Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   So sick of these mini BGS-graded Star cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263681)

Peter_Spaeth 12-24-2018 08:52 AM

So sick of these mini BGS-graded Star cards

2 Attachment(s)
Saw another one today, compare. The minis always seem to be from the same seller.

LuckyLarry 12-24-2018 12:23 PM

Hi Peter I'm not familiar with this card and don't understand. The card graded 9.5 is trimmed?
Larry

Peter_Spaeth 12-24-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1839271)
Hi Peter I'm not familiar with this card and don't understand. The card graded 9.5 is trimmed?
Larry

It looks quite a bit smaller to me than the 9, as have quite a few other cards I have seen from the same seller that I have posted about before. Maybe he just had a huge run of natural shorts?

Laxcat 12-25-2018 07:30 AM

Could the minis be the ones that were printed in Florida in the 90’s? I don’t know much about Star. It would be disheartening to find out the only TPG that slabs Star can’t spot fakes.

mq711 12-25-2018 07:43 AM

Is Beckett lienent on short cuts from all card sets?

Peter_Spaeth 12-25-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1839400)
Could the minis be the ones that were printed in Florida in the 90’s? I don’t know much about Star. It would be disheartening to find out the only TPG that slabs Star can’t spot fakes.

I don't think they're fakes. Either they're just short naturally, or they're trimmed, I don't know. But I've seen quite a few of them.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 12-26-2018 05:55 AM

I've noticed the same thing as Peter. Those cards are not naturally thin, they're trimmed as f*ck. This is really pissing me off.

Arthur

Peter_Spaeth 12-26-2018 06:29 AM

If that's so one is left with two very disturbing choices -- either Beckett can't spot an obviously trimmed card that is clearly short to the eye, or they are doing favors for a large submitter.

Laxcat 12-26-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1839597)
If that's so one is left with two very disturbing choices -- either Beckett can't spot an obviously trimmed card that is clearly short to the eye, or they are doing favors for a large submitter.

Are you trying to tell me that people with a license to print money with zero oversight might pull something shady?

NEVER /s

samosa4u 12-27-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1839400)

A lot of people just believe the stories they are told (without doing any research on their own). For example, one story is the owner of Star Co. took the original printing plates and printed thousands of these cards again in the 90s. This simply is not true. If you look at Beckett's population report, you will see that they graded only 728 Jordan rookies (1984-85 card #101) and 412 second-year cards (1985-86 card #117). If the owner reprinted these cards in the 90s, and there was no way to tell the difference between these and the originals, then don't you think there would be thousands of these cards sitting inside Beckett holders?

Now Peter, if you notice that these undersized cards keep coming from the same seller, then I think this needs to be brought to Beckett's attention. This doesn't look good at all.

Peter_Spaeth 12-27-2018 12:47 PM

This is a very good site regarding Star BKB.

http://www.basketballgold.com/

I have no contacts with Beckett and I assume they would just deny everything given the magnitude of the problem. What TPG has ever confessed to anything except an isolated mistake? In any event I believe their vintage grader reads the board so he can do what he wants with the information.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 12-29-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1839927)
A lot of people just believe the stories they are told (without doing any research on their own). For example, one story is the owner of Star Co. took the original printing plates and printed thousands of these cards again in the 90s. This simply is not true. If you look at Beckett's population report, you will see that they graded only 728 Jordan rookies (1984-85 card #101) and 412 second-year cards (1985-86 card #117). If the owner reprinted these cards in the 90s, and there was no way to tell the difference between these and the originals, then don't you think there would be thousands of these cards sitting inside Beckett holders?

Now Peter, if you notice that these undersized cards keep coming from the same seller, then I think this needs to be brought to Beckett's attention. This doesn't look good at all.

Not the '84 #101 but they printed '86 sets like Crunch & Munch and Lite All-Stars. Those were the 1997 Shop at Home counterfeits. I believe the '86 Jordan set was involved with that as well.

Arthur

Hxcmilkshake 12-29-2018 06:42 PM

I dont think these were faked, the cards in the OP are from the Jordan set. I don't recall cards being shorter...most likely trimmed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

callou2131 12-30-2018 08:56 PM

There is a big thread about BGS graded trimmed basketball cards over on blowout right now. Cards worth 100k and up, trimmed and graded. Gotta love it!
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1255123

Peter_Spaeth 12-31-2018 08:23 AM

That whole segment of the market is a mystery to me. All artificial scarcity.

Lorewalker 12-31-2018 12:32 PM

The elusive GEM MINT 10 grade by any grading company maybe artificial scarcity, the GEM MINT 10 (or any other grade) that is trimmed in order to get the distinction of the grade, is more like fraud and illustrates incompetence of the grading company if they are truly not a part of it.

sushihotwings 01-05-2019 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger (Post 1840438)
Not the '84 #101 but they printed '86 sets like Crunch & Munch and Lite All-Stars. Those were the 1997 Shop at Home counterfeits. I believe the '86 Jordan set was involved with that as well.

Arthur

Crunch And Munch, Lite, and the 10 card 1986 Jordan sets are all original authentic Star sets. They were not Shop at Home sets.

sushihotwings 01-05-2019 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1839950)
This is a very good site regarding Star BKB.

http://www.basketballgold.com/

I have no contacts with Beckett and I assume they would just deny everything given the magnitude of the problem. What TPG has ever confessed to anything except an isolated mistake? In any event I believe their vintage grader reads the board so he can do what he wants with the information.

I agree with Peter regarding the basketball gold website. I have no involvement in the site but I do know the person who created the resource and he is a very passionate Star collector and a wealth of knowledge on par with even Steve Taft. It is a very interesting read and clearly spells out the facts and myths about Star basketball cards.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 01-05-2019 11:19 AM

Holy moly that basketballgold site reads like a jilted lover.

Arthur

sushihotwings 01-05-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger (Post 1842607)
Holy moly that basketballgold site reads like a jilted lover.

Arthur

I told you he was passionate. lol

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 01-06-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushihotwings (Post 1842679)
I told you he was passionate. lol

The problem though is that he's so angry that it taints his objectivity and his judgment. He has a vendetta.

Arthur