Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Exactly What Percentage of All ML players become Hall-of-Fame players? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251892)

clydepepper 02-27-2018 06:35 PM

Exactly What Percentage of All ML players become Hall-of-Fame players?

Just FYI on a boring Tuesday night:

I have always heard that it was the top 1%, but a little research indicates a difference:

BaseballAmerica's 2018 Almanac lists one Tim Locastro as making the last debut on September 29.

BBR lists him as the 19,175th Major Leaguer.

Of the 323 Hall-of-Fame members, 226 have been elected as players...

and that comes to 1.1786% - does that mean we can remove some?

ronniehatesjazz 02-27-2018 07:26 PM

Way too many players imo. Would personally rather see only 5-10 a generation get in. As much as I like Goose Gossage, I知 not sure I like seeing him lumped in with WaJo, Matty, or Bob Gibson. I feel that I知 probably in the minority here, but putting guys like Trammell and Jack Morris in just makes the Hall not as elite or serious. I知 glad both guys got in considering the current makeup of it but in an ideal world the HOF would be more exclusive.

bnorth 02-27-2018 07:37 PM

They could kick out every pitcher that does not have 2500 strikeouts or 300 wins. For batters they need 2 of the 3, .300 batting average, 3000 hits, or 500 home runs. That would get it down to the truly elite.:eek::D

KMayUSA6060 02-27-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1752467)
They could kick out every pitcher that does not have 2500 strikeouts or 300 wins. For batters they need 2 of the 3, .300 batting average, 3000 hits, or 500 home runs. That would get it down to the truly elite.:eek::D

Or truly lucky. By that I mean the players that reach those milestones, it's half skill, and half luck that they didn't suffer career-altering injuries.

rats60 02-27-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

So you would kick Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio out of the HoF?

savedfrommyspokes 02-28-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz (Post 1752463)
Way too many players imo. Would personally rather see only 5-10 a generation get in. As much as I like Goose Gossage, I知 not sure I like seeing him lumped in with WaJo, Matty, or Bob Gibson. I feel that I知 probably in the minority here, but putting guys like Trammell and Jack Morris in just makes the Hall not as elite or serious. I知 glad both guys got in considering the current makeup of it but in an ideal world the HOF would be more exclusive.

Completely agree......

clydepepper 03-01-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

You'd kick out Sandy Koufax?

Respectfully, Sir...You have lost your mind!

Butch7999 03-01-2018 11:55 AM

The Hall of Fame / "Hall of Very Good" / who's deserving / who's not question has been debated in here so often,
but like the weather, "everybody complains but no one ever does anything about it."

We mentioned this in another thread [ http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250735 ] just a month ago,
but nobody took the reins:

"A hockey history group ran an interesting exercise several years ago, in which a couple of dozen or so
hockey historians participated in "re-voting" the Hockey Hall of Fame from scratch, a fresh vote every few days.
It took about a year to complete, and the (polite) arguments for and against the various candidates and
the vote manoeuvering got pretty clever and involved as the "years" went by, players were voted in,
failed to be elected but had enough support to be rolled over as eligible for subsequent votes,
fell off the eligibility list after several "years," and so on.

It would be fascinating to see the results of a similar exercise in here to "re-vote" the baseball hall.
Needed: one moderator / tabulator of votes, and as many guys as necessary to comprise a knowledgeable voting body,
all seriously committed to sticking with the project for the year or more the process would require.

bnorth 03-01-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1752970)
You'd kick out Sandy Koufax?

Respectfully, Sir...You have lost your mind!

I am not sure it has ever worked properly.:eek:

My post was meant to be a joke much like the HOF without Clemens and Bonds being in it.:D

sycks22 03-01-2018 08:55 PM

It became the Hall of Very Good once Rock Raines / Bruce Sutter got in.

clydepepper 03-02-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1753088)
I am not sure it has ever worked properly.:eek:

My post was meant to be a joke much like the HOF without Clemens and Bonds being in it.:D

I should have realized that with your emogies.

Too bad we'll never know exactly what portion of Bonds' or Clemens' totals were legit and what portion wasn't.

Being elected to the Hall is not a birth-rite and to have those two sharing the same honored space as Walter, Jackie, Willie and Hank (and I realize there are a lot of questionable characters already in) would irk me to no end.

Maybe their penalty should be to elected posthumously...if they would do it to Mr. Santo, then why not to them.

That's end of sermon. Amen...oh, wait...that's not pc enough...Awomen, too.

:D

Topnotchsy 03-04-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 1753192)
It became the Hall of Very Good once Rock Raines / Bruce Sutter got in.

It arguably became the Hall of Very good when Roger Bresnahan was elected in 1945 (some would argue it was even earlier than that.)