Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1952 Topps Decisions Decisions... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136666)

Brianruns10 05-09-2011 09:21 AM

1952 Topps Decisions Decisions...

So I'm working on the '52 set and right now I'm torn between two types of cards in the set. Given my budget this month, I can afford either a nice, centered PSA 6 high series card probably Burgess, Brodowski or Kucab, OR a VERY, VERY nice PSA 8 example from the very common 2nd printing of the 1st series, cards 81-131.

Seems either has pros and cons...the PSA 8 would seem to be a better potential resale, but it is an awfully common one, and so the return should I sell might not be so good. A high number is a high number, but PSA 6 could likewise be limiting.

What are your opinions? Which type of card should be next to join my set?

VinTX 05-09-2011 07:40 PM

a common it may be but a PSA 8 '52 is a PSA 8 '52 and a very nice card. I think I'd go after that one...

BearBailey 05-09-2011 07:53 PM

I would go with the PSA 8. I always go with the highest grade I can possibly afford, and would prefer not to have to upgrade it down the road, especially a common, but it also depends on the overall condition of the set you are putting together? Also I personally feel the 52 high numbers are significantly Over-rated. If you have an endless money supply, you can always find 52 high numbers, especially in lower grades. However, there are some high numbersfrom 61, 66, 67, that are far more difficult to find than the 52 high numbers.

cdn_collector 05-09-2011 09:17 PM

To me, it all comes down to how this card will fit with the rest of your set. If it is your intention to build the highest grade set you can afford [and you expect to buy more 7s and 8s as you go], go for the 8. On the other hand, if the look of the 6 fits with the look of your set, go for the 6.

Regards,

Richard.

Brianruns10 05-10-2011 09:53 AM

Hi All,

thanks so much for the replies. To give more details, at this point I'm shooting for PSA 6 as a baseline. I've an eye to start a registry set, though ultimately I buy the card, not the plastic. I'm about centering, colour, alignment, and while i'd surely buy a PSA 7 or 8 if the price were right, I'd take a PSA 5 with nice centering and eye appeal over an off centered 7 any day.
But my budget most of the time allows for cards in the 5 or 6 range, and I'm looking forward to upgrading the set in the future...I don't want completing this set to be the end, but only the beginning, with the lifetime goal of building a master set, and then, depending on how successful I am in life, go after building one of the best sets.

But in the meantime, PSA 6 is the baseline, so getting a high card in PSA 6 would fit in better...but I'm also trying to be cognizant of where my money is best spent. I do this hobby because I love it, but I'm not about to throw away money either, and resale value and potential return on my initial investment are things I always consider, which was why I was contemplating if a common card in PSA 8 might be a better expenditure than a rare, high number PSA 6.

thanks again!

BR

jivan 05-12-2011 04:12 PM

52 topps

if you are going slow and steady, think about this.. buy time you finish, there will be hundreds more slabbed and graded.. if you pay high for an 8 now, the pop report probably will have more within the year lowering the prices of what you may pay now... buy the bettter looking 5/6's... but hey, what do i know, i cannot even balance my own checkbook and I'm 87