Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Game postponed: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253835)

clydepepper 04-15-2018 08:18 AM

Game postponed:

It snowed in Kansas City yesterday...they still played.

There was a frozen monsoon at Wrigley Field yesterday...they still played.

However, there have already been more games postponed due to weather conditions than in ANY previous season...and it's only February?

There are several reasons for this besides the crazy weather...which may not clear up for several more weeks...whoopee!

In no particular order...

1.) The Players' Union demanded more off-days during the season. This made it necessary to start the season a week early.

2.) Expanded Post-Season schedule guarantees November Baseball.

3.) Due specifically to greed, Double-Headers are persona non grata.

There has been talk of a 154-game schedule...but, again, the greed would prevent that.

What's your solution?

:mad:

silvor 04-15-2018 12:35 PM

Best solution I read was two fold:

Schedule northern teams to play southern teams or teams with domes the first week

AND

Then schedule divisional games week two as they are easier to make up in case of weather.

Devils in the details I suppose though...

clydepepper 04-15-2018 02:36 PM

To ME, that sounds both reasonable and logical....so....

you just know they won't do it.

Several players will have to get hurt directly as a result of the weather...then, perhaps...

Saner minds showed up today at Wrigley and the final game of the series was postponed.

A total of SIX games were postponed today!

Peter_Spaeth 04-15-2018 04:07 PM

Cut back on off days and start the season a week or 10 days later.

steve B 04-16-2018 08:57 PM

Or, for what they get paid, suck it up and do their job.

I'm assuming this is baseball and not some other sport. It was posted yesterday, 4/15 but says February.

Or did they change stuff around and nobody told me?

clydepepper 04-17-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1768154)
Or, for what they get paid, suck it up and do their job.

I'm assuming this is baseball and not some other sport. It was posted yesterday, 4/15 but says February.

Or did they change stuff around and nobody told me?

Steve- that was just me trying to be ironic and funny, hence the italics and the question mark.

gopherfan 04-17-2018 10:39 AM

I wish they would play more double headers. I like the idea of 20 per home team per year. That knocks 40 days off the schedule. You could start 2 weeks later, end 2 weeks earlier and add 12 off days during the season. Who in the world doesn't like double headers?

clydepepper 04-17-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopherfan (Post 1768277)
I wish they would play more double headers. I like the idea of 20 per home team per year. That knocks 40 days off the schedule. You could start 2 weeks later, end 2 weeks earlier and add 12 off days during the season. Who in the world doesn't like double headers?

Folks that need all the $ they can get

steve B 04-17-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1768181)
Steve- that was just me trying to be ironic and funny, hence the italics and the question mark.

Yeah, I can be a bit daft at times.... :o

clydepepper 04-18-2018 11:48 AM

Correction to Original Post

However, there have already been more games postponed due to weather conditions than in ANY previous season...

I meant at this point in ANY previous season...not more than any previous FULL season.

We are now up to 25 weather-related postponements. This includes three of the last four Cubs' games...and may feel that Saturday's game should have been called also (that's almost entirely the Braves' and their fans, not the Cubs' who might as well have had an ARK that day).

My third year in College, we had twenty consecutive games rained out (out of a fifty-or-so game schedule)...so many that we took to having full practice games in the basketball gym....now, that was dangerous!