Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What should I do? eBay auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249524)

Jim65 01-01-2018 07:52 AM

What should I do? eBay auctions

I have a few military items I picked up at a yard sale. I listed them on eBay, stating clearly that I have no idea if they were genuine or reproductions. I had 2 people contact me, one saying that he runs a museum and the items were definitely fake, second person saying he was a longtime collector and asked if I was willing to deal outside eBay for everything, he thinks the items are 100% genuine. Both guys have impeccable feedback, what would you do? Pull the auctions? Let the auctions run through to end?

I should mention that the auctions all have multiple bids so others must think them genuine as well.

Leon 01-01-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1734497)
I have a few military items I picked up at a yard sale. I listed them on eBay, stating clearly that I have no idea if they were genuine or reproductions. I had 2 people contact me, one saying that he runs a museum and the items were definitely fake, second person saying he was a longtime collector and asked if I was willing to deal outside eBay for everything, he thinks the items are 100% genuine. Both guys have impeccable feedback, what would you do? Pull the auctions? Let the auctions run through to end?

I should mention that the auctions all have multiple bids so others must think them genuine as well.

If they have bids there shouldn't even be a question in my mind. Let them ride....LL

silvor 01-01-2018 08:45 AM

If there are bids, then leave them be. Not fair to the guys bidding.

Jim65 01-01-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1734501)
If they have bids there shouldn't even be a question in my mind. Let them ride....LL

Thanks Leon, thats probably what I'm going to do but it still bothers me that an "expert" thinks they are fake.

Leon 01-01-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1734510)
Thanks Leon, thats probably what I'm going to do but it still bothers me that an "expert" thinks they are fake.

I would feel the same way. But you said this below so buyers should understand.. Quite honestly when I see a seller say something like that I almost always figure it's not real. I think most buyers feel the same way. If someone is bidding they have been fairly warned (though not sure that conforms with ebay policy but that is the least of their worries).

." I listed them on eBay, stating clearly that I have no idea if they were genuine or reproductions."

megalimey 01-01-2018 10:37 AM

link to ebay listing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1734497)

a link to the ebay listing would be nice who knows could get you even more action

D. Bergin 01-01-2018 11:35 AM

Did the guy from the "museum" who thought they were fake, also put in a bid or offer to buy them from you?

Jim65 01-01-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1734558)
Did the guy from the "museum" who thought they were fake, also put in a bid or offer to buy them from you?

No, he didn't :)

steve B 01-02-2018 09:18 AM

I think it would depend on what the items were. Some stuff is faked a lot, to the point I pretty much assume it's fake when I see one. (Like any Nazi dagger, not that I'd buy one unless it was dirt cheap and I could flip it.)

Other stuff isn't faked as much, but is kinda common, and has more problems with pieces being combined so the actual year/era isn't clear.