Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What player do you think you have the best collection of in the world? (If any) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254976)

Tennis13 05-12-2018 05:36 PM

What player do you think you have the best collection of in the world? (If any)

This obviously lends itself to billionaires or people that have been obsessed with collecting one player. I have been actively collecting Javier Baez, and I don’t think I have his best collection in the world, but I feel like I would be top 10, maybe.

Anyone else have a particular player that they have a ton of that’s not collected by manythat they would feel confident declaring themselves world champ?

David W 05-12-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1776116)
This obviously lends itself to billionaires or people that have been obsessed with collecting one player. I have been actively collecting Javier Baez, and I don’t think I have his best collection in the world, but I feel like I would be top 10, maybe.

Anyone else have a particular player that they have a ton of that’s not collected by manythat they would feel confident declaring themselves world champ?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174114

I'm fairly confident I'm in the running for Lou Brock.

There is also a Yaz thread and Clemente thread going on.

Tennis13 05-12-2018 07:02 PM

I would have to imagine Clemnte and Yaz are heavily collected. As a Cubs fan, I can appreciate the comments on that Brock thread.

mrmopar 05-12-2018 10:54 PM

Including post retirement issues, loaded with many 1/1s, of which I was able to secure a decent amount, and my near complete checklist of other than 1/1 cards, plus the variety of other items (aside from items that have not seen the light of day since the 80s, a couple rare items I failed to win or chose not to afford and super high end memorabilia), I'd challenge any takers for the claim to Steve Garvey.

bnorth 05-13-2018 08:01 PM

Up until 1 year after he retired I would have had either the #1 or #2 Wade Boggs collection. The best was either me or a gentleman from Washington. Can't remember his name anymore but we cost each other a boat load of cash.

I sold all my rare stuff in 2001 because of a bad business deal. It really sucked at the time but now I am glad i done it as those cards sold for way more then than they would now.

ALR-bishop 05-14-2018 07:24 AM

I think I have the best possible Darryl Palmer collection. :)

jasondeanmartin 05-14-2018 07:26 PM

Josh Fogg as evidenced here: http://jasondeanmartin.weebly.com/jo...ollection.html

I have added a few things but not updated my stats. Added a game used bat a couple weeks ago. Set me back a whopping $20.

Tennis13 05-15-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1776594)

So I admit my ignorance: who is that?

Man, another Cubs heartbreaker, Steve Garvey. Any cocktail napkins from his people of affection?

ALR-bishop 05-15-2018 03:54 PM

aka Danny Noonan from Caddyshack and The Slugger's Wife

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...539/img057.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1526335183

bbcard1 05-16-2018 02:25 PM

I'd be tough to beat on Marshall University graduates in the pros (granted I am sure someone would top me on Randy Moss). I have a huge collection including NFL, MLB, MiLB, CFL, Italian basketball, school issue, Ashland Oil, European football and generally weird stuff. Probably 10,000 different cards. WVADavis would probably be close, but he's the only one I know.

Big Six 05-16-2018 03:24 PM

Bar none, the finest Josh Phelps collection in existence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mybestbretts 05-16-2018 05:13 PM

best player collection

George Brett

insidethewrapper 05-16-2018 07:32 PM

It's fun to check the PSA card site psacard.com to see the Master Set of individual players. Good place to start a player checklist. I'm # 4 on the Al Kaline Master Set.

mrmopar 05-17-2018 08:08 PM

I have looked at some of those, but so many folks have no photos. I don't do graded cards unless it is similar to a non graded card price wise or I have some extra concern about authenticity, but I have all of the items on the master list.

Certainly #1 on those lists has the highest conditioned, shared set in the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1777518)
It's fun to check the PSA card site psacard.com to see the Master Set of individual players. Good place to start a player checklist. I'm # 4 on the Al Kaline Master Set.

The-Cardfather 05-21-2018 02:25 PM

I don't know if it's the "best collection in the world", but I do have over 250 (and growing) PSA 10 Mike Piazza cards.
(Click on the link below if you're interested in seeing it.)

Peter_Spaeth 05-30-2018 03:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OT but how many people have every vintage card of Buddy Holly including both versions of the Maple Leaf and Kane Disc Stars?

oldjudge 05-30-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1781977)
OT but how many people have every vintage card of Buddy Holly including both versions of the Maple Leaf and Kane Disc Stars?

One, which interestingly enough is also the number of people who would want one. LOL

packs 05-30-2018 03:45 PM

Have you ever seen one of those signed? I wonder if they exist. I once saw an Elvis card signed and have always regretted not buying it.

Peter_Spaeth 05-30-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1781983)
One, which interestingly enough is also the number of people who would want one. LOL

:eek:
Sometimes a change of pace from the same old same old Wags and WaJo and Matty and Cobby and Hoblitzell and Abbatachio does a man good.

Peter_Spaeth 05-30-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1781988)
Have you ever seen one of those signed? I wonder if they exist. I once saw an Elvis card signed and have always regretted not buying it.

Only the Hit Stars was issued while he was alive, the others were right after his death. It would not surprise me if there was a signed Hit Stars somewhere.

scmavl 06-01-2018 10:26 PM

While the graded cards aren’t going to win any prizes, my Harmon Killebrew collection is quite deep and definitely has some unique items no one else has.

Bored5000 06-02-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1782006)
:eek:
Sometimes a change of pace from the same old same old Wags and WaJo and Matty and Cobby and Hoblitzell and Abbatachio does a man good.

Agree completely. :) There's nothing at all wrong with collecting Wags, Matty, Cobb, etc., but I love seeing different cards than what shows up regularly on eBay and at auction houses.

That Buddy Holly Maple Leaf card of him without the Crickets always seems super cool to me.

Peter_Spaeth 06-02-2018 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Eddie. A couple more from that set, since we don't seem to be getting many on topic posts anyhow.

deweyinthehall 08-13-2018 11:28 AM

I'm working on Tim Wakefield, Dwight Evans and Jim Rice - can't claim any significance there yet. But, I would stack my Jamie Quirk collection up against all comers (seriously, yes, I collect Jamie Quirk).

JoeDfan 08-14-2018 09:29 AM

Joe Torre.

I have the #1 collection on PSA; and I have some game worn (Yankees) jerseys; three bats, including one I just picked up here from a Net54 member which is from his rookie season, plus a signed Braves ball with him on it from his rookie season (he only appeared in two games!); plus press photos, etc.

stevegarveyfan 03-28-2019 08:16 PM

Not sure I can lay claim to the #1 spot on Steve Garvey, considering mrmopar's vast collection and the fact that I'm #3 on the Steve Garvey PSA Master Set (and that #1 & #2 have left me in the dust), but I have a pretty fair collection. Mine, however, is limited to his playing years and pretty much just material that has been, or could be, graded.

Here a link to my PSA-graded set, if you wanna have a look-see:
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/alltimeset/17092

Copa7 03-28-2019 09:22 PM

greatest player collection

I concur with Pete and Eddie - nice to see variety.

If everyone collected the same 10 players, it would be boring as hell.

That said, I have a pretty decent Sir Stanley Matthews collection, including a pre-war signed card.

This is a 1/1 that eluded me, but I have hope.

I'm looking for any Ira Thomas baseball cards (1909-1915)

todeen 03-28-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1776594)

I think I am in the running for Aaron Boone. He was cheap to collect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

clydepepper 03-29-2019 02:14 PM

Whitlow Wyatt

I also have a lot of different Billy Wagner and David Eckstein cards...but I don't go crazy in the effort...so, I probably lag behind true fanatics.

riggs336 03-30-2019 08:17 PM

I have every card and pin issued of Riggs Stephenson (Cleveland and Cubs 1921-1934) as well as balls, bats and a few dozen photos. A textbook case of the fine line between hobby and obsession.