to that. I had Bob Feller sign a 38 Goudey, Brooks Robinson Sign a 67. In the 70's current players and even most live old timers signatures had little value. I remember a show Joe Dimaggio was signing for $8 Mays and Mantle $5 .. Feller and Brooks were free to dealers with a table. Now even current players can be Hundreds .

frankhardy 12-22-2017 10:43 PM

For my Cardinals Topps autograph collection, I have a Bob Gibson signed rookie, plus most Topps Musial cards. I wouldn't want them signed in my regular team sets, but I love them in my autograph albums.

WillBBC 12-27-2017 08:47 AM

I think about this a lot. Those super high end products that Topps and Panini keep pumping out are super redundant. There's a reason star autographs from products like Heritage and Topps/Bowman Chrome outpace the higher end products--they actually look and feel like trading cards rather than an expensive chunk of cardboard that can stand on its edge.

I do think some of those high end products look great. Topps Definitive this year really knocked it out of the park. But there's no way in hell I'd spend 900+ to open a pack. I spent about 150 bones on players I liked and am thrilled to have them in my collection.