Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   To Kill a Mocking Bird autographed Harper Lee (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133511)

mintacular 02-19-2011 08:22 PM

To Kill a Mocking Bird autographed Harper Lee

Hi folks not sure if this is the right forum but i figure the water cooler section would be the best place to post this since it's pretty random....Anyway, a relative of mine has a signed "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. The signature is definately authentic as this relative's best friend had it signed in person in the 60s I believe. Anyway, I know Harper Lee was a bit of a recluse so did not sign much and I know it's a first edition but not sure which printing and how relavant that is. Anyway, the good news is that the signature is crystal clear but the bad news is that it is address to this relative. Any idea of value? Thanks!

Leon 02-20-2011 09:34 AM

hopefully

Hopefully a book expert can chime in for ya' Patrick? For folks that collect such things I would think there would be some good value to it.

thekingofclout 02-20-2011 11:50 AM

Well, true signed first editions in VG to Near Fine with a VG Jacket retailed for $10-15,000 fifteen years ago. And I think the print run was something like 4,000.

It was Lee's only book and it won her a Pulitzer, and the film landed an Oscar for Gregory Peck as well.

Back in the mid nineties, I started collecting modern (1960-1990) First Editions that were made into successful films and just a decent unsigned copy was a small fortune back then, and I wouldn't think they've gotten any less expensive. However, I stopped collecting about 10 years ago.

Hope this helps. Best, Jimmy

mintacular 02-20-2011 01:12 PM

Wow

Hmm, let me ask a few more q's Jimmy.

#1 How does the "To (name)" impact value
#2 How does print runs work? I know this copy is early 60s and even if it is '60 what if it is a later print run? And what if it is 63 (i.e. i'm not 100% it's a 1st edition) and signed?

Book has dust jacket and seems to be in great shape

barrysloate 02-20-2011 02:19 PM

Patrick- there's a site called bibliobot.com. Check it out.

thekingofclout 02-20-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 872699)
Hmm, let me ask a few more q's Jimmy.

#1 How does the "To (name)" impact value
#2 How does print runs work? I know this copy is early 60s and even if it is '60 what if it is a later print run? And what if it is 63 (i.e. i'm not 100% it's a 1st edition) and signed?

Book has dust jacket and seems to be in great shape

Hey Patrick. Flat signed are almost always preferred but signed with an inscription is not that big of deal for book collectors as it is for the sports and entertainment collectors.

As I remember it, as far as print runs go, some are announced but many were just surmised by taking into account the era, the publisher, the Book Stores pre-orders, the popularity of the author, etc.

Again. I only collected for about 5 or 6 years and that was 15 years ago and I'm fairly certain that things have changed dramatically since the advent of Al Gore's Internet. :rolleyes:

Many publisher's state the books issuance in different manners, so you need to be certain when your ready to spend a good chunk of cash. Living in So Cal we had quite a few really good used book stores and I learned most from two or three of them.

Just like collecting Baseball memorabilia, it's imperative to select a trusted dealer or three, that will help you even if you're not buying from him at that moment.

I still have about half of my "collectible" books that I've been thinking about putting them up on ebay. I sold most of my best stuff about ten years ago. Am happy to say, I made some pretty good dough on them. :) Which bankrolled my venture into Baseball photography. :D

If you can, please post as many good scans as you can and remember... the dust jacket RULES. Also important are scans of the info page (date printed, and what edition, etc.) the page where the signature is on. Images all around the book while it lies flat. All the corners. And TOP and Bottom pics of the spine, as well as a few images of the book itself with out the dust jacket. And. as long as you have the dust jack off, take some high-res photos of that as well.

My best, Jimmy

mintacular 02-21-2011 09:35 PM

OK

Ok, jimmy i'll post pics in a few days thanks, pat