Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anyone Garden? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195702)

bnorth 10-20-2014 02:14 PM

Anyone Garden?

I am about to harvest some Heirloom Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes for seeds for growing next year. If anybody wants some let me know and I will save some extra to send out to anybody that wants some.

Chocolate Cherry tomatoes have a little less acid and a little more sugar than a red cherry tomato making them super sweet. They are by far the best tasting cherry tomato I have ever had. They are an indeterminate variety.

If you want some PM me your address and I will send you out some for free in a couple weeks when they are ready.

earlywynnfan 10-21-2014 05:30 AM

I'll second his recommendation, these are the only tomatoes I eat!

Matthew80 10-23-2014 10:09 PM

I'm an aspiring gardener, but I'm limited to 4-5 hours of sun each day in my southern CA condo. I'm going to try a hanging herb garden, see how it goes :o

bnorth 10-29-2014 07:12 AM

Anybody else interested in some free tomato seeds? They are drying now and will be ready to ship Nov 3.

To answer a couple frequent questions.
Yes these seeds will still be good in the spring. If stored properly they will last several years.
Plant the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before you plan on putting plants in your garden in the spring.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 10-30-2014 10:40 AM

I wish I had the space.

bnorth 11-03-2014 05:25 PM

Those that asked for seeds yours will go out in the mail tomorrow morning. I still have some extras if anybody else would like some.

nebboy 11-04-2014 05:57 AM

Sent PM - love to try them and THANKS for the offer

bnorth 11-04-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 1340624)
Sent PM - love to try them and THANKS for the offer

Never got your PM. Send it again and I will get you some seeds in the mail.

Everybody else your seeds are in the mail.

Romahawk 11-10-2014 03:52 PM

Got mine today. Thank you, I'm looking forward to spring and giving these guys a try..

digdugdig 11-10-2014 11:00 PM

Package arrived, Ben.
Much appreciation for your time and the gesture!!

pariah1107 11-14-2014 09:46 AM

Thought some baseball card shop owners would get a kick out of this. I got creative with an old display cabinet with a broken top glass, a child sat on it:mad:. It was not worth the replacement costs, so I turned this 6 foot cabinet into a greenhouse. It works surprisingly well with southern exposure, pretty easy to regulate temperature with 5 gallon buckets of cool/warm water. Still growing jalapenos in November, it was 20 degrees yesterday.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...psf725ebc9.jpg
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8fe55dcd.jpg

Aquifer 11-14-2014 02:44 PM

tomato seeds

Ben,
count me in. anybody from South Dakota has my vote anyway. My dad's from Viborg, in Turner County. He's long gone now but I was back this summer with daughters to see the old place and visit the descendants.

5289 Winifred Drive
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Eric Nelson

thx

bnorth 11-14-2014 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquifer (Post 1344439)
Ben,
count me in. anybody from South Dakota has my vote anyway. My dad's from Viborg, in Turner County. He's long gone now but I was back this summer with daughters to see the old place and visit the descendants.

5289 Winifred Drive
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Eric Nelson

thx

Eric I will put them in the mail Monday.

Ty that is a cool way to keep the peppers going a little longer.

Here is a pic, of my greenhouse from last march..

GoldenAge50s 11-14-2014 10:30 PM

I like to plant, but my girlfriend is a hoer.

billyb 11-15-2014 08:13 AM

Fred.........LOL
Only you would come with that.

Rayl 11-15-2014 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love to garden especially giant pumpkins. This one is 1,216 pounds. This year I grew 1,204 lbs. Also grow giant tomatoes. :)

bnorth 02-06-2015 11:24 AM

I planted and still have some extra seed. If anyone else would like some let me know.

ullmandds 02-06-2015 03:18 PM

Ben...id love some!

vthobby 02-06-2015 04:54 PM

cool

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayl (Post 1344626)
I love to garden especially giant pumpkins. This one is 1,216 pounds. This year I grew 1,204 lbs. Also grow giant tomatoes. :)

Beckett has some pretty unique holders and I think you should get this baby graded! I'd say its a 5 due to slightly off centered and the edges are a bit rough but overall it has GREAT eye appeal!! :)

Peace, Mike

Attachment 178120

bnorth 02-03-2016 07:04 PM

I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.:)

Rookiemonster 02-03-2016 08:50 PM

I live in New Jersey the garden state. so I always had a garden . When I moved out my first apartment had a nice garden . I currently for the first time ever do not have a garden . I do mise it fresh peppers and tomatoes.

Runscott 02-04-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1499817)
I just finished planting tomatoes and have some extra chocolate cherry tomato seeds again this year. If anybody would like a dozen seeds PM me your address.

Happy Gardening, spring will be soon.:)

Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!

bnorth 02-04-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1500140)
Hi Ben. How timely - I have your package of these seeds sitting next to my keyboard, to remind me that it's time to get started!!!

I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.

Prof_Plum 02-05-2016 08:13 AM

Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.

Rayl 02-05-2016 12:01 PM

I have giant pumpkin seeds available if anyone wants :)

bnorth 02-05-2016 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof_Plum (Post 1500422)
Ben was kind enough to send me some seeds last year and the plants grew great. The problem for me was that since I never had the chocolate cherry variety before, I kept waiting for them to get bright red for picking, like most cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately they didn't. So I'm sure I missed their peak ripeness while they were still on the vine. Live and learn.

Here is a picture of them. The top 3 are ripe and ready to eat. They have a green shoulder(top) when ripe and are a very sweet tomato.

bnorth 02-08-2016 08:08 AM

Everyone that has asked for seeds they all went out this morning. If anybody else would like some just ask I have plenty left.:)

sockwell123 02-08-2016 09:20 PM

Garden

Been gardening off and on for a little bit. Don't have a green thumb but do well growing squash, zucchini, jalapeņos, eggplant. The squirrels and bugs got my last tomato's.. We're thinking of trying above ground this year maybe.

Runscott 02-12-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1500177)
I am starting seed to grow in my greenhouse now. It will be another 2 months before I start the seeds for my outside garden.

Had a few seed starting questions, this is what I do for an outside grow in the soil garden. I like to start them about 8-10 weeks before I want to transplant them outside.

The plants should be around 12-16 inches tall. When planting dig the hole deep enough to burry half the plant. Cut the leaves off near the stem for the ones that would get buried.

If starting plants without enough natural light I use 4' fluorescent cool white bulbs. I like to add 15-20 watts per SQ FT so the plants don't get spindly from too little light.

Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.

nebboy 02-20-2016 04:19 PM

Seeds got to us just fine and THANK YOU, will be fun this summer growing some new/different things. We will post some things later.

digdugdig 02-21-2016 12:19 AM

First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages :D.

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1503328)
Thanks Ben. By the way - the chocolate cherry tomatoes grow like wildfire up here, and taste delicious. Other than a few oddballs I bought for seeds, the chocolate cherries were the only ones I actually paid for last season.

Last year I bought starters and planted in mid-May. This year I will use a combination of seeds and starters.

bnorth 03-14-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digdugdig (Post 1506612)
First off, thanks Ben, if I didn't last year, for your generous offer.
Would have been nice if you would have told me that I would need 6 foot tall by 3 foot diameter tomato cages :D.

And buyer beware ... when you bite into one of these ... best keep your mouth completely and tightly closed or you'll be wearing some of it!!

Never snacked on cherry tomatoes like I did last summer!!

Again, thanks Ben, for spreading the word as well as the seed :)

One last bump for anybody that would like some seeds this year.

I grow them hydroponically and have had them 30 foot long/tall before. Yes they do like to explode when you bite into them.:D

A couple tips with tomatoes is water in the morning and not at night and also pick in the mornings before watering.

bnorth 05-04-2016 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took Rayl up on the offer of some giant pumpkin seeds and this is were I am at. I am going to give the one pictured hydroponic fertilized and grow it in the pictured 35 gallon plastic barrel full of perlite.

Hoping the weather will let me move it outside in about 2-3 weeks.

Not sure how it will turn out but am hoping for a pumpkin the size if a Volkswagen Beetle.:D

bnorth 05-11-2016 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Harvested these giant purple asparagus this morning. Don't usually get many this large. The shiny coin is a quarter.

Anybody else got anything growing?

almostdone 05-11-2016 07:32 PM

This past Sunday my kids unveiled a path to my wife for Mother's Day. It goes through the woods on our property to her garden below. They each made a stepping stone highlighting their personality and relationship with their mom. My wife was surprised and overjoyed. What a great mother day gift.

As far as the garden below we have a total of six 8 X 12 grade boxes that we gave been working on since last fall. Four of them are planted with blueberry bushes. One we are using for a compost pile (at least until next year) and the other for veggies. Mainly tomatoes but also zucchini, cucumbers and watermelon. We are not a gardening family but so far things are looking great.

Unfortunately I couldn't get any of the chocolate cherry tomatoes to sprout. I hope to try again next year if Ben is willing no to help out again. Thought researched and did things right but apparently I have a lot to learn about planting from a seed.

I'll keep you posted on our progress and maybe post a few pictures here and there.
Drew

bnorth 05-25-2016 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Moved the Giant Pumpkin outside and into the 35 gallon barrel today.

pariah1107 05-25-2016 08:29 PM

Awesome progress, Ben! Love to see this as it grows. Never attempted anything like it but interested, how's the maintenance?

bnorth 05-25-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1543148)
Awesome progress, Ben! Love to see this as it grows. Never attempted anything like it but interested, how's the maintenance?

I don't know either, it is my first time trying anything like this. I need to contact member Rayl who I got the seeds from to ask about pruning.

bnorth 06-18-2016 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pumpkin plant is growing great.:D Here is a pic from this morning. I am growing it on a gravel driveway to make it a little more challenging.:D

pawpawdiv9 06-19-2016 09:05 AM

My dad is the gardener in the family. He planted some fruit trees several yrs ago.
His plum trees have gone 'wild' this year. So many, that its literally breaking the limbs. We been giving them away in buckets at work and been 'jamming' them up in jars.
We got one of those weekend markets, and he was able to 'trade' for other produce and stuff. No telling what the figs will do, as they been few to none.
As for tomatoes, he decided to go with 'raised beds' His have grown over 8ft tall and keeps them tied to the cages and a trelace so they don't fall and break.
I have not heard of these 'c,hocolate cherry', maybe my dad has, but we live in Georgia, so I don't know about the soil/sun factors on them. We did pick a few cherry of our own. The family likes the big boys. My dad also tried doing a berry garden, think the birds got most of it, he has since put a mesh over the area.
*Please put us down for some chocolate tomatoes**

bnorth 06-19-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1552584)
My dad is the gardener in the family. He planted some fruit trees several yrs ago.
His plum trees have gone 'wild' this year. So many, that its literally breaking the limbs. We been giving them away in buckets at work and been 'jamming' them up in jars.
We got one of those weekend markets, and he was able to 'trade' for other produce and stuff. No telling what the figs will do, as they been few to none.
As for tomatoes, he decided to go with 'raised beds' His have grown over 8ft tall and keeps them tied to the cages and a trelace so they don't fall and break.
I have not heard of these 'c,hocolate cherry', maybe my dad has, but we live in Georgia, so I don't know about the soil/sun factors on them. We did pick a few cherry of our own. The family likes the big boys. My dad also tried doing a berry garden, think the birds got most of it, he has since put a mesh over the area.
*Please put us down for some chocolate tomatoes**

Chris I will get some in the mail for you in the next couple days.

Suspicious LOL, your mail carrier will wear rubber gloves after you get my letter.:D

pawpawdiv9 06-24-2016 06:12 PM

Ha! I just came upon this helpful hint:

Quote:

Tomato Tip Seedlings benefit from waterings with Epsom salts, use 1 Tbsp of Epsom salts per gallon. Provide even moisture during fruit set and development. Excessive watering can increase fruit size but decrease flavour
Has anyone done this??? Now we typically don't do seeds (except for flowers)

bnorth 06-24-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1554529)
Ha! I just came upon this helpful hint:

Has anyone done this??? Now we typically don't do seeds (except for flowers)

Pretty much everything you quoted is bad information. Overwatering tomatoes will not give you bigger tomatoes it will give you split tomatoes. Giving plants just Epson salts is not good and that is way too much anyway.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I would be happy to help.

LuckyLarry 06-25-2016 08:18 AM

I use to have a big garden, but it just became to much work. I even sold my troy built tiller this past Spring:mad: I have a small area that I plant lettuce throughout the winter, but that's about it.
In this small lettuce area, I planted some Mammoth sunflowers and here how they look this AM as the heads are just starting to form. I plan on just leaving these for the Cardinals that are around my place:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_3336.jpg

Eight or ten years ago I started my orchard with four Tangerine trees and they are doing well with lots of golfball size fruit that will be ready in December. These trees are on the left in this picture, apple trees down the right:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_3338.jpg

Then four or five years ago I planted two peach trees, two pear trees, and eight apple trees. I got good peaches this year, but the pear trees didn't even bloom. Growing apples in Florida is quite the trick, the only varieties that do any good are Anna and Dorsett as they require very few hours of freezing temperatures. For the first time I am harvesting a good crop of apples and I've picked at least 40 pounds. The apples are ready now, and there are more on the tree waiting to be picked, some apples on the ground too. One of the pear trees on the front right, the apples are in line on the left:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_3337.jpg

Since I don't have to go out and weed the garden, I think I might just hang out by the "cement pond" today:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...SizeRender.jpg

pawpawdiv9 06-25-2016 10:50 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. You ALL got some very nice trees!!!! My dad cant wait for our figs to produce. As for our plum trees..He went and picked the green ones that were left, some old lady at the market mentioned she can make wine from those. My dad swapped some jelly he made for her blackberries.
Today my dad, took down some of his tomatoes, and cant wait to plant those choclate ones to arrive. He mentioned them at the market, I don't think they have heard of them.
He does got some nice cucumbers growing. They make a good salad.

LuckyLarry 07-03-2016 09:59 AM

Sunflowers now 5.5 feet tall and just starting to flower. The bees are everywhere!
Larry

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...IMG_3362-2.jpg

bnorth 07-03-2016 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Larry, Very nice looking sun flowers and trees.

Pumpkin plant is growing great. It is getting small pumpkins, got 3 about the size of baseballs.

pawpawdiv9 07-17-2016 07:40 AM

Update on my seed project (thanks to Ben)--its been 2 weeks and my very 1st poppage.
Hoping for more.

bnorth 07-17-2016 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took this picture yesterday. I am down to just this 1 pumpkin on the plant and you can almost watch it grow.:) It is weird shaped and much larger than a basketball.

Runscott 07-28-2016 02:01 PM

nm