Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Hobby Goals (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233142)

Neal 12-31-2016 09:05 AM

2017 Hobby Goals
 
In December of 2015, I realized I wanted a collection makeover. I wanted a primary focus on post war material, specifically on adding a few Mantles and Aarons to my collection. It was a great ride, as I had consignments in a few auction houses throughout the year, bought and sold cards thru eBay and on this board, and rekindled hobby friendships with a few collectors that I once spoke with every few days. Good stuff!

For 2017, my goals are not going to be as broad but focused on a few cards that I have wanted to own for a long time, and get some items back that I had to sell over the years.

- 1952 Topps Mays PSA 3-4
- 1933 Goudey Ruth 181 PSA or SGC 2-4
- 1960 Lake to Lake Hank Aaron
- game used bat of Pete Rose and Mike Schmidt
- start collecting focus on a HOF player set
- consider adding to a vintage Star Wars figure collection

Looking forward to reading some goals here! This a great message board, and happy to be a part of it.

Happy New Year to all!

mattjc1983 12-31-2016 12:15 PM

Mine aren't particularly challenging, but by choice I enjoy this hobby on a pretty limited budget, so it's more about the thrill of the hunt for the right cards at the right price, and spacing them out enough that the spending doesn't trigger alarms to my wife :)

That said:

T206 Walter Johnson (either)
50 Bowman Jackie Robinson
52 Topps Bob Feller
89 Fleer FF Billy Ripken



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNightmanCometh 12-31-2016 12:27 PM

My goal is to continue my Topps run of Braves base cards. I currently have completed '68 through today and I have partial sets from '52 to '67. I want to complete at least 5 years from those partial sets.

DeanH3 12-31-2016 12:36 PM

Many of my pick ups in 2016 weren't even on my radar. So I've decided to go with the flow, have an open mind and see what 2017 brings. There are a few cards I'd like to acquire though.

T206 lajoie
'41 PB DiMaggio
'48 Leaf DiMaggio
'34 Goudey Gehrig #61

I did start a HOF player set a few months ago, so I'll add to that as well.

Good luck to everybody in 2017.

irv 12-31-2016 01:28 PM

No real goals other than "slowly" pick away at my 52 Topps set.

I emphasize slow as I just spent a pile of money and with the CDN still, and to likely remain, in the tank, it will be nothing like the pace to which I collected in 2016.

jiw98 12-31-2016 06:17 PM

I would like to complete my 55 Bowman baseball set. Still need around 50 cards, mostly high numbers.

savedfrommyspokes 12-31-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1615599)
No real goals other than "slowly" pick away at my 52 Topps set.

I emphasize slow as I just spent a pile of money and with the CDN still, and to likely remain, in the tank, it will be nothing like the pace to which I collected in 2016.

Quite ironic, my goal is the same as Irv's...."slowly" pick away at the 52 set. So far I am 311 out of 407 plus about 75 pct of the way with having both copies of the red and black backs. Since many (72) hi #s remain, my goal is to cut the overall 96 remaining down to 48 by this time next year. My other goal is to restrain from collecting other things until my 52 Topps set is done. The latter will be the hardest to achieve.

bnorth 12-31-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiw98 (Post 1615685)
I would like to complete my 55 Bowman baseball set. Still need around 50 cards, mostly high numbers.

I have the same goal with the same set. I am down to an even 20 left thanks to a recent 2 card purchase from a fellow member. I am doing mine in collector grade and only with cards bought/traded from Net54 members.

I have these 11 as extras to trade. 26, 28, 30, 69, 100, 101(corrected), 128, 148, 172, 219, 248

jiw98 12-31-2016 07:28 PM

Ben,
I am trying to go with grade 5-6 or raw equal. I do have 30-40 extras for sale or trade.

Jeff

rugbymarine 12-31-2016 08:36 PM

Been lurking here for a while. Great board full of information & good-spirited collectors.

I'm working on a few players sets, mostly Orioles, from a few different eras. Buying slowly & and focusing on buying the card, instead of the holder. I too work on a fairly limited budget and get a lot of joy in sporadic buys and getting good value for the card when I buy it.

1) Jim Palmer - Finished this one 9 years ago, when my idea of eye-appeal was less than what it is now. Been upgrading slowly for a year and a half now. I'd like to get 2-3 upgrades in the next year, specifically 1971 & 1974 Topps.

2) I'd like to buy 10-12 cards for the below sets that I've been working on.

Boog Powell - Currently 7/16
Frank Robinson - Currently 5/19
Brooks Robinson - Currently 12/24
Carl Furillo - Currently 6/12

3) Outside of what's listed above, I want to get 2 more well-centered HOF rookies this year, after buying two over the past two years.

Happy New Year, everyone!

tonyo 01-01-2017 07:09 AM

My goal is to remain in auto-pilot on my current projects, pare down/organize my collection a bit more, and not actively look to start new projects.

here are my auto-pilot goals:
  1. Adjust the content of my t206 520 by replacing more common backs(P,SC) with less common backs (OM, Sov, Tols, etc) or with cards with backstamps or period writing
  2. t205 set : still need 28 commons, 14 short prints, and 3 minor leaguers. Staying on a strict price limit & Not going for any variations.
  3. early candy cards (e90-1, e92, and their brethren). Looking for all the unique poses across the 6 sets that share common fronts. My checklist isn't organized on that so I'm not really sure how many I still "need"
  4. 51 bowman football. started in June 2016, still need 7 commons.
  5. working on 2 mid 90's sets autographed. slowly chipping away. One I'm at 167/265, the other 310/540
  6. Once I get my collection more organized, I'll probably want to add 3 or 4 cards to make my display case look complete. 1 George C Miller HOFer and 1 Batter Up HOFer are 2 that I know I'll want.
  7. 49b Paige, 52t Wilhelm and Mathews to complete my bowman/topps HOFer base set run 49thru80

    BTW my entire collection collector grade (F/G/VG)


    That's it!

    Happy New Year and Happy Collecting everyone!

ALR-bishop 01-01-2017 08:13 AM

2017
 
i am just going to travel around the entire world and forget about cards for awhile :)

bnorth 01-01-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1615794)
i am just going to travel around the entire world and forget about cards for awhile :)

Sounds like the best plan by far. Take lots of pictures and make a thread in the off topic section to share them. Have a ton of fun.:)

pawpawdiv9 01-01-2017 10:35 AM

Hitting the 4-0 this year. Putting a few things ahead of baseball cards. Gotta think about my health and life insurance and future things around the household. Might make 1-2 purchases, but not seeing too much extra-curricular spending.

irv 01-01-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1615695)
Quite ironic, my goal is the same as Irv's...."slowly" pick away at the 52 set. So far I am 311 out of 407 plus about 75 pct of the way with having both copies of the red and black backs. Since many (72) hi #s remain, my goal is to cut the overall 96 remaining down to 48 by this time next year. My other goal is to restrain from collecting other things until my 52 Topps set is done. The latter will be the hardest to achieve.

Good Luck, SFMS. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1615777)
My goal is to remain in auto-pilot on my current projects, pare down/organize my collection a bit more, and not actively look to start new projects.

here are my auto-pilot goals:

[*]49b Paige, 52t Wilhelm and Mathews to complete my bowman/topps HOFer base set run 49thru80


Happy New Year and Happy Collecting everyone![/list]

2 cards I'd also love to add to my collection.

Good luck. :)

Mark70Z 01-01-2017 12:22 PM

Orioles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbymarine (Post 1615722)
Been lurking here for a while. Great board full of information & good-spirited collectors.

I'm working on a few players sets, mostly Orioles, from a few different eras. Buying slowly & and focusing on buying the card, instead of the holder. I too work on a fairly limited budget and get a lot of joy in sporadic buys and getting good value for the card when I buy it.

1) Jim Palmer - Finished this one 9 years ago, when my idea of eye-appeal was less than what it is now. Been upgrading slowly for a year and a half now. I'd like to get 2-3 upgrades in the next year, specifically 1971 & 1974 Topps.

2) I'd like to buy 10-12 cards for the below sets that I've been working on.

Boog Powell - Currently 7/16
Frank Robinson - Currently 5/19
Brooks Robinson - Currently 12/24
Carl Furillo - Currently 6/12

Happy New Year, everyone!

Sounds like a cool collection and some nice goals for the year. I'm an O's fan as well and mainly collect Brooks Robinson even though I love all the other O's you've listed. Palmer was a great pitcher and will make for a good #1 goal. Would enjoy seeing some of your collection.

So Furio seems out of place even though a great player. Why the collection of his?

rugbymarine 01-01-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1615872)
Sounds like a cool collection and some nice goals for the year. I'm an O's fan as well and mainly collect Brooks Robinson even though I love all the other O's you've listed. Palmer was a great pitcher and will make for a good #1 goal. Would enjoy seeing some of your collection.

So Furio seems out of place even though a great player. Why the collection of his?

You're right, Furillo is out of place!

We moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I got the bug to collect cards again. I had always collected 1963 and newer stuff. I wanted to focus on player sets and key rookies. I also wanted to collect a player from the 50s. I've always loved the stories from that time. However, at my current point in life (30, with kids), most of the big guns of that time, Mantle, Berra, Mays, Jackie, etc would be tough with my current budget.

Then I found out Furillo was from a small town near Reading. I started learning about the type of player he was. Outstanding regular that was overshadowed by the stars and story lines of those great Brooklyn teams.

A few of his cards have become some of my favorites in my collections, even if they aren't the most valuable.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's link to my sets. As much as I can I try to scan everything I have.

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...othersets/2454

(p.s. Check out the Frank Robinson rookie. That's the newest addition and one of my 2016 highlights!!)

Exhibitman 01-01-2017 01:37 PM

For postwar baseball I'd like to do this w/o spending a ton:

--Add another 1968 Atlantic Oil SP; as long as it is a wish list, how about Banks?
--Finish my 1971 Topps Super set (14 to go)
--Finish my 1972 Kellogg's ATG set (4 to go but all Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb)
--Add a few more to/upgrade my Aaron, Koufax and Rosen collections
--Pick up a few more nice 1971 OPC stars
--Upgrade a few Nolan Ryan cards

Neal 01-01-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1615794)
i am just going to travel around the entire world and forget about cards for awhile :)

Nice!

Mark70Z 01-01-2017 04:57 PM

Orioles
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbymarine (Post 1615903)
You're right, Furillo is out of place!

We moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I got the bug to collect cards again. I had always collected 1963 and newer stuff. I wanted to focus on player sets and key rookies. I also wanted to collect a player from the 50s. I've always loved the stories from that time. However, at my current point in life (30, with kids), most of the big guns of that time, Mantle, Berra, Mays, Jackie, etc would be tough with my current budget.

Then I found out Furillo was from a small town near Reading. I started learning about the type of player he was. Outstanding regular that was overshadowed by the stars and story lines of those great Brooklyn teams.

A few of his cards have become some of my favorites in my collections, even if they aren't the most valuable.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's link to my sets. As much as I can I try to scan everything I have.

(p.s. Check out the Frank Robinson rookie. That's the newest addition and one of my 2016 highlights!!)

Very cool on the Furillo. Nice to have background on why people collect what they do. You picked a good one.

Just went through all your PSA items and the cards are awesome looking. A couple that stand out to me are, of course the F. Robby rookie, but really like the '60 Topps Brooks and the '66 Vene Palmer. Those three are my favs.

blackandgold 01-11-2017 08:13 AM

2017 Goals
 
I would really like to finally finish the 1967 set I've been slowly working on for years. I recently got the Mantle, so I'm down to about a dozen high number commons and the Seaver. Thanks to Todd (bbcard1), I was recently able to knock 29 high numbers off all at once. I'm not too worried about condition with this set, as most of them are well loved cards from my youth.

I also need a handful of cards to complete the 1964 Topps Giants set, including two SP's, the Koufax and the Mays, but that's a back burner quest right now. And if anyone knows where I can track down 1970's Advisory Staff photos of Pirates Richie Hebner and Gene Alley, I will gladly pay a finders fee. I have been looking for those FOREVER!

Good luck to everyone with their pursuits.

Republicaninmass 01-11-2017 08:21 AM

I'd like to add 10 new cards to my signed 52 set. It's less than one per month, but January is almost half gone!

Bestdj777 01-11-2017 09:13 AM

I had a really successful 2016, and I'd like to take it easier next year. My goal for this year is to pick up the two Mantle Holiday Inn items I am still missing, grab 4 or 5 of the Yankees game used hats I am still searching for, and otherwise not spend a dime on my collection for the year. In 2018, hopefully I'll be in a financial position to pick up a couple of bigger ticket Mantle items I want for my collection (1954 Stahl Meyer; 1953 Briggs Meats).

sedin26 01-12-2017 12:52 AM

Just got back into the hobby in 2016 after being away since the early 90's. Things have changed! Particularly the availability of virtually anything I want as long as funds are available.

In 2017, I'll be aiming to complete 1958 Topps baseball in raw form (currently have a bit over 200). I'm collecting it anywhere from Poor to Nr-Mint and am looking to avoid paper loss or creases through the face.

I'm also going to start, and hopefully finish, 1974-75 OPC WHA hockey in NR-Mint.

For the sake of completeness, I'll finish up 1992-92 OPC Hockey, since I started it as a kid.

Finally, if I complete these goals I'll start on 1948 Bowman baseball, likely also raw.

One last thing - I may start to get my 1964-65 Topps hockey set graded - collected it as a kid and it's always been my favourite.

Samsdaddy 01-12-2017 07:46 PM

I probably have an easier goal than most on here. For baseball I want to complete the 1968 Topps Game Insert set.

After that, I will continue to work on the 1965 Topps Set, slowly but surely.

jason.1969 01-13-2017 08:54 PM

Main three cards on the want list are 1933 Goudey Ruth, 1934 Goudey Gehrig, and 1936 World Wide Gum Hartnett. Last two years were disasters for me financially, so these may well be on my 2018 list as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jchcollins 01-14-2017 10:06 AM

2017 Hobby Goals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjc1983 (Post 1615555)
...and spacing them out enough that the spending doesn't trigger alarms to my wife :)


LOL, you just described my entire collecting philosophy. I normally buy cards twice a year - with Christmas and birthday money. Back before I was married I had some impressive cards in the collection that I spent way too much money on ('49 Leaf Ted Williams, '52 Topps Jackie Robinson...) but alas, those are long gone now.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baseballfan 01-17-2017 10:35 AM

I am hoping to finally finish at least 2 50's Topps sets

I'm down to
55 t- 5 but I just picked up the Aaron and made a deal for a Clemente rookie so really down to 3

56 t-11 cards

57 t- 6 cards

also have 53t-54t and 59 t started but not that close.

once those 3 sets are done I'll have to see what's next. good to see what everyone is working on

hcv123 01-17-2017 08:03 PM

Collecting with my kids
 
My goals are to continue to expose my 8 and (soon to be) 10 year old boys to the world that is baseball card and memorabilia collecting. One has already been to 2 nationals. We are working on Pirates team sets from 1952-1973 (Clemente years) - did they have to have so many high numbers in the 52 set!? For a crappy team they have pricey cards! . Always on the lookout for the very few Clemente items on my want list - anyone happen to know the whereabouts of a 1960 complete Bazooka box with Clemente?

Hardspun8 01-25-2017 11:24 PM

Ty Cobb T206 (bat off shoulder)
1953 Topps Mantle
1939 Play Ball Ted Williams
1951 Bowman Willie Mays Rookie-This on is finally done :)

Not many cards, but they will take some time to get one that I love.

Neal 06-28-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1615502)

- 1952 Topps Mays PSA 3-4
- 1933 Goudey Ruth 181 PSA or SGC 2-4
- 1960 Lake to Lake Hank Aaron
- game used bat of Pete Rose and Mike Schmidt
- start collecting focus on a HOF player set
- consider adding to a vintage Star Wars figure collection

with the year almost half over, I figured I would take a look .....

no Mays yet
Added a 32 Caramel Ruth, so that will work! check
Lake to Lake is eluding me
no bats
added and tweaked the HOF set - check
added a 1977 Chewbacca and Vader in fantastic shape - check

g_vezina_c55 06-29-2017 10:51 AM

On my side i just re introduced in the hobby after 3 years of paise. Goals are focus on post war especially mantle cards and would like to have some jackie robinson cards.

Exhibitman 06-29-2017 12:52 PM

At the halfway mark:

--Add another 1968 Atlantic Oil SP; as long as it is a wish list, how about Banks? Nope
--Finish my 1971 Topps Super set (14 to go) Nope
--Finish my 1972 Kellogg's ATG set (4 to go but all Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb) Nope
--Add a few more to/upgrade my Aaron, Koufax and Rosen collections Upgraded one Koufax, added another
--Pick up a few more nice 1971 OPC stars Nope
--Upgrade a few Nolan Ryan cards Nope

ALR-bishop 06-29-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1621589)
My goals are to continue to expose my 8 and (soon to be) 10 year old boys to the world that is baseball card and memorabilia collecting.

Howard--this could be child abuse under today's norms :)

Neal 07-30-2017 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1675531)
with the year almost half over, I figured I would take a look .....

no Mays yet
Added a 32 Caramel Ruth, so that will work! check
Lake to Lake is eluding me
no bats
added and tweaked the HOF set - check
added a 1977 Chewbacca and Vader in fantastic shape - check

added a Lake to Lake

Attachment 282127

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2017 10:41 AM

My goal was to overpay for lots of cards and to sell lots of others for too little, and so far the year has been a resounding success.

Neal 07-30-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1685421)
My goal was to overpay for lots of cards and to sell lots of others for too little, and so far the year has been a resounding success.

I know the feeling!

Cliff Bowman 07-30-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1675724)
At the halfway mark:

--Add another 1968 Atlantic Oil SP; as long as it is a wish list, how about Banks? Nope

I would pay $20 just to see scans of 1968 Atlantic Oil Ernie Banks and Billy Williams.

Exhibitman 08-08-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1615904)
For postwar baseball I'd like to do this w/o spending a ton:

--Add another 1968 Atlantic Oil SP; as long as it is a wish list, how about Banks?
--Finish my 1971 Topps Super set (14 to go)
--Finish my 1972 Kellogg's ATG set (4 to go but all Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb)
--Add a few more to/upgrade my Aaron, Koufax and Rosen collections
--Pick up a few more nice 1971 OPC stars
--Upgrade a few Nolan Ryan cards

Finished the 1971 Topps Supers set at the National. Also added a 1958 Bell Koufax and upgraded my 1976 Ryan. Added a 1971 OPC Russell. Upgraded a few 1974 Topps Hank Aaron specials. I searched unsuccessfully for a Star-Cal Rosen.

Neal 12-20-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1615502)
In December of 2015, I realized I wanted a collection makeover. I wanted a primary focus on post war material, specifically on adding a few Mantles and Aarons to my collection. It was a great ride, as I had consignments in a few auction houses throughout the year, bought and sold cards thru eBay and on this board, and rekindled hobby friendships with a few collectors that I once spoke with every few days. Good stuff!

For 2017, my goals are not going to be as broad but focused on a few cards that I have wanted to own for a long time, and get some items back that I had to sell over the years.

- 1952 Topps Mays PSA 3-4
- 1933 Goudey Ruth 181 PSA or SGC 2-4
- 1960 Lake to Lake Hank Aaron
- game used bat of Pete Rose and Mike Schmidt
- start collecting focus on a HOF player set
- consider adding to a vintage Star Wars figure collection

Looking forward to reading some goals here! This a great message board, and happy to be a part of it.

Happy New Year to all!

with the year almost over, I think it is official for me at least .....

didn't add the 52 Mays
added the Ruth PSA 4
added the Lake to Lake
no bats
started (and stalled) on HOF set (still not sure which direction I want to go)
added some SW figs

and had a lot of fun!

2018 will be here soon!

Happy Holidays and Happy Collecting!

jason.1969 12-20-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1731131)
with the year almost over, I think it is official for me at least .....

didn't add the 52 Mays
added the Ruth PSA 4
added the Lake to Lake
no bats
started (and stalled) on HOF set (still not sure which direction I want to go)
added some SW figs

and had a lot of fun!

2018 will be here soon!

Happy Holidays and Happy Collecting!

Congrats! I really loved seeing your Lakes Aaron...one of the nicest I've seen. Missed the Ruth but wow!! And the nice thing about missing some goals is having some things left on the list for 2018!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jason.1969 12-20-2017 07:49 AM

I didn't post my goals back in January but had several...

1. 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth - NOPE
2. 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig - NOPE
3. 1936 Canadian Goudey Gabby Hartnett - Yes! And I still can't believe how terrific it is.
4. Various Hank Aaron stuff I didn't have yet - Yes to 1964 Topps Stand Up! No to Lakes, Hires, Doubleheader, Deckle Edge
5. Any Isaac Newton cards I don't have - Picked up 3-4 this year.

Am getting to where the stuff I still need is pretty pricey. Am considering going for 1955T or 1958T Dodger team sets to go with my 1956/1957. Or maybe finish my Fleer Ted Williams set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

aconte 12-20-2017 08:03 AM

Congrats Neal!
 
Great Ruth pickup.

Quote:

HOF set (still not sure which direction I want to go)
Yes you do.

savedfrommyspokes 12-20-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1615695)
Quite ironic, my goal is the same as Irv's...."slowly" pick away at the 52 set. So far I am 311 out of 407 plus about 75 pct of the way with having both copies of the red and black backs. Since many (72) hi #s remain, my goal is to cut the overall 96 remaining down to 48 by this time next year. My other goal is to restrain from collecting other things until my 52 Topps set is done. The latter will be the hardest to achieve.

I just missed my first goal, I am now at 358/407 and need 49 more high #s. The low number portion of the set is complete. I still need a handful of RBor BB cards to have one of both. Minus about 75 33 Goudey cards I picked up this year, I nearly achieved my second goal.

For 2018, my first goal is to add 16-20 more 52 Hi#s, depending on who as I still need the JRob, Campy and Reese. If I add one of those, the goal will be 16, otherwise 20. While most of these 52 hi#s are available and can be easily found, it is more of a budgeting issue. My second goal will again be to only use my collecting budget on the 52s I need to finish my set.

NewEnglandBaseBallist 12-20-2017 01:45 PM

Tried to grind out the last cards I needed to complete the 1967 Topps Venezuelan MLB set. Now at 113/150. That goal will continue into next year. 37 left to go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.