Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suggestion/Recommendation for Net54 Members (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91534)

Archive 12-15-2008 09:09 AM

Suggestion/Recommendation for Net54 Members

Posted By: <b>Peter</b><p>I just finished watching Ken Burns Baseball Documentary (9 Part/Innings/DVD's on the history of baseball) and I would like to recommend it to eveyone on this board. I am sure everyone would enjoy it and it would put a lot of meaning behind the pre-war card and memorabilia collections that you all enjoy. It is excellent!

Archive 12-15-2008 09:14 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The whole thing used to be available free online (maybe YouTube) not sure if it's still there. Certainly worth the time.

Archive 12-15-2008 09:16 AM

Posted By: <b>Bob Beyerle</b><p>It is entertaining, but one must question it's accuracy, when it fails to pronounce one of baseball's all time greatest players (Wagner) name correctly.

Archive 12-15-2008 09:16 AM

Posted By: <b>Jimmy Muscarella</b><p>Always worth watching again...I can never get enough of that documentary.

Archive 12-15-2008 09:43 AM

Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p>I watched it about 5 or 6 years ago.. definately an A+ documentary and a MUST see for any baseball fan! As I recall, the first 5 or 6 innings (CDs) documented pre wwii baseball, so the majority of the documentary is vintage!

Archive 12-15-2008 09:59 AM

Posted By: <b>J.McMurry</b><p>yep, bought the dvd set about 8 years ago(still havent watched the part on the seventies) I love the prewar sections the best,but I do question the overall acuracy, as Mr. Burns seems to have presented some of the legends as fact, ie. the Cobb/wagner base sliding incident, and the G.C. alexander strike out of Lazeri in the WS. <br><br>Its worth it just for the old photos / filmclips.

Archive 12-15-2008 10:21 AM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>&quot;In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball.... Let us go forth awhile and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms.... the game of ball is glorious.&quot; Walt Whitman

Archive 12-15-2008 10:27 AM

Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Are Bruces the reincarnation of Whitman?

Archive 12-15-2008 10:30 AM

Posted By: <b>Rob D.</b><p>Edited because receiving poorly written, threatening e-mails just isn't any fun during the holiday season.

Archive 12-15-2008 10:34 AM

Posted By: <b>David Goff</b><p>The first 3 innings are the best in my opinion. <br><br>Don't know if anyone saw this, but Studs Turkel died a couple of months ago. He was in the series quite abit...