Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   NCAA playoffs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343436)

Peter_Spaeth 12-02-2023 10:14 PM

NCAA playoffs

What a mess. Georgia, number one all year, loses by 3 and may be out.

New #1 Michigan of course is in,.

New #2 I assume Washington is in.

Florida State was #4 and they remain unbeaten, but putting them in is a waste because their QB is out. Still, unbeaten probably is in.

So now what? Georgia lost one game by a FG after being #1 all year. But you can't put them in over Alabama with one loss who beat them. But you can't put Alabama in over Texas with one loss who beat Alabama.

Chaos.

NiceDocter 12-02-2023 10:37 PM

the 4 best

4 best teams..... Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Michigan. Washington and FlaState can start crying about it. But this aint gonna happen..... and we didnt even mention Ohio State with only 1 loss to undefeated Michigan.

frankbmd 12-02-2023 10:38 PM

Relegation would eliminate chaos and offer many more competitive tilts all season long. Think outside the box.

cgjackson222 12-03-2023 04:32 AM

I think the selection committee will go with 1) Michigan 2) Wash 3) Alabama 4) Florida State.

I think Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, Mizzou, and other teams would beat Florida St under these circumstances. But they can’t keep them out, because they are undefeated.

Shoeless Moe 12-03-2023 06:58 AM

If you go by the end of season rankings, which matter way more than preseason or early season rankings, you have the Top 10 teams for the completed regular season.

Then you go Florida State you played ZERO Top 10 teams you are out.

Georgia you beat ZERO Top 10 teams you are out.

That's called play a pussy schedule suffer the consequences.

Michigan, Washington, Alabama, Texas in.

(Although I see the Committee not seeing it how I do and Georgia or FSU could very well bump one of these teams....like Pete said chaos)

cgjackson222 12-03-2023 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2393750)
If you go by the end of season rankings, which matter way more than preseason or early season rankings, you have the Top 10 teams for the completed regular season.

Then you go Florida State you played ZERO Top 10 teams you are out.

Georgia you beat ZERO Top 10 teams you are out.

That's called play a pussy schedule suffer the consequences.

Michigan, Washington, Alabama, Texas in.

(Although I see the Committee not seeing it how I do and Georgia could very well bump one of these teams....like Pete said chaos)

LSU was #5 until Florida State beat them. I guess you are saying that Florida State didn't beat any teams that ended up in the top 10? I'm not sure that's how it works. If you beat a #5 team, obviously they go down in the rankings afterwards.

ClementeFanOh 12-03-2023 07:47 AM

College Football

Good to see the passion here:) CFP committee didn’t get any bailouts, they actually have to work this time. The Cheaters Up North are in, Washington, Texas. I think UGA gets bounced and spot 4 is a dead heat between AL and Free Shoes University. The pundits think the SEC is somehow entitled to a spot, so FSU/AL gets really dicey. Hard to keep out an undefeated P5 conference champ. It’s really tight. Trent King

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 08:48 AM

I think it will be Michigan Washington, Florida State and Alabama.
I think it should be Michigan, Washington, Alabama and either Texas or Georgia. Probably Georgia. Texas lost to Oklahoma and barely won several games. You could make a case for Ohio State as well I suppose.

Shoeless Moe 12-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2393753)
LSU was #5 until Florida State beat them. I guess you are saying that Florida State didn't beat any teams that ended up in the top 10? I'm not sure that's how it works. If you beat a #5 team, obviously they go down in the rankings afterwards.

Yah I don't put much into early season rankings....when it's all said and done the Final Rankings mean the most.

Pretty sure they will put Florida State in. I'm just saying I wouldn't.

I think they will put the 3 undefeateds in. It's the least controversial way of doing things, and that's what they tend to do.

And then it comes down to 4 teams with 1 loss (Georgia, Alabama, Texas & Ohio State) for the 4th spot.

Ohio State is out because they beat no top teams, Georgia should be out because they too beat no top teams and lost the conference championship to Alabama, so you can't put them in over them. That leaves Alabama and Texas. Texas beat Alabama so they should get the 4th spot.

Not necesarily the best top 4 teams but I think that's how they will do it.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Texas (Alabama could get in over Texas if they make the SEC is the best conference argument, but is it?)

ClementeFanOh 12-03-2023 09:00 AM

Cfp

Shoeless Moe- to answer the question, SEC clearly isn’t the best conference this year. Past results aren’t supposed to count, and the bulk of SEC is poor (same for Big 10). This chairman has directly stated the “best” 4 teams will get in. There is a significant difference between “best” and “ most deserving”. Once the 4 finalists are announced, look at the list of the next 4 out. Then ask yourself this question- how would those 4 stack up against the 4 who make it? Depending on how the committee chooses, the answer may surprise people. Trent King

pawpawdiv9 12-03-2023 09:10 AM

My pick:
1- Michigan
2- Washington
3- Texas
4- Alabama

Leaving Florida St out- due to where the team is NOW.
Back-up QBS, but the Defense is top notch...but i am looking at the WHOLE team.
Despite 13-0, Bama played better teams.

Georgia is out for sure- and the injurys..not the same team they were mid-season.
Sure, you got a month to heal, still OUT!!
I support them, only losing by 3 points as the only loss.

Bama gets in-- SEC and beat Georgia. But dont overlook they barely won against Auburn on a final play. Surely a better team than Fl St.
Would love a re-match in the Finals.

pawpawdiv9 12-03-2023 10:27 AM

Just like i thought--- BAMA is IN!!

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 11:09 AM

They left off an unbeaten major team. Wow.

mrreality68 12-03-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393802)
They left off an unbeaten major team. Wow.

They left them out because of the QB but still leaving a undefeated conference champ from a power 5 conf is amazing

And Any of the 5/6 choices are worthy but I think it is about the juiciest matchup for ratings and since this is the last year of 4 before it expands to 12 next year there is no precedent

Regardless of who they chose their was going to be some controversy and some people upset

Shoeless Moe 12-03-2023 12:16 PM

A little surprising FSU got left out, but good.

FSU would have been another Cincinnati and TCU making it. Great season and fun underdog story, but eventually would get pounded like those 2 eventually did.

TCU lost 65-7 vs Georgia
Cincinnati lost 27-6 vs Alabama

FSU would eventually get pounded as well.

If they beat Georgia then they can cry......but guessing they will be almost a 2 touchdown underdog vs Georgia, so good luck.

pawpawdiv9 12-03-2023 12:27 PM

^^^
So you saying UGA is playing Fl.St in a bowl game???

Found it:
ATHENS — Georgia won’t be playing in the College Football Playoff, but it will still be facing a quality opponent in its bowl game. The Bulldogs will take on the Florida State Seminoles in the Orange Bowl.

The game is scheduled for Dec. 30, with ESPN broadcasting the game at 4 p.m. ET. Florida State, despite being 13-0 and winning the ACC, was left out of the College Football Playoff in favor of Alabama. The Seminoles are the highest-ranked ACC team, while Georgia is the highest-ranked team out of either the SEC or Big Ten. Brett McMurphy of The Action Network was the first to report the news.

The Bulldogs finished No. 6 in the final College Football Playoff standings. Florida State came in at No. 5. Florida State lost its starting quarterback Jordan Travis in its 11th game of the season, but still picked up wins over Florida and Louisville without Travis.

This will be the first time Goergia and Florida State have met since the 2003 Sugar Bowl, a game Georgia won 26-13.

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2393821)
They left them out because of the QB but still leaving a undefeated conference champ from a power 5 conf is amazing

And Any of the 5/6 choices are worthy but I think it is about the juiciest matchup for ratings and since this is the last year of 4 before it expands to 12 next year there is no precedent

Regardless of who they chose their was going to be some controversy and some people upset

FSU has a legitimate grievance, it won all its games with the QB out, did it not? How do you go unbeaten and get left out in favor of TWO teams with a loss?

Georgia Texas choice could go either way although Texas barely won several games and lost to a team outside the top 10.

RCMcKenzie 12-03-2023 05:04 PM

To me the winner of the Orange Bowl will be the de facto National Champion.

Georgia vs. Florida St. Two storied programs battling for it all.

The BCS tourney is for the IBF or WBO title, or a LIV golf event. Maybe the BCS winner can play the Orange Bowl winner on ppv to unify the belts.

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 05:31 PM

Early odds show nobody giving Washington a chance. The other three are pretty closely bunched.

mattsey9 12-03-2023 11:23 PM

As an Indiana University grad, I'm pulling for Washington. Michael Penix gave us some great games before leaving Bloomington.

mrreality68 12-05-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393885)
Early odds show nobody giving Washington a chance. The other three are pretty closely bunched.

All 4 are worthy even Washington

With That Said I think it is

Alabama over Michigan (potential to be an epic game)
Texas over Washington

Sadly Alabama over Texas

clydepepper 12-05-2023 12:10 PM

Ooops!

Peter_Spaeth 12-05-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2394428)
All 4 are worthy even Washington

With That Said I think it is

Alabama over Michigan (potential to be an epic game)
Texas over Washington

Sadly Alabama over Texas

Michigan over Texas

nolemmings 12-05-2023 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2394496)
Michigan over Texas

Michigan won't play Texas. I expect Washington to beat Texas in about the same fashion as last year's Alamo bowl, where many of the same players (and most of the key players) were involved from both teams. Washington won that game by a touchdown and was only tied about half-way through the first quarter, with the Longhorns playing catchup the rest of the day. Texas had no turnovers and Ewers threw for 369 and they still couldn't win. Of course it's a bigger stage now, but as I said, I expect the same.

Peter_Spaeth 12-05-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2394532)
Michigan won't play Texas. I expect Washington to beat Texas in about the same fashion as last year's Alamo bowl, where many of the same players (and most of the key players) were involved from both teams. Washington won that game by a touchdown and was only tied about half-way through the first quarter, with the Longhorns playing catchup the rest of the day. Texas had no turnovers and Ewers threw for 369 and they still couldn't win. Of course it's a bigger stage now, but as I said, I expect the same.

Washington fans can remember the Alamo. I think Texas wins comfortably, but I'd be glad to see Michigan play Washington.

clydepepper 12-05-2023 07:16 PM

I just hope that whoever wins, doesn't kill anyone celebrating (like drag-racing)

(...AND he wasn't held accountable)

Gorditadogg 12-07-2023 02:18 PM

Michigan over Washington.
FSU over Georgia.
FSU over Michigan in dream game.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Beercan collector 12-07-2023 05:18 PM

I really don’t have any regular interest in either team but would be funny to see Florida State beat Georgia

D. Bergin 12-30-2023 06:06 PM

LOL, I barely care about college football, but I hope this ends all talk of FSU being robbed by the rankings committee.

Is DeSantis still suing the NCAA? LOL!!!

If anybody has a grievance it’s Georgia. It was like the 1985 Bears playing the 1972 Saskatchewan Roughriders. The Washington Generals playing the Space Jam team. Not even the same planet.

So what they were undefeated! Opposition matters.

Peter_Spaeth 12-30-2023 06:14 PM

Yup. As I said at the time, Georgia had a legitimate case, having lost one game by one point. What an awful game LOL.

jayshum 12-30-2023 07:28 PM

Things might have been different if the game actually meant something since FSU wouldn't have been playing as described below.

"Georgia scored on nine of 12 drives and gained 673 total yards against the short-handed Seminoles, who were without more than two dozen players because of opt-outs and transfers, including five starters in their defensive front seven, their top two running backs and top three receivers."

Shoeless Moe 12-30-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2400869)
Things might have been different if the game actually meant something since FSU wouldn't have been playing as described below.

"Georgia scored on nine of 12 drives and gained 673 total yards against the short-handed Seminoles, who were without more than two dozen players because of opt-outs and transfers, including five starters in their defensive front seven, their top two running backs and top three receivers."

yah you are right they would have lost 42-13.

enough!

D. Bergin 12-30-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2400869)

What kind of college program are you running when 2 dozen of your players don’t show up because The freaking Orange Bowl isn’t a big enough platform to show up for?

Georgia didn’t seem to have the same problem.

Peter_Spaeth 12-30-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2400877)
What kind of college program are you running when 2 dozen of your players don’t show up because The freaking Orange Bowl isn’t a big enough platform to show up for?

Georgia didn’t seem to have the same problem.

What does this even mean? Did all these players really just choose not to show up? I've never even heard of an "opt out."

D. Bergin 12-30-2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2400892)
What does this even mean? Did all these players really just choose not to show up? I've never even heard of an "opt out."

They probably all think they'll be 1st round draft choices and are "opting out" to avoid injury.

Transfers? Why is that even happening before the season is over?

Renders the whole thing meaningless and is a bad look for the program.

No stakes? I'm sure there were dozens of other teams across the country that would have killed to be in the Orange Bowl with their full roster.

So these players wouldn't have opted out or transferred if they were in the College Playoffs instead? Bull! I don't blame the kids. This is a top-down problem. Glad they got locked out of the Playoffs.

bk400 12-31-2023 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2400902)
They probably all think they'll be 1st round draft choices and are "opting out" to avoid injury.

Transfers? Why is that even happening before the season is over?

Renders the whole thing meaningless and is a bad look for the program.

No stakes? I'm sure there were dozens of other teams across the country that would have killed to be in the Orange Bowl with their full roster.

So these players wouldn't have opted out or transferred if they were in the College Playoffs instead? Bull! I don't blame the kids. This is a top-down problem. Glad they got locked out of the Playoffs.

Totally agree.

So much for student athletics as being a vessel for character building. I'm surprised the NFL doesn't look down on prospects who skip big games and let their teammates down for fear of being injured in a given game. It's the antithesis of what you'd expect from a future professional player.

jayshum 12-31-2023 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2400892)

Started happening around 5-6 years ago. I think Christian McCaffrey was one of the first to do it. Has become more common recently as players have decided it's not worth risking getting injured and jeopardizing future NFL and NIL earnings for a bowl game that gives them no chance of winning the national championship.

jayshum 12-31-2023 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk400 (Post 2400910)
Totally agree.

So much for student athletics as being a vessel for character building. I'm surprised the NFL doesn't look down on prospects who skip big games and let their teammates down for fear of being injured in a given game. It's the antithesis of what you'd expect from a future professional player.

That ship has sailed a long time ago. I doubt the NFL cares and would prefer a player they are hoping to draft stays healthy instead of getting hurt before they can even draft them.

Shoeless Moe 12-31-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2400921)
That ship has sailed a long time ago. I doubt the NFL cares and would prefer a player they are hoping to draft stays healthy instead of getting hurt before they can even draft them.

How many players got drafted from Floride State last year?

bk400 12-31-2023 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2400921)

You're probably right. But I wouldn't draft Caleb Williams high.

If you're an NFL team with a losing record and a bunch of defects -- probably in the offensive line -- why would you draft a guy who who has a clear record of bailing out on his teammates when he feels the game doesn't "count"? What kind of message does that send to all the guys in the trenches who arguably run an higher risk of injury on any given play trying to protect that guy? Or the running back who is grinding out every yard behind the same bad O-line?

Peter_Spaeth 01-01-2024 06:47 PM

Roses are Blue.

nolemmings 01-01-2024 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2394585)
Washington fans can remember the Alamo. I think Texas wins comfortably, but I'd be glad to see Michigan play Washington.

Well you got your wish. Washington coach has to be thankful his stupidity didn't cost his team the game, but IMO the better teams both won today.

mrreality68 01-02-2024 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2401398)
Well you got your wish. Washington coach has to be thankful his stupidity didn't cost his team the game, but IMO the better teams both won today.

I enjoyed both games and the trick play by Michigan was pretty cool

ClementeFanOh 01-02-2024 07:36 AM

NCAA Playoffs

I'll enjoy it when sanctions come down on the Cheaters. I can't recall ever
actively "rooting" for Washington, but that ends next Monday- Go Huskies!

Trent King

Peter_Spaeth 01-02-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2401398)

They were better than I expected, and Texas worse on defense.

D. Bergin 01-02-2024 09:47 AM

Is Penix Jr. playing his way up the draft boards?

I know he's had injuries, but it looks like he's been durable the last couple years. Has his long college career seasoned him for the pros?

He might not have the highest hypothetical ceiling of all the guys in the draft, but he might have the highest floor. Plug him right in to the right system, and he might flourish right away without having to wait years for him to develop.

clydepepper 01-02-2024 03:19 PM

Georgia's last two bowl games had very similar final scores.

But, there was a vast difference in the details.

65-7 did not appear to be a true account of the teams' different strengths at the time, but it certainly does compared to 63-3.

While I applaud players getting more rights (or at least as much as gypsy-type head coaches), the result is a very inaccurate picture of how much better one team is than another.

That being said, IMO, FSU opt-out were wusses.

Georgia was at least the third best team...also MO.

Peter_Spaeth 01-08-2024 09:51 PM

As the say in Ann Arbor, Go Blue.

jiw98 01-11-2024 05:42 PM

If you're an NFL team with a losing record and a bunch of defects -- probably in the offensive line -- why would you draft a guy who who has a clear record of bailing out on his teammates when he feels the game doesn't "count"? What kind of message does that send to all the guys in the trenches who arguably run an higher risk of injury on any given play trying to protect that guy? Or the running back who is grinding out every yard behind the same bad O-line?[/QUOTE]

Even in the NFL teams set key players to get ready for the playoffs.
These college players are trying to save themselves from injuries to possibly be a higher draft choice. The higher the pick, the more money they make. Just look back a few years and look at Jake Butt, the TE from Michigan. He played and had a major injury. Cost him being a first round pick. If you are not playing for the National Championship I don’t blame any of the players for not playing.